• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

It was right on the beltline. Even if it was a low blow (which I agree with Lederman, they need to adjust those rules considering the armor fighters now wear across their abdomen and crotch) there is no way it was hard enough to keep a guy down for 10 solid seconds, especially considering that immediately after the 10 count, Zab had the strength to start arguing with the ref. DIdn't look like he was in much pain then. He bitched out, plain and simple.

ShogunX

Bungieware said:
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/JUDAH-PUNCH.gif.pagespeed.ce.z3vru7SesF.gif[IMG]

From this view it looks a bit like he caught the tip of his penis[/QUOTE]

You can see from the way the sponsor moves on Judah's right leg that the punch wasn't even central. It might of been a bit low (More like high shorts) but it looks like it him just above the groin area.

I thought it was pretty clearly a low blow and the ref was way out of position.

No idea why he thought the ref was counting out his recovery time though.

ShogunX

BigKaboom2 said:
I thought it was pretty clearly a low blow and the ref was way out of position.

No idea why he thought the ref was counting out his recovery time though.

It's anything but clear.

Lame. I like Khan and Zab bitching out robbed him of what was shaping up to be a dominant win.

Very, very disappointing end.

I think Khan could clean the division out if he stays at 140. Bradley would have given him a fight, but he doesn't seem to want to fight.

K1LLER7

khan really impressed today, he was very quick and even if the fight carried on judah would've lost imo.

btw, do you guys think this win has made khan a bigger boxer in america?

filler

Banned
zap judas was embarrassing. Are his balls attached to his bellybutton? There is no way he got punched in the nuts. The shot landed right on the belt and he wore his shorts high.

The M.O.B

Baby Milo said:
chill

you talking about someone who would beat the brakes off you

I have no doubt he would clean my clock. But he won't get much respect from me and shouldn't get any from anyone else when he can't take what he dishes out. He was getting worked by PBF in 06 and decides to get dirty and throws a direct punch straight at Floyds groin area, Floyd walks it off and of course that whole brawl ensues. Zab gets suspended for being a punk and his once promising career collapses around him.

Fast forward to today and once again Zab is getting outclassed and outworked, this time he gets clipped on his beltline and possibly a low blow and he crumbles to the ground complaining about Khan being a cheater instead of getting back up and sorting things out later.

Instead of going out on his shield, he quit...................

Esch

Banned
As expected Zab gets outclassed, outhustled, and doesn't even consider trying to leave it all in the ring.

Not a competitive fight; never was.

Ninja Scooter said:
It was right on the beltline. Even if it was a low blow (which I agree with Lederman, they need to adjust those rules considering the armor fighters now wear across their abdomen and crotch) there is no way it was hard enough to keep a guy down for 10 solid seconds, especially considering that immediately after the 10 count, Zab had the strength to start arguing with the ref. DIdn't look like he was in much pain then. He bitched out, plain and simple.

And this. Fighting shorts nowadays are designed to limit the area of body blows and as a result, gotta be liberal with how you view them as legal or not.

see5harp

That wasn't even below the beltline. Zab fishing for a penalty point when he knew he was getting his ass beat. The fight actually reminded me of the Judah fight with Cotto where Zab really didn't have any answers and was getting physically dominated. Not sure why Zab doesn't throw more punches though..at least give yourself a chance. I think Khan might wanna challenge Bradley to settle that 140 pound division. Then move up and fight someone like Cotto who he can probably beat. Knowing boxing though, they'll probably do a Khan/Hatton fight in the UK for an easy payday.

Baby Milo said:
chill

you talking about someone who would beat the brakes off you

Why does that matter? If that's the case nobody is allowed to criticize any athlete ever? The fact is this is a high profile fight, and he gets paid millions of dollars to FIGHT. That's his job. Not to mention the people in the crowd probably paid a nice sum to bet here and watch him FIGHT...and he quit. Chump status.

74863_o.gif

Baby Milo

Ninja Scooter said:
Why does that matter? If that's the case nobody is allowed to criticize any athlete ever? The fact is this is a high profile fight, and he gets paid millions of dollars to FIGHT. That's his job. Not to mention the people in the crowd probably paid a nice sum to bet here and watch him FIGHT...and he quit. Chump status.

74863_o.gif
you can criticize him all you want and im not even a fan but when you start calling a guy who gets in the ring a chump and coward it gets a bit absurd.

Baby Milo said:
you can criticize him all you want and im not even a fan but when you start calling a guy who gets in the ring a chump and coward it gets a bit absurd.

Coward? No, even though he clearly quit, it does take a level of balls most of us don't have to get in the ring and let someone else punch you in the face for a few rounds. But I don't see how it's so bad to say he went out like a chump.

Baby Milo

Ninja Scooter said:
Coward? No, even though he clearly quit, it does take a level of balls most of us don't have to get in the ring and let someone else punch you in the face for a few rounds. But I don't see how it's so bad to say he went out like a chump.
regardless if it was a lowblow or body shot it still looked like a solid punch

its real easy to say he should have got up when you weren't the one who was hit

Baby Milo said:
regardless if it was a lowblow or body shot it still looked like a solid punch

its real easy to say he should have got up when you weren't the one who was hit

That's if you believe he was feeling any effect from the punch in the first place. Ultimately we are all just speculating, but IMO he went down with the sole intent of milking a point/warning out of the ref, and when saw him start counting again, gave up. I don't think the punch hurt him much at all.

see5harp

It was probably a solid punch. Amir is a very hard hitting dude, but I still don't think that was enough to actually put a dude on the mat for an entire 10 count. Hell that monster body shot had Maidana acting funny for a couple rounds, but he stuck it out and made things interesting. I don't think Zab is a chump, but it's obvious he was outclassed once again. He was getting his ass beat by a faster, bigger, smarter fighter. I like that Kahn would throw his flurry, get in close and clinch to prevent counter shots. He's still lunging in there with his chin up when he gets excited but the clinching is a good sign.

Ninja Scooter said:
The live gate was 6000 people and apparently only half of them paid for their tickets. Compare that to any UFC event at Mandalay. Shit is embarrassing. Not only that, the place was damn near empty up until 15 minutes prior to the main event. Fucking boxing promoters need to promote their undercards.

As for Judah, after the mediocre performance leading to a robbery over Mathysse and this bullshit, he'd better not get a HBO or Showtime main event ever again. Send him to the ShoBox circuit along with Pavlik.

JaskoX1

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
I honestly don't think we'll ever see that fight.
Yup. He's going to beat him, then go on another 1 to 2 year break. We all know that break is so that he can become rusty then say he's not ready for pac so he fights someone else and it keeps happening on and on till he retires I'm assuming.

The New Jersey AC retroactively overturned a recent MMA fight to a no contest due to an illegal knee to a grounded opponent when the ref never did anything about it during the fight and gave the offender a victory, so there is precedent for a state athletic commission to overturn this farce at least to a no contest.

Why do I subject myself to Showtime boxing? In any other circumstance I'd rather listen to Mark Jackson ramble about the NBA for half an hour than suffer through even a couple minutes of Gus Johnson and Jim Gray.

Baby Milo

Tough loss for agbeko

He was charging back in the second half of that fight. He might have won had the ref done his job.

polyh3dron said:
If Floyd beats Ortiz and wants to duck Pac Man yet again, this makes sense. However, Floyd could possibly see Khan as too much of a threat after he tooled Judah the way he did and decide to go in another direction.

Prior to the Khan/Judah fight Floyd already started talking about fighting Khan in Wembley Stadium or some shit.

Stop the lies

After manny ran from a blood test to fight Clottey don't forget that Bob Arum signed up Margarito,Mosley, and Marquez before each fight were even finished. they never even attempted to find floyd.And they still refuse to take a USADA test claiming they would be biased against manny.

oneHeero

Baby Milo said:
Tough loss for agbeko

He was charging back in the second half of that fight. He might have won had the ref done his job.

Stop the lies

After manny ran from a blood test to fight Clottey don't forget that Bob Arum signed up Margarito,Mosley, and Marquez before each fight were even finished. they never even attempted to find floyd.And they still refuse to take a USADA test claiming they would be biased against manny.
Lmao never attempted to find Floyd. Bullshit. Floyd ducks pacman for a reason. I'm surprised he's fighting ortiz.

jchap

Dammit boxing this is why we can't have nice things. Russel Morra should be banned for life for that (not to mention sending Montiel back out after getting KTFO by donaire) but of course he will be right back out there with all the other corrupt judges and refs in no time.

oneHeero said:
Lmao never attempted to find Floyd. Bullshit. Floyd ducks pacman for a reason. I'm surprised he's fighting ortiz.
Because he watched the Maidana/Ortiz fight and knows that Ortiz has a weak will.

Davedough

Not wanting to start my own thread and figuring the OP said "anything" boxing, I figured I'd reply.

I just picked up a 100lb bag, stand and speedbag set off of Craigslist for a good deal. I want to hit the bags to keep in shape, along with the jogging and other exercises I'm already doing.

Are there any places online that show proper form and proper technique so I dont hurt my wrists or some other kind of injury while attempting the sweet science in my garage? I dont want to join a boxing gym because I'm not trying to become the next golden gloves winner... I'm far too old for that... I just want to make sure I dont hurt myself in the process.

JaskoX1

Banned
FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR & Floyd Sr FIGHT AT GYM - HBO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqT4FOoHPbs

I'm not all that surprised about the confrontation. I'm certain this type of stuff happens all the time within their circle. They'll kiss and make up within the next couple episodes like nothing ever happened.

jchap

It's a good day for Boxing!

First up at 15:00 EST:
Breidis "I KTFO'd Amir Khan" Prescott vs. Paul "I got owned by Amir Khan but still talk shit" McCloskey
Analysis: Two guys desperately trying to position themselves so that Amir Khan can starch them for a nice payday. Good technical boxers give Prescott trouble as he can't land his wild bombs. McCloskey is a brawler, not a good technical boxer. Prescott will probably stop him.

Then at 17:00 EST:
Vitali Klitschko vs. Tomasz Adamek
Analysis: Klitschko seems the more dominant of the two brothers. Adamek has looked decent at HW but he will almost certainly get broken down and dominated. Unfortunately for Adamek, he has a pretty good chin. Tune in for the bloodbath!

Finally the best fight of the night (IMO) on HBO at 22:00 EST:
Ponce De Leon vs. Yuriorkis Gamboa
Analysis: Gamboa is one of the fastest, most powerful P4P boxers in the world today, but he is also a bit wild and is prone to taking counters. De Leon is a murderous puncher at 126 and at least has a chance to land a bomb on Gamboa. Should be a war! Guaranteed not to go to a decision!

Oh my god, Vitali vs Adamek is SO boring. Klitschko is pushing him around like a doll. Where are the american heavyweights to bring back some competition? Are there any at all?

Top Bottom