• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Mailenstein said:
Oh my god, Vitali vs Adamek is SO boring. Klitschko is pushing him around like a doll. Where are the american heavyweights to bring back some competition? Are there any at all?

None that I can think of. This fight was a demolishing. Nobody today can beat that style of boxing in that weight category.

SolidC213

polyh3dron said:
Because he watched the Maidana/Ortiz fight and knows that Ortiz has a weak will.

He watched the Andre Berto fight too. You can't tell me he had weak will there.

Anybody going to be at the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight?

Esch

Banned
i don't think Ortiz has a weak will. A young guy folding in a tough fight, it happens. He's paid for that weakness with accusations of cowardice, constant criticism, underestimation of his abilities... I think it was a learning experience. And I think he's bitter, eager to prove himself again. He'll put up a good fight, i hope.

SUPREME1

Banned
I saw ODLH on the local morning news yesterday. He was promoting Ortiz/Mayweather and said that there will be a split screen at certain points during the boradcast which will be showing some fights from Staples Center, including Eric Morales, Canelo and some others. Said it'd be the first time two simultaneous boxing events would be televised on the same channel.

Sounded kinda cool. Anyone else hear about this?

I'm all for paying for Ortiz/Mayweather, getting to see Canelo is a bonus.

SolidC213 said:
He watched the Andre Berto fight too. You can't tell me he had weak will there.

Anybody going to be at the Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight?
I'm thinking about going to Staples... But I'll most likely stay home and order the PPV. Hyped to see Morales and Canelo, not expecting much from Mayweather/Ortiz though.

I wish Morales and Maidana would have done the rematch.

SolidC213

polyh3dron said:
I'm thinking about going to Staples... But I'll most likely stay home and order the PPV. Hyped to see Morales and Canelo, not expecting much from Mayweather/Ortiz though.

I wish Morales and Maidana would have done the rematch.

How much are the tickets to the undercards?

Yeah, Morales wanted to fight Maidana after Matthysse got injured but Maidana turned it down. If they both win in their September fights Maidana said he would do a rematch before the year is over.

SolidC213

SUPREME1 said:
I saw ODLH on the local morning news yesterday. He was promoting Ortiz/Mayweather and said that there will be a split screen at certain points during the boradcast which will be showing some fights from Staples Center, including Eric Morales, Canelo and some others. Said it'd be the first time two simultaneous boxing events would be televised on the same channel.

Sounded kinda cool. Anyone else hear about this?

I'm all for paying for Ortiz/Mayweather, getting to see Canelo is a bonus.

As long as Canelo or Morales fight don't overlap into the May vs Vic fight then that's cool.

see5harp

You know Morales Canelo might be the better fight of the two. Morales has looked hungry his last few fights and Canelo has yet to be tested by someone truly seasoned. If Canelo can put him away fast then I'm all aboard the cinnamon train but Morales will throw punches back.

SUPREME1

Banned
see5harp said:
You know Morales Canelo might be the better fight of the two. Morales has looked hungry his last few fights and Canelo has yet to be tested by someone truly seasoned. If Canelo can put him away fast then I'm all aboard the cinnamon train but Morales will throw punches back.

I don't think they're fighting each other, unless I misunerstood what ODLH was saying.

JLG-

see5harp said:
Canelo is not fighting Morales, he's way too big for him. lol

Canelo is fighting Alfonso Gomez and Morales is fighting Pablo Cano.

oneHeero

JLG- said:
Canelo is not fighting Morales, he's way too big for him. lol

Canelo is fighting Alfonso Gomez and Morales is fighting Pablo Cano.
My mind was blown when I read Canelo vs Morales. I was like wtf?

So what's gaf thinking w the fight this weekend?

SolidC213

oneHeero said:
My mind was blown when I read Canelo vs Morales. I was like wtf?

So what's gaf thinking w the fight this weekend?

I am pretty excited. Have been watching the 24/7 and hopefully Victor isn't as into himself as it seems (Floyd doesn't belong in the ring with him. Maidana who? etc.). Hopefully he is just trying to be confident in himself which is fine.

Victor has a punchers chance in this fight. As long as Floyd takes Victors power seriously and does not go toe to toe and brawl with him he will win easily via decision. I know Floyd said he was going to go toe to toe and fight the way Victor does (brawl) but I highly doubt it.

see5harp

Oh my bad I was wondering what the hell was up with that. Canelo will probably murdalize Gomez. I will root for Morales in any fight he's in though. The only fight I've ever seen him quit on was Pacquaio 3, and he just didn't look good from the start of that one.

HYPE

mayweather-ortiz_bizarre_cropped_medium.jpg

harSon

Banned
It's going to be completely one sided in favor of Mayweather. I've learned not to fall for boxing's hype around a fight that I felt was one sided in the first place. I always go from "X is going to win this fight easily" to "HOLY SHIT X MIGHT LOSE" after watching stuff like 24/7. And while we're on that subject, has 24/7 ever covered a fight that wasn't completely one sided and with an expected outcome?

Floyd by UD 12. Prob a lot closer early than people would think, then Floyd adjusts, and picks him apart. I wouldn't be shocked to see Floyd get flash knocked down or hurt badly early. (I'm totally rooting for Ortiz to destroy him in one round.).

If Canelo has even an ounce of trouble it would be shocking.

Morales is walking out a winner unless he leaves in a body bag. Lol boxing.

Early pressure from Ortiz, with not a whole lot being effective, becoming disheartened. Mayweather then coasts to a UD.

Though it would be great to see an upset, I just don't see that as possible. Anyone know what Vegas has the odds at?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Im hyped for the fight tomorrow. Call me crazy but I think Ortiz will pull it out the upset. Maybe I am buying into the hype but we will see.

SUPREME1

Banned
CaptYamato said:
The fight isn't until tomorrow and PBF is already mind fucking him.

Nah, VO played it the right way. If he'd reacted any differently to PBF putting his hand on his neck, then PBF would already won.

He laughed it up and posed.

SyNapSe

polyh3dron said:
look, a klitschko fight

look, it's boring

i for one am SHOCKED

It wasn't really a fight and it was dumb. That's the problem with bringing guys up 2 weight classes to fight at heavyweight when really there are super HW's at the top. Vitali stood in the middle with hands down and no head movement and was never threatened. A simple head bob back and a step left 95% of power blows shooting over or hitting the shoulder.

I may go to a bar to watch the fights as I can't find it on HBO. I'll be excited to see Canelo fight again

abuC

SyNapSe said:
It wasn't really a fight and it was dumb. That's the problem with bringing guys up 2 weight classes to fight at heavyweight when really there are super HW's at the top. Vitali stood in the middle with hands down and no head movement and was never threatened. A simple head bob back and a step left 95% of power blows shooting over or hitting the shoulder.

I may go to a bar to watch the fights as I can't find it on HBO. I'll be excited to see Canelo fight again
There really needs to be a separate divison for guys over 240lbs, as it stands guys like Adamek are giving up 5 inches and 30lbs. It's like asking Manny or Floyd to fight Carl Froch.

abuC said:
There really needs to be a separate divison for guys over 240lbs, as it stands guys like Adamek are giving up 5 inches and 30lbs. It's like asking Manny or Floyd to fight Carl Froch.
I've heard this suggestion a few times and always think it's silly. You wouldn't have that many naturally big super heavies and you'd be encouraging the rest of an already shitty heavyweight scene to come in even more out of shape.

Esch

Banned
keeping Martinez's name out there. I'll watch. That being said if they dont put out a golovkin, n'jikam or the like in front of him next im not watching his next fight.

EschatonDX said:
keeping Martinez's name out there. I'll watch. That being said if they dont put out a golovkin, n'jikam or the like in front of him next im not watching his next fight.

I kinda feel bad for the guy. Sturm and Chavez, Jr will not fight him at all. I assume if Andy lee wins on the undercard, than that's his next fight.

His management won't even think of a fight with Dmitry Pirog, which is odd.

His options are to drop down or move up.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
I kinda feel bad for the guy. Sturm and Chavez, Jr will not fight him at all. I assume if Andy lee wins on the undercard, than that's his next fight.

His management won't even think of a fight with Dmitry Pirog, which is odd.

His options are to drop down or move up.

He's definitely treading water, his promoter could be doing a lot better with the limited time Martinez has left.

Esch

Banned
I would absolutely watch Andy Lee and Martinez for sure.

I think Martinez underestimates his own chances at SMW. The opportunities are there, but who would he fight on HBO, Bute? That might be a bridge too far, guy's a CW on fight night, 183-185lbs. He's sweating balls to get to 168.

theBishop

Banned
EschatonDX said:
I would absolutely watch Andy Lee and Martinez for sure.

I think Martinez underestimates his own chances at SMW. The opportunities are there, but who would he fight on HBO, Bute? That might be a bridge too far, guy's a CW on fight night, 183-185lbs. He's sweating balls to get to 168.

I'd watch Martinez/Lee, but I don't think Lee's dominant performance saturday is much to go by. Vera was fighting horribly, and his record is shot. The best fight Martinez can actually get is Angulo, imo.

TheNatural

My Member!
Anyone pumped about Hopkins-Dawson this weekend? I think The Executioner is going to prove again he's timeless and come out with a W. Dawson doesn't have the workrate in the ring to out punch Hopkins, which is the only way Hopkins ever loses recently is losing the output battle. And it's a red flag to me Dawson dropped Emanuel Steward as trainer so he could train closer to home with his family. He didn't look all that impressive his last fight either.

Hopkins by UD.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TheNatural said:
Anyone pumped about Hopkins-Dawson this weekend? I think The Executioner is going to prove again he's timeless and come out with a W. Dawson doesn't have the workrate in the ring to out punch Hopkins, which is the only way Hopkins ever loses recently is losing the output battle. And it's a red flag to me Dawson dropped Emmanual Stewart as trainer so he could train closer to home with his family. He didn't look all that impressive his last fight either.

Hopkins by UD.

Seconded, 100%. Hopkins won't be stopped. And like you said, Dawson won't be able to keep up.

Dawson has all the physical tools to coast to an easy D12 against a 46 year old Hopkins.

Dawson has the mental fortitude of a 7 year old and will give in as soon as Hopkins decides to assert his will.

Hopkins needs to look like he did against Pascal. Unfortunately, those fights were the exception, and I expect him to start fighting in the 6th rounds on.

Dawson sleepwalks to a sd 12 in a boring, ugly fight. Hopkins will do enough to be able to bitch about being robbed.

Esch

Banned
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Dawson has all the physical tools to coast to an easy D12 against a 46 year old Hopkins.

Dawson has the mental fortitude of a 7 year old and will give in as soon as Hopkins decides to assert his will.

Hopkins needs to look like he did against Pascal. Unfortunately, those fights were the exception, and I expect him to start fighting in the 6th rounds on.

Dawson sleepwalks to a sd 12 in a boring, ugly fight. Hopkins will do enough to be able to bitch about being robbed.
This, except that since Dawson is such a fucking idiot i give him a 50/50 chance of losing.

TheNatural said:
Anyone pumped about Hopkins-Dawson this weekend? I think The Executioner is going to prove again he's timeless and come out with a W. Dawson doesn't have the workrate in the ring to out punch Hopkins, which is the only way Hopkins ever loses recently is losing the output battle. And it's a red flag to me Dawson dropped Emanuel Steward as trainer so he could train closer to home with his family. He didn't look all that impressive his last fight either.

Hopkins by UD.

Can't say I'm pumped. I respect the skills of B-Hop but this fight has boring written all over it. The public at large seem to agree, hence Gary Shaw giving away tix and other outlets slashing prices.

Thanks HBO.

TheNatural

My Member!
J Tourettes said:
Can't say I'm pumped. I respect the skills of B-Hop but this fight has boring written all over it. The public at large seem to agree, hence Gary Shaw giving away tix and other outlets slashing prices.

Thanks HBO.

I thought Hopkins-Pascal fights were entertaining as hell. Dawson doesn't throw near as much as Pascal (which is probably why he lost to him), but I love to see Hopkins as a master craftsman of his trade. He's had his fair share of boring fights, but his last two were good fights and he seems as confident as ever to open it up more stylistically.

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL - so David "Tomato Can" Haye retired today. Guess he got his big payday doing jack shit against Klitschko and can disappear into the sunset like a true Ponzi schemer of a "contending" boxer.

And damn, it's literally been little over a decade since I saw "old man" Hopkins destroy Tito Trinidad in an "upset." I'll keep harping on it, I don't care what anyone says, it's fucking NUTS what this man is doing at his age and if he can win tomorrow his legacy continues to build to ridiculous heights.

And although Hopkins, of Philadelphia, said he doesn't plan to still be fighting when he is 50, he knows his boxing history. He reveres the late, great former light heavyweight champion Archie Moore -- "The Old Mongoose."

Moore was 39 (depending on which of his varying birthdates you believe) when he won the 175-pound championship, and he was 47 when he made his final defense in 1961. Hopkins, already the oldest man to win a title, would like to also be the oldest to defend it.

"I am looking forward to eventually breaking Archie Moore's record of defending a title at the age of 47 or 48," Hopkins said. "I want that title. I want that record. I want that history."

Heading out to Staples Center in a few, will be attending my first live boxing event... ticket basically cost as much as the PPV and there was no way I was gonna give HBO money for a Hopkins/Dawson PPV.

and LOL @ David Haye retiring. What a fucking loser.

TheNatural said:

Hopkins by UD.
lol Bad Chad isn't training with Emanuel anymore? Wow. Can't wait to see him get mauled by B-Hop unless he magically learns how to utilize his reach and height.

Top Bottom