• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Baby Milo

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I was under the impression that another sticking points of the Mayweather-Pacquiao discussion were:

1. Top billing. I'm not sure why this is, since Pacquiao is the one with 8 belts and has been int he public eye more by, you know, fighting.

2. Gloves. Floyd prefers more heavily padded gloves, which reinforces the rumour of his brittle hands. I didn't even know that could be an issue, not that it doesn't make perfect sense though.
1.Floyd is the bigger draw period. There is no argument in which Pac deserves top billing over floyd. Floyd just fought a few months ago.so he's int he public eye.

2. Pac made a glove and ring request and Floyd agreed to it.

ImperialConquest said:
Add to that the fact that Pacquiao is just so much more popular than Mayweather at this point.

this just isn't true. Floyd by far puts up the best numbers in boxing. the live gate on the PAc-Marg fight is already less than his fight with clottey.

see5harp

Baby Milo said:
1.Floyd is the bigger draw period. There is no argument in which Pac deserves top billing over floyd. Floyd just fought a few months ago.so he's int he public eye.

2. Pac made a glove and ring request and Floyd agreed to it.

this just isn't true. Floyd by far puts up the best numbers in boxing.

They are both the biggest draws in the sport at this point the fight should be 50/50 at 147. Both are doing pretty good numbers even when they are fighting lesser known (at least in the U.S.) fighters.

Baby Milo

if manny wants to fight its not gonna be at 50/50/.Floyd is never agreeing to that when he is the bigger draw. Manny walked away from 50/50 in december he is never getting that offer again.

see5harp

Baby Milo said:
if manny wants to fight its not gonna be at 50/50/.Floyd is never agreeing to that when he is the bigger draw. Manny walked away from 50/50 in december he is never getting that offer again.

You seriously on some Nega Lampley type dick sucking right now if you don't think the fight should be 50/50.

Baby Milo

see5harp said:
You seriously on some Nega Lampley type dick sucking right now if you don't think the fight should be 50/50.
im being realistic i really dont care what they fight at im not seeing a dime.

Will floyd fight at 50/50? no and he has already said as much

Baby Milo said:
im being realistic i really dont care what they fight at im not seeing a dime.

Will floyd fight at 50/50? no and he has already said as much
early PPV numbers at 1.4 million. the exact same for the mosley/mayweather fight.
yeah, its gonna be 50/50.

see5harp

At this point, let Pacquiao go in there for another freakshow with the winner of the Williams/Martinez fight. You know they'd make them come down a bit maybe to 154, but even if Pac loses convincingly, he is still Manny. Do it Bob Arum, Manny is going to retire soon anyways.

Baby Milo

soujiro_seta said:

Pay-per-view hopes: Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum said the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito fight card could draw twice as many pay-per-view buys as the 700,000 that Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey drew from the stadium in March. Revenue then was $35.3 million.
rofl thats not an early estimate and thats straight from the source of the article

yeaaah lets wait for some official numbers

Esch

Banned
Enough bitching about a fight that's probably never going to happen.

How about a fight that's right under our noses?

williams-martinez-fight-ac.jpg

paul-williams-sergio-gabriel-martinez.jpg

box_fw_williams_martinez_576.jpg

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

EschatonDX said:
Enough bitching about a fight that's probably never going to happen.

How about a fight that's right under our noses?

http://atlanticcityhoteldiscount.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/williams-martinez-fight-ac.jpg[

[IMG]http://robpilger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/paul-williams-sergio-gabriel-martinez.jpg[

[IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1207/box_fw_williams_martinez_576.jpg[

[B][I]HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Looking forward to this, just a fucking shame it's at a catchweight. Al Haymon is everything that's wrong with boxing today.

So hyped for Martinez/Williams II. I'd much rather watch that than pay to see Rampage walk his fat ass into a cage and get KO'd for a paycheck.

see5harp said:
Super psyched. I wonder if Paul takes this seriously this time. Sergio is a baaaaaaaaaad man.
By forcing sergio to come down to 158 I'd say he's taking it seriously and helping to tip the odds in his favour. A win for Williams is bad for boxing which is why I'll be cheering on Sergio.

Esch

Banned
I just want the better man to win. I have to admit i'm not a huge fan of williams, i think he is a guy with tremendous physical talent but mediocre skill. But if he comes in there on fight night and balls hard like he typically does in rematches i'll give him the due credit. The catchweight is lame, but Martinez has fought at JMW before, plus it's only 2lbs below MW anyway.

EschatonDX said:
I just want the better man to win. I have to admit i'm not a huge fan of williams, i think he is a guy with tremendous physical talent but mediocre skill. But if he comes in there on fight night and balls hard like he typically does in rematches i'll give him the due credit. The catchweight is lame, but Martinez has fought at JMW before, plus it's only 2lbs below MW anyway.

There is that but the fact that it's for the linear MW championship and the champ is being forced to take it at 158 is what really irritates me, not forgetting that Sergio moved up because of the weight issue. Pac picking up his paper trinkets at several different weights is bad enough but for the real title? Fuck that.

yacobod

Banned
polyh3dron said:
So hyped for Martinez/Williams II. I'd much rather watch that than pay to see Rampage walk his fat ass into a cage and get KO'd for a paycheck.

OT but rampage isnt going to get KOd by machida, dude's chin is like granite, and only super roided out pride era wand cracked his chin with the wicked knees from the plum

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
There is that but the fact that it's for the linear MW championship and the champ is being forced to take it at 158 is what really irritates me, not forgetting that Sergio moved up because of the weight issue. Pac picking up his paper trinkets at several different weights is bad enough but for the real title? Fuck that.

Agreed on the "real title", although sadly i think that such things are kind of meaningless at this point with 4 recognized belts. Martinez should be the one making all the bargains but that's what happens when HBO has their hand in the pot and you have an official L on the record.

Please keep MMA in the MMA thread.

EschatonDX said:
Agreed on the "real title", although sadly i think that such things are kind of meaningless at this point with 4 recognized belts. Martinez should be the one making all the bargains but that's what happens when HBO has their hand in the pot and you have an official L on the record.

Please keep MMA in the MMA thread.
As a boxing fan, the lineal is the only one that matters to me. The rest of the titles are baubles that help/hinder leverage when it comes to making the fights. It's a shame but what can you do? Without one global body regulating the sport it's always going to be fucked. The Ring title does its best but a lot of fanboys accuse then of bias since the Golden Boy buyout so they can't win :lol

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
As a boxing fan, the lineal is the only one that matters to me. The rest of the titles are baubles that help/hinder leverage when it comes to making the fights. It's a shame but what can you do? Without one global body regulating the sport it's always going to be fucked. The Ring title does its best but a lot of fanboys accuse then of bias since the Golden Boy buyout so they can't win :lol

The Ring is of so-so quality. Sometimes they're on the money with rankings and titles. Other times they're just... interesting :lol

New posters for WM-II are pretty cool

martinez_williams2.jpg

MartinezWilliams2.jpg

Posters look good, hopefully I'll get to see the fight as I'm at a poker night at a friend's on Saturday so staying up until 4/5 shouldn't be too much of a pain in the arse.

Just listened to a podcast (On The Ropes), that crackhead Floyd Sr should get his own shit talking show :lol On a serious note he said that if the fight between PBF and Pac were to go ahead, team Mayweather would demand access to Pac's camp whenever they wanted. I can't see anyone agreeing to that.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Posters look good, hopefully I'll get to see the fight as I'm at a poker night at a friend's on Saturday so staying up until 4/5 shouldn't be too much of a pain in the arse.

Just listened to a podcast (On The Ropes), that crackhead Floyd Sr should get his own shit talking show :lol On a serious note he said that if the fight between PBF and Pac were to go ahead, team Mayweather would demand access to Pac's camp whenever they wanted. I can't see anyone agreeing to that.

I heard about that too. ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. He wants say over testing, split, and now he wants to peep in and see him training? What next? Does he want a 500 word essay from Roach on their gameplan for his son? If you ever needed any proof that the Mayweathers are collectively horrified at the notion of a Pacquiao fight all you need to do is listen to Sr. spit his typical garbage.

"My son will never fight pacquiao"

"If he fight that little man i'll be concerned for his health"

Floyd Sr. already witnessed the destruction of one of his fighters at Manny's hands at ringside. That's all you need to know about how he feels about getting his own son in there with the guy.

As for WMII, peep Williams' training video which is pretty beast (BTW williams is actually a pretty nice guy, no need to hate him based on some of the...unfair nods he's gotten from networks and rankings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBC9111QoTk&feature=player_embedded

should probably work on conditioning less and boxing more :lol:

I used to like him but he's unfortunately been tarnished for me. He's another JT in my eyes, ie a likeable person and a reasonable talent yet being forced upon us by hbo as the next big thing purely because of the strings that Haymon pulls.

Still looking forward to the weekends fight though.

see5harp

Damn Williams getting old school wit it. Straight up whipping chains around and doing human centipede exercises at the local football field. Looks like he's training hard but having him walk down stairs on all fours is some straight abuse of power from his trainer LOL.

Floyd Sr. is so damn senile and incomprehensible that he makes Roger sound brilliant.

cthoaa

I was watching their fight again. (HBO officially replays it tomorrow morning.) That 119-109 score is still disheartening. It's brave, agreeing to go back to that location. Hopefully, the assigned judges are more open-minded. (And maybe he'll enjoy "champion's advantage." :p)

J Tourettes said:
He's another JT in my eyes, ie a likeable person and a reasonable talent yet being forced upon us by hbo as the next big thing purely because of the strings that Haymon pulls.
Taylor, Williams, and Chad Dawson are a bit samey in that respect. "Bad Intentions", "Bad" Chad, and "The Punisher", but it's like there isn't a mean bone between them. They're easy to like, but it can be maddening being a fan: at critical points in fights, there's no sense of urgency. ("OMG! Just finish him!" or "OMG! Why are you letting him do that to you?")

Sergio looks gaunt as fuck on the fight news pics. I'm glad he's also spoken out about the catchweight although equally the fact that he's spoken out about it has me worried.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Baby Milo said:
You're slightly delusional

Esch

Banned
Agreed, his cheeks especially, looks like classic weight drain to me.

Betting on Williams shouldn't be out of the question.

So how will people view a Williams win here? I wouldn't recognise him as MW champ but it'd be a good win with an asterisk for me, much like most catchweight fights.

Leaving for AC in 3 hours, my boi is taking a bus up from DC, gonna pick him up in Bergen, and we're off. :D

We were trying to decide whether or not to stay in AC for the night but decided against it -- I want to watch the Jets Houston matchup tomorrow.

see5harp

J Tourettes said:
So how will people view a Williams win here? I wouldn't recognise him as MW champ but it'd be a good win with an asterisk for me, much like most catchweight fights.

I don't know. He's good in rematches and if he doesn't try and trade the entire fight, he might have had a chance even at a higher weight. He just doesn't ever seem to want to fight tall. Sergio still has a good chance without his power. I honestly could see it going either way as neither of them is particularly washed up at this point in their careers. I really don't think Paul should be thinking about coming back down to 147 at this point. If he wins he should move up. He's got the body to do it.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Fight coming up in a bit. I am here at work again and force to watch it on a stream. Hopefully soon I will get the sling adapter for Dish Network that will allow me to watch my home TV here at work. :D

Top Bottom