• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Shearie

jchap said:
Hopkins lunged in with a right and Dawson ducked under it... Hopkins landed on Dawson's back. Dawson stood up and rolled his shoulder throwing Hopkins off him. Hopkins fell down and started to "scream in pain" and point to his shoulder. It was ruled that the throw was not a foul and Dawson was made the winner.
Haha. It's amazing that the big fights that casual boxing fans watch are such bullshit yet I saw so many great Friday Night Fights on ESPN but casuals don't watch them. Boxing is gonna become so niche and MMA is gonna swallow it whole, if it hasn't already. Or maybe this is just a bunch of hyperbole I'm spittin :)

TheNatural

My Member!
Shearie said:
Haha. It's amazing that the big fights that casual boxing fans watch are such bullshit yet I saw so many great Friday Night Fights on ESPN but casuals don't watch them. Boxing is gonna become so niche and MMA is gonna swallow it whole, if it hasn't already. Or maybe this is just a bunch of hyperbole I'm spittin :)

I watch FNF, that fight with Wolak this year was badass, FOTY possibly.

The only problem is, even casual fans didn't order this PPV. It was supposedly be a previously free show, but HBO didn't make a lot of money this year on boxing and needed another PPV. The crowd has come across as completely shit there, I wonder if it even came close to selling out.

At best, Hopkins is a VERY VERY distant third draw in the boxing world way behind Pacquaio and Mayweather. It's only two fighters away from not even being able to be a sustainable PPV business in the US.

Clott

Shearie said:
Yeah, hyperbole.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well at least this feel good story win came out of this, the guy refused to admit he was guilty and stayed in prison 16 years longer. And the guy he's fighting against kept spitting out his mouthpiece.

TheNatural

My Member!
The M.O.B said:
Here is the best video available so far, crappy but I will add a better one so others can judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHhKh9sXks

It was obviously an intentional takedown, the second angle shows it all, but let me point out once again this is referee incompetence. The ref is out of the action when he should have called for a break just as soon as Dawson was under Hopkins - something that happens often in boxing if a guy ducks under a punch. The ref is just standing there like a fucking retard, similar to Joe Cortez's incompetence and unclear restart in the Mayweather fight.

Compare this to earlier in the night when we had a ref very vocal calling a fight, calling breaks and so on clearly throughout the fight to let the fighters know where it stands at all times. It boggles the mind how refs in any combat sport have so many fucking problems doing their job.

Heel

TheNatural said:
It was obviously an intentional takedown, the second angle shows it all, but let me point out once again this is referee incompetence. The ref is out of the action when he should have called for a break just as soon as Dawson was under Hopkins - something that happens often in boxing if a guy ducks under a punch. The ref is just standing there like a fucking retard, similar to Joe Cortez's incompetence and unclear restart in the Mayweather fight.

Compare this to earlier in the night when we had a ref very vocal calling a fight, calling breaks and so on clearly throughout the fight to let the fighters know where it stands at all times. It boggles the mind how refs in any combat sport have so many fucking problems doing their job.

I'm a huge fan of combat sports, but Agbeko vs. Mares was the beginning of the end for me as far as boxing goes. I don't know why I keep subjecting myself to this shit.

I want a GIF of Larry Hopkins juggling his mouthpiece before getting clocked by Dewey Bozella.

I already checked Iron Forges Iron and didn't get shit from that fight.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm not fully okay with it being a TKO, but what the hell was Hopkins doing jumping on TOP of Dawson like that, he actually jumped up on his back, and Dawson shouldered him off. I'm not seeing the double leg take down people are talking about, his hand went around his leg, but he pulled it back and just shoulder pushed him off.

Hopkins got a taste of his own medicine and didn't like it. Seems the medical reports say he did separate his shoulder, but the fall didn't look that bad when it happened.

I agree with Dawson, no rematch, he has business with Pascal.

TheNatural

My Member!
NervousXtian said:
I'm not fully okay with it being a TKO, but what the hell was Hopkins doing jumping on TOP of Dawson like that, he actually jumped up on his back, and Dawson shouldered him off. I'm not seeing the double leg take down people are talking about, his hand went around his leg, but he pulled it back and just shoulder pushed him off.

Hopkins got a taste of his own medicine and didn't like it. Seems the medical reports say he did separate his shoulder, but the fall didn't look that bad when it happened.

Fighters go over/under all the time after ducking a punch, its the ref's job to break it up, and it definitely isn't the right of the boxer down at the legs to drop the guy off the top. This is going to be reversed to a no contest.

And it's no shocker that Gary Shaw, the genius behind the Kimbo Slice fraud shit in EliteXC is Chad Dawson's promoter and was in the ref's ear leading up to the fight about Hopkins. If Dawson wants to go get his ass beat by Pascal again, that's fine, Hopkins won't have any problem beating Pascal a third time.

NervousXtian said:

B-HOP's gonna B-HOP. I saw it the same way, and even prior to that incident, Bad Chad was trying to show Hopkins that it wouldn't be wise to go into his bag of dirty tricks because Chad could match him and he wouldn't be bullied. Up until that point Chad was actually impressing me, I didn't think he'd have shit for Hopkins. I honestly think it's a great end to B-HOP's career because not only have we seen a final flash of greatness when he fought Pascal, we also have seen him finally get his comeuppance after playing dirty for YEARS without any repercussions.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah no "takedown" here:

1.gif

Notice the right hand grab behind B-HOP's right knee and he pull his leg out from under him. I'm not really sure what the fuck people are looking at to say he just dropped him off top. This is going to be reversed by the athletic commission.

Also the over/under ducked punch in boxing to grab a guy's back happens a ton, and it's not dirty, it's a simple awkward position that the ref is set up to BREAK. And he was way out of position and didn't as well. Hopkins does a lot of dirty shit, but that definitely wasn't one of them for anyone who actually watches boxing on a regular basis, this shit happens quite often that leads to a break.

PS: Notice how in the Pascal fight when Dawson was getting his ass beat he tried the same exact thing, notice the left hand under Dawson's right knee:

1044348_o.gif

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well the WBC overruled it, but as I've watched it more I think it should stay a TKO. It's up to the CAC to overturn the actual record. Hopkins launched himself on top of Dawson and Dawson pushed him off, which in itself I don't think is a foul. He didn't land all that hard, and I'm prone to think Hopkins overreacted, as he has a history of doing just that.

All said, I don't want to see a re-match.

NervousXtian said:
Well the WBC overruled it, but as I've watched it more I think it should stay a TKO. It's up to the CAC to overturn the actual record. Hopkins launched himself on top of Dawson and Dawson pushed him off, which in itself I don't think is a foul. He didn't land all that hard, and I'm prone to think Hopkins overreacted, as he has a history of doing just that.

All said, I don't want to see a re-match.

You do know he has officially dislocated his shoulder?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
About time Nonito fights again. Dude is fun to watch. Hopefully after he disposes of this bum he fights someone in the top 5. He has alot of upside and can mix it up with fighters in the higher weight classes. Also pumped for 24/7. Anyone want to start an official thread for pac-marquez. I would if I could but my thread creating privileges are banned. Sadly its been like that for years and have tried to get it reinstated but get no respnses from the admins. :(

jchap

Donaire is must watch! Future P4P #1!

The reason he hasn't fought for so long was a legal dispute with Top Rank which he ended up losing (of course). He tried to switch to GBP

jchap

The M.O.B said:
War Donaire tonight, I know nothing about Narvaez though.

20-0-1 in title fights... Defended his flyweight title 16 times. He's good just way too small for Donaire.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Mikey Garcia just fought. They are expecting him to be the next great featherweight. He just knocked out the dude in the 4th. Power is there..his defense was a little shaky though.

Narvaez is winning right now surprisingly, great defense, outsmarting Donaire.

edit: As soon as I say that Donaire lands a wicked right hand haha.

jchap said:
Narvaez is employing the Clottey turtle strategy
yup Nonito called him out on it too when he talked to Kellerman.

Boxing fails for yet another weekend. Ward, Froch, Cotto and Margarito need to hurry up

polyh3dron said:
yup Nonito called him out on it too when he talked to Kellerman.

Boxing fails for yet another weekend. Ward, Froch, Cotto and Margarito need to hurry up

I love Froch. Dude always gives it his all and is rarely in a dull fight.

Kevin Iole reckons B-Hop - Dawson did a whopping 40k buys
KuGsj.gif
Fucking Hbo, so clueless. Hopefully the new head of boxing does shit right and stops sucking up to GBP and bending over backwards for Haymon.

Promoters need to fucking promote and not just hope that TV will do the job for them.

RBH

Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not plan on taking another 16-month vacation from the boxing ring, like he did after easily outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010.

Instead, Mayweather, who knocked out Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, will make a relatively hasty return: May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

Mayweather's opponent has not been determined but Ellerbe said, "We're looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella."

