• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Esch

Banned
polyh3dron said:
So, what's the next big fight? The Hopkins fight was awesome, can't wait for some more good boxing.

Is the Morales/Maidana rematch happening?

Froch Johnson june 4 showtime baby, fight of the year candidate >:]

zbik chavez is the same night but IDGAF about that mess

EschatonDX said:
Froch Johnson june 4 showtime baby, fight of the year candidate >:]

zbik chavez is the same night but IDGAF about that mess
Oh yeah I forgot about that one, thanks for the reminder.

Winner fights Ward in something like October I'm guessing?

Khan - Judah is on for the 23rd July. looking forward to this and am actually glad that the Bradley fight didn't materialise as this should be a much more entertaining scrap. Judah is way past his best but still has enough speed and power to trouble Khan and if he gets him hurt he'll be able to finish. However, if he doesn't manage to take Khan out in the first half then the match has Khan points victory written all over it.

Esch

Banned
Bradley's been saying some disappointing shit about the Khan fight. It's pretty clear that he's passing up doing something special at 140lbs to shoot for a money fight with Pacquiao.

EschatonDX said:
Bradley's been saying some disappointing shit about the Khan fight. It's pretty clear that he's passing up doing something special at 140lbs to shoot for a money fight with Pacquiao.
HBO fucked up by guaranteeing both Bradley and Alexander a date and $1.2m each for their next fights on the network just to get them to face each other. Now Bradley is content to sit out his contract with Shaw. Hopefully Khan Bradley can happen further down the line, despite not having the potential to be that great a fight at least we should get an undisputed champ.

Esch

Banned
Honestly I read some shit where bradley straight up admitted he was going to wait it out and try and go for the pacweather sweepstakes(IE he is signing with top rank after his shaw contract expires) and honestly, he should fucking be stripped for that type of shit. The ABC orgs need to focus on working together to recognize a single champ... We could have easily had an undisputed/Ring champ here and its being passed by..

EschatonDX said:
Honestly I read some shit where bradley straight up admitted he was going to wait it out and try and go for the pacweather sweepstakes(IE he is signing with top rank after his shaw contract expires) and honestly, he should fucking be stripped for that type of shit. The ABC orgs need to focus on working together to recognize a single champ... We could have easily had an undisputed/Ring champ here and its being passed by..

I thought Bradley was already the ring champ after the Alexander stinkfest? Anyway, I see that point but I think Bradley is right to expect his promoter to live up to his end of the bargain. Do you think if Bradley wasn't living up to his end Shaw would let him off the hook? No way IMO, so I'm glad to see a promoter coming off worse for a change.

Shaw wasn't bothered about the Khan fight previously but now that he knows it'll be his last fight with Bradley he's pressuring him into it to make some moolah off him.

Fuck Shaw for doing it, fuck HBO for their ridiculous guarantee and fuck Pac and Mayweather for holding up any division near them.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
I thought Bradley was already the ring champ after the Alexander stinkfest? Anyway, I see that point but I think Bradley is right to expect his promoter to live up to his end of the bargain. Do you think if Bradley wasn't living up to his end Shaw would let him off the hook? No way IMO, so I'm glad to see a promoter coming off worse for a change.

Shaw wasn't bothered about the Khan fight previously but now that he knows it'll be his last fight with Bradley he's pressuring him into it to make some moolah off him.

Fuck Shaw for doing it, fuck HBO for their ridiculous guarantee and fuck Pac and Mayweather for holding up any division near them.

Nah, it was always intended that the Ring champ would be the guy who came out on top between Maidana-Khan and Alexander-Bradley... beltwise the winner would have been undisputed as well. If I were Shaw i'd pressure him to it too. Bradley doesn't fucking understand one thing: he is not a draw. Period. On TV or in live gates. Anywhere. He has no real name even among domestic peeps. I'd say Khan and Bradley have equal name recognition here in America. That's pretty sad. Amir gave him 50-50 which is generous considering who'd be pulling the numbers. Bradley has a chance here to build up resume/legacy and qualify himself more for a Pacquiao fight anyway. He'd also be making a damn good amount of scrill off the fight too, more than a mil easy. I don't blame Shaw at all. He's pushed Bradley as well as he can despite the guy having no KO power and self-selling skills and he's about to get dicked for all that work when Bradley signs to Top Rank or something. Shaw generally cares about his fighters, probably one of the least exploitative promoters out there along with DiBella.

I know you hate Khan so it's hard for you to digest... But Bradley and Bradley alone is responsible for this shit.

Esch

Banned
Froch-v-Johnson.jpg

fight of the year contender baby

EschatonDX said:
Nah, it was always intended that the Ring champ would be the guy who came out on top between Maidana-Khan and Alexander-Bradley... beltwise the winner would have been undisputed as well. If I were Shaw i'd pressure him to it too. Bradley doesn't fucking understand one thing: he is not a draw. Period. On TV or in live gates. Anywhere. He has no real name even among domestic peeps. I'd say Khan and Bradley have equal name recognition here in America. That's pretty sad. Amir gave him 50-50 which is generous considering who'd be pulling the numbers. Bradley has a chance here to build up resume/legacy and qualify himself more for a Pacquiao fight anyway. He'd also be making a damn good amount of scrill off the fight too, more than a mil easy. I don't blame Shaw at all. He's pushed Bradley as well as he can despite the guy having no KO power and self-selling skills and he's about to get dicked for all that work when Bradley signs to Top Rank or something. Shaw generally cares about his fighters, probably one of the least exploitative promoters out there along with DiBella.

I know you hate Khan so it's hard for you to digest... But Bradley and Bradley alone is responsible for this shit.

I don't hate Khan, I pity the fool!

On a serious note, I don't really 'hate' anyone. I'm not Khan's biggest fan that's for sure. I hate the hype that surrounds him, maybe there's not as much in the US but we've been bombarded with bullshit in the UK and it's got to the point where a lot of boxing fans have had enough. Looking at Khan away from the hype and I see a boxer with extremely good handspeed who can put his punches together well, over-rated power, below average chin and someone who has only ever faced two bangers in his life. One had him out within a minute and the other had him out on his feet and maybe would have had him stopped if he wasn't the house fighter.

There's a reason why team Khan were so desperate to get Bradley in the ring ie powder puff puncher with a belt. The fact that they were chasing Morales and offered him $1.5m before Judah also speaks volumes to me.

I'm not particularly a Bradley fan either, at least not of his fights. Boring and butt filled seems to be the order of the day for most of them but you won't catch me shedding a tear for a promoter. If Bradley isn't filling seats is it all his fault or does the promoter have to take some of the blame?

As for the 50/50 from Khan being generous as Khan would be pulling the numbers, I don't agree with that. Khan has yet to show that he has the travelling fanbase that Hatton had (they were giving away tickets for Maidana - Khan in Vegas) and has yet to sell more than 50k PPV buys in the UK. As far as I'm concerned neither of them are particularly big draws at the gate in the US.

Anyway, enough of my whinging. I'm really looking forward to Saturday's Johnson - Froch fight. Unfortunately I think it may be a let down as Froch knows he has to box to win rather than getting involved in a brawl as that'll play right into Johnson's hands. I'd like to see Froch win but despite that am hoping as a fan to see a brawl develop at some point.

HYPED for Froch vs. Johnson.

I'll probably be DVRing it though because the TUF finale is also on Spike on Saturday and the main event should be an EPIC fight as well.
EschatonDX said:
fight of the year contender baby
It'll be a tall order for it to top Hopkins/Pascal 2 or Maidana/Morales.

polyh3dron said:
HYPED for Froch vs. Johnson.

I'll probably be DVRing it though because the TUF finale is also on Spike on Saturday and the main event should be an EPIC fight as well.
We've got a good night of boxing in the UK and it's not on ppv either.

We've got Rees v Watson for European lightweight title, Kessler's comeback and Froch Johnson, I can't wait!

Esch

Banned
polyh3dron said:

Maidana Morales and Hopkins Pascal II were only really good fights in the sense that everyone got hyped up about the old guard that should be retired schooling new dudes with tons of holes in their game.... I've seen much better to be honest. Froch-Johnson is a very competitive fight, if Glencoffe is in a similar condition like he was against Green, i think you can expect a great firefight. As a pressure fighter glen is much much better than Abraham.... Froch isn't good enough of an outboxer to carve circles around this guy. It'll be war.

JLG-

polyh3dron said:
Don't forget Oritz vs Berto, Arce vs Vazquez jr, Juanma vs Salido (huge upset), and Rios vs Acosta.

Pretty good year for boxing so far.

Completely random, but I'm watching Tyson/Douglas on Espn and it has fake commentary with some guy pretending to be amazed at the fight. It ruins the whole thing. Why can't the real play by play be used?

EschatonDX said:
great fight. froch deserved it. sketchy score totals but there it is
117 - 111 was a bit wide but I thought 116 - 112 was bang on the money. Froch is lucky that Ward can't crack otherwise he'd be on the wrong end of a ko in the final.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, i expect Ward to take him to secondary education for sure. Chavez Jr.-Zbik was a really fun fight too, i think Julio deserved the decision as well

JLG-

Froch - Johnson was great. Both these dudes have great chins. Can't wait for the final.

Chavez jr - Zbik turned out to be a pretty good scrap as well. Really close fight. Those were some vicious body shots Zbik was taking surprised he didn't go down.

JLG- said:
Don't forget Oritz vs Berto, Arce vs Vazquez jr, Juanma vs Salido (huge upset), and Rios vs Acosta.

Pretty good year for boxing so far.
Yup I've seen all those and they were great too.

Boxing has had a helluva year and it's only halfway through.

Baby Milo

from floyds' twitter

Floyd Mayweather
My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship.

JLG-

Unless Victor develops a jab between now and then, pretty easy UD for Floyd, tbh.

edit: that being said this is a great fight for boxing. Victor does have a punchers chance, should be fun.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Baby Milo said:
from floyds' twitter

Floyd Mayweather
My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship.

Chuuch!

Victor Ortiz will play right into Floyd's hands. He eats overly aggressive dudes like that for lunch. Still it's a much better fight pick than Manny has taken recently.

EschatonDX said:
Just heard about it.

better be a tuneup for a certain asian dude

ortiz is honestly not ready
I agree. Berto was unproven (Collazo beat him IMO) at world level and Ortiz was in a life and death struggle with him (hell of a fight though).

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
I agree. Berto was unproven (Collazo beat him IMO) at world level and Ortiz was in a life and death struggle with him (hell of a fight though).

I wouldn't say it was life and death...It was a competitive fight with some rocky moments for Ortiz that he clearly dominated as an underdog

EschatonDX said:
I wouldn't say it was life and death...It was a competitive fight with some rocky moments for Ortiz that he clearly dominated as an underdog

Life and death was more referring to the 6th (I think) round where he got knocked down and looked to have that quit in his eyes again and probably would've had he not knocked Berto down. Still, he proved all the naysayers wrong (me included) however unproven Berto was.

I'm expecting a Floyd win in 6/7, Ortiz is going to be eating so many shots coming forward the way he does.

J Tourettes said:
Life and death was more referring to the 6th (I think) round where he got knocked down and looked to have that quit in his eyes again and probably would've had he not knocked Berto down. Still, he proved all the naysayers wrong (me included) however unproven Berto was.

I'm expecting a Floyd win in 6/7, Ortiz is going to be eating so many shots coming forward the way he does.

I fully expect Ortiz to come out like a man on fire, and he may even win a few of the early rounds by outworking Floyd. Definitely some danger early with Ortiz winging shots and Floyd dealing with ring rust. Once Floyd makes his adjustment around round 4 or so, it's all over for Ortiz. This should play out exactly like the Hatton fight except for Ortiz may actually land a shot or two and there will be less singing from the crowd.

So, anyone expecting this Saul Alvarez fight this weekend to be any good? I've seen Alvarez fight a couple times on some PPV undercards, dude seems to be pretty good.

smurfx

get some go again
polyh3dron said:
So, anyone expecting this Saul Alvarez fight this weekend to be any good? I've seen Alvarez fight a couple times on some PPV undercards, dude seems to be pretty good.
yeah his fights are exciting because he is always coming forward like most mexican boxers.

smurfx

get some go again
btw i thought margarito had a detached retina and was most likely never fighting again? don't detached retinas pretty much mean the end of your career?

Esch

Banned
smurfx said:
btw i thought margarito had a detached retina and was most likely never fighting again? don't detached retinas pretty much mean the end of your career?

Nope. You can get them repaired with surgery. Although I don't think Marg had a detached retina.

As for Alvarez, undecided. I think he's getting cocky and slacking at his craft because of his absurd fame in mexico. we'll see though

I'm not quite sold on Alvarez yet and his showing against Matthew Hatton (who is a pretty average borderline European level boxer) was shite.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Boxing day :)

Alvarez vs Rhodes - Expect Alvarez to take this one easily.
Litzau vs Broner - This should be a good entertaining fight.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
J Tourettes said:
I'm not quite sold on Alvarez yet and his showing against Matthew Hatton (who is a pretty average borderline European level boxer) was shite.

Alvarez is good on offense but really needs to work on his defense.

SSGMUN10000 said:
Boxing day :)

Alvarez vs Rhodes - Expect Alvarez to take this one easily.
Litzau vs Broner - This should be a good entertaining fight.
Not sure Canelo takes it easily as Rhodes is a pretty decent boxer but his better days are behind him now. Having said that, Rhodes looked like a skeleton at the weigh in so I suppose it could *possibly* turn into an easy night.

Despite that, a Rhodes upset victory wouldn't surprise me too much.

Top Bottom