• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Esch

Banned
bute with a fantastic KO, nice, concise, short and explosive. that's a real boxer-puncher. I believe in this romanian bastard, i just want him to get it over and leave 68. gonna take forever for him to get a real fight there and he'll outgrow the division

Baby Milo said:
Dat Bute KO
Of course Bootay gets a KO when he's not on HBO or Showtime, lol.

HYPEHYPEHYPE for Rios vs. Antillon tonight.. If I had a friend who could afford it and wanted to go I'd probably be there right now, but I'll settle for Showtime.

Esch

Banned
Ehhhh, i wanted a KO, but damn, electrifying

FUCK

williams lara must be on that boring shit right now, Rios is a wild man

Esch

Banned
yeah, i laughed out loud at roy saying that shit when he's been having issues composing a sentence.

Williams' face is a bloody mask, Lara doing his best Hasim Rahman impression, but a pretty underwhelming fight

WHAT TTHE FUCK ROBBERY

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

EschatonDX said:
even the croooked ass HBO team is thinking it's egregious, awful, awful.

max goin in.

People who thought Williams lost the fight:
HBO
Williams
Williams' manager
Everyone with eyes

People who thought Williams won:
Atlantic City judges

Crap like this makes me miss Larry Merchant, just because I think he'd have told everyone in the ring and ringside how insane this is. Then he'd have said something to make my head explode.

jchap

Tonight was the perfect example of what's good and bad in boxing today. Great action fights are still possible if you know where to look, but the politics of the game leads to downright obviously crooked results at times. The sport needs a singular regulatory body and a way to eliminate crooked promoters, referees, and judges. It's sad that we still see the likes of Gale Van Hoy judging boxing matches.

Oh boxing.

Rios wins an awesome crowd pleasing fight, and then the sport reverts to it's shitty self. Lame.

Lulz of the night was Roy Jones giving anyone advice about taking unnecessary shots.

Oh and hey HBO, it was Quintana that had the blueprint

Esch

Banned
I reckon Rios would beat Marquez.

He's never looked good against crowders. Juan Diaz and Katsidis gave him issues in different forms. Rios hits harder, has a better chin than both, and never stops coming forward. It's hard for me to admit but the old man might be lucky going out on his shield with Pac instead of losing to a guy like Bam Bam.

jchap

EschatonDX said:
I reckon Rios would beat Marquez.

He's never looked good against crowders. Juan Diaz and Katsidis gave him issues in different forms. Rios hits harder, has a better chin than both, and never stops coming forward. It's hard for me to admit but the old man might be lucky going out on his shield with Pac instead of losing to a guy like Bam Bam.

Rios would have to get to him early cause once Marquez adapted it would begin to look like the later rounds against Katsidis where he abused him with precision combinations.

Esch

Banned
jchap said:
Rios would have to get to him early cause once Marquez adapted it would begin to look like the later rounds against Katsidis where he abused him with precision combinations.
Katsidis is nowhere near as good though, and Rios has shown he can go long distances while maintaining his power and dangerousness . Rios is faster, turns his punches over better, has better lead hand play, and picks his shots much better than Kats.

jchap said:
Tonight was the perfect example of what's good and bad in boxing today. Great action fights are still possible if you know where to look, but the politics of the game leads to downright obviously crooked results at times. The sport needs a singular regulatory body and a way to eliminate crooked promoters, referees, and judges. It's sad that we still see the likes of Gale Van Hoy judging boxing matches.
Well, for that to happen we either need a federal athletic commission or we stop allowing government to regulate boxing and MMA.

jchap

EschatonDX said:
Katsidis is nowhere near as good though, and Rios has shown he can go long distances while maintaining his power and dangerousness . Rios is faster, turns his punches over better, has better lead hand play, and picks his shots much better than Kats.

I think you are swayed by last night's fight where Rios was fighting a guy who had zero defense and tried to slug with him. In the Acosta fight, he was easily outboxed for six rounds before finally wearing down his opponent because of fatigue. The pressure had a lot to do with causing the fatigue but I don't think Marquez would fold the same way. It would be a great fight and I would love to see it but I wonder about Marquez's future after his inevitable loss to Pac.

It would be great to see the torch officially passed to Rios in the LW division!

Esch

Banned
By last night, yes, but this kid's been on a winning streak for a long time, and i jus think he has the style and ability(and that JMM is always oversold)

Marquez/Rios would be an absolute war. I think Rios would grind it out to a late stoppage. Prime Marquez beats him, but Marquez coming off a loss to Manny (in theory) and then dropping weight........

The Williams/Lara judging was god awful. A few weeks ago on Friday Night Fights, they showed a camera angle from the "judges view" and it was a pretty shitty view of the action. Maybe the judges should be in the locker area watching it on a network feed without announcers.

Esch

Banned
Lesssss go!

hbo_khan_judah200v2.jpg

EschatonDX said:
Lesssss go!

hbo_khan_judah200v2.jpg
Fuck yes. I wish it was Mathysse vs. Khan instead because dude's been robbed twice now but I'll take this. It's a good measuring stick fight for Khan.

Regardless, I can't stand Judah and will be rooting for Khan. Always rooting for Wild Card guys, the gym is like 4 blocks from where I live.

Top Bottom