• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackface

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I don't understand how is it legal to k.o a guy when the fight isn't on. And if the fight was on, why wasn't the ref looking?

He wasn't looking because he was making sure a point was being taken away for the headbutt.

Protecting yourself at all times pertains to being in the fight. The fight was stopped by the ref and not restarted.

GQman2121

Banned
Blackface said:
1. The headbutt was intentional. It was the heat of the moment type of thing. Ortiz is a fighter, Floyd is a boxer. It was Dirty. Probably payback for the elbows he ate, and the holding of the head, but still dirty and illegal.

2. Floyd took a cheap shot that should NOT have been legal. When the ref stops a fight, he has to resume the fight. The ref did not resume the fight, and was looking towards the judges table. When Floyd hit Ortiz, Ortiz looked at Cortez. Thinking "how is that legal?". Then Floyd hit Ortiz again and knocked him out. Cortez, known to favor Floyd in most of his fights, stopped the fight.

He never started the fight again. This is the first time I have ever seen a boxing match where a ref stops the fight, then a fighter starts it back up himself, without the ref starting it again.

Please shut up......

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
LiquidMetal14 said:
He cleared them to fight and was merely looking at the timekeeper. Ortiz was too busy wanting to make up with the man Mayweather to try and take care of himself.

No. He never said "Box" or waved his hands to the front or anything. He was just backing away looking at the time table. Joe Cortez really fucked up that one. His face at the KO says it all. Pure unadulterated bullshit. Such a good fight too.

Btw Merchant's quote will go down in history ahahaha

Brinbe

Kinda sad because PBF wasn't totally dominating, and if weren't for that headbutt, there's a good chance it's 2-2 going into the 5th. Ah well.

WrikaWrek said:
I don't understand how is it legal to k.o a guy when the fight isn't on. And if the fight was on, why wasn't the ref looking?

because refs are used to guys lollygagging and "touching gloves" and all that shit nowadays before they actually start to fight. Caught Ortiz off guard, why wouldn't it catch the ref off guard. What PBF did was poor sportsmanship, but after that blatant bullshit headbutt that could have knocked his jaw loose, I don't think Floyd gave a fuck about good sportsmanship anymore.

Cousteau

goldlion054 said:
get the fuck out of here. That could be the best fight in boxing in the last 10 years, at least on paper. Forget how Floyd won this fight (legitimately) , just focus on what we can have

Let us have nice things

no.

I'm fine without it thank you.
Floyd is a punk ass bitch who hits woman.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
abuC said:
Floyd is a genius, this villian role has everyone hating him and paying to see him lose. He tried to be the next Sugar ray 10 years ago always smiling and nobody cared, act like an asshole and everyone tunes in.
Basics here but too true. I actually like him more now than I ever did. If bystanders can't handle boxing and the nature of it all then they should not say a damn thing.

Baby Milo

8.gif

Ortiz is an idiot

NomarTyme

Ninja Scooter said:
because refs are used to guys lollygagging and "touching gloves" and all that shit nowadays before they actually start to fight. Caught Ortiz off guard, why wouldn't it catch the ref off guard. What PBF did was poor sportsmanship, but after that blatant bullshit headbutt that could have knocked his jaw loose, I don't think Floyd gave a fuck about good sportsmanship anymore.
Yeah he could have extended the beat down, but hey? they got everybody to talk about boxing.

MaddenNFL64

That shit was legit. It was a sucker punch, but don't go headbutting a motherfucker, then expect him to hug it out.

Just fight.

Amazing stuff though. People will be talking shit for a while.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Relix said:
No. He never said "Box" or waved his hands to the front or anything. He was just backing away looking at the time table. Joe Cortez really fucked up that one. His face at the KO says it all. Pure unadulterated bullshit. Such a good fight too.

Btw Merchant's quote will go down in history ahahaha
I need to see more replays but he slapped his hands and then as Ortiz was still making up he looked at the time keeper. More video is needed.

Still, ALWAYS BE ON GUARD.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Blackface said:
He wasn't looking because he was making sure a point was being taken away for the headbutt.

Protecting yourself at all times pertains to being in the fight. The fight was stopped by the ref and not restarted.

Damn, this victory is dirty as shit.

Yo Gotti

Banned
lmfao!

That shit did not just happen. Most disappointing boxing match I've ever seen. I'm almost inclined to say that shit was fixed. Glad I wasn't the one who paid for this shit.

Ortiz is probably smiling because he made more money tonight than he has in his entire career.

The M.O.B

Gary Whitta said:
This kind of nonsense is why I stopped watching boxing shortly after Tyson's downfall. The sport has been a joke for a while now.

Really?

Your not watching the correct fights.

The over-hyped fighters are generally boring.

It's the guys the mainstream public don't care about that make fore entertaining fights.

Boxing aint dead, never has been.

Baby Milo said:
8.gif

Ortiz is an idiot

Show me where the ref started the fight before Floyd landed that first punch.

Even though I don't fault any of this on Ortiz, I hope the kid learns that he can't leave himself open like that at any time during the fight.

I hope that retarded ref never gets to ref another fight. Fucker took away what could've been a fantastic fucking fight.

Jin34

As a wrestling fan I am saddened that boxing and mma can do wrestling better than WWE. Manny vs PBF is now hotter than ever, Vince in his prime couldn't have done a better job.

Okay looking at that GIF now it looks to me like the ref had restarted and just glanced away for a moment. Like Ortiz he didn't expect PBF to be so fast out of the gate! I have to say Mayweather deserves the win for showing that kind of initiative.

It's seems like Ortiz isn't even out of it after the first punch and looks at the ref instead of putting his gloves up to defend. AMATEUR HOUR

Higgy

That fight is the epitome of what America has become. Thugs acting like animals. Larry Merchant may suck but asking tough questions hardly justifies projecting physical violence on an old man. Fuck that animal.

JaskoX1

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Victor Ortiz will play right into Floyd's hands. He eats overly aggressive dudes like that for lunch. Still it's a much better fight pick than Manny has taken recently.

Satyamdas

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
This kind of nonsense is why I stopped watching boxing shortly after Tyson's downfall. The sport has been a joke for a while now.
Nonsense. There have been dozens of GREAT fights in the last 5 years. Just because your interest is only on the level of the megafights, doesn't mean the sport as a whole is a joke.

I highly doubt you have watched any Vasquez, Marquez, Maidana, Martinez, etc., fights if you think the sport is a joke.

Ha what a dick move by Floyd. I think it's legit though, will need to see the replay to be sure. I would feel bad for Ortiz but after the headbutt he got what was coming.

TheNatural

My Member!
Cortez was over looking out of the ring and shit for the point deduction, he's the one that needed to be fired. Ortiz was apologizing for the headbutt while Cortez was doing that shit, and got sucker punched. Basically, the way Floyd rolls though. He likes to beat women and get in nightclub fights.

tycoonheart said:
Show me where the ref started the fight before Floyd landed that first punch.

Even though I don't fault any of this on Ortiz, I hope the kid learns that he can't leave himself open like that at any time during the fight.

I hope that retarded ref never gets to ref another fight. Fucker took away what could've been a fantastic fucking fight.

He started the fight when he allowed the fighters to touch gloves and get that close. When the fight is still not started the fighters are kept away from each other. What do you want, an announcer to yell "FIGHT!" like in street fighter?

AiTM

Banned
Higgy said:
That fight is the epitome of what America has become. Thugs acting like animals. Larry Merchant may suck but asking tough questions hardly justifies projecting physical violence on an old man. Fuck that animal.

Come on son. Floyd Mayweather isnt America

Yo Gotti

Banned
Damn, Ortiz looks heartbroken laying on his back. :lol

If Mayweather has ever known anything, it's boxing and publicity, the man knows what he's doing. People are going to be SOOOO hyped for whatever his next fight is, whether they want him to win or lose, he's setting up to break records.

Gary Whitta said:
The sport will surely miss you. Bye!

NomarTyme said:
Its a good gotcha bitch!

A guy that pick and choose his fight? lol.
Well he already has a few of those between GSP and Anderson. lol.

Merchant has been biased as shit against Floyd.

He's also a horrible commentator, and a known alcoholic.

Disliking Floyd is one thing, but if anything, they both looked immature during that interview.

Personally though, I tend to hold the commentators/announcers more accountable, as they are supposed to be unbiased and (implied) more intelligent than the athletes.

Fuck Merchant. Should have been retired by HBO years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom