• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How effective is boxing for self-defense?

Which martial art is best to learn?

• Boxing

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Judo

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Jiu-Jitsu

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Karate

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Kickboxing

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Drunken Boxing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MMA

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Krav Maga

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Aikido

• Capoiera

• Tae Kwon Do

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Kung Fu

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
Don't know how many of the GAFers in here actually know how to fight. As someone who does boxing, you certaintly don't go wrong picking it up. There is some debate as to wheather boxing or one of the other combat sports (muay thai, mma, kickboxing) is best suited for street type situations. Needless to say, running away and/or calling the police is always the best option if you have it, but if you're forced to protect yourself (and no weapons are involved), you have to consider typical setups of such encounters. To many something like MMA sounds like the obvious choice because of the broad spectrum of techniques (striking, kicking, grappling). However, depending on where you hang out, you don't want to go down to the ground to grapple or don't have the right space to do kicks. Boxing is highly efficient and works better in more confined spaces. I'd recommend boxing. Once you're good at it, you can consider adding more to it (kickboxing, mma).

In real life conflict, I believe that boxing can be quite effective. One punch right on the face and it is GG. The other martial arts are flashier but I’m skeptical they would work in a street env.

dave_d

The thing I always wonder with BJJ is if you pull guard on the street because you "somehow" know your attacker has no buddies with him, how well does it work if the guy just grabs a near by rock (which is easier to see when on top) and strike you repeatedly in the head with it. Anyway just run away if you can.

th4tguy

Whatever keeps you in shape and your senses sharp is going to help. All of this self defense stuff doesn’t mean shit of someone surprises you with a weapon or gangs up on you. You are better off working somewhere else and letting your employer know why. At some point you are going to beat up on the wrong guy and he’s going to come back with a real intent to put you down.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Also in terms of self defense OP like many here have said any type of training is better than nothing for open handed skills but another option is a less than lethal weapon like a Byrna gun

These can shoot a number of different type of projectiles, uses CO2 cartridges, legal in all States and you don't need any permit

Have seen one in action and would not want to get hit by it especially if you would fire a pepper ball from it

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
In real life conflict, I believe that boxing can be quite effective. One punch right on the face and it is GG. The other martial arts are flashier but I’m skeptical they would work in a street env.
When I was young, dumb & full of come I participated in 3 barfights (My record is 2-1).

All 3 fights lasted less than 5 seconds 😆

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I didn't mention this before but in lieu of a gun whose only outcome is death, I'd suggest getting a collapsible baton (or two) or a fighting knife.

These two weapons are great tools for self defense, especially if you're outnumbered and can't escape. Learn the hand to hand skills and SUPPLEMENT them with weapons training in both... Batons if the attacker has a knife... Knives if it's multiple unarmed people.

With those weapons, you can choose to accurately maim and not kill. With guns, you're only going to kill.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I didn't mention this before but in lieu of a gun whose only outcome is death, I'd suggest getting a collapsible baton (or two) or a fighting knife.

These two weapons are great tools for self defense, especially if you're outnumbered and can't escape. Learn the hand to hand skills and SUPPLEMENT them with weapons training in both... Batons if the attacker has a knife... Knives if it's multiple unarmed people.

With those weapons, you can choose to accurately maim and not kill. With guns, you're only going to kill.
What about pepper spray?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What about pepper spray?
The bad thing about only having pepper spray is a certain % of people it has no effect on

My ex brother in law was a Captain at a local prison who was in charge of training correction officers in how to defend themselves and part of that training was taking a hit of pepper spray if you wanted to qualify to carry it inside the facility

He said about every other class they would have one person that it wouldn't phase.

Said they would get a snotty nose and maybe some eye irritation but not enough to slow an attack, might even just piss them off.

JohnnyPhats

A have a few 1911s I rotate open carrying. But this cheap government Tisas has become a favorite. Daily concealed carry is an Sig p365. Carried a Glock 26 for years so this thing just disappears.

dave_d

Last I checked knives are considered deadly weapons by the law. So you'd better be in fear of your life or severe bodily harm before you use one. (But multiple assailants might qualify but I'm no lawyer.)