Ellerbe was, of course, referring to Manny Pacquiao. The welterweight champions and the top two pound-for-pound fighters in the world have been on a collision course for years. However, negotiations have fallen apart over drug testing protocol.

Pacquiao is set to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for the third time Nov. 12 at the MGM Grand and is a heavy favorite.

"Floyd made it very clear that he wants to give the fans the biggest fights that are out there. He wants to stay active," Ellerbe said. "We're going to do everything in our power to make the biggest fight out there for the fans and we all know what the fight is."

Mayweather, a five-division champion, has fought only five times since 2007.

Ellerbe said Mayweather informed him and fellow adviser Al Haymon on Wednesday of his decision to return in May.

"We had a discussion, Floyd, me and Al," Ellerbe said. "Floyd made it very clear to us what he wanted to do. He told us he is looking to make the biggest fight that is out there and to make it in May."

Ellerbe also informed Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer, who does not have a contract with Mayweather but has promoted his last five bouts, of the plan.

"I'm very excited that the sport's biggest pay-per-view star is going to be back on May 5," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "We have informed the pay-per-view industry and I have the arena on hold. I'm excited to continue my relationship with Floyd and his team. It's always fun to work with Floyd."

Although May 5 is seven months away, Mayweather's fights have typically been promoted for several months in advance of the fight. The first weekend of May is traditionally a weekend for a major pay-per-view fight.

"We have to plan any time you're the biggest star in the sport," Ellerbe said. "You have to plan in advance because his fights are events. In order to maximize the exposure you want to plan as far in advance as you can to make your event as big as possible. May 5, that is the date Floyd is fighting on. We have secured May 5 at the MGM. Floyd is excited to make his return."

Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs), who turns 35 in February, reclaimed one of his old welterweight titles with his knockout of Ortiz in a fight that Golden Boy said generated 1.25 million buys and $78.44 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue. The buys tied the fight for third place all-time among non-heavyweight pay-per-views and gave Mayweather his third consecutive 1 million-plus pay-per-view fight and fourth in his last five bouts.

Although Mayweather plans to fight, he still faces several legal cases. He was acquitted last week of misdemeanor harassment charges alleging that he had threatened the lives of two security guards in the gated community in Las Vegas where he lives. But he faces a trial for a misdemeanor battery complaint alleging he poked another homeowner association security guard in the face during a different confrontation over parking tickets last November. Mayweather has pleaded not guilty.

In the most serious case, Mayweather faces four felony and four misdemeanor charges stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his former girlfriend, who is the mother of two of his children.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7184086/floyd-mayweather-jr-wants-make-biggest-fight-possible-5

J Tourettes said:
Kevin Iole reckons B-Hop - Dawson did a whopping 40k buys
KuGsj.gif
Fucking Hbo, so clueless. Hopefully the new head of boxing does shit right and stops sucking up to GBP and bending over backwards for Haymon.

Promoters need to fucking promote and not just hope that TV will do the job for them.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT

lol

kIdMuScLe

Dude does fuckin Bob Arum hate De La Hoya or Mayweather that much or what the fuck? I thought i read that Freddie Roach wants the fight to happen so it could boost Pacquiao's legacy?

jchap

Floyd is obviously just doing this through the media to steal a little of pac's pre-fight hype. He will probably demand a majority of the purse and then claim pac didn't want the fight when it doesn't get made. If he was serious you wouldn't have to hear anything announced on ESPN.

Ninja Scooter said:
I like PBF but LOL at how bad he comes off in this interview:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhawFVuubxau5Bjp21

(i know, a worldstarhiphop link, but I promise no fighting or pitbulls involved) Can't believe Floyd lets Rude Jude (yes from the old Jenny Jones show) get him this worked up.

Floyd is incredibly insecure, yet considering how much undue criticism he's gotten over the years it's understandable.

computers putin' said:
Floyd is incredibly insecure, yet considering how much undue criticism he's gotten over the years it's understandable.

He has come in for a lot of criticism but I don't think that much of it is undue when you look at his career post 135.

JLG-

Israel Vasquez is opening up a boxing gym about 4-5 minutes from where i live tomorrow! Abner Mares, Daniel Ponce De Leon, and of course Izzy is going to be there. Hope i can get some autographs and pic or two.

edit: Lots of fights tomorrow too

Chris Arreola vs. Raphael Butler
Alfredo Angulo vs. James Kirkland
Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin vs. Craig McEwan
Lucian Bute vs. Glen Johnson
Ricky Burns vs. Michael Katsidis

Top Bottom