• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Why the fuck would the ref let it continue? I know it didn't go on much longer but that seemed VERY irresponsible on his part. Dude couldn't even lift his arms to give his hands to the ref. He was basically walking paralyzed.

Esch

Banned
montiel-ktfo.gif

god

DAMN

Esch

Banned
If you make your 10 count, you should be allowed to continue if you're the champ and communicate. That was a proper stoppage.

EschatonDX said:
If you make your 10 count, you should be allowed to continue if you're the champ and communicate. That was a proper stoppage.

I thought the "give me your hands" was part of communication and he couldn't even do that. The ref had to grab his gloves and pull them into him. If you can't raise your arms how will you defend yourself?

Esch

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
I thought the "give me your hands" was part of communication and he couldn't even do that. The ref had to grab his gloves and pull them into him. If you can't raise your arms how will you defend yourself?

They do this pretty frequently, and the refs usually grab the hands to some extent. Should have probably been ruled a KO off the bat IMO, but giving the champ the benefit of the doubt, especially one with a proven ability to come off the canvas for a W, is and shouldn't be out of the question.

EschatonDX said:
They do this pretty frequently, and the refs usually grab the hands to some extent. Should have probably been ruled a KO off the bat IMO, but giving the champ the benefit of the doubt, especially one with a proven ability to come off the canvas for a W, is and shouldn't be out of the question.

Yeah I can see that. Just seemed questionable to me. Shit was scary, dude looked like he was having a seizure like 5 seconds earlier and then you're sending him back out to brawl.

Esch

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah I can see that. Just seemed questionable to me. Shit was scary, dude looked like he was having a seizure like 5 seconds earlier and then you're sending him back out to brawl.

I haven't seen something like that really since the Zab chicken dance. Or this strangely familiar event all of a sudden:

elcea8.gif

Damn, phillipines. You can get it.

Ninja Scooter said:

Yeah I agree with this. Dude had no business going back there and the ref should've known that.

And good call on the Pacquiao KO on Hatton, familiar indeed.

Ninja Scooter said:

The way I see it he was conscious, struggling to get up but for that moment his brain wasn't communicating it correctly so it looked like he was flopping around. I think he was stunned, not really going into a seizure lol.

theBishop

Banned
I don't think the ref did the wrong thing. Montiel was clearly up before the 10 count, stable on his feet and wanted to keep fighting. It's up to the ref's discretion, and I think he was right to err on the side of the fighter's word. No one would have faulted Montiel for staying down, but he made a major effort to get up in time. He's an experienced fighter.

As for the leg spasm, maybe it was a horrible involuntary death-rattle, or maybe it was an expression of anger/frustration. I agree it looked bad, but that Montiel was able to get his bearings enough to beat the count suggests he had control of his limbs.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Mares - Donaire = GBP - Top Rank, can't see it happening unfortunately :(

:( i would hope that something could be worked out because of Arum's new connection with showtime but sadly you are right. Odds are he'll move up and fight WVII for his title to get prepped for big money at FW

JLG-

Huge boxing fan here. Looking forward to talking the sweet science with you guys. I'll be attending the bantamweight tourney out here in LA to see my boy Abner Mares fight Agbeko. Should be a fun night.

Some good fights coming up this weekend as well. Brandon Rios vs Acosta and Antonio Demarco vs Reyes Sanchez.

Esch

Banned
Very premature. When your best W's are over an older Montiel, Darchinyan, and Sidorenko... You don't belong that high. Maybe he can fall in at #6 on my list right now. I like Nonito, but that ranking is too reactionary for my liking.

Satyamdas

Banned
Rios comes off as a huge fucking douche, so I was rooting against his ass tonight. But I gotta give him credit for fighting well. Dude isn't the most polished fighter (which you wouldn't expect anyway at 24), but he punches hard and has a great chin. Well earned victory vs. a game Acosta. I'll still be rooting against his ass next time out. :p

JLG-

Yeah, Rios isn't a great boxer. He's one dimensional but he's good at what he does.

I wanna see Ortiz vs Rios next. Although i know it won't happen.. :(

theBishop

Banned
Hell of a comeback KO for Rios. Those were nasty beat-down shots at the end. Like a mafia tune up.

Good stuff from Acosta too. That's a tough loss, but he's got enough skills to come back against strong opponents.

Esch

Banned
damn. DAMN. we've been getting some ridiculous KO's recently huh?

Props to Rios. Acosta IMO has always been a fighter somewhat slept on. I'd like to see him vs. Soto or Vázquez next.

EDIT: Yeah i also hate Rios, guy's just annoying and making fun of Roach's parkinson's was in pretty shit taste imo. But haters....sell tickets right?

see5harp

I didn't think Brandon's one dimensional style could beat a superior boxer but Rios proved me wrong. Most of my dislike stems from his pressure no frills style, but his inability to string words together doesn't help. Helluva win though. Great ebb and flow to the fight and I hope they give Amir Khan a fight with Tim Bradley. Start making matches that people want to see instead of sheltering super stars. I will never enjoy a great MMA match like I enjoy a competitive give and take of a great Boxing matchup.

Broner's gonna be awfully disappointed in a couple minutes

*edit* Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I thought Ponce De Leon won 7 out of 10 rounds. At leeeast 6. d'oh

Esch

Banned
Nice to see Oscar looking out for his prospects as usual.

SMH.

I gotta say that I'm pretty set on Canelo. He's good at some things, combinations and carries a good but not great punch. He's lacking in defensive ability- and hand and foot speed overall. I think either Dzinziruk or Martinez would have a field day with him honestly, and I'm not sure if he could handle the pressure of a Kirkland or Angulo either, as limited as all of these guys are. He just looks vulnerable to me.

I'm thinking that Zab could make some noise again at 140. In recent interviews I've seen/read he seems to have matured a fair bit and the addition of Sweet Pea in his corner can only help. He looked good against Mabuza and if he's somehow managed to sort his head out I think he's a legit threat.

Would be interesting to see how he'd react to Bradley's butts, whether he'd keep his cool or just crumble mentally as he's been prone to in the past.

the Mabuza Ko for those that haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtsN34dNa0

Iron Mike looked to be really enjoying it :lol

Is it just me or is Cotto vs. Mayorga not deserving of being on PPV? That's a fight I expect to see on HBO for free but Don King is greedy as fuck and spent all that money suing Shine Fights to shut down Mayorga's MMA fight and needs to get return on that investment.

polyh3dron said:
Is it just me or is Cotto vs. Mayorga not deserving of being on PPV? That's a fight I expect to see on HBO for free but Don King is greedy as fuck and spent all that money suing Shine Fights to shut down Mayorga's MMA fight and needs to get return on that investment.

Undeserving fights have been PPV for quite a while now.

Welcome to the death of boxing :)

Also meant to say that Wladimir vs haye has finally been signed. It's to take place in Germany on the 25th June or 2nd July. Should Wlad get injured, Vitali is contracted to take his place

I'm trying not to get too excited yet given the history of this fight but despite my dislike of Haye (loved him at cruiser as he walked the walk and talked the talk) for his heavyweight (lack of) adventures, I'll be rooting for him as that's the only way we're going to get an undisputed champ as he's supposed to face Vitali after before Haye retires.

Esch

Banned
polyh3dron said:

It's a fight not worthy of being signed, let alone PPV quality. Mayorga hasn't won a significant fight since 2007 against a much past it Vargas... He's 37, inactive, has never really been that skilled and arguably couldn't make weight against Angulo. Joke, joke fight.... Cotto should be trying to reposition himself at 154 or 147 for a rematch against Pacquiao by picking up belts against k9, dzinziruk, or alvarez now I guess. Those are all good fights(maybe not k9 :lol) and he could raise his own legacy in the process. Dismantling this shadow of a once good fighter proves little.

As for Klitschko-Haye. Don't give a crap, never have, never will. Haye's chances are pretty much a dream, judging by his performances in this division so far against old Ruiz and Valuev. He has mediocre stamina and overrated skill, speed and power. ... He's not going to OHKO Klitschko, despite the idea people have in their heads. I expect the fight itself to be boring potshots from both guys. Klitschko KO Haye late.

Klit/Haye:

Round 1 - 9: Haye stands on the outside, unable to figure out how to slip a jab. Wlad jabs 900 times. Ties up looking scared to death when Haye gets close.

Round 10: Wlad FINALLY throws a right hand, rocking Haye out of his socks. Goes back to jab and grab.

Wlad by ud 12.

EschatonDX said:
It's a fight not worthy of being signed, let alone PPV quality. Mayorga hasn't won a significant fight since 2007 against a much past it Vargas... He's 37, inactive, has never really been that skilled and arguably couldn't make weight against Angulo. Joke, joke fight.... Cotto should be trying to reposition himself at 154 or 147 for a rematch against Pacquiao by picking up belts against k9, dzinziruk, or alvarez now I guess. Those are all good fights(maybe not k9 :lol) and he could raise his own legacy in the process. Dismantling this shadow of a once good fighter proves little.

As for Klitschko-Haye. Don't give a crap, never have, never will. Haye's chances are pretty much a dream, judging by his performances in this division so far against old Ruiz and Valuev. He has mediocre stamina and overrated skill, speed and power. ... He's not going to OHKO Klitschko, despite the idea people have in their heads. I expect the fight itself to be boring potshots from both guys. Klitschko KO Haye late.

It's definitely got the potential to be a boring, cautious fight with the pair of them circling each other for 12 rounds but I'd have to disagree about Haye's power being over-rated. Putting Ruiz on his arse while Haye was moving backwards suggest that the power is legit.

Personally I rate Haye's chances against Vitali better, think Wlad is just far too cautious about his chin to other too many chances for Haye to get to it. I wouldn't be surprised by an early KO from either although I'm not betting on this fight.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
It's definitely got the potential to be a boring, cautious fight with the pair of them circling each other for 12 rounds but I'd have to disagree about Haye's power being over-rated. Putting Ruiz on his arse while Haye was moving backwards suggest that the power is legit.

Personally I rate Haye's chances against Vitali better, think Wlad is just far too cautious about his chin to other too many chances for Haye to get to it. I wouldn't be surprised by an early KO from either although I'm not betting on this fight.

Okay, in terms of raw power he is good, although you have to admit that is a poor, sorry version of Ruiz. I just don't think his finishing ability is good enough. Sometimes, when he lands a big one he isn't the best at either following up with conviction or with accurate, varied shots to break his guy down.

Haye could outspeed vitali to some sort of decision. But Vitali is tougher than Wlad, and has better ability to deal with guys coming inside IMO. I wouldn't bet on it either, just in case Haye channels Corrie Sanders or Wlad decides to throw a right hand before the fifth round, but I'm gonna still go with Wlad by KO.

A more interesting fight. Bit of a southpaw chessmatch no? I would actually say that maybe Dzinziruk might have the edge here. He's got the better lead for sure and is a great ring general. We'll see in this one if Sergio lives up to his reputation as a "slick" fighter IMO.

sergio-martinez-vs-sergiy-dzinziruk-576.png

EschatonDX said:
Okay, in terms of raw power he is good, although you have to admit that is a poor, sorry version of Ruiz. I just don't think his finishing ability is good enough. Sometimes, when he lands a big one he isn't the best at either following up with conviction or with accurate, varied shots to break his guy down.

Haye could outspeed vitali to some sort of decision. But Vitali is tougher than Wlad, and has better ability to deal with guys coming inside IMO. I wouldn't bet on it either, just in case Haye channels Corrie Sanders or Wlad decides to throw a right hand before the fifth round, but I'm gonna still go with Wlad by KO.

A more interesting fight. Bit of a southpaw chessmatch no? I would actually say that maybe Dzinziruk might have the edge here. He's got the better lead for sure and is a great ring general. We'll see in this one if Sergio lives up to his reputation as a "slick" fighter IMO.

http://boricuaboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/sergio-martinez-vs-sergiy-dzinziruk-576.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I think Vitali could be there for the taking. He was rocked to his boots by Sanders all those years ago so can be hurt and he isn't as concussive a puncher as his younger brother which would also be to Haye's benefit. I wouldn't be surprised if Wlad pulls out injured, Vitali takes his place and Wlad fights Adamek in September instead. Too much bullshit from both camps historically for this fight for me to take anything seriously.

I feel a bit sorry for Martinez, he has been royally dicked around behind the scenes and now has to fight someone who it's extremely difficult to look good against. I would've preferred Pirog - Martinez fom an exciting match-up viewpoint. I'm expecting a Martinez UD but won't be going out of my way to watch it.

Also, fuck the diamond belt bullshit. I absolutely despise the WBC.

Top Bottom