• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Milo

bQADl.png

Esch

Banned
Cortez is a fucking shittastic ref. His fingerprints are all over tons of fights. Maidana Khan for example. To be honest I can't tell if he's a corrupt golden boy schill or if he doesn't comprehend the concept of infighting. That being said i would gladly pay money to see him banned from reffing championship fights. Horrible.

hawt

Ryaaan14 said:
Mayweather is the Kanye West of Boxing now I guess.

Integrity seems to really sell nowadays.
Nah, I wouldn't say that. Mayweather's on a whole different level.

EschatonDX said:
Cortez is a fucking shittastic ref. His fingerprints are all over tons of fights. Maidana Khan for example. To be honest I can't tell if he's a corrupt golden boy schill or if he doesn't comprehend the concept of infighting. That being said i would gladly pay money to see him banned from reffing championship fights. Horrible.
He is a terrible ref, but if Ortiz had any killer instinct whatsoever he would have started fighting again instead of trying to hug and kiss. He could at least have put up his hands after that first punch.

EschatonDX said:
But for Floyd himself- this was the type of shit people hate his trashy ass for. All the shit he gets about having no class, being a wifebeater, being a coward, etc.. This is throwing fuel on the fire. And it's why I refuse to drop any scrill on his PPV's.

I thought it was funny people mentioned this as something of a warning to Pacquiao. If PBF did this to Pac that little asian typhoon would go terminator.

I thought he had landed some nice short shots at middle range. But then again i'm hammered and i was with a few other people. I'll probably rewatch it again tomorrow.

Boxing is a WHOLE different sport though. Being hated is actually really good thing.
Internet is going nuts right now with all the Manny fans talking shit.

snack

Ninja Scooter said:
if all you got out of that was "five seconds of action" then you clearly don't like boxing and are stupid for spending 70 dollars on a boxing match.
I didn't buy the PPV, but from the YouTube clip I saw, it looked like five seconds of "wham wham ko" action.

Fair play. I watched the full fight twice and watched the 4th round at 1/2 speed.

A few things to note:

Ortiz's was hell bent on using his head throughout the fight. He was fighting similar to how Holyfield fought Tyson leading with his head and whipping it around at close range.

It worked for Holyfield because Tyson liked to lean in. Floyd pulls/lean back.

Floyd was HEAVILY taunting Ortiz throughout the fight. Ortiz's frustration eventually got the best of him.

Floyd had a similar incident with Gatti in the past but Gatti took the punch better.

I was very surprised that Victor couldn't get back up.

Ortiz got off lightly. He was going to take a severe beating had the fight carried on.

Yea, you can't blame floyd for what he did as long as it isn't illegal. it was cheap, but it was smart and quick thinking on his part. You gotta blame the ref for this.

And there is no absolving Ortiz of his dirtiness just because his headbutt barely connected. the intent was there and it was clearly illegal, and if he connected and cut mayweather open, he would of been an easy target for a k.o. the rest of the match.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ninja Scooter said:
Cortez did a shit job by not paying attention, but you can't put that on Floyd (or Ortiz). it was pretty clear that he restarted the fight, he said fight, put his hands together to indicate the fighters can engage, and then LET them engage. He then, for some reason, inexplicably looked away for an extended amount of time but how is that the fighters' problem?

Because he should be on the fighters at all times telling them to fight and engage. Body language is just as important as words. A lot of times this shit happens in MMA (especially in Cro Cop fights for some reason, the guy loves his bro hugs and handshakes), and the ref is there to say "alright alright" and break it and let them re-engage.

At the point where they were done talking Cortez should have been there to do that, separate them, and make it more clear the fight has restarted, not wishy washy body language and then looking to the side. If he would have done that, Floyd wouldn't have had the opportunity to cheap shot him.

aktham

SMH at people saying the headbutt was unintentional. The guy actually charged down for 2 seconds and went airborne :D

Kitschkraft said:
Fight was clearly started, he said lets go twice.

Doesn't even matter if he was looking or not, after the headbutt, Floyd was going to hit him either way. Ortiz seemed like he was a bit embarrassed by his actions, trying to overcompensate. I feel like he was trying to calm Floyd down, and Floyd was having none of it.

Edit : At 1:04, they are on opposite ends of the ring and Cortes says "lets go".

Ya exactly. Shame on Cortez, a guy lands an intentional head butt like that and then you let the two get that close? Could have been worse.

Zep

Banned
But for Floyd himself- this was the type of shit people hate his trashy ass for. All the shit he gets about having no class, being a wifebeater, being a coward, etc.. This is throwing fuel on the fire. And it's why I refuse to drop any scrill on his PPV's.

And if he didn't throw the punches, I highly fucking doubt you'd acknowledge him not doing it and being a "sportsman"...So please, get off your fucking highhorse.

snack said:
I didn't buy the PPV, but from the YouTube clip I saw, it looked like five seconds of "wham wham ko" action.

there was an undercard, plus 4 rounds of Money/Ortiz, during which there was a lot of good action. Seems like a lot of the people that complain about this kind of stuff are the ones that watch like one boxing fight a year and are disappointed because it doesn't play out like something out of Rocky 4.

TheNatural said:
Because he should be on the fighters at all times telling them to fight and engage. Body language is just as important as words. A lot of times this shit happens in MMA (especially in Cro Cop fights for some reason, the guy loves his bro hugs and handshakes), and the ref is there to say "alright alright" and break it and let them re-engage.

At the point where they were done talking Cortez should have been there to do that, separate them, and make it more clear the fight has restarted, not wishy washy body language and then looking to the side. If he would have done that, Floyd wouldn't have had the opportunity to cheap shot him.

You'll get no argument from me that Cortez was sloppy with how he handled it, I just don't think Mayweather should be punished for it.

8.gif

The gif really says it all, Floyd went for the cheapest of cheap shots. Ortiz's hands were all the way down to the ground and Floyd not only threw one but two punches. It also seemed like he was going with the apology and making up then out of no where throws the two punches. He deserves to be blasted by the media, and I wont consider it "hating on him".

and I am not a Floyd hater, I didn't care much about this fight. I'm just waiting for the Floyd pacquio fight if it ever happens.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's depressing that this is the kind of shit people pay to see.

Controversy is fine, nothing like a little spice on top but, for me...this kind of behavior goes too far, and is a better fit for fake shit like the WWE.

26654e3c.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
computers putin' said:
Yea, you can't blame floyd for what he did as long as it isn't illegal. it was cheap, but it was smart and quick thinking on his part. You gotta blame the ref for this.

And there is no absolving Ortiz of his dirtiness just because his headbutt barely connected. the intent was there and it was clearly illegal, and if he connected and cut mayweather open, he would of been an easy target for a k.o. the rest of the match.
I think everybody agrees with the bolded....

snack said:
70 dollars for five seconds of action. Yes!
Your money would have been more wisely invested in a 001 Math course if such a thing exist. You grasp of time and numbers seems tenuous at best.

No matter how you cut it, it was legal. I don't understand how Ortiz is getting no shit for his head butt. That looked like Balrog circa SSF4. I can't think of a more blatant headbutt ( especially considering he is actually taller!), and then trying to kiss and makeup 5 times and denying it was intentional post fight? C'mon, son.

Esch

Banned
Zep said:
And if he didn't throw the punches, I highly fucking doubt you'd acknowledge him not doing it and being a "sportsman"...So please, get off your fucking highhorse.
Fuck do you know about me? If they had cleaned it up and gotten back to the game i would have given both of them credit. As for Floyd. I bet on him to win and the under so don't act like I'm not a fan or a hater. Sit down.
theviolenthero said:
Boxing is a WHOLE different sport though. Being hated is actually really good thing.
Internet is going nuts right now with all the Manny fans talking shit.
Yep. His PPV buys the next time around will be pretty great.
AndyMoogle said:
He is a terrible ref, but if Ortiz had any killer instinct whatsoever he would have started fighting again instead of trying to hug and kiss. He could at least have put up his hands after that first punch.
He absolutely should have been on guard. You are correct.

Striker

Higgy said:
Love how this shit gets twisted into race. Wife Hispanic. Voted for Obama. But in today's society you can't say shit/truth without it getting twisted. Mayweather is a straight up thug ass criminal woman beater bully ass bitch.
I agree with you about people being too sensitive.

But as far as the KO, complete joke. I would have been pissed to pay money for this.

JABEE

Ninja Scooter said:
Because nobody cares. Nobody is inviting Floyd over for dinner or introducing them to their daughter. If you ever followed sports (especially boxing) at any point in history you probably rooted for someone who is one of the things you just described. It's nothing new and certainly not exclusive to "today's society" so get the fuck over it already.
It's definitely not new to boxing either. Hasn't he seen Raging Bull?

Straightballin said:
8.gif

The gif really says it all, Floyd went for the cheapest of cheap shots. Ortiz's hands were all the way down to the ground and Floyd not only threw one but two punches. It also seemed like he was going with the apology and making up then out of no where throws the two punches. He deserves to be blasted by the media, and I wont consider it "hating on him".

And the reason he was "going with the apology" was because he just tried to take Floyd's head off 5 seconds earlier with a jumping headbutt. Fuck'em.

dream

Straightballin said:
8.gif

and I am not a Floyd hater, I didn't care much about this fight. I'm just waiting for the Floyd pacquio fight if it ever happens.

Why were Ortiz's hands so low when PBF put his guard up ready to fight?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I didn't care about boxing until I saw Pacquiao fight. It was the fight against Margarito. Loved it, and Pacquiao is a really fun character to see in boxing. Margarito was a dirty cheater who insulted people with Parkinson's disease. Loved that fight. Good guy VS idiot.

That's why I want to see him fight Floyd. Not sure who would win, but it would be a good fight. Good guy VS Bad guy. Like a movie.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I didn't care about boxing until I saw Pacquiao fight. It was the fight against Margarito. Loved it, and Pacquiao is a really fun character to see in boxing. Margarito was a dirty cheater who insulted people with Parkinson's disease. Loved that fight. Good guy VS idiot.

That's why I want to see him fight Floyd. Not sure who would win, but it would be a good fight. Good guy VS Bad guy. Like a movie.

I read paquiao is a son of a bitch in his private life. Don't know about him being a good guy.

LQX

I wonder if it was the reverse anyone would feel anything for Mayweather. I think many would still see it as cheap but I'm sure there would be no sympathy especially from Larry Merchant.

Baby Milo

RukusProvider said:
Fair play. I watched the full fight twice and watched the 4th round at 1/2 speed.

A few things to note:

Ortiz's was hell bent on using his head throughout the fight. He was fighting similar to how Holyfield fought Tyson leading with his head and whipping it around at close range.

It worked for Holyfield because Tyson liked to lean in. Floyd pulls/lean back.

Floyd was HEAVILY taunting Ortiz throughout the fight. Ortiz's frustration eventually got the best of him.

Floyd had a similar incident with Gatti in the past but Gatti took the punch better.

I was very surprised that Victor couldn't get back up.

Ortiz got off lightly. He was going to take a severe beating had the fight carried on.
good post

floyd was starting to dig in

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WrikaWrek said:
I read paquiao is a son of a bitch in his private life. Don't know about him being a good guy.

Says who?

BTW it is clear in that gif Ortiz wasn't sure the fight was really restarted, he looks straight at the ref after the first hit.

JABEE

From the gif that's being posted this entire controversy can be chalked up to poor officiating. Also, why was Ortiz hugging him? He then didn't defend himself? Isn't he supposed to be a professional boxer?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Says who?

BTW it is clear in that gif Ortiz wasn't sure the fight was really restarted, he looks straight at the ref after the first hit.

It was an article...I didn't dream about it.

LQX said:
I wonder if it was the reverse anyone would feel anything for Mayweather. I think many would still see it as cheap but I'm sure there would be no sympathy especially from Larry Merchant.

Nope, it is a big deal because it is PBF. If it was Pac-Man everyone would be stumbling over themselves to point out that it was legal.

Carlbeego

Why would you pay 70 bucks to see a fighter fight someone you know he's going to beat? I don't understand that.

You're better off watching fighters like Gamboa and Donaire destroy people for free.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
WrikaWrek said:
Yeah, seems legal.

It seems legal? Perhaps technically it is, but don't you the the ref not even looking and taking 1 second to realize whats going on and then start counting?

It's a mirror image where the ref is looking the other way, talking to judges or someone, while someone runs from backstage with a chair, go's in the ring, swings it at a wrestler from behind and runs back to the backstage. At that point the ref to his surpise finds the wrestler on the ground and stars counting to 3 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD15cR4ke4w

Ether_Snake said:
Says who?

I've never boxed. Even I would have put my hands up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom