• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I have no sympathy for a guy who tried to throw a flying headbutt in a boxing match. Don't care if Floyd is a jerk in real life/the media but I'm glad he did this.

abuC

WrikaWrek said:
Gotta say though, the way Ortiz just ate it twice without even a moan, and the smile he came back with...

Over cooked

I'm just bitter. I'll watch whatever fight people talk about here.
Well, that's not really a high profile mainstream fight, but boxing Gaf will be all over it though. Froch always has entertaining fights and Ward is really skilled.

Baby Milo

i love how people are forgetting that vic purposely landed an x-factor e.honda headbutt but are crying about two legal punches

cmon son!

polyh3dron said:
man fuck Floyd.

that may have been legal, but it sure as shit wasn't sportsmanlike.

Totally unsportsmanlike, but i guess he is 42-0 now. Anything to stay undefeated and get that bigger purse for PBF

AiTM

Banned
Cloudy said:
400795784.jpg

lol

MAYWEATHER v. MERCHANT...2011 v 1961

WrikaWrek

Banned
Baby Milo said:
this dude is really upset over a boxing match he had no involvement in

this is hilarious!

I imagine religious folks would get rilled up by this at least. Does what he does, wins how he wins, and then gets you that sugar with his "gotta thank god".

dream

Baby Milo said:
i love how people are forgetting that vic purposely landed an x-factor e.honda headbutt but are crying about two legal punches

cmon son!

Not to mention the other headbutts in the clinch that weren't called...

Ninja Scooter said:
Please, there is plenty of headbutts in boxing, but rarely as blatant as Victors tonight. he wasn't even trying to hide it. Shit was like a Zangeif super or something. And if he was starting to get to Mayweather, then he was stupid for headbutting on purpose and getting the action stopped and losing a point. People like you just see what you want to see because you hate Floyd so bad. If it was Floyd getting KO'd on a restart like that you'd be dancing in the streets.

Do you not understand what people are trying to say?

Ortiz was getting deducted a point for his headbutt.

Floyd won the fight because of his dirty punches.

One was punished the other won because of their dirty moves.

And you are comparing a barely connecting headbutt to two clean punches to the face that would have knocked anyone out.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ali got known for a punch he didn't take at one point. Floyd will now get known for one he did.

Even though Ali could be an asshole, and he was an asshole, this is a whole other level.

Esch

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
I agree with everything you said, I guess I just give Floyd a pass on the poor sportsmanship because of how blatantly dirty Ortiz's headbutt was. Yeah he can apologize all he wants because it mostly missed, but if he would have knocked PBF in the jaw he'd have accomplished what he wanted.

To the second part of your statement, the reason this exists is because people like Floyd and Bob Arum and Golden Boy don't give a shit about boxing. They want to get as much money as they can now. Dana White has said it countless times, but the problem for the sport is there is nobody looking out for it. Even the commissions are greedy and corrupt. Floyd and his camp couldn't give 2 fucks that people are bad mouthing the sport after this, because he just made enough money to put his great-great-great-great-great-great grandkids through college.

Like I said son, dirty. And definitely out of line. But he went out of his way to apologize profusely. Also, the probability of a KO by headbutt is nigh nonexistent. I've watched all eras of filmed boxing, and continue to, from championship fighters to club smokers, and i've never seen one. And that would certainly result in a DQ win. The fucking commissions are a whole other story, but it is ultimately up to the athletes themselves to maintain a high level of professionalism about the sport. Especially in one historically derided for primitive barbarism.
Satyamdas said:
Bingo. Only thing I disagree with is I'm not interested in seeing a rematch, even though it sucks for Ortiz to have his only shot vanish thanks to ignorance on his part and bitch made-ness on Floyd's part. Ortiz just doesn't have the skills to open someone like Floyd up. He gets sloppy as soon as they got close every time, threw a ton of desperate and ineffective over the top punches, and when that wasn't really doing anything he resorts to a Balrog headbutt. He might have worn Floyd down or caught him with a lucky shot, but it wasn't looking likely. I'd much rather Floyd move on to Khan or Pacquiao or whoever next. No desire to see this one again. And Ortiz really needs to wakeup. Save that bro hug shit for when the fight is over, son.

With all due respect I disagree. Ortiz was landing quite a few decent power punches and had floyd moving and punching more than i've seen since his lightweight days really. I would greatly enjoy a rematch with Kenny Bayless as the referee. Headbutts are part and parcel of infighting. Duran did them. So does hopkins. So did Holyfield. Basilio, etc.
Cipherr said:
People need to get the fuck over it. High profile games/fights/matches pull in more views, it always fucking has. More people watch the Superbowl than they do week 12, more people will watch Mayweather than any other fighter, and more people watch the NBA finals than they do the regular season.

If the shit mystifies you, get a clue. Some of those people watch those high profile matches and become more steady fans of the sport, some dont. Deal with it.
Doesn't mystify me at all. Just wanted to call them turds for complaining about a sport they don't know cockall about.

Higgy said:
Love how this shit gets twisted into race. Wife Hispanic. Voted for Obama. But in today's society you can't say shit/truth without it getting twisted. Mayweather is a straight up thug ass criminal woman beater bully ass bitch.

Because nobody cares. Nobody is inviting Floyd over for dinner or introducing them to their daughter. If you ever followed sports (especially boxing) at any point in history you probably rooted for someone who is one of the things you just described. It's nothing new and certainly not exclusive to "today's society" so get the fuck over it already.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Can someone tell me what higgy( who ever that is) said?

dream

EschatonDX said:
Like I said son, dirty. And definitely out of line. But he went out of his way to apologize profusely. Also, the probability of a KO by headbutt is nigh nonexistent. I've watched all eras of filmed boxing, and continue to, from championship fighters to club smokers, and i've never seen one. And that would certainly result in a DQ win. The fucking commissions are a whole other story, but it is ultimately up to the athletes themselves to maintain a high level of professionalism about the sport. Especially in one historically derided for primitive barbarism.

I don't think the KO is the intention, though. I think he wanted to open a cut.

WrikaWrek said:
Gotta say though, the way Ortiz just ate it twice without even a moan, and the smile he came back with...

Over cooked

I'm just bitter. I'll watch whatever fight people talk about here.
That is dumb, not all fighters react the same way to a loss. Since I assume you watch MMA, remember when Vera had his orbital broken against Jones and just sat there smiling like retard while poking it and hamming it up for the camera? Some fighters just aren't emotional. There is no way those two shots he ate were scripted or pulled.

Takuan

WrikaWrek said:
Gotta say though, the way Ortiz just ate it twice without even a moan, and the smile he came back with....
That was the most perplexing part of the fight. I don't know how a man goes from being frustrated to the point of pulling a blatantly illegal move, to losing by cheapshot and smiling like it wasn't a big deal. Absolutely queer. Just a really strange fight from headbutt to conclusion. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from knock-out to post-fight interview.

qcf x2

That Singer Guy... said:
What Mayweather just did is immortalized himself forever & also relit a match under the dying sport we call boxing.

Dat hyperbole.

Mayweather was gonna hit the dude whether it was "legal" or not; just so happens the ref was so terrible that it ended up working in Mayweather's favor. It was a bad way to end the fight, but Ortiz brought it on himself, first by losing it and headbutting him when he finally seemed to be getting somewhere and then by acting all doofy and aloof in the middle of the match he trained months for. And for Mayweather, the shit-talking with a ~70 yr old man after the match was really unfortunate.

All in all, nobody in their right mind expected Ortiz to win, but this ending was disappointing.

smurfx

get some go again
LQX said:
If anything this has been one other most worth while boxing matches in years.

It lasted 6 rounds but we have not seen shit this entertaining in years that makes these fights worth the money. I doubt anyone feels ripped off for this fight.
well i'm glad i didn't pay for this shit and i'm not paying for any of floyds upcoming matches either. sure the ending was more exciting than his usual boring decision garbage. meh i'll just stick to mexican boxing for now and avoid this shit.

dream

Takuan said:
That was the most perplexing part of the fight. I don't know how a man goes from being frustrated to the point of pulling a blatantly illegal move, to losing by cheapshot and smiling like it wasn't a big deal. Absolutely queer. Just a really strange fight from headbutt to conclusion. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from knock-out to post-fight interview.

I don't think it's that weird. He lost the fight and accepted it.

Straightballin said:
He threw two undefended punches. Your telling me all he wanted to do was open a cut?

I was referring to Ortiz's super headbutt.

IrishNinja

yo Cipherr i see you talkin real greazy about eschatonDX

bout to lay hands on you like ya creepy uncle nahmean

i am a very tough man on the internet

Esch

Banned
dream said:
I don't think the KO is the intention, though. I think he wanted to open a cut.
I don't think guys butt with that intention per se, although I'm no mind reader. Butts are a typical infighting tool for opening someone up when you're face to face. Plus he got the point deducted anyway, so...

Straightballin said:
Do you not understand what people are trying to say?

Ortiz was getting deducted a point for his headbutt.

Floyd won the fight because of his dirty punches.

One was punished the other won because of their dirty moves.

And you are comparing a barely connecting headbutt to two clean punches to the face that would have knocked anyone out.

I'm saying attempting a flying headbutt is not only dirty, but dangerous and illegal. What Floyd did was only dirty, but not against the rules, so no, i'm not even mad.

TheNatural

My Member!
theviolenthero said:
Ok, i just watched the clip again and the ref clearly looks at the table and says "start it" (the clock). I don't know the technicalities of that so maybe someone with more knowledge can explain.

Clip below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yg1aiFA1M4

Problem is, Cortez was still fudging around kinda saying go, then they met in the center, he was still bullshitting about the scorecards when he did it.

If you ever watch UFC you see a lot of "go back to your corner" insistence, and this is a good reason why. You gotta be clear as a ref, Cortez claims he's "firm but he's fair" - he sure as fuck wasn't firm there.

Satyamdas

Banned
EschatonDX said:
With all due respect I disagree. Ortiz was landing quite a few decent power punches and had floyd moving and punching more than i've seen since his lightweight days really. I would greatly enjoy a rematch with Kenny Bayless as the referee. Headbutts are part and parcel of infighting. Duran did them. So does hopkins. So did Holyfield. Basilio, etc.
I'm not saying he deserved what happened because he threw a headbutt, I'm saying he threw it out of frustration because he wasn't landing many shots. He was definitely forcing Floyd to move more than we've seen in a long time, but he wasn't touching him and wasn't putting him in any danger. Ortiz's close range game is really weak and unpolished still.

If they do rematch I hope he gets that shit sharpened up in time.

Ninja Scooter said:
I'm saying attempting a flying headbutt is not only dirty, but dangerous and illegal. What Floyd did was only dirty, but not against the rules, so no, i'm not even mad.
Pretty much. Floyd may be a douche, but Ortiz is an idiot. I'm more pissed off that Ortiz didn't give a fuck and just let Floyd KO him. It could have been a decent fight, but Ortiz had to be a moron and fuck it up.

Esch

Banned
But for Floyd himself- this was the type of shit people hate his trashy ass for. All the shit he gets about having no class, being a wifebeater, being a coward, etc.. This is throwing fuel on the fire. And it's why I refuse to drop any scrill on his PPV's.

I thought it was funny people mentioned this as something of a warning to Pacquiao. If PBF did this to Pac that little asian typhoon would go terminator.

Satyamdas said:
I'm not saying he deserved what happened because he threw a headbutt, I'm saying he threw it out of frustration because he wasn't landing many shots. He was definitely forcing Floyd to move more than we've seen in a long time, but he wasn't touching him and wasn't putting him in any danger. Ortiz's close range game is really weak and unpolished still.

If they do rematch I hope he gets that shit sharpened up in time.

I thought he had landed some nice short shots at middle range. But then again i'm hammered and i was with a few other people. I'll probably rewatch it again tomorrow.

theviolenthero said:
Ok, i just watched the clip again and the ref clearly looks at the table and says "start it" (the clock). I don't know the technicalities of that so maybe someone with more knowledge can explain.

Clip below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yg1aiFA1M4

Fight was clearly started, he said lets go twice.

Doesn't even matter if he was looking or not, after the headbutt, Floyd was going to hit him either way. Ortiz seemed like he was a bit embarrassed by his actions, trying to overcompensate. I feel like he was trying to calm Floyd down, and Floyd was having none of it.

Edit : At 1:04, they are on opposite ends of the ring and Cortes says "lets go".

TheNatural said:
Problem is, Cortez was still fudging around kinda saying go, then they met in the center, he was still bullshitting about the scorecards when he did it.

If you ever watch UFC you see a lot of "go back to your corner" insistence, and this is a good reason why. You gotta be clear as a ref, Cortez claims he's "firm but he's fair" - he sure as fuck wasn't firm there.

Cortez did a shit job by not paying attention, but you can't put that on Floyd (or Ortiz). it was pretty clear that he restarted the fight, he said fight, put his hands together to indicate the fighters can engage, and then LET them engage. He then, for some reason, inexplicably looked away for an extended amount of time but how is that the fighters' problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom