• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ninja Scooter said:
Ortiz fucked up because he expected the fighters to do what all fighters do nowadays after a round or fight is restarted, touch gloves, whisper sweet nothings to each other, then take a step back and get into their fighting stance. Floyd took some initiative. Like I said, he was a poor sport, but Ortiz had already thrown that out the window with his headbutt so I can't get too mad for that, but he didn't do anything illegal.

There's plenty of headbutts, intentional or not in boxing. Holyfield was the king of it. Doesn't mean Tyson had the right to bite his fucking ear off.

Bottom line is, Ortiz was starting to get to get to Mayweather, Mayweather kept grabbing - Cortez also wasn't breaking when Mayweather was holding him in the corner either. He headbutted, and got the point taken off, fair punishment. Cortez didn't give a clear start to the round he was off looking outside the ring expecting instead of a clear restart of the fight.

Horrible referring, a stupid headbutt, and the worst bitch made move I've seen in boxing since Tyson-Holyfield II, or Golata's intentional low blow fest fights. Basically sums up boxing nowadays.

The M.O.B

Higgy said:
Don't give a fuck what you say. Floyds a fucking thug. No class acts like an animal. You can let your kids look up to that shit. Like I said it just how America is now. Bullying an old man, grabbing dudes around the neck, and how many criminal charges against this animal? Yeah it's just me on a high horse you fucking retards.

GTFO!

Your an idiot.

Luixfern

The fight was reinstated. If it wasn't Joe would have DQ's Mayweather. Ortiz is just an idiot. Reminded me of Pat Berry being all lovey with Crocop.

Higgy said:
How about the ref starting the action when he's ready? Look at the gif, ortez is still talking to the scorers table and thug glances over and sees otrez isn't looking and throws the first punch.

May wanna come up with another code word for ni**er....

Higgy said:
Don't give a fuck what you say. Floyds a fucking thug. No class acts like an animal. You can let your kids look up to that shit. Like I said it just how America is now. Bullying an old man, grabbing dudes around the neck, and how many criminal charges against this animal? Yeah it's just me on a high horse you fucking retards.

I hate the internet for allowing people like you to have a voice.

InertiaXr

Francinium said:
You can see how pissed Mayweather was during the hug. Of course he's going to swing as soon as he can. That's just instinct, anyone calling him dirty has probably never been hit by a cheap shot.

So you call it a cheap shot but earlier in the same sentence you seem to indicate you don't think he is dirty? You do know the relationship between these two things right?

Jin34 said:
I don't follow boxing, but aren't there only 2 guys that can draw right now? And both in their mid 30s?

I would say the Klitscko brothers are pretty big draws, at least in Europe. Canelo can be a big money maker too if his following with Mexican fans grows. It's just real top heavy.

RBH

AzUTa.png

jzj4p.png

Higgy

Ninja Scooter said:
Yet the old man Merchant was the only one projecting violence. Floyd never said anything about hitting him or kicking his ass.

Going nose to nose with an elderly man. Can you imagine if a guy in the street acted just like that to your grandfather you wouldn't feel worried at all huh? Lol. You guy sure will stick up for anything as long as its an athlete you like.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
scorcho said:
just replayed the clip and the ref did say "Let's go", then looked to the timekeeper to restart, i think.
YES, notice him slap or clap his hands too.

Congrats to Mayweather!

Panzon

That ref is at fault for all the bizarreness that went down. PBF did what he had to do and Ortiz is an idiot. As the commentator said ROOKIE MISTAKE

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Cortez is a ref with vast experience. Very. Very. Vast. I feel he was intimidated somehow in the ring. A real ref would have stopped there and let Ortiz recover. That was pure BS. *still salty*

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Are you people idiots? Honestly? Seriously?

The fight WAS FIXED.

All your questions about why Ortiz is smiling and doesn't at least seem mad at the cheap shots. The whole " well you gotta keep your guard up at all times" shit. The questions if the head butt was intentional or not. The fight was fixed.

It looked more like a WWE match than anything.

The FIGHT WAS FIXED.

Both go home with millions more in their bank accounts.

computers putin' said:
Why was Ortiz NOT pissed?!?!?! Freakin weird man. There probably isn't gonna be a rematch, it seems almost like Ortiz is relieved it's over.

Probably because he realized he shouldn't have put his guard down no matter what retard was reffing the fight.

TheNatural said:
There's plenty of headbutts, intentional or not in boxing. Holyfield was the king of it. Doesn't mean Tyson had the right to bite his fucking ear off.

Bottom line is, Ortiz was starting to get to get to Mayweather, Mayweather kept grabbing - Cortez also wasn't breaking when Mayweather was holding him in the corner either. He headbutted, and got the point taken off, fair punishment. Cortez didn't give a clear start to the round he was off looking outside the ring expecting instead of a clear restart of the fight.

Horrible referring, a stupid headbutt, and the worst bitch made move I've seen in boxing since Tyson-Holyfield II, or Golata's intentional low blow fest fights. Basically sums up boxing nowadays.

Please, there is plenty of headbutts in boxing, but rarely as blatant as Victors tonight. he wasn't even trying to hide it. Shit was like a Zangeif super or something. And if he was starting to get to Mayweather, then he was stupid for headbutting on purpose and getting the action stopped and losing a point. People like you just see what you want to see because you hate Floyd so bad. If it was Floyd getting KO'd on a restart like that you'd be dancing in the streets.

Higgy said:

Quit calling the man and animal. That a quick way to get banned, my man.

Higgy

Harry Potter said:
I hate the internet for allowing people like you to have a voice.

Ohh, let me go in my room and pout. You got me! if you don't think what happened tonight in the ring is anything but disgusting then I hate the world for birthing people like you.

AiTM

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
I can feel the cynicism and animosity towards "animals" through my comp screen.

I dont know why he has to drag all 300 million of us Americans into it

EDIT: I dont know what country your in bro, but weve invaded countries for less than the fighting words youre laying on us

IrishNinja

Higgy said:

it's true. we're a nation of thugs, and by thugs, you apparently mean athletes trained to hit each other.

this is like that time when i was a kid and learned all about russians from rocky IV.

ps Ninja Scooter & co's Street Fighter analogies are awesome.

Only thing that was missing was Kevin Nash coming in from the crowd and powerbombing Mayweather, and then having Manny come in and cash his money in the bank for the title.

Higgy said:
Ohh, let me go in my room and pout. You got me! if you don't think what happened tonight in the ring is anything but disgusting then I hate the world for birthing people like you.

Nobody cares if you think it was disgusting, stop being a hyperbolic soapbox ass clown and acting like this stupid little boxing match is indicative of what's wrong with America, as if loudmouths, violent people and wife beaters are some new phenomenon.

Ketchup Boy

Cloudy said:
He's getting paid regardless and better to get knocked out by a cheapshot than a legit hit (which would have happened the longer that fight went on the way he was leaving his head exposed)

Yeah, I understand, but the chance of beating supposedly the "greatest" boxer there is, right now, and destroying his perfect record seems much more desirable.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Higgy said:
Mods on an ice cream run or something?

Esch

Banned
As a member of BoxingGAF let me just say: the knockout was legal and was just another example of a rule that's been in play since Ketchel got starched by Papke at the turn of the century. It's fair. That being said, absolutely a bitch move. Headbutts happen. Floyd was using his elbows. Both of them were skirting and breaking the rules, it's what happens in a fight. But that doesn't mean that you sucker punch a dude when he's trying to make a gesture to clean the fight up for the fans. Being a champion, and especially a guy at the top of the p4p lists, is supposed to entail a certain level of sportsmanship and decency for the fans- and to the people who are supporting it, look at what's happened in this thread. People are shitting on boxing now because of it. They don't watch fights like a real fan. They tune in once in a million years when they see them on ESPN. And for once a high profile fight is both entertaining, competitive, and skilled and it ends like this on some weak ass bullshit. It's an embarassment to the sport. I hope Ortiz gets a rematch. Floyd Mayweather can fuck off.

And he wasn't even dominating that fight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jchap said:
Let this be a lesson to Pacquiao who loves to be buddy buddy with his opponents.

That's his strenght: Pacquiao will be buddy buddy but then if you cheap shot him you are fucked. His fight against Mosley showed as much. He was all friendly and going easy, and then Mosley eventually threw him on the ground. Pacquiao went at him for real after that. If that had happened earlier, he would have TKOed Mosley.

goldlion054 said:
I don't know if he was looking at Cortez on purpose....
He definitely was. That punch didn't do any damage. It was the second punch which Ortiz didn't even see that did damage.

Ortiz doesn't give a fuck, he has no heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom