• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Satyamdas said:
Dude, it's Floyd stan #8235. Disregard him. Floyd stans are the most delusional and off-kilter stans out there.
Yeah but I dont expect some semi bannable fake houdini mind reading insult shit even from that type nahmeans?

Tapiozona

Banned
Plywood said:
Okay, I only came over heere cause someone posted a clip from the post fight in the Wrasslin Thread.

Did Ortiz try to touch gloves?

Also why was Mayweather pissed at the old guy?

He didnt try and touch glvoes..he kissed him and tried to hug him twice after intentionally head butting him.

Because it's too easy to hate on Mayweather. His own fault but I guess he's sick of playing nice with people who just talk shit about him in their fight analysis. Plus his next question would have been "Why are you afraid to fight Pacquiao".

Plywood said:
Okay, I only came over heere cause someone posted a clip from the post fight in the Wrasslin Thread.

Did Ortiz try to touch gloves? edit: Oh I see.

Also why was Mayweather pissed at the old guy?
The old guy is biased against Mayweather and Mayweather cusses him out on live ppv. The old guy responds by saying," If I was 50 years younger I would kick your ass." Which actually sounds kind of bad-ass.

TheNatural

My Member!
Fuck it, I'm over Mayweather's shit. Hopefully all the people talking about this fight will keep up with Hopkins and Bad Chad Dawson next month. Hopkins doing pushups between rounds schooling a guy half his age is more fun that putting up with the Mayweather circus.

CaptYamato said:
Ortiz has no heart. This has been known for awhile.
Exactly.
Ortiz likes to surf. He spent a year and a half at Ventura College, in between two jobs and training. He says he wants to get through boxing cogently enough to "dive out of a plane if I want to. At the end of the day boxing isn't what defines me. I'm Victor, not Vicious. That's my other persona. I don't even know that guy."
This is all you need to know about Ortiz.

Ref lost control of that fight. Old fuck wasn't even looking at Mayweather and Ortiz. He looked confused when Ortiz gave Mayweather the kiss and he looked downright dumbfounded when he saw Ortiz get clocked out of the corner of his eye

theBishop

Banned
TheNatural said:
Fuck it, I'm over Mayweather's shit. Hopefully all the people talking about this fight will keep up with Hopkins and Bad Chad Dawson next month. Hopkins doing pushups between rounds schooling a guy half his age is more fun that putting up with the Mayweather circus.

Shit son. Maravilla Martinez is fighting before that. He's the real deal right now.

Carlbeego

TheNatural said:

Shit. Talking about dirty. Hopkins is the king of dirty.

Esch

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
Exactly.

This is all you need to know about Ortiz.
Nonsense. He got up from knockdowns to take out Berto, and quite clearly he showed spirit in there tonight, even if it manifested in the wrong way. Yes he is emotionally flawed, but no heart? Fuck that, anyone who gets in the prize ring and bulls like he does is no coward.

And so what if he has two personas? Ezzard Charles described himself the same way to a psychiatrist before Marciano, as being split between a psychotic ring animal and a cultured man who played the bass and read frequently. Fighters are people too, and sometimes they're complicated.

As for Hopkins, objectively dirtier than mayweather ever will be.

Yo Gotti said:
I've been watching the replays and I really think Ortiz threw that fight.

1. He went in for not 1, but 2 hugs. Very slow, pathetic looking hugs... WTF? Apologize once man, you know you were dirty with that headbutt but all that shit in the middle of a fight? I've got a hard time believing he's feeling that bad after the fight just started heating up.

2. After the first punch he didn't even attempt to put his guard up. He was clearly in control at this point and didn't even try. Just stared stupidly at the ref. Amateur excuse? Fuck no. He's too good of a boxer for that.

3. He ATE that second punch, no dodge or reaction time at all, I know Mayweather's fast but damn, after you get sucker punched once isn't it natural to at least man-up and prepare for the worst? Isn't he trained specifically to do that? Yet he didn't do shit, again, Ortiz is a monster he should have at least snapped back, blinked... anything. But no, nothing.

4. He didn't attempt to get up, he went down fully aware of the countdown, and stayed down like he was waiting for a sympathy call. He should know his boxing rules enough to know that if he didn't at least TRY to get up he was going to lose the fight. After the count he stands right up, and 20 seconds later he's smiling in the corner.

I dunno but it seems fishy and very damn unprofessional how this fight ended.

Although boxing does have a long history of shady fights, and even for as strange as tonight was, there really isn't much to go on to conclude that there was some sort of "agreement" between fighters.

There is all kinds of nuance between "fixed fight", "giving up", "being lackadaisical", etc. I always see people say "omg, he didn't even try to get up"...Ortiz legs probably felt like Jello after that knockdown. He was finished. If he used all his will to get back up, he was going to be going back down soon after. Did he give up on himself? Probably. Wa shetruly physically incapable of getting back up? Maybe. Did Floyd pay him money in the lounge before the fight? Highly unlikely.

And you guys are overstating his glance at the ref a bit much. The punch turned his head, his clock was cleaned, there is no way to know what was going through his head. That gif is slowed down a bit, it all happened very fast.

EschatonDX said:
Nonsense. He got up from knockdowns to take out Berto, and quite clearly he showed spirit in there tonight, even if it manifested in the wrong way. Yes he is emotionally flawed, but no heart? Fuck that, anyone who gets in the prize ring and bulls like he does is no coward.

And so what if he has two personas? Ezzard Charles described himself the same way to a psychiatrist before Marciano, as being split between a psychotic ring animal and a cultured man who played the bass and read frequently. Fighters are people too, and sometimes they're complicated.

As for Hopkins, objectively dirtier than mayweather ever will be.

Never said he was a coward. He has no heart. Two different things. He knew he was going to lose and said fuck it. He's already paid.

Esch

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Never said he was a coward. He has no heart. Two different things. He knew he was going to lose and said fuck it. He's already paid.
I don't see what you're seeing at all, but you're welcome to that I suppose.

CaptYamato said:
He's definitely not a coward, but I wouldn't say that he knew that he was going to lose. He just don't give a fuck about boxing, that's all. He doesn't have a killer instinct. A real fighter would put up his hands as soon as he saw Mayweather doing it. He certainly shouldn't be looking at the ref and keeping his hands down after taking a hit.

Esch

Banned
Kidney shots are illegal. Liver shots are a-ok.

AndyMoogle said:
He's definitely not a coward, but I wouldn't say that he knew that he was going to lose. He just don't give a fuck about boxing, that's all. He doesn't have a killer instinct. A real fighter would put up his hands as soon as he saw Mayweather doing it. He certainly shouldn't be looking at the ref and keeping his hands down after taking a hit.

Sometimes people are just careless.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Floyd knows how to keep em talking..

if this was a normal bout it would have been a 5 page thread tops, but he does his magic and this thing is 10 pages strong.. (i am on real poster status so its 100 posts per page)

aktham

TheNatural said:
6157964388_d5b611f537.jpg

LOL I lost it. Looks like PBF is gonna have to use some of that money to build a time machine

Baby Milo said:
i wish this would have happened in a may-pac fight

the internet would be on lockdown right now
It never would have happened between them. Pacquiao doesn't try to hug his opponent 40 times before getting back into the fight.

Also, if Mayweather had punched Pacquiao while Pacquiao was trying to touch gloves he would have raged.

TheNatural

My Member!
abuC said:
Watch Bernard in clinches, he's always hitting the lower back region (kidney shots).

The only fights I've seen him in recently with dirty shots was Pascal rabbit punching him both fights, and the HBO guys would point it out.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You gotta protect yourself at all times in the ring...

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Not enough wtfs for this. What the f was Ortiz thinking with that headbutt. What the f was Joe Cortez doing. Did he even signal time in to resume the fight? If he did and it was clear then even if its a punk move what Mayweather did was legal. After getting clocked once why the hell didnt Ortiz cover up? Even after saying all that I am through watching Mayweather unless he man's up and fights pacman.

Baby Milo said:
yup been saying this

Floyd does not fuck around with that "lets kiss and make up shit" in a fight
The difference being that Mosley gets pissed and focus on Floyd instead of trying to complain to the ref with his arms down.

Nesotenso said:
Yeah, if Ortiz wanted to apologize he should have done so after the fight.
He already gave him one hug right after the headbutt. After that he should have started focusing on getting back into the fight.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
SSGMUN10000 said:
Not enough wtfs for this. What the f was Ortiz thinking with that headbutt. What the f was Joe Cortez doing. Did he even signal time in to resume the fight? If he did and it was clear then even if its a punk move what Mayweather did was legal. After getting clocked once why the hell didnt Ortiz cover up? Even after saying all that I am through watching Mayweather unless he man's up and fights pacman.

All these questions lead to one obvious conclusion that no one seems to want to discuss.

IT WAS FIXED.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Are we seriously acting like Floyd wasn't taxing Victor's ass all night? This was going to be a stoppage sooner or later. Between every round on HBO, all they showed was Floyd's right hand landing squarely on Victor's face. He had nothing, and I mean nothing for Floyd. Floyd was backup up a boxer that weighed 17 pounds more than him and was teeing off at will. Floyd got into Victor's hand. Do you know how demoralizing it is for Victor to talk all of his shit, hit Floyd, then Floyd just shakes his head like, no, you ain't got shit for me. This Floyd was better than the one that fought Mosley.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Nesotenso said:
Yeah, if Ortiz wanted to apologize he should have done so after the fight.

The thing is if you watch it he let him touch gloves and hug him and dude didn't defend himself at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom