• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Broner is the worst!! How he's back on tv after his last performance is beyond me. I think he'll use his awesome style to lull Litzau to sleep, literally. Litzau falls asleep from boredom and gets counted out.

I don't expect it to happen but I'll cheer against Canelo for the lulz. So much hype for so little substance.

Esch

Banned
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
I don't expect it to happen but I'll cheer against Canelo for the lulz. So much hype for so little substance.

Ryan Rhodes is a very undersold operator, i'll be rooting for dude as well.

Very surprised by Broner, especially after his last "performance".

Canelo did what he had to do, but I don't want to see him against another Euro guy in a glorified sparring session again. A fight against Angulo would be good, but I'll take anyone with the will to try and win. HBO needs to say NO to these shitty fights. If his management won't make an at least competitive fight, then show something else.

2 things that also stuck out to me:

How sad is it that even the announcers acknowledge that Rhodes wasn't winning a decision unless Canelo left in a box?

Rhodes post fight says "I'm still # 1 in Europe". Thanks for letting me know that I never want to watch anyone ranked 2 or lower in Europe fight ever.

JLG-

That was a terrible showing by Rhodes, people where hyping him up. Nonetheless Canelo did what he had to do, I love the way this kid puts his punches together and lets not forget he's only 20. I also noticed an improvment with his head movement. Which was one of my biggest gripes about him, or maybe it was just the fact that Rhodes wasn't throwing..
KuGsj.gif

Canelo is still throwing a combo and then posing. 1, 2, 3, pose. 1, 2,, 3, pose. Didn't matter against Matthew Hatton (who at least tried) or Rhodes (landed an average of 9 punches a round. 9.), but could hurt him in the future.

I realize he's a cash cow now, but these kind of fights are really not doing him any favors. If they don't want a or b level matchups, there are certainly C level fighters he could be going against. If they want a step up fight ( A STEP UP, FOR A BELT HOLDER!!! WTF) then have a unification fight with K9 Bundridge. K9 isn't world class, but he'll go out on his shield.

Nick Charles passed away today. I remember him most from being a little kid and watching him and Fred Hickman anchor CNN's SportsCenter type show in the early 90s, but he was also big in the boxing media. RIP.

Blargh.

That heavyweight fight was so bad. Ray Austin in a title eliminator, coming off a DQ loss? Then Stiverne, who looked like absolute shit, stands there with 3 TITLE BELTS? Is this real life? Vitaly could beat both these guys on the same night. Absolutely embarrassing fight.

I really like Tavoris Cloud. Did what he had to do and came to fight. He might as well try to unify the belts and then face the Dawson/Hopkins winner next year.

Alexander looked like poop. I had him losing the fight. Not a huge blowout loss, but certainly not very impressive. 2nd time in a row now he hasn't looked too hot. Off to Fox Sports Net cards with you, Alexander the NOT so Great.

Esch

Banned
If HBO is smart they'll match up Cloud and Pascal and have the winner fight the winner of Dawson Hopkins(sorry shumenov!).

Devon.... I'm done with him really. His style still has so many flaws. Mathysse is a completely underrated fighter who beat Zab as far as I can see, i feel very bad for him

holy fuck what a god damn motherfucking robbery.

there is no god damn way Devon Alexander won that fight.

I also love how Larry talks shit to the fighters' faces after. Fucking hilarious.

I want to see Mathysse fight Maidana next, that'd be a good scrap.

As for next weekend, under normal circumstances I sure as hell would be watching Klitschko vs. Haye live on HBO but I'll be at the MGM Grand attending UFC 132 and I bought the ticket before I even knew this fight was going down. So fucking hyped for that fight.

Esch

Banned
2s0iw5e.jpg

Saturday

Find myself strangely hyped for this even though I thought I wouldn't give a shit.... I guess I just wanna see Haye get finished so his mouth will finally shut.

Final Picks?

Wladimir KO for me. Simply do not think it will be competitive.

I read at Bad Left Hook that HBO doesn't have any kind of undercard for Klitschko vs. Haye. Do you guys think they'll go right into the fight at the start time of 1:45 PT or show some rerun before?

I may have actually answered my own question, looking at the schedule, the "Boxing" show only has from 1:45 to 3:15 PT slotted. Awesome. Then I can make a mad dash to the MGM Grand arena after for 3:30.

Love Haye or loathe him, he's certainly sparked some interest in the heavyweights again. I'm hooping he wins and then faces Vitali to unify.

I'm currently debating putting a couple of bets on. Tempted by Haye rds 1-6 at 4/1 and Wlad rds 7-12 at 3/1. If I put those bets on knowing my luck it'll be Wlad KO 1 or Haye KO 7.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Love Haye or loathe him, he's certainly sparked some interest in the heavyweights again. I'm hooping he wins and then faces Vitali to unify.

I'm currently debating putting a couple of bets on. Tempted by Haye rds 1-6 at 4/1 and Wlad rds 7-12 at 3/1. If I put those bets on knowing my luck it'll be Wlad KO 1 or Haye KO 7.

only in regard to a running mouth. his performances and HW competition have been pretty mediocre. The only reason people are even buying into it is because he's the first guy Wlad's fighting in ages who comes in decent condition(terrible stamina aside) and has some nebulous chance at a flash KO. This really isn't Wlad's best win if(when) he does take it.

Esch

Banned
can't see this ending in a decision. I dont think either guy has good enough durability or stamina and both have power.

see5harp

Canelo is still throwing a combo and then posing. 1, 2, 3, pose. 1, 2,, 3, pose. Didn't matter against Matthew Hatton (who at least tried) or Rhodes (landed an average of 9 punches a round. 9.), but could hurt him in the future.

I realize he's a cash cow now, but these kind of fights are really not doing him any favors. If they don't want a or b level matchups, there are certainly C level fighters he could be going against. If they want a step up fight ( A STEP UP, FOR A BELT HOLDER!!! WTF) then have a unification fight with K9 Bundridge. K9 isn't world class, but he'll go out on his shield.

Canelo seems like he might take some head shots but he looks better than Chavez Jr.

EschatonDX said:
only in regard to a running mouth. his performances and HW competition have been pretty mediocre. The only reason people are even buying into it is because he's the first guy Wlad's fighting in ages who comes in decent condition(terrible stamina aside) and has some nebulous chance at a flash KO. This really isn't Wlad's best win if(when) he does take it.

Yeah, he's undoubtedly done it by running his mouth but interest is interest. Haye's opposition at heavy has been far from impressive but then again, it's not like there's that much talent out there (although anyone would've been better than Audley Harrison).

This is Wlad's fight to lose though and if he does, that's his legacy fucked forever in a lot of people's eyes so there's a lot riding on it for him. If Haye allows Wlad to get that jab going early, he'll have no chance of winning so I'm interested to see if Booth and Haye have come up with an answer for it. Many have tried, few have succeeded. I stopped picking against Booth a while ago as he seems to be a very good trainer that gets his fighters to listen to and, most importantly, execute different gameplans for different fights. The only major mistake I recall was getting Haye to take on Carl Thompson in his eleventh fight.

For the sport I want Haye to win as I think he'll definitely face Vitali, leading to an undisputed champ in the division once again. I prefer Wladimir as a person, as he's a funny, intelligent guy.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
How is this fight going down in the States, any casual interest/buzz?

Lots of talk on ESPN. It's not Pac or Mayweather level, but there's a decent groundswell for it. I'd expect it to do good numbers.

EschatonDX said:
Lots of talk on ESPN. It's not Pac or Mayweather level, but there's a decent groundswell for it. I'd expect it to do good numbers.

Cool. Hopefully Haye can pull it off (I know you don't like him) and face Vitali next to keep interest in the heavy division high.

Video of the weigh in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-IezKRfLF8

'Klistchko, Where's your fans?, Klitschko, Klitschko, where's your fans?' :lol

Esch

Banned
I would love to have a unified champ in Haye... That being said, his trash talk is annoying to me. If you're a mayweather, ali, or archie moore, fine by me.. You've earned the right to run your mouth a bit. David Haye? Nah. No way. Walk the walk....

EschatonDX said:
I would love to have a unified champ in Haye... That being said, his trash talk is annoying to me. If you're a mayweather, ali, or archie moore, fine by me.. You've earned the right to run your mouth a bit. David Haye? Nah. No way. Walk the walk....

Former unified cruiserweight champ, hw wins over Valuev and Ruiz, ko'd Ruiz who is hard to even look good against. Not a bad resume. Certainly better than 99% of the rest of the division.

Esch

Banned
Former unified cruiserweight champ, hw wins over Valuev and Ruiz, ko'd Ruiz who is hard to even look good against. Not a bad resume. Certainly better than 99% of the rest of the division.

Ruiz was hard to look good against, but the truth of his career is that he's a Don King guided asset from the start. Same with Valuev. Neither are good fighters in terms of competition beat(especially Valuev) and neither have demonstrably great skillsets. Wlad has better straps on his resume.... as far as heavies go... Chagaev, Chambers, Byrd, and Ibragimov for one.

Resume is not the reason this fight has buzz at all. It's because Haye seems to fill the 'what if' question about Wlad. Meaning, he's been bombed out before in his career. What would happen if a fast heavy with legitimately good power took him on? Haye is supposed to be an answer to that question.

dc89

Got a good feeling about Haye tonight. But he has to get close to Wlad, if Wlad is allowed to work that jab he could just do that all night and win on points. Haye has to get up close and use his speed advantage.

Haye has made the fight personal though and that works to his advantage. I think Haye has made Klitschko hate him and now he wants to beat him. Anything to just shut him up, even if it means ignoring the game plan.

I think Haye could KO him but it's going to be tough. I'm looking forward to it.

dc89

Haye needs to watch out for the weight of Klitschko. If they come in to a clinch Wlad will put his weight on him and that's gotta make you tired no matter how strong you are.

dc89 said:
Haye needs to watch out for the weight of Klitschko. If they come in to a clinch Wlad will put his weight on him and that's gotta make you tired no matter how strong you are.

He reckons he has a plan for that. Will be interesting to see what it is. Booth is a very good trainer so let's see if he's come up with an answer for Wlad's amazing jab and his tendency to lean on opponents, not forgetting Wlad's trick of standing on his opponent's foot either.

rpgb46

While I do like to see my fellow countrymen do well in the ring, I can't stand Haye. He talks and performs but his arrogance isn't charming in the slightest. I want the hammer to smash him early doors, 3-5.

Wes

venison crêpe
Would you guys mind if I make a thread for the fight tonight or prefer all the discussion in here? There are undoubtedly some people who don't watch boxing usually who may tune in to watch this single fight (like me).

Esch

Banned
So Haye more or less embarrassed himself and boxing, spent more time looking at the canvas than Van Gogh. I feel bad for the fans, although i derive a deep sense of self satisfaction observing the hypocrisy of some of the same guys who slagged prospect Dirrell for falling/slipping in a fight and being negative and then calling Haye a warrior. Happy and sad day.

Wlad needs to fucking fight. Always makes me feel bad for steward yelling at him.

EschatonDX said:
Wlad needs to fucking fight. Always makes me feel bad for steward yelling at him.

If Wlad had an ounce of killer instinct in him, he could have been the savior of the heavys. Even when he clearly outclasses the guy in front of him, he just will not take the guy out. If you moved some of his KO wins into the first 3 rounds and eliminated the 10 or so rounds of jab jab jab hold, you'd have a freaking global superstar.

see5harp

That was terrible. Wlad played his part like he always does. Haye needs to stop fighting if he truly thinks he can throw less than 10 punches a round in a title fight. WTF.

Raistlin

EschatonDX said:
Isn't that just how Steward roles? He keeps getting louder each round.

That's how he was with Lewis too - even when he was systematically dismantling Tyson.

Haye was a fucking embarrassment last night and I hope he fucking retires. I excused his Valuev performance but to fight like that again in the biggest fought of your life was disgraceful. His broken toe excuse was exactly that. What really makes me angry is the fact that this is the second massive ppv he's been in that has caught the casual interest (the pub was standing room only) but he fought like a pussy, guaranteeing that no one will want to see him again and probably not converting any people to the sport.

On the bright side, my phone wouldn't connect to the web to allow to put any money on the fight.

what's the deal with Sergio Martinez and is there anyone worth fighting in his div? Really he's become my favorite fighter, but he never seems to get play...

Esch

Banned
talisayNon said:
what's the deal with Sergio Martinez and is there anyone worth fighting in his div? Really he's become my favorite fighter, but he never seems to get play...

he's getting old and looking for money fights at lower weights(may+pac). unfortunately that shit probably aint gonna happen. I'd say hes got plenty of contenders at MW. I think a fight between him and Golovkin, N'Jikam, Sturm, Macklin, Lee, Korobov, Jacobs, Pirog etc. would be great. 160 actually has a ton of talent, it's just not being promoted.

Or he could move up and get in the 168 scraps. He'd make good money from that too.

JLG-

Brandon Rios vs Urbano Antillon tonight on Showtime. Should be an all out war.

Urbano-Antillon-vs-Brandon-Rios1.jpg

And

Paul Williams vs. Erislandy Lara on HBO

Top Bottom