• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

JLG-

Cotto vs Mayorga turned out to be an entertaining fight.

I was flipping back and fourth between the both fights. I need to catch a replay of the Martinez fight.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
<3 Maravilla.

The guy is such a class act. Mad props to him.
He was kind of douchey when he was young but now is a true boxing gentleman.

Fersis said:
<3 Maravilla.

The guy is such a class act. Mad props to him.
He was kind of douchey when he was young but now is a true boxing gentleman.
Yeah last night's performance made me a Martinez fan big time.

For the UK peeps, the card on the 21st of May at the o2 arena is looking good. Cleverly vs Braehmer and Degale vs Groves. I hope to fuck that Groves wins but think a Degale victory is the more likely outcome. Also rumours swirling around that Murray vs Mitchell may be on tyhe same card.

Degale - Groves head to head in the Ringside studio

Degale is a prick but not in a good Naz/Eubank kind of way.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Solis heaped yet more shame upon the heavyweight scene tonight, the lazy fatfuck.

His injury seems legitimate actually, and he was giving Vitali better competition than he's had in a LONG time. No doubt his mediocre condition hurt him, being overweight is a common cause of joint pain... I don't think it was a dive or anything like that. He is getting surgery after all.

Goddamn Rigondeaux beat that ass. He needs more and more fights. I really wanna see him and WV2 go at it.

Esch

Banned
I mean it's Brian Magee. I don't really blame Bute for his current comp, he's struggling to stay at SMW so he can't really move up, and most of the talent in the division is either injured or involved in the S6. He's beaten everyone else.

EschatonDX said:
His injury seems legitimate actually, and he was giving Vitali better competition than he's had in a LONG time. No doubt his mediocre condition hurt him, being overweight is a common cause of joint pain... I don't think it was a dive or anything like that. He is getting surgery after all.

Goddamn Rigondeaux beat that ass. He needs more and more fights. I really wanna see him and WV2 go at it.
He landed some nice counters but Vitali still landed more and unsettled him with a glancing blow. The way to beat Vitali isn't going backwards and countering, he beds to be pressured.

I wasn't suggesting he dived, merely that being six foot and weighing 247 pounds for the biggest fight of your life is disgraceful.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
He landed some nice counters but Vitali still landed more and unsettled him with a glancing blow. The way to beat Vitali isn't going backwards and countering, he beds to be pressured.

I wasn't suggesting he dived, merely that being six foot and weighing 247 pounds for the biggest fight of your life is disgraceful.

He was never prepared for the greatest challenge of all: value menus and fast food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkXL3M3JXs

What a waste of talent...

Clott

BakedPigeon said:
I kinda like Mayorga after watching that fight. Sure he is an idiot but at least he is a character.

To be honest he looked pretty damn good, but I think his pride was too big for him to admit he was about to be KO'd again in the last round. People forget everyone Mayorga fight's he gives them hell, everyone from Tito to Mosley, I only think the A level of talent at 154 can do that to him.

JLG-

Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Jorge Solis tonight on HBO.

Gamboa-vs-Solis-Live-Stream.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJA3vGTTIGg

Gamboa looked beastly. Solis looked like a guy from my 7th grade spanish book.

In the LOL BOXING moment of the night, I think he just unified a interim title, which means...uh....I don't really know what that means.

Esch

Banned
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Gamboa looked beastly. Solis looked like a guy from my 7th grade spanish book.

In the LOL BOXING moment of the night, I think he just unified a interim title, which means...uh....I don't really know what that means.

it means the WBA has an excuse to give an interim belt to someone else now.

Roy Jones Jr. Is to HBO what Frank Shamrock is to Showtime. Respected vets in their sports but I can not fucking stand to hear their voices. (finally getting around to watching Garcia/Remillard and Gamboa/Solis)

Hyped as FUCK to see Amir Khan and Andre Berto in a couple weeks. I don't really give a shit about Pacquiao/Mosley though and will just catch the free encore a week later or whenever it shows on Showtime.

Esch

Banned
didnt expect the early knock but ivan is clearly past his best, not unforseen imo

i couldnt really stand him anyway, not a boxer, a runner at the core of his game.

Clott

robbery is a strong word, I would score it a draw. But none the less, That was an amazing performance by an old warrior that makes Pacqiuao's wins look even better.

I was glad to see Ishida upset James "hype job" kirkland, after all their tragedy they needed a big win.

JLG-

Great fight and great card.

Morales should have gotten the nod! dammit! Great performance from one of my favorite fighters of all time.

theBishop

Banned
Hell of a card tonight. If I had known how many good fights and surprises there would be beforehand, I would have paid for the PPV.

I had Maidana winning on points, but Morales definitely made a believer out of me. Maidana was frustrating to watch. In the opening rounds, I thought we were seeing a new "El Chino". He was keeping the perfect distance, landing hard shots with both hands. After Morales' eye swelled up, Maidana got sloppy. He kept trying to crowd and pressure Morales. That was clearly the fight Morales trained for, because El Terrible always won those exchanges. Maidana couldn't get any leverage on the inside. His wild hooks missed the mark, or hit behind the ear.

Maidana has more skills than he showed tonight. He needs a new trainer who can bring out the technician he showed glimpses of.

Holy Fuck @ Kirkland. I suppose it's better he got exposed tonight than end up on Sergio Martinez's mantle 6 months from now. You could tell Max Kellerman HBO was itching to make that fight.

I also enjoyed the Guerrero / Katsidis fight. The Ghost definitely made a name for himself with that decisive, but entertaining win. I only wish he had gotten a knockout or at least a knockdown. By round 8 of his boxing lesson, the fight started to lack drama. Whatchulooking at? A swollen, bloody mess that used to be your face!

Esch

Banned
Maidana obviously thought this was going to be a cakewalk, and he paid for it in punches. I don't believe he was in his best condition or form in general, but he has no one to blame but himself for that.

I'd still go nuts for Mathysse vs. Maidana... I hope this gets made after Mathysse destroys Devon

Esch

Banned
berto_ortiz_poster.jpg

Who you got NeoGAF? Berto is a huge betting favorite, and I think his right hand will play a big role in winning this fight, but in his own way he's just as vulnerable as Ortiz is, we've seen him rocked by lesser punchers and he has holes in his defense that Ortiz WILL punch through. Defensively Ortiz has the edge, Berto has the mental edge/will to win IMO...

pick em fight

theBishop

Banned
Berto is a big puncher, with good speed. I'm not sure what Ortiz's skill is. He's underwhelming every time I see him.

Berto KO round 7.

I don't know anything about Khan's opponent, but Khan looked spectacular in the opening rounds against Maidana. I thought he was overhyped prior to that. Not sure he has KO power though.

EschatonDX said:
Maidana obviously thought this was going to be a cakewalk, and he paid for it in punches. I don't believe he was in his best condition or form in general, but he has no one to blame but himself for that.

I'd still go nuts for Mathysse vs. Maidana... I hope this gets made after Mathysse destroys Devon

Maidana will always come unstuck against boxers with good chins IMO. Having said that, he hasn't looked impressive since his destruction of Ortiz and Cayo.

theBishop said:
Berto is a big puncher, with good speed. I'm not sure what Ortiz's skill is. He's underwhelming every time I see him.

Berto KO round 7.

I don't know anything about Khan's opponent, but Khan looked spectacular in the opening rounds against Maidana. I thought he was overhyped prior to that. Not sure he has KO power though.

Khan's opponent is strictly domestic/barely fringe European level. The fact that the biggest boxing broadcaster over here deemed it not PPV worthy should tell you everything you need to know.

As for Berto Ortiz, I've yet to be convinced by either of them. Berto has had the belt for a while now and has yet to face any real opposition, outside of the Collazo fight which I had him losing. Now he's taking on a known quitter from the weight class below.

Not impressed.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Khan's opponent is strictly domestic/barely fringe European level. The fact that the biggest boxing broadcaster over here deemed it not PPV worthy should tell you everything you need to know.

As for Berto Ortiz, I've yet to be convinced by either of them. Berto has had the belt for a while now and has yet to face any real opposition, outside of the Collazo fight which I had him losing. Now he's taking on a known quitter from the weight class below.

Not impressed.

McCloskey's not a bad fighter, just really inexperienced. This ones here just to tune up, no doubt.

Berto Ortiz should be a fun fight to watch though. Regardless if you like either of them or are impressed by them, it's two vulnerable guys with solid skill and hitting power going at it for a last chance at legitimacy. Should be alright as far as scraps go. I'd like nothing more than to see Ortiz prove people wrong about him here, and this upset isn't out of his reach IMO.

Top Bottom