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Last I checked knives are considered deadly weapons by the law. So you'd better be in fear of your life or severe bodily harm before you use one. (But multiple assailants might qualify but I'm no lawyer.)

The good thing about knives, especially fighting knives, is they come in a variety of lengths and sizes and you can control where you cut or stab, even on a moving target.

I think certain lengths are when you have to have your knives registered if you carry them with you.

dave_d

The good thing about knives, especially fighting knives, is they come in a variety of lengths and sizes and you can control where you cut or stab, even on a moving target.

I think certain lengths are when you have to have your knives registered if you carry them with you.
That is true. And of course another important rule, when the cops show up don't go after anyone with a knife. (The cops go bang-bang if you do that.)

MagusMajul

i always carry a .44 magnum, a dagger, and pepper spray on me. I don't believe in fist fighting. If it can down to it i would grapple someones knee and flip them on their back and then stop on their legs or kick them in their head.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wing Chun is good for close attacks and disarming, taking control of the fight.
But it's design to end the encounter rather then escalate it
Although some thing are actually banned in MMA.
But it does really depends on you.

MagusMajul

Wing Chun is good for close attacks and disarming, taking control of the fight.
But it's design to end the encounter rather then escalate it
Although some thing are actually banned in MMA.
But it does really depends on you.
why not just rub your stinky fingers or socks under the attackers nose?

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

Raven117

The thing I always wonder with BJJ is if you pull guard on the street because you "somehow" know your attacker has no buddies with him, how well does it work if the guy just grabs a near by rock (which is easier to see when on top) and strike you repeatedly in the head with it. Anyway just run away if you can.
The truth of the matter is that no one has any idea. There are a zillion variables in a street fight. It certainly can help having been trained in "fighting" as to have SOME idea of what to do, how to move, what it feels like to be in a fight, but ultimately, alot of it is just luck.

And, quite frankly, alot can be said for training how to deescalate a situation with words, actions, how to read a room and situations, and keeping your ego in check.
Yes, sometimes its unavoidable. More often than not, its avoidable.

Trelane

How To Travel Distance Using the Cardboard Box In Fortnite - GAME ENGAGE

Crayon

Boxing is probably the most technologically advanced technique. A decent boxer can fuck someone up because they learn all sorts of nasty angles to hit from, how to control space, ancillary things like that. It's also easy enough to find live sparring. It's really hard to find that for a lot of those ma's you listed.

chakadave

Neo Member
Always best to just avoid any type of fight. consequences are too great. Best thing to just not get in a fight. Never know when someone has a knife or gun.

Evade and escape. Pepper spray might be the best non lethal deterent.

i always carry a .44 magnum, a dagger, and pepper spray on me. I don't believe in fist fighting. If it can down to it i would grapple someones knee and flip them on their back and then stop on their legs or kick them in their head.
Why a .44 you in bear country?

Last edited:

Brigandier

Long story short -- I work in some dangerous areas. 3x in the past 5 years I've been assaulted.
The first two times I came out on top. Last go around, it was a 2 on 1 situation. Jumped from behind with a chokehold. I broke the hold, and kept my belongings, , but ended up with an injury that inevitably required surgery. At age 25, I don't believe I've lost much of a step, but I clearly project as a weaker target due to my skinny-fat body build. I have no formal defense training, and have gotten by with what I picked up over the years in various other fights.

So, I dunno, I'm thinking starting with some basic boxing classes would be a good start. 🤔

Should I enroll in some other sort of martial arts defense training? I think some real training or technique could be of use, at least in a situation where no weapon is present. I'm unable to arm myself when I'm away, the only weapon I have is a tactical flashlight.

Curious if anyone has input.

I've trained Muay Thai and Kickboxing since 2002, All fights start on the feet and the VAST majority of punks who start shit haven't got a clue how to grapple properly and they are extremely unlikely to be taking you down and putting you in a armbar or triangle lol, They will be throwing sloppy but relentless attacks at you and trying to grab you and tackle you down.

I highly recommend Kickboxing and MMA training, Best of both worlds learn to box competently whilst having close range weapons in your elbows and knees and obviously also learning how to kick.

MMA training so you know how to stop being taken down or how to get up and being able to choke some fool out or if need be break someone's orbital/jaw neck arm etc you get my point.

Anyone saying BJJ or any form or art that's ground only is either biassed or not seeing the bigger picture, If you're a great grappler who can't strike for shit and you go to the floor (concrete is very hard, the streets ain't the mats) and you're 2 on 1 or more you're going to get your fucking head caved in guaranteed.

Truth is it doesn't matter how good or how tough you are in the real world alsorts can happen in a fight, lots of people are armed and won't hesitate to stab or shoot you for your wallet these days, Is it worth your life? Training with the intent to fuck some dudes up on the streets isn't very realistic you're just gonna get shot.

Last edited:

Locutus

You’ve been assaulted without provocation three times in the recent past, one of which resulted in surgery, and you are asking if you should learn to box? This question is so insanely stupid I’m having a hard time believing it’s real. But just in case…no, fucking boxing isn’t what you need.

You should be carrying a weapon. At least one of those collapsible batons, or a knife or pepper spray depending on where you live. Putting up your dukes like a 1940’s boxer is only going to result in you getting your ass beat…or killed.

More importantly, it’s time to find a new job. Whatever your are doing, it’s not worth your life.

MagusMajul

Always best to just avoid any type of fight. consequences are too great. Best thing to just not get in a fight. Never know when someone has a knife or gun.

Evade and escape. Pepper spray might be the best non lethal deterent.

Why a .44 you in bear country?
I keep it loaded with .38 low velocity rounds so the kick back is not much more than a 9mm, plus i am a pretty fat man who wears a fanny pack or man purse so it's not that hard to lug around.

chakadave

Neo Member
I keep it loaded with .38 low velocity rounds so the kick back is not much more than a 9mm, plus i am a pretty fat man who wears a fanny pack or man purse so it's not that hard to lug around.
ahh yeah gotcha. I’m still figuring out the carry skills. So much to go into it. And if you don’t have anyone to teach you it’s pretty daunting.
You’ve been assaulted without provocation three times in the recent past, one of which resulted in surgery, and you are asking if you should learn to box? This question is so insanely stupid I’m having a hard time believing it’s real. But just in case…no, fucking boxing isn’t what you need.

You should be carrying a weapon. At least one of those collapsible batons, or a knife or pepper spray depending on where you live. Putting up your dukes like a 1940’s boxer is only going to result in you getting your ass beat…or killed.

More importantly, it’s time to find a new job. Whatever your are doing, it’s not worth your life.
Yep carry more of a deterrent and also cardio so you can run away. Squaring up to fight 1 or 2 guys is stupid because there will be a third hiding to hit you in the back.

Even a gun can get you out of that situation. Criminals are usually cowards so a deterrent be it a gun, pepper spray or a quick baton and running will make it tough for them to want to continue the pursuit.

MagusMajul

ahh yeah gotcha. I’m still figuring out the carry skills. So much to go into it. And if you don’t have anyone to teach you it’s pretty daunting.

Yep carry more of a deterrent and also cardio so you can run away. Squaring up to fight 1 or 2 guys is stupid because there will be a third hiding to hit you in the back.

Even a gun can get you out of that situation. Criminals are usually cowards so a deterrent be it a gun, pepper spray or a quick baton and running will make it tough for them to want to continue the pursuit.
no matter weapon you choose to carry, whether be a blade, pistol, or pepper spray, you better have it in a holster or sheath. If not then you deserve to suffer whatever happens to you.

Last edited:

chakadave

Neo Member
no matter weapon you choose to carry, whether be a blade, pistol, or pepper spray, you better have it in a holster or sheath. If not then you deserve to suffer whatever happens to you.
Oh I agree. It’s not like Hollywood. You can’t put these things in a waistband.

It’s a skill not people understand.

Top Bottom