• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Esch

Banned
So....uh.... Pascal Hopkins on saturday. This should be.... interesting?

:lol

Or the most boring boxing match ever?

:lol :lol :lol

Hopkins got jobbed.
Pretty much - I had the score 115-113 to Hops, but I didn't count the 1st knockdown for Pascal.

JP did nothing after round 5, it was all Hops. Has anyone other than Calzaghe beaten Hops in the championship rounds?

Kifimbo

Knux-Future said:
Hopkins got jobbed

Not really. IMO, Hopkins won 8 rounds and Pascal won 4. But because of the two early knockdowns, my final score is only 114-112 for Hopkins. It certainly possible to give one more round to Pascal, since one or two of them were close, and you get a 113-113 results.

It looked like he got robbed because he dominated the second half.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hopkins got robbed imo, he won most of the rounds from the 5th on. Controlled the fight, hurt Pascal a few times with good solid body shots.

But with that being said I'm surprised he even got a draw cause I expected them to give him the loss.

It wasn't a robbery - like Marco Huck earlier against Lebedev, that was an even worse decision that Mike Jones winning against Soto-Karass on the Pacqiauo - Maragrito undercard, which is pretty difficult IMO.

The Pascal Hops fight was pretty close, but I thought the strange fact that Hops was the aggressor for nearly the whole fight and Pascal was on his bike a bit would tilt it in Bernard's favour.

Very disappointed with Pascal tonight - he fought the whole fight 100% against Froch, but tonight he looked gunshy, and maybe a bit too respectful of Hopkins.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
gollumsluvslave said:
It wasn't a robbery - like Marco Huck earlier against Lebedev, that was an even worse decision that Mike Jones winning against Sot-Karass on the Pacqiauo - Maragrito undercard, which is pretty difficult IMO.

The Pascal Hops fight was pretty close, but I thought the strange fact that Hops was the aggressor for nearly the whole figfht and Pascal was on his bike a bit would tilt it in Bernard's favour.

Very disappointed with Pascal tonight - he fought the whole fight 100% against Froch, but tonight he looked gunshy, and maybe a bit too respectful of Hopkins.

Respectful? I'd say he looked out of gas at times.

This isn't a new issue, watching Pascal's fights he often seems to have endurance problems in the middle/end of fights and thats something that Hopkins rarely has that type of problem.

Hopskins body shots were hurting Pascal and he basically shut it down in the of the fight.

In the last qtr he picked it up but Hopkins was still landing more shots.

It is what it is though.... with that being said I seriously doubt Pascal will give Hopkins a rematch. If his team is smart... they won't.... even with that I think Hopkins gave a good blueprint on how someone like Bute could beat Pascal.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lebedev got robbed just like everyone that goes to Germany to challenge a German champion.
This is why ive lost interest in boxing.

Esch

Banned
Fersis said:
Lebedev got robbed just like everyone that goes to Germany to challenge a German champion.
This is why ive lost interest in boxing.

I was really pissed about it too. Huck is full of shit, if he had any honor he'd unbuckle that belt and give it to Denis. I hate hate hate German hometown decisions.

Hypocrit much?

In an article at abs-cbn news, Roach said “It won’t be an easy fight for Manny. I think he’s a tougher opponent than Berto or Marquez. He can punch with either hand. But if the fight pushes through, I’ll insist on a drug test. He’s been known to take steroids and it shows in his body.”

dream

I think I just heard it's signed for May 19th. And lol@Ninja Scooter's quote about Roach pushing for drug tests.

dream said:
I think I just heard it's signed for May 19th. And lol@Ninja Scooter's quote about Roach pushing for drug tests.

lol so how many more over the hill zombies is Pac gonna be allowed to fight before he gets called out as a "ducker" like so many of his fans like to do to Floyd? Mosley looked like toast when Floyd fought him and now a year (and a draw against a mediocre Sergio Mora) later Pac is trying to pass this off as a legit opponent? Lets just all admit that both of these guys are hand picking scrub opponents and just want to coast the rest of their careers.

dream

Ninja Scooter said:
lol so how many more over the hill zombies is Pac gonna be allowed to fight before he gets called out as a "ducker" like so many of his fans like to do to Floyd? Mosley looked like toast when Floyd fought him and now a year (and a draw against a mediocre Sergio Mora) later Pac is trying to pass this off as a legit opponent? Lets just all admit that both of these guys are hand picking scrub opponents and just want to coast the rest of their careers.

The ridiculous thing is how the media, as expected, is trying to push this as a competitive fight...only they have to stretch soooooooooooo far to do it. Like this article I just read...

Even as recently as last week we saw a prime example of this as Bernard Hopkins took on 28-year-old Jean Pascal for the WBC Light Heavyweight Championship and millions of fans, plus Hopkins, were crying in their beer after he didn’t get the decision. Well, if you were one of them, I don’t see how you can say the upcoming Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley fight is the huge mismatch that I keep hearing it is -- especially since Mosley’s only 39. Also, Mosley's quite a bit bigger than Pacquiao in all areas except forearm, wrist, and calf.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/hopkins-vs-pascal-proves-pacquiao-vs-mosley-no-mismatch

Esch

Banned
I'm just going to avoid pac mosley like a bad dream. Who gives a fuck about pac or pbf when there's some good shit going down in boxing right now? Alexander-Bradley is on the horizon in January, as well as Donaire-Montiel! Gamboa is going to unify with Rojas or Hasegawa very soon, Martinez-Dzinziruk is on the horizon, and Brandon loudmouth Rios is about to take on Acosta in his first title bout.

Esch

Banned
alexander-vs-bradley.jpg

HYPE HYPE HYPE

anyway idk who's gonna take this one. Bradley's probably gonna eke out a UD but I'm all Alexander here- He's m'hometown boy and we support ours.

War.

Esch

Banned
I think Bradley could certainly crowd Alexander and give him a lot of trouble.... I have doubts about Devon's inside game. However, I think he does well against come forward fighters as well. Hard to say still, IMO.

I heard that the tickets were selling like shite for Bradley Alexander, if so that's a fucking shame. I'm sure it'll give Amir an excuse. Who are they? How many tickets do they sell? etc etc. I hope he doesn't but Amir's camp have a reputation for lowballing fighters and taking the path of least resistance, the exception being the Maidana fight that they were basically forced in to taking.

dream

I just found out (thanks to a Jay Leno monologue) Holyfield is fighting this weekend. That's so unbelievably criminal.

see5harp

J Tourettes said:
I heard that the tickets were selling like shite for Bradley Alexander, if so that's a fucking shame. I'm sure it'll give Amir an excuse. Who are they? How many tickets do they sell? etc etc. I hope he doesn't but Amir's camp have a reputation for lowballing fighters and taking the path of least resistance, the exception being the Maidana fight that they were basically forced in to taking.

It's not like Khan has really had the opportunity to take everyone yet. He did do some impressive stuff against Maidana so let's see what happens next.

dream said:
I just found out (thanks to a Jay Leno monologue) Holyfield is fighting this weekend. That's so unbelievably criminal.

I don't know if I am the only one watching this PPV, but it literally the worst thing I have ever seen in about 25 years of being a boxing fan. Holy crap.

The fights are horrid and then there is god awful musical acts between each fight....

dream

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
I don't know if I am the only one watching this PPV, but it literally the worst thing I have ever seen in about 25 years of being a boxing fan. Holy crap.

The fights are horrid and then there is god awful musical acts between each fight....

I just read Dan Rafael's twitter (he's been liveblogging the PPV) and he sounds like he wants to die after watching this shit.

I just tuned in for the Holyfield fight though...not sure if I really want to watch this but I'll give the man credit - he's in amazing shape physically.

edit: lol@them playing Get The Party Started in between rounds

No doubt in my mind Holyfield quit but I'm glad he did. That third round was hard to watch.

dream

I like how Williams developed an accent right after mentioning Barbados...

Did they say Holyfield had a fight lined up for March?

Mindlog

Nothing is happening... Nothing is happening... Nothing is happening...
Fight's over. No decision. There are a lot of pissed off people in here.

Long's desperate fight to get to the bell was mildly amusing.

Potential game changing news from Dan Hauser at MaxBoxing

Manny Pacquiao is going to Showtime. On January 20th, Top Rank (Pacquiao’s promoter), Showtime, and CBS put the finishing touches on a three-way contract that calls for the May 7th fight between boxing’s reigning pound-for-pound king and Shane Mosley to be televised on Showtime Pay-Per-View.

Showtime and CBS (a terrestrial network) are owned by the media conglomerate CBS Corporation.

Pacquiao’s last eight fights have been televised by HBO-PPV.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum has long been intrigued by the idea of synergy between a pay-per-view provider and a terrestrial network. He‘d explored the idea in the past with Showtime and CBS but nothing came to fruition.

The idea was revisited in December 2009, when Arum, Les Moonves (CEO and president of CBS Corporation), and attorney Allen Grubman were vacationing with their wives in Mexico. It percolated while Pacquiao fought Joshua Clottey (March 13th) and Antonio Margarito (November 13th) on HBO-PPV. Then Moonves made an oral presentation to Arum outlining what CBS and Showtime were prepared to offer.

Among the things that Moonves ultimately promised were 1) advertising spots and live cutaways during the NCAA men’s basketball championship tournament and other CBS Sports programming in April and the first week of May, 2) a four-part countdown series, with either the first or last episode airing on CBS in prime time on a Saturday night, 3) appearances for pay-per-view undercard fighters (such as Christy Martin) on CBS talk shows 4) a May 1st 60 Minutes segment following up on the Pacquiao feature that aired last March, and 5) hosting the CBS Morning Show in Las Vegas on Monday through Friday of fight week.

Much more on the site, well worth a read and I hope it's a success as it'll shake up the circle jerk that is HBO-Haymon-GBP.

Esch

Banned
yeah, the arum-hbo beef is an interesting development. I'm actually okay with it because of showtime commentary on pac/TR fights(hbo team can go fuck themselves), and CBS promoting boxing, i think its great that its being exposed to the public again

EschatonDX said:
yeah, the arum-hbo beef is an interesting development. I'm actually okay with it because of showtime commentary on pac/TR fights(hbo team can go fuck themselves), and CBS promoting boxing, i think its great that its being exposed to the public again

Indeed. The more exposure on terrestrial (Network I think it's called in the US), the better for boxing.

Won't be able to stay up for Bradley-Alexander this weekend but will be recording it. I'm sticking some money on Alexander as he's a 2/1 underdog and I fancy his chances. I think people are putting too much stock in the shitty showing against Kotelnik.

In other news, Paul McCloskey's (who? Irish European champ, not exactly well known and certainly not in Khan's league at this point in his career) camp have rejected the offer to fight Khan. I'm extremely glad that they have as Khan should be fighting a better level of opposition than that, even if it is only a 'stay busy' fight.

I have no idea why they don't take Prescott up on his offer. Everybody seems to think that Khan would handle him easily (he probably would) but then it's not like any of the other proposed opponents will give him that much of a hard time plus Khan gets to avenge a brutal KO defeat. The fight would sell itself over here, guaranteed sell out at the MEN arena and the PPV's would probably be Khan's highest to date.

Esch

Banned
yall gone make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here

Alexander weighed in at 140 flat, Bradley at 139, i'm ready >:]
td1w.jpg

td3e.jpg

td5.jpg

Satyamdas

Banned
Totally anticlimactic fight, even without the Technical decision due to headbutt. Bradley never seemed to get in a rhythm, and Alexander didn't look like his usual sharp self either. Way too much holding and grabbing (mostly initiated by Alexander), but regardless it was just a complete dud. I know Alexander said he wants to exercise that rematch clause but I really hope they just move on to Khan/Maidana/anybody else rather than run this one back. Huge potential this fight had, too bad it ended up a huge disappointment.

I had the fight scored quire closely but despite that it was obvious that Alexander wanted to be anywhere but in that ring. He completely bitched out and I hope the rematch doesn't go ahead.

Have you read the bullshit about the WBC stripping Martinez? OOps, I mean making him 'champion emeritus'. Fucking disgraceful, all in order to gibe JCCjr a chance to get it.

The M.O.B

Did nobody watch Donaire Vs Montiel?

Early candidate for KO of the Year easily.

EDIT: Well technically it was a TKO but whatever, Montiel got dropped.

kagete

Damn he dropped like he got nerve pinched by Spock... Plus bonus points for his seizures on the canvas 3 seconds later. You're already dead, man. Donaire got a pretty picture perfect debut and can probably be setup for a big $$$ fight soon

Top Bottom