• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How effective is boxing for self-defense?

Which martial art is best to learn?

• Boxing

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Judo

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Jiu-Jitsu

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Karate

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Kickboxing

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Drunken Boxing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MMA

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Krav Maga

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Aikido

• Capoiera

• Tae Kwon Do

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Kung Fu

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

T8SC

images

Depends who you're facing.

Gp1

As someone who already did some time of judo, boxing and the basics of BJJ.

I would never ever employ BJJ primarily in a street fight unless in extreme emergency and you fucked up every other gameplan. The chances of someone coming from behind and striking you while you're on the ground is immense.

I would go with boxe/Muay Thai and a grappling art like judo. Boxe to maintain distance and judo when there's no distance.

People tends to really underestimate the power of being throw head/back first on the hard ground, and in these cases is more important to be up and able to run than to be tangled in a dark alley with someone that maybe hiding a gun.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Theres no such thing as knife defense. You run or you shoot your gun. People watched too many Seagal movies. NEVER try to fight someone with a knife.

Man, I saw a clip on twitter the other day of a marine beating up some bum on the ground, and the guy pulled a little knife and sliced an absurdly deep cut in the marines thigh. Nasty work.

lachesis

Gold Member
I think boxing would be ideal for quickly buckling your opponent's knee and make time to run away. I would go something else if you are trying to knock out someone to the ground for good... but unless you are in 1-on-1 situation, boxing + some sort of break free when held type of skills would suffice.

Man, I saw a clip on twitter the other day of a marine beating up some bum on the ground, and the guy pulled a little knife and sliced an absurdly deep cut in the marines thigh. Nasty work.
One of the reasons I mentioned in my post you absolutely do not want to be on the ground is a similar situation; was standing maybe 10 meters away from this, but few years back saw a couple guys getting in an altercation and they started throwing hands, one of them got the upper hand and took the other to the ground and started pounding on him, looking like an easy victory, then the other dude reached in his pocket and punched the other guy like 5 times really quickly. Except he wasn't punching, he pulled out some kind of push knife and was gutting the dude rapidly.
Then the guy stood up and started bleeding heavily before collapsing. I was on the move when the whole thing went down, took less than 30 seconds total I think, the next day I saw some flowers and pictures at the spot, so the guy wound up dying.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
One of the reasons I mentioned in my post you absolutely do not want to be on the ground is a similar situation; was standing maybe 10 meters away from this, but few years back saw a couple guys getting in an altercation and they started throwing hands, one of them got the upper hand and took the other to the ground and started pounding on him, looking like an easy victory, then the other dude reached in his pocket and punched the other guy like 5 times really quickly. Except he wasn't punching, he pulled out some kind of push knife and was gutting the dude rapidly.
Then the guy stood up and started bleeding heavily before collapsing. I was on the move when the whole thing went down, took less than 30 seconds total I think, the next day I saw some flowers and pictures at the spot, so the guy wound up dying.
That's why you run away or punch the guy and run away. I don't know what is going with these guys and their MMA fantasies about rolling around on the ground with some sweaty dude in underwear.

No need for fancy stuff, all you need is 1 good punch to the face or hook to kidney/abdominal area to get him winded. Boxing also makes you learn to take hits (to the face) and not get fazed, which is equally important I feel. So yeah, boxing.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I can only comment on what I know.

From the age of 18, I practiced Jeet Kune Do, which is a hybrid marital art conceived by Bruce Lee. I can say hand on heart it is very effective at self defense, but I don't think it's the most effective. I also did a bit of boxing as a youth and I think that's better for self defense.

In a street fight you want to try and run first, but if that's not an option you need to take out your attacker quickly. Something flashy like TKD is useless in a street fight. Try doing a roundhouse kick in a street fight and you'll lose.

in that regard, boxing is the best bet here as a good single punch to the right part of the face and it's goodnight to your attacker. MMA, Jujutsu have their advantages, but only against one person. If you're attacked by a number of people there is little point going for a ground and pound. Boxing allows you to take out attackers quickly and efficiently.

Boxing gets my vote.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
I can only comment on what I know.

From the age of 18, I practiced Jeet Kune Do, which is a hybrid marital art conceived by Bruce Lee. I can say hand on heart it is very effective at self defense, but I don't think it's the most effective. I also did a bit of boxing as a youth and I think that's better for self defense.

In a street fight you want to try and run first, but if that's not an option you need to take out your attacker quickly. Something flashy like TKD is useless in a street fight. Try doing a roundhouse kick in a street fight and you'll lose.

in that regard, boxing is the best bet here as a good single punch to the right part of the face and it's goodnight to your attacker. MMA, Jujutsu have their advantages, but only against one person. If you're attacked by a number of people there is little point going for a ground and pound. Boxing allows you to take out attackers quickly and efficiently.

Boxing gets my vote.
good weight lifters body with boxing skill is what I think is deadliest

DavidGzz

It's usually not a fair fight so I'd put boxing/kickboxing above grappling. Grappling is great in a fair fight.

Winter John

Boxing? Nah. Boxing ain't much use. What you want is a dildo. Some bad guy comes at ya just whip that big meaty bastard out while you stare them in the eyes. Show dominance. Street rules. Make them fear you.

Guys, when I was in my early 20's I got jumped by multiple dudes. I knew how to box (trained) and they still fucked me up. You can't defend against people you don't know are fighting.

Do harbor any delusions. If it's 2+ on one get out if you can.

Last edited:
Listen if it is guaranteed 1 on 1 sure take them to the ground and beat on him..

This dude talked about street fights. Either be extraordinary with your hands out and get some shots in and make them remember the fight.

But remember while you got that choke his boys will pummel you.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

This is what I was trying to say when I was talking about moving backwards... I meant to say "stay in constant motion"... When you're defending (not fighting) against at least 2 people (and there's no where to escape to), you keep moving! Backwards, forwards, side to side ... Don't let ANY of them catch you or put hands on you! Your constant motion will get them to trip up (make sure your footing and footwork are SURE) and they WILL make mistakes! If one falls, you are now at an advantage but be quick about it.

You HAVE to have good to great speed in your body. Quick reflexes!

You only get this by working out and training for realism. West Texas CEO West Texas CEO ... If you're serious about self defense, you can't half ass it. Me, J jason10mm and others have given you some good advice... Take it to heart.

Cyberpunkd

I think learning a proper leg kick is much more useful than boxe, one of those and 99% of the joes are gonna cry in pain or they are gonna be unable to stand, and kicks have better range than any punch.
This, correct step on the side and you are going to fuck someone seriously up with your kick. Then you can pummel them.

Durien

Gold Member
Long story short -- I work in some dangerous areas. 3x in the past 5 years I've been assaulted.
The first two times I came out on top. Last go around, it was a 2 on 1 situation. Jumped from behind with a chokehold. I broke the hold, and kept my belongings, , but ended up with an injury that inevitably required surgery. At age 25, I don't believe I've lost much of a step, but I clearly project as a weaker target due to my skinny-fat body build. I have no formal defense training, and have gotten by with what I picked up over the years in various other fights.

So, I dunno, I'm thinking starting with some basic boxing classes would be a good start. 🤔

Should I enroll in some other sort of martial arts defense training? I think some real training or technique could be of use, at least in a situation where no weapon is present. I'm unable to arm myself when I'm away, the only weapon I have is a tactical flashlight.

Curious if anyone has input.
Muy Thai. It did it and taught it. Bjj is great if you want to grapple around on the ground in possible broken glass and such. A round kick to the side of the thigh with a shin will quickly remove an attacker will to fight. You can use a fist or an elbow and the core work out you will shock you. The best shape of my life was when I was teaching.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All I know is when I got into lots of fist fights in school (I guess a lot of kids didn't like my witty remarks at them. lol), I'd just grab their collar, and punch them in the head as many times as I could. Won probably 15+ fights, lost 3. And 2 of the 3 losses were against older grade kids. Lesson learned, never fight a guy 1-2 years older than you in grade school. It's like night and day difference. lol

But in this thread talking fighting between adults, I'd say pick a style that best defends against a guy with a weapon. Fist fights who really cares as it'd take a lot to actually kill you. And doubtful anyone would have the time or effort to punch and strangle you to death. But all it takes is someone grabbing a knife off a table at a bar and then what, if youre trapped and got to face him man to man?

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Good boxing can end shit very quick. I'm actually learning right now and working out. The reasons, tho... not very good. Just know I am going back to supplements, cutting drinking even deeper (if i go anymore, I will have quit) and eating more. I fasted for the better part of a year+ and it's starting to become a detriment. So, now I'm upping my food intake by 2 fold, basically 3 times a day, with sometimes snacking(I like snacking on nuts, like walnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios) Keep away from sugars, as much as possible. Plenty of mid-high PH water.

Kombucha, Probiotics in general, leafy greens and good meats. I need to build muscle mass. Vitamins and great foods. I'm a little out of it, right now, however... I worked out, went to the store and im feeling shaky.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good boxing can end shit very quick. I'm actually learning right now and working out. The reasons, tho... not very good. Just know I am going back to supplements, cutting drinking even deeper (if i go anymore, I will have quit) and eating more. I fasted for the better part of a year+ and it's starting to become a detriment. So, now I'm upping my food intake by 2 fold, basically 3 times a day, with sometimes snacking(I like snacking on nuts, like walnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios) Keep away from sugars, as much as possible. Plenty of mid-high PH water.

Kombucha, Probiotics in general, leafy greens and good meats. I need to build muscle mass. Vitamins and great foods. I'm a little out of it, right now, however... I worked out, went to the store and im feeling shaky.
Just do what i do to gain weight. Woke up from a nap a couple hours ago, just made two cheeseburgers while I surf the net and watch sports highlights. lol I'll go back to bed in an hour.

Doczu

A combination of boxing and some grappling.

I feel like i'm repeating what others say but a good 1-2 ends like 90% of the fights. You even don't need to KO and opponent, the moment they feel you ain't just a walking punching bag they loose the bravado.

Boxing learns you to move, take punches and anticipate what the enemy wants to do. And that is even more important than punching alone.
It may sound like some bullshit anime/movie, but once it clicks and you "see" what your opponent wants to do you have won.

Boxing is also quite easy to learn and in a good gym they won't let you spar or pair you with someone way above your level untill you got some trainings behind you. Yes, taking punches is also part of the training, but being overwhelmed by an opponent that takes it way too seriously will just make you feel jaded and useless.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A combination of boxing and some grappling.

I feel like i'm repeating what others say but a good 1-2 ends like 90% of the fights. You even don't need to KO and opponent, the moment they feel you ain't just a walking punching bag they loose the bravado.

Boxing learns you to move, take punches and anticipate what the enemy wants to do. And that is even more important than punching alone.
It may sound like some bullshit anime/movie, but once it clicks and you "see" what your opponent wants to do you have won.

Boxing is also quite easy to learn and in a good gym they won't let you spar or pair you with someone way above your level untill you got some trainings behind you. Yes, taking punches is also part of the training, but being overwhelmed by an opponent that takes it way too seriously will just make you feel jaded and useless.
I'm no fighting pro, but what you, dirk and maybe if anyone else mentioned it, I'd assume if someone is decently fit and can throw some punches like a boxing pro that's probably good enough for the most part.

We're talking everyday people, not expert fighting pros who will jump you. Then again, I guess if someone is worried their attacker is a seasoned fighting vet then perhaps you had to be trained expert too. But for the most part, some decent head shots will probably end it.

I'd say the biggest threat is an attacker guy getting pissed grabbing a knife, or you run into a drunk psycho dude who go ape shit with 999 hit points.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
good weight lifters body with boxing skill is what I think is deadliest

It should be, especially strong core and shoulder muscles.

But then you look at somebody like Tyson Fury who has the body of a slob, but would knock out most people with a single punch.

Artoris

Gold Member
It should be, especially strong core and shoulder muscles.

But then you look at somebody like Tyson Fury who has the body of a slob, but would knock out most people with a single punch.
he knows how to use his body weight behind a punch and I don't think bodybuilders body is necessary

jason10mm

Gold Member
I remmeber when I was deep into TKD and our instructor incorporated aikido. We spent MONTHLY learning wrist locks and those circling arm bar submission things, straight from a Steven Seagal film. Works GREAT when your partner is compliant with going with the motions.

Then I tried it on a friend of mine about 5 inches taller and 40 pounds of muscle heavier, he refused to 'allow me' to twist his wrist, suddenly aikido didn't work so well :p Obviously if I was stronger than him I could force it, but that was a startling reminder that in the end its size, strength, and speed that really matters, better get as much of that stuff as you can because technique is a distant fourth place outside a rules bound tournament.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
GymWolf GymWolf since you have a hate boner for boxing and want to turn this into a boxing vs MMA thread. A boxer has some chance in the octagon against an MMA fighter an MMA fighter has very little chance against a boxer in a ring.

GymWolf

Gold Member
GymWolf GymWolf since you have a hate boner for boxing and want to turn this into a boxing vs MMA thread. A boxer has some chance in the octagon against an MMA fighter an MMA fighter has very little chance against a boxer in a ring.
I don't hate boxe and that wasn't my intention, but the bolded is false and you know it.

Boxers aren't trained to contrast any type of kicks or grappling and mma are somehow trained in boxing, this is why ex mma fighters try boxe matches but no pure boxers ever try mma, they only say they would do it for clout, but they never actually do because they know the reality.
Don't get tricked by jake paul beating ex mma fighter that are super old or super undersized (or pure grapplers with zero striking), the dude just know how to pick his fights, everyone with a brain knows that.

But recently, when size and age was similar, you can see old ass silva and shitty perry beating actual boxers with decent records, it never happen that pure boxers beat an mma fighter in an mma match, because they don't even try for obvious reasons.

All the mma fighters that come from boxes also train in kickboxing, grappling and bjj before trying mma, they don't just enter as pure boxer because they know they would get mauled (their words during interviews)

Even a more complete fighter and super muai thai champion like rodthang got dismantled by demetrious johnson when he used his grappling.

But you can think what you want dude, just know that i don't hate boxe, i just prefer mma.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't hate boxe and that wasn't my intention, but the bolded is false and you know it.

Boxers aren't trained to contrast any type of kicks or grappling and mma are somehow trained in boxing, this is why ex mma fighters try boxe matches but no pure boxers ever try mma, they only say they would do it for clout, but they never actually do because they know the reality.
Don't get tricked by jake paul beating ex mma fighter that are super old or super undersized (or pure grapplers with zero striking), the dude just know how to pick his fights, everyone with a brain knows that.

But recently, when size and age was similar, you can see old ass silva and shitty perry beating actual boxers, it never happen that pure boxers beat an mma fighter in an mma match, because they don't even try for obvious reasons.

All the mma fighters that come from boxes also trained in kickboxing, grappling and bjj before trying mma, they don't just enter as pure boxer because they know they would get mauled (their words during interviews)

Even a more complete fighter and super muai thai champion like rodthang got dismantled by demetrious johnson when he used his grappling.

But you can think what you want dude, just know that i don't hate boxe, i just prefer mma.
Boxers can make hundreds of millions of dollars for championship bouts and it's a more prestigious sport Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Manny Pacquiao, Julio Cesar Chavez are sports legends no one outside of MMA fans can name an MMA fighter. Why would a boxer downgrade to MMA?

Embearded

I have a few friends who are into MA. One thing their teachers had in common is that they all adviced to hand over your money if the attacker has a knife or syringe in hand.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Boxers can make hundreds of millions of dollars for championship bouts and it's a more prestigious sport Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Manny Pacquiao, Julio Cesar Chavez are sports legends no one outside of MMA fans can name an MMA fighter. Why would a boxer downgrade to MMA?
I was more talking about those exibition matches they love to do, these crossovers like ngannou fighting famous boxers or perry and silva trying boxing, not a complete change of careeer.

You never see boxers do that, even if the paycheck is good.

And it's not like MANY of them haven't yapped about doing it inside podcast and shit, fury has said that he wanted to try mma countless of times, i follow mma so i heard every little bit of news about boxers talking about trying mma, but never a single match get made, it's always mma fighters trying a boxe match, with mixed results.

A couple of low kicks (that a boxe can't defend for shit) or a takedown and the boxer is useless in an mma match, and it's not like mma fighters can't take a 1-2 like the average joe, these people get hit by knees to the face, elbow to the face, high kick to the face, etc. etc.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I was more talking about those exibition matches they love to do, these crossovers like ngannou fighting famous boxers or perry and silva trying boxing, not a complete change of careeer.

You never see boxers do that, even if the paycheck is good.

And it's not like MANY of them haven't yapped about doing it inside podcast and shit, fury has said that he wanted to try mma countless of times, i follow mma so i heard every little bit of news about boxers talking about trying mma, but never a single match get made, it's always mma fighters trying a boxe match, with mixed results.

A couple of low kicks (that a boxe can't defend for shit) or a takedown and the boxer is useless in an mma match, and it's not like mma fighters can't take a 1-2 like the average joe, these people get hit by knees to the face, elbow to the face, high kick to the face, etc. etc.

We should consider some XIX century boxing.
No gloves. Wrestling and grappling is allowed. And so is eye gouging.

GymWolf

Gold Member
We should consider some XIX century boxing.
No gloves. Wrestling and grappling is allowed. And so is eye gouging.
But here we are talking about mma vs boxe, and if a boxer train into grappling etc. it's not a pure boxer anymore.

A pure boxer just doesn't train to defend a lot of shit and mma fighters are used to get hit by strikes stronger than a boxer is even allowed to throw, a spinning kick is way more powerful than any punch.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
But here we are talking about mma vs boxe, and if a boxer train into grappling etc. it's not a pure boxer anymore.

It's a pure XIX century boxing. Which was a more realistic fighting style and more effective in the streets, than modern day boxing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's a pure XIX century boxing. Which was a more realistic fighting style and more effective in the streets, than modern day boxing.
Still a different thing than what we were talking about, that's not a pure boxer anymore so of course my opinion would change, it's another fucking sport :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Now sorry but i have to eat my dinner, we can continue later.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You think an MMA fighter is going get though a boxers defense and avoid getting knocked out by a counterpunch? If you really think an MMA fighter has better chance in the ring than a boxer in the octagon. I don't know what to tell you.
A boxer has a chance while he is still on his feet in the octagon an MMA fighter has very little chance in the same situation in a ring.

Top Bottom