• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Milo

Gary Whitta said:
Okay looking at that GIF now it looks to me like the ref had restarted and just glanced away for a moment. Like Ortiz he didn't expect PBF to be so fast out of the gate! I have to say Mayweather deserves the win for showing that kind of initiative.
Floyd does this every time someone tries makes up with him. He just blast them after a foul.

they should know this by now

Blackface

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Okay looking at that GIF now it looks to me like the ref had restarted and just glanced away for a moment. Like Ortiz he didn't expect PBF to be so fast out of the gate! I have to say Mayweather deserves the win for showing that kind of initiative.

We all watched the fight. The ref didn't restart it.

slider

Every fight I've seen I've always heard a clear "break" and "fight".

Ok, obviously not every fight but... meh, whatever. I never cheer for the underdog. I'm all about reinforcing success.

Harry Potter said:
It's seems like Ortiz isn't even out of it after the first punch and looks at the ref instead of putting his gloves up to defend. AMATEUR HOUR
Yup, the first punch didn't really do any damage. He looks at the ref as if to say "that can't be legal" and doesn't see the second punch coming.

dream

Baby Milo said:
Floyd does this every time someone tries makes up with him. He just blast them after a foul.

they should know this by now

Plus, they already touched gloves. Why is Ortiz trying to hug the guy too?

see5harp

Blackface said:
We all watched the fight. The ref didn't restart it.

He did restart it immediately after the point deduction (it was done quietly without much volume). The strange thing is that he wasn't even watching the fighters and appeared to still be talking to scorer's table. Still, he's a shitty ref and should get anymore big fights.

LQX

If anything this has been one other most worth while boxing matches in years.

It lasted 6 rounds but we have not seen shit this entertaining in years that makes these fights worth the money. I doubt anyone feels ripped off for this fight.

Higgy

Ninja Scooter said:
He started the fight when he allowed the fighters to touch gloves and get that close. When the fight is still not started the fighters are kept away from each other. What do you want, an announcer to yell "FIGHT!" like in street fighter?

How about the ref starting the action when he's ready? Look at the gif, ortez is still talking to the scorers table and thug glances over and sees otrez isn't looking and throws the first punch.

RBH

Higgy said:
That fight is the epitome of what America has become. Thugs acting like animals. Larry Merchant may suck but asking tough questions hardly justifies projecting physical violence on an old man. Fuck that animal.
brendan-fraser.gif

mr_nothin

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
At what point did you see the ref restart in that gif?

Higgy said:
That fight is the epitome of what America has become. Thugs acting like animals. Larry Merchant may suck but asking tough questions hardly justifies projecting physical violence on an old man. Fuck that animal.

get off your fucking high horse. He never threatened Merchant with physical violence. He was simply stating the truth. Merchant has never given Floyd a fair shake. He has always put Floyd down for not doing this or not doing that. Deal with it. Floyd won legitimately and made a valid point to Merchant. Emotions were running high, and Merchant was being entirely rude to Floyd. Nature of the beast

Why would you let down your guard at any time during a fight? After the first hit, he should have known shit was about to get real and defended himself.

This is just going off of the gif though.

But lol mainstream boxing is dying hard.

I want Pac vs PBF just so both sides can shut the fuck up about it.

Gary Whitta said:
If the ref never restarted the fight then the KO is bullshit.

Yep, that needs to be clarified. It's well known that Cortez appears to have a Mayweather bias, but I'm afraid he should have disqualified him if he KOed Ortiz without a restart, regardless of what had happened before.

Mayweather was well on his way to an easy victory, by the way. Shame it ended that way.

The best that can be done now is to get the result changed to a no-contest, which I suspect it will.

Ninja Scooter said:
He started the fight when he allowed the fighters to touch gloves and get that close. When the fight is still not started the fighters are kept away from each other. What do you want, an announcer to yell "FIGHT!" like in street fighter?

Yup, the fight was on, Floyd committed a major faux pas by actually fighting that early, but if he didn't get a KO, nothing would be said about it.

Like I said on the last page, it's kind of funny that something similar happened with Floyd in the Gatti fight. The ref said "stop fighting" all calmly, without even stepping in to separate or even raising his voice, and Floyd threw down and got a knock down.

Wow @ that interview. Stay classy, Mayweather!

Read an interesting article earlier today in the NYT about how Mayweather has an innovative business model for his fights that means he earns from every single thing connected with the fight, from PPV to the peanut concessions. The guy REALLY likes money, apparently.

mr_nothin said:
At what point did you see the ref restart in that gif?
Just saw it from another angle, yeah I think you're right, the restart is arguable at best. Really a cheap shot. LOL boxing.

Higgy said:
How about the ref starting the action when he's ready? Look at the gif, ortez is still talking to the scorers table and thug glances over and sees otrez isn't looking and throws the first punch.

Ortiz fucked up because he expected the fighters to do what all fighters do nowadays after a round or fight is restarted, touch gloves, whisper sweet nothings to each other, then take a step back and get into their fighting stance. Floyd took some initiative. Like I said, he was a poor sport, but Ortiz had already thrown that out the window with his headbutt so I can't get too mad for that, but he didn't do anything illegal.

clemenx

Banned
Seeing the replay and the ref clearly restarted the fight. Nothing to see here, just Ortiz being a naive idiot. What did he want? A kiss?

Higgy said:

come on...

Anduron

You can see how pissed Mayweather was during the hug. Of course he's going to swing as soon as he can. That's just instinct, anyone calling him dirty has probably never been hit by a cheap shot.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Higgy said:
Ever get amped up for MMA or boxing? Floyd wasn't gonna strike the old man but he was highly annoyed since he knew how biased that guys was. His emotions were at a peak then as he just knocked out Ortiz.

I don't know if some of you have ever even faced that kind of high then gone right into being criticized.

Cloudy

Banned
Ketchup Boy said:
What the hel! is the Ortiz kid smiling?!?!? Why isn't he mad?!?!? what the fukk is this sh!t he should want a fukkin rematch or something

He's getting paid regardless and better to get knocked out by a cheapshot than a legit hit (which would have happened the longer that fight went on the way he was leaving his head exposed)

Knux-Future said:
Why would you let down your guard at any time during a fight? After the first hit, he should have known shit was about to get real and defended himself.

This is just going off of the gif though.

But lol mainstream boxing is dying hard.

I want Pac vs PBF just so both sides can shut the fuck up about it.

Mainstream boxing is what's NOT dying. the big draws and big fights will always pull down big numbers and millions of dollars. What's really being hurt is the lesser known guys who make great fights and aren't even heard from.

The headbutt looked like it didn't do any damage to Mayweather. He was probably more angry than affected by it in any way. Sucker punching someone like that seems worse to me but none of it is as bad as the ref. If the fight is a go then why aren't you watching, you old fuck?

Mayweather won but boxing lost. What a joke. And it looked like Floyd was going to dominate him anyway.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
just replayed the clip and the ref did say "Let's go", then looked to the timekeeper to restart, i think.

mr_nothin

Banned
Francinium said:
You can see how pissed Mayweather was during the hug. Of course he's going to swing as soon as he can. That's just instinct, anyone calling him dirty has probably never been hit by a cheap shot.
But if the round was never restarted....none of that matters.

dream

Ninja Scooter said:
Ortiz fucked up because he expected the fighters to do what all fighters do nowadays after a round or fight is restarted, touch gloves, whisper sweet nothings to each other, then take a step back and get into their fighting stance. Floyd took some initiative. Like I said, he was a poor sport, but Ortiz had already thrown that out the window with his headbutt so I can't get too mad for that, but he didn't do anything illegal.

Plus, look at Ortiz's post-fight reaction. He didn't act like a man who just got knocked out by a cheap shot. He acted like a guy who knew he fucked up and let his guard down in the middle of a fight.

Higgy said:

Yet the old man Merchant was the only one projecting violence. Floyd never said anything about hitting him or kicking his ass.

Higgy

goldlion054 said:
get off your fucking high horse. He never threatened Merchant with physical violence. He was simply stating the truth. Merchant has never given Floyd a fair shake. He has always put Floyd down for not doing this or not doing that. Deal with it. Floyd won legitimately and made a valid point to Merchant. Emotions were running high, and Merchant was being entirely rude to Floyd. Nature of the beast

Don't give a fuck what you say. Floyds a fucking thug. No class acts like an animal. You can let your kids look up to that shit. Like I said it just how America is now. Bullying an old man, grabbing dudes around the neck, and how many criminal charges against this animal? Yeah it's just me on a high horse you fucking retards.

Higgy said:
Don't give a fuck what you say. Floyds a fucking thug. No class acts like an animal. You can let your kids look up to that shit. Like I said it just how America is now. Bullying an old man, grabbing dudes around the neck, and how many criminal charges against this animal? Yeah it's just me on a high horse you fucking retards.

man shut the fuck up.

Jin34

Ninja Scooter said:
Mainstream boxing is what's NOT dying. the big draws and big fights will always pull down big numbers and millions of dollars. What's really being hurt is the lesser known guys who make great fights and aren't even heard from.

I don't follow boxing, but aren't there only 2 guys that can draw right now? And both in their mid 30s?

MaddenNFL64

Higgy said:

An animal? Man, fuck you.

C Jones

Higgy said:
Calm down dude. You're pulling a Merchant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom