• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been reading Jack Dempsey's book on boxing. Archives of it are available here.

http://stickgrappler2.tripod.com/kbox/dempsey.html

The sections I've been spending most time on is the falling step section and the exploding and releasing section.

http://stickgrappler2.tripod.com/kbox/dempsey8.html

http://stickgrappler2.tripod.com/kbox/dempsey10.html

What I am concentrating on is when Dempsey explains the difference between the "modern" jab and the "classic" jab.

"In addition, use of the falling step practically guarantees your developing a solid left jolt. You have no such guarantees if you try to develop a good straight left from the medium-range shoulder whirl - the method by which most current fighters put body-weight into motion for all straight punches. I'll explain later why straight punches that are powered only by the shoulder-whirl cannot have effective follow-through. Right now let me merely point out that when a fellow stands in normal punching position, with weight forward and his left shoulder slightly forward to protect his chin, he can get very little shoulder whirl into a left jolt - unless he draws back his left shoulder. Such a move would be a cardinal sin."

"I use the expression "left jolt" instead of "left jab" because i don't want you to confuse the type ofstraight left you will throw, with the futile straight left or "jab" used by most current amateur and professional boxers. Most of them couldn't knock you hat off with their left jabs. With their lefts, the tap, they slap, they flick, they paw, they "paint". Their jabs are used more to confuse than to stun. Their jabs are used as shuttering defensive flags to prevent their poorly instructed opponents from "getting set to punch". A good fighter doesn't have to "get set" He's always ready to punch. Some of them use their jabs merely to make an opening for their rights. And that's dangerously silly, for the proper brand of feinting would accomplish the same purpose. With but a few exceptions, they "do not use the left jab as a smashing jolt that can be an explosive weapon by itself" - that can knock you down or knock you out"

"Concerning that defensive hokum, let me say this: Any time you extend your left fist either for a tap or for an all-out punch, you're taking a gamble on being nailed with a counter punch. And the sap who uses "light stuff" - tapping, flicking, etc, - has his left hand extended much more often than the explosive left-jolter, who doesn't waste punches - doesn't shoot until he has feinted or forced his opponent into an opening. It's true that you can "recover" your balance more quickly after missing a tap than after missing a hard punch. But it's also true that an opponent who is defending only against taps and slaps will be much more alret to counter than an opponent who is being "bombed"

"My advice to all beginners is this: Use a light jab only in one instance - in the so-called one two punch - when your left fist strikes the opponent's forehead to tip his head back, so that your immediately following straight right can nail him one the chin.

I find this very interesting. Before I go on, Dempsey gives a very long description on what exactly the falling step is. Check that section if you are unsure. I've had two different boxing coaches. One taught olympic style boxing, and had me doing the more flicking style jab. It was used as a setup, to feel out and/or confuse an opponent. His style of boxing was very quick, with many combinations and quick on your toes movement. In retrospect, it lacked power.

My other coach, my internals teacher spent 8 years boxing at Gleasons gym. He taught me something very similar to Dempsey's jolt, except he called it a power jab. He referred to the other style of the jab as "the lousy jab". He had something similar to the falling step, except he called it "pushing angle step". The main difference is you didn't stomp the floor when you landed foward like in the falling step.

When I would do the falling step with my Olympic style coach, he would constantly want me to put my weight verticle instead of foward. When I did the modern jab with my internals coach, he's scold me for throwing ineffective punches. He did throw the modern jab here and there, but for the most part is was exactly what Dempsey was talking about, power hitting with an emphasis on closing the distance.

Anyhow, I find these two ways of doing the jab very interesting. For a long time I've struggeled with exactly what a jab is. Is it a straight power punch? A chain like flicking punch? Now, I'm getting a clearer idea of exactly what a jab is. I have to say, I prefer the classic style of jabbing.

For someone my height (5/9), I will ussually fight a taller person. To backtrack or stay stationary while jabbing is largely ineffective in my experience, because the opponent will have a longer reach. At the same time, just bull dogging in and expecting my power jab to carry my through can result in terrible beating from being stiff armed and jabbed.

So, which method is best? I don't know, but I like the classic method more. I think the secret of it lies in the legs. If I get a good pushing angle/falling step, I think my chances for success are greater then using the flicking type motion. It seems to me the mechanic's of the punhing arm are more or less insignifigant compared to the step. I can throw out a whipping type hit, or a straight arm. Its the step that will give me the power shot.

I also think that the classic method is more effective for real fighting, as it facilitates gaining a clinch fairly easily. I'm not exactly sure how close the classic jab is to what the bare knuckle fighters did, but many of their contests involved standing grappling/"dirty boxing". I think there was a better style of clinch work in olden style boxing with fibbing and whatnot, compared to todays style of waiting for the ref to seperate. Frankly, I think the clinch is where a smaller man will find the way to beat a bigger man.

Anyhow, these are my ramblings on boxing. I may update regardless of replies. Thanks for reading.

Takuan

I read the falling step section. It sounded pretty cool, but difficult to pull off mainly because of your body's natural tendencies to maintain balance. I enjoy watching boxing a lot, especially after Hajime No Ippo. Shadow boxing is great cardio, even if you're doing it "wrong".

The way I learned the pushing angle step is to use the back leg for more of a push off (hence the name) then just falling when you pick up your front foot like in the falling step. Both ways seem similar though. I hadn't noticed a problem with keeping balance. The main problem that comes up is the no peliminary movement. Your body wants to shift the weight instead of going from the foward stance. Its tricky. The way I was taught was to imagine usin the same pushing power off the back leg like you do when you want to push a car. The two ways of steping have their differences, but they seem similar enough to me.

I've never seen Ippo. He has the Dempsey role though, eh? :)

Takuan

He does, but it's exagerrated (I think) and the anime in general is pretty unrealistic. Still, it makes for great entertainment.

way more

That falling step sounds like what Bruce Lee taught. And Dempsey knocked a guy out in a bar fight in my town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom