• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ether_Snake said:
That's why I want to see him fight Floyd. Not sure who would win, but it would be a good fight. Good guy VS Bad guy. Like a movie.

After tonight i gotta go with Floyd beating Manny now.
To take 16 months off,fight a dude that's 10yrs younger and 14 pounds heavier is pretty impressive. Didn't think he'd come back that sharp.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ninja Scooter said:
there was an undercard, plus 4 rounds of Money/Ortiz, during which there was a lot of good action. Seems like a lot of the people that complain about this kind of stuff are the ones that watch like one boxing fight a year and are disappointed because it doesn't play out like something out of Rocky 4.

You'll get no argument from me that Cortez was sloppy with how he handled it, I just don't think Mayweather should be punished for it.

Punished in what way? Not like the guy is losing his purse or anything. I mean it was a cheap shot. The outcry from people PO'ed about it is justified. It's no different than any other point in a fight, MMA, boxing, or otherwise that there's a code that "ok guy has his hands down trying to apologize, touch gloves, he's defenseless" its pretty damn rare that anyone ever attacks from that even though it's technically legal.

If he's pissed from the headbutt, I mean so be it, push his ass away, say "fuck you" and have none of it and then fight him. It's a bitch move to hit him when his gloves are down, that's always been a code of any combat art.

LuchaShaq

Banned
methodman said:
mark jackson just tweeted:

Hey Ortiz, Hand Down Man Down!!!!!!!

i <3 you coach!

Oh man that is golden.

Hopefully this puts an end to a clearly intentional foul leading to a bullshit bro hug and kiss in the middle of the ring/cage.

One of my least favorite combat sports trends.

JABEE

Reading more of the response to this fight, he actually kissed him??? I thought reading this thread that they were using as a term for landing a punch.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jim Rome said:
Mayweather has been here before, Ortiz hasn't. It showed. Touch gloves if you want. Hug & kiss not only unnecessary, it got him clocked.

Via his twitter, sums it up for me.

hawt

CaptYamato said:
What were the punches landed/thrown? I have some guy on FB saying Ortiz was landing everything and beating May's ass.
Ortiz wasn't doing all that well until the 4th round in my opinion (before the headbutt of course).

TheNatural said:
Punished in what way? Not like the guy is losing his purse or anything. I mean it was a cheap shot. The outcry from people PO'ed about it is justified. It's no different than any other point in a fight, MMA, boxing, or otherwise that there's a code that "ok guy has his hands down trying to apologize, touch gloves, he's defenseless" its pretty damn rare that anyone ever attacks from that even though it's technically legal.

If he's pissed from the headbutt, I mean so be it, push his ass away, say "fuck you" and have none of it and then fight him. It's a bitch move to hit him when his gloves are down, that's always been a code of any combat art.

I just mean people saying he should have been DQ'd, or the knockdown should have counted because it was illegal. I have no problem with people saying it was cheap, I agree that it was. And if he had done it in the first round i'd be more critical, but coming 5 seconds after Ortiz' cheap AND illegal headbutt, i'm not sweating it too much.

theBishop

Banned
Is it legal to throw two haymakers at a guy while the clock is stopped? Cortez did not resume the action after taking a point from Ortiz.

I think it was an intentional foul from Ortiz, and he was being a prick with the hugs/kisses, but that doesn't justify punching before time-in. IF that's what happened. "Protect Yourself At All Times" is a message of caution to each boxer, not an invite to disregard "Obey my commands at all times".

smurfx

get some go again
CaptYamato said:
Nope, it is a big deal because it is PBF. If it was Pac-Man everyone would be stumbling over themselves to point out that it was legal.
pacquiao wouldn't do that. i'm not a pacman fan either.

leadbelly

Banned
dream said:
This is so great and I wish everyone in this thread got it.

What's not to get? He's basically saying keep you hands up. As in defence.

Anyway I'm off to bed. I can't believe I stayed up for that. lol

Esch

Banned
LQX said:
I wonder if it was the reverse anyone would feel anything for Mayweather. I think many would still see it as cheap but I'm sure there would be no sympathy especially from Larry Merchant.
Nah, generally everyone but the stans at least recognizes bad sportsmanship when they see it. Plus the worst thing about it is that it stopped a good and skillful, competitive championship bout. That's the saddest thing about the whole affair.

Jin34

Ninja Scooter said:
I just mean people saying he should have been DQ'd, or the knockdown should have counted because it was illegal. I have no problem with people saying it was cheap, I agree that it was. And if he had done it in the first round i'd be more critical, but coming 5 seconds after Ortiz' cheap AND illegal headbutt, i'm not sweating it too much.

Yeah I'd be just itching to knock his ass out after that blatant headbutt and the immediate: "oh my bad man" bullshit apology.

theBishop said:
Is it legal to throw two haymakers at a guy while the clock is stopped? Cortez did not resume the action after taking a point from Ortiz.

I think it was an intentional foul from Ortiz, and he was being a prick with the hugs/kisses, but that doesn't justify punching before time-in. IF that's what happened. "Protect Yourself At All Times" is a message of caution to each boxer, not an invite to disregard "Obey my commands at all times".

He did sign for them to touch em.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Ortiz was looking at Cortez because Floyd's hook turned his head right to Cortez.

Funny, how people want to change what happened.

Ortiz got what was coming.

Carlbeego

Nonito Donaire Jr.
It can be classless, it can be unsportmanike, even opportunistic, but unforunately, its still legal. Would I pull a mayweather? No. But would I pull an Ortiz and be THAT close to a fighter even IF he was saying sorry? No. Id keep arms length away.

abuC

Syphon Filter said:
Who you guys got Pacman vs Marquez?
Pacman should win since its going to be yet another catchweight, one that Marquez has fought at once. That said, it wouldn't shock me if Jmm won, he was robbed in their second fight.

Esch

Banned
abuC said:
Pacman should win since its going to be yet another catchweight, one that Marquez has never fought at. That said, it wouldn't shock me if Jmm won, he was robbed in their second fight.
laugh.gif

And here...we...go

Zabka

I've seen too many fights fucked up by headbutts (intentional or unintentional) to feel any sympathy for Ortiz.

Then he tries to hug and kiss Floyd right after. That's flat out retarded, give the dude time to cool off or apologize at the end of the round.

hawt

Syphon Filter said:
Pacquiao.

Marquez's past few fights have been as a Lightweight and against Pacquiao, he's going in at Welterweight. The last time he fought at that weight class (which was also his first time) was against Mayweather. Dude seriously did not look too hot at that weight.

Zep

Banned
EschatonDX said:
Fuck do you know about me? If they had cleaned it up and gotten back to the game i would have given both of them credit. As for Floyd. I bet on him to win and the under so don't act like I'm not a fan or a hater. Sit down.

Sorry, gotta call out dumbass statements when I see em. But keep having us believe you would have been like, "yo! mayweathers trashy, wife beating ass could have hit him but I give him props for being a sportsman."

Shut the fuck up.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I've been watching the replays and I really think Ortiz threw that fight.

1. He went in for not 1, but 2 hugs. Very slow, pathetic looking hugs... WTF? Apologize once man, you know you were dirty with that headbutt but all that shit in the middle of a fight? I've got a hard time believing he's feeling that bad after the fight just started heating up.

2. After the first punch he didn't even attempt to put his guard up. He was clearly in control at this point and didn't even try. Just stared stupidly at the ref. Amateur excuse? Fuck no. He's too good of a boxer for that.

3. He ATE that second punch, no dodge or reaction time at all, I know Mayweather's fast but damn, after you get sucker punched once isn't it natural to at least man-up and prepare for the worst? Isn't he trained specifically to do that? Yet he didn't do shit, again, Ortiz is a monster he should have at least snapped back, blinked... anything. But no, nothing.

4. He didn't attempt to get up, he went down fully aware of the countdown, and stayed down like he was waiting for a sympathy call. He should know his boxing rules enough to know that if he didn't at least TRY to get up he was going to lose the fight. After the count he stands right up, and 20 seconds later he's smiling in the corner.

I dunno but it seems fishy and very damn unprofessional how this fight ended.

dream

Zabka said:
I've seen too many fights fucked up by headbutts (intentional or unintentional) to feel any sympathy for Ortiz.

Then he tries to hug and kiss Floyd right after. That's flat out retarded, give the dude time to cool off or apologize at the end of the round.

You do that hugging shit after the fight. Nothing bugs me more than seeing two guys hug it out in the middle of a fight.

Tapiozona

Banned
CaptYamato said:
What were the punches landed/thrown? I have some guy on FB saying Ortiz was landing everything and beating May's ass.

I don't remember the exact numbers but it wasn't even close. Floyd dominated in landed and percentage and dominated even more in power punches landed and percentage. Ortiz was going to lose the fight if it went to the judges. Floyd starting to pick him apart.

Lot of people said Ortiz was landing like crazy but he was just flailing and missing. Very very very few punches were landing on Floyd. The official count only prooves it.

Yo Gotti said:
4. He didn't attempt to get up, he went down fully aware of the countdown, and stayed down like he was waiting for a sympathy call. He should know his boxing rules enough to know that if he didn't at least TRY to get up he was going to lose the fight. After the count he stands right up, and 20 seconds later he's smiling in the corner.

Ortiz has no heart. This has been known for awhile.

Esch

Banned
Zep said:
Sorry, gotta call out dumbass statements when I see em. But keep having us believe you would have been like, "yo! mayweathers trashy, wife beating ass could have hit him but I give him props for being a sportsman."

Shut the fuck up.
There you go again. Fuck did I do to you man? Shit on your lawn? Rape your cat? Steal your job? Slap your wife? Pump your brakes kid, you're out of control. Look man, you don't know anything about me, what I value, or even how I feel about amyweather's career.

You honestly need to calm down.
abuC said:
something something vitamins, something something

Tapiozona

Banned
Yo Gotti said:
I've been watching the replays and I really think Ortiz threw that fight.

1. He went in for not 1, but 2 hugs. Very slow, pathetic looking hugs... WTF? Apologize once man, you know you were dirty with that headbutt but all that shit in the middle of a fight? I've got a hard time believing he's feeling that bad after the fight just started heating up.

2. After the first punch he didn't even attempt to put his guard up. He was clearly in control at this point and didn't even try. Just stared stupidly at the ref. Amateur excuse? Fuck no. He's too good of a boxer for that.

3. He ATE that second punch, no dodge or reaction time at all, I know Mayweather's fast but damn, after you get sucker punched once isn't it natural to at least man-up and prepare for the worst? Isn't he trained specifically to do that? Yet he didn't do shit, again, Ortiz is a monster he should have at least snapped back, blinked... anything. But no, nothing.

He could have just lost it in a decision if he was throwing it. He was already well behind and getting worse by round before shit hit the fan.

Raine

Tapiozona said:
I don't remember the exact numbers but it wasn't even close. Floyd dominated in landed and percentage and dominated even more in power punches landed and percentage. Ortiz was going to lose the fight if it went to the judges. Floyd starting to pick him apart.

Lot of people said Ortiz was landing like crazy but he was just flailing and missing. Very very very few punches were landing on Floyd. The official count only prooves it.
Basically. Floyd was in control of the match and frustrating Ortiz.

Tapiozona said:

this is what I am saying but he is stupid. I need to show him.

smurfx

get some go again
Syphon Filter said:
pac will probably knock him out or have the ref stop the fight this time around. i will be rooting for marquez but i'm not delusional.

Krowley

Watching the replay, it was pretty clear to me that the fight had been restarted. He sent them to a neutral corner, brought them back together and clapped his hands. From that point on, it is legal to throw punches. One of the first rules of boxing is "protect yourself at all times". Once the fight is started, being sportsmanlike with a guy that wants to hug is not required, and nobody should expect it. Also, the fact that the guy had just thrown a blatant headbutt makes me care even less. Serves him right, basically.

theBishop

Banned
Zabka said:

It's not about "Sympathy", Ortiz was rightly penalized for his bullshit. Mayweather was awarded a KO victory for his bullshit.

But I'm mostly interested in whether time-in was called here. Cortez didn't know what the hell was going on. I think he counted because it was the only decisive thing to do. He was in no position to DQ because he's the one who fucked up.

Satyamdas

Banned
EschatonDX said:
There you go again. Fuck did I do to you man? Shit on your lawn? Rape your cat? Steal your job? Slap your wife? Pump your brakes kid, you're out of control. Look man, you don't know anything about me, what I value, or even how I feel about amyweather's career.

You honestly need to calm down.
Dude, it's Floyd stan #8235. Disregard him. Floyd stans are the most delusional and off-kilter stans out there.

Krowley said:
Watching the replay, it was pretty clear to me that the fight had been restarted. He sent them to a neutral corner, brought them back together and clapped his hands. From that point on, it is legal to throw punches. One of the first rules of boxing is "protect yourself at all times". Once the fight is started, being sportsmanlike with a guy that wants to hug and just blatantly headbutted you, and head butted you throughout the fight is not required, and nobody should expect it. Also, the fact that the guy had just thrown a blatant headbutt makes me care even less. Serves him right, basically.

fixed
but I agreed with you before too ;)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Baby Milo said:
8.gif

Ortiz is an idiot
Okay, I only came over heere cause someone posted a clip from the post fight in the Wrasslin Thread.

Did Ortiz try to touch gloves? edit: Oh I see.

Also why was Mayweather pissed at the old guy?

Ninja Scooter said:

Yes the headbutt was illegal, but its not like he got away with it. He got penalized and on top of that the headbutt did no damage to Floyd. People are pissed because they didnt want to see the fight end up that way. They wanted to see one of the fighters win because they were the better boxer.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Tapiozona said:

ya but fuck man, at least lose like a man, and not throw the fight like that.

Plywood said:
Okay, I only came over heere cause someone posted a clip from the post fight in the Wrasslin Thread.

Did Ortiz try to touch gloves? edit: Oh I see.

Also why was Mayweather pissed at the old guy?

Because that old man shits on Money ever chance he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom