• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Psychotext said:
Regarding the ending:

Does anyone know what the score is with the green books? The red books obviously give you story but the green just seems to clear the screen. There's also a section with a "time immune" platform but I'm not sure if that does anything special either.

It is a little confusing. Though the very last level was a masterpiece.

What I thought was
that red books were fake things in your psycho-metal-stalker guy's head, but green books were the truth.

MercuryLS

Banned
Eric WK said:
That's the point. When you enter the level they both start moving. If you reverse time at all, the special one will keep going and block the platform you need. Go back through the door and come back into the level. Don't rewind at all until the platform you need has made it out. You can stay at the bottom and wait while killing the spherical guys or proceed up top, but if you die you're probably going to be forced to rewind time too much.

Thanks, that's the easiest puzzle in the world, can't believe I fucked that one up. Didn't even notice the two platforms and how they react to each other. That part is ingenious cause the dev tries his hardest to make you want to hit that rewind button.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
When it's a puzzle game it's great. When it devolves into pin point jumping puzzles it's absolute flaming fuck shit garbage of fucking shit fuck.

Yea time for a break I think.

Gigglepoo

rhfb said:
Are there really only 6 levels? The demo was ok, but if that is 1/6th of the game, I'll have to wait for the price to drop before I get it.

It's comparable in length and quality to Portal. I think both are well worth $15.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I know I need a break but I can't. Still I can't believe this has devolved in to Dr. Jumpinsteins game of shitty jumping in the shit jump emporium.

Sean

Banned
GDJustin said:
9243 people have bought the game, now.

Awesome!

It's certainly one of the fastest selling XBLA games I believe - hasn't even been out a day yet! When you consider the higher price point and lack of marketing (it's selling on word of mouth basically) that's really impressive sales so far.

Sinatar said:
When it devolves into pin point jumping puzzles it's absolute flaming fuck shit garbage of fucking shit fuck.
Pinpoint jumping? Where? I didn't notice anything more pinpoint than landing on top of one of those fat, round enemies. :D

This is sorta off-topic, but I'm desperate to play this game. I just moved today, and forgot my 360 power cable (not the supply). Is there any way to replace this short of finding a replica?

I'm too much of a fucking unrisky pussy to plug a PC power cable into the supply.

RiskyChris said:
I'm too much of a fucking unrisky pussy to plug a PC power cable into the supply.
They're identical.

[Edit - Before I cause you to blow something up... I can only speak for the UK! :lol ]

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm taking my time but I've finished worlds 2, 3 and 4 now. It really does feel a lot like Portal sometimes when I get those "Fuck, why didn't I think of that before" moments. I am really enjoying it though and it was well worth 1200 points.

Saerk

Is it possible to get all the pieces in the demo? There are these pieces floating over a door that Im at a loss on how to get.

Well just got one of them, the other one is probably possible too.

Grecco

Saerk said:
Is it possible to get all the pieces in the demo? There are these pieces floating over a door that Im at a loss on how to get.

Id like to know this as well. Im missing two pieces from World 2 in the demo

lol... I can't get the music out of my head. I haven't played it for the last few hours but it's stuck there in the background. :lol

Chris R

Saerk said:

They are all possible.

The puzzle can be jumped on, and can move a monster down to the lower level to help you jump up higher

Eric WK

If you like the soundtrack:

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=260

Many people have been saying they like the music in Braid, and would like to get a hold of the soundtrack.

I don’t have the rights to redistribute the music, but all of the songs were licensed from magnatune.com, where you can listen to them for free and buy high-quality versions of the albums they are on at very low prices that you yourself choose (if you really like the song and want to support the musician, you can choose to pay a lot!)

Here’s a list of the tracks in Braid and links to the Magnatune pages where you can find them. (These songs are also listed in the credits to Braid).

* “Maenam”, by Jami Sieber, from the album Hidden Sky.
* “Undercurrent” and “The Darkening Ground”, by Jami Sieber, from the album Lush Mechanique.
* “Tell It By Heart” and “Long Past Gone”, by Jami Sieber, from the album Second Sight.
* “Downstream”, by Shira Kammen, from the album Music of Waters.
* “Lullaby Set”, by Shira Kammen and Swan, from the album Wild Wood.
* “Romanesca”, by Cheryl Ann Fulton, from the album The Once and Future Harp.

Edit: BB. ;D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Linkzg said:
I am actually surprised it got A+

See, I'm wondering where all this humanity and what not comes from. I suppose it doesn't help I skipped reading all the books. That was one decision the designer made that I thought was just really kind of silly. Optional text is just not how you tell a story in games. I got to the ending and I was like, huh? What the hell? That's it? I guess I should have read all that text!! I thought it was just a really lazy way to tell a story in a game. They created such beautiful worlds, instead of wasting it all as backdrop they should have focused on telling the story in the game.

Ben Sones

rhfb said:
Are there really only 6 levels? The demo was ok, but if that is 1/6th of the game, I'll have to wait for the price to drop before I get it.

There are six worlds--there are multiple levels in each. The first world (#2) is very short. The others, not so much. It's still not a super long game--maybe five or six hours for the average player, to get through it once? I think that's pretty reasonable for $15. Would you buy a $60 game that had 20-24 hours of gameplay? This is a similar value.

FrankT

sp0rsk said:
See, I'm wondering where all this humanity and what not comes from. I suppose it doesn't help I skipped reading all the books. That was one decision the designer made that I thought was just really kind of silly. Optional text is just not how you tell a story in games. I got to the ending and I was like, huh? What the hell? That's it? I guess I should have read all that text!! I thought it was just a really lazy way to tell a story in a game. They created such beautiful worlds, instead of wasting it all as backdrop they should have focused on telling the story in the game.

Certainly shouldn't have skipped the books. I can see why people would skip the books. Me on the other hand no way. Just going through the second world and reading that review I can see why.

Shearie

I want to feel like an intellectual too so give me my PC version right motherfucking now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saerk

rhfb said:
They are all possible.

The puzzle can be jumped on, and can move a monster down to the lower level to help you jump up higher

I had just figured this out shortly after posting that.

I radomly jumped on that ledge. After I saw that the ledge was interactable the rest was easy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i don't understand who would skip the books after spending so much time on this forum reading about how heart-breakingly beautiful this game is...

i downloaded the demo, got to the second book (they mention the princess' braid) and immediately purchased the game. just beat world 2 and i am so utterly happy that i did.

love this game already...

sp0rsk said:

c'mon dude your lazyness != developer's lazyness...

Tendo said:
any word on the pc release yet?

I don't believe they have finished the PC version yet. Their arrangement with Microsoft likely guarantees the release of a PC version to be delayed in any case. I'm hoping that we won't have wait as long the PC version of Braid as we did for Everyday Shooter.

sprsk

jon bones said:
i don't understand who would skip the books after spending so much time on this forum reading about how heart-breakingly beautiful this game is...

i downloaded the demo, got to the second book (they mention the princess' braid) and immediately purchased the game. just beat world 2 and i am so utterly happy that i did.

love this game already...

c'mon dude your lazyness != developer's lazyness...

It's never the user's fault.

He obviously made the story optional for a reason. Why, I have no idea because the ending makes no sense without it.

sp0rsk said:

I read all the text, both before and after I finished it, but it didn't help much. It is a shame considering
how well done the final bit with the Princess and Knight is done. That was actually really great and the final realisation of what was actually happening was incredibly creepy and eerie. Even reading all the books, all they give off are random bits about the character, but for the most part the entire 'story' is in World 1 at the end.

The way I understood it best is that the main character, Tim (aka You. aka psycho mental stalker freak.) is crazy and everything that took place from World 2 to World 6 is all in his head. In World 1, we see him at first believing that he is chasing to save the Princess from the evil man, running from the flames and fighting off enemies. You think that the Princess is helping you as you help her. Then you reach the end and realise what is actually going on. The final books shed light on who you really are, and what is actually happening.

That is all really well done and all, but how about you don't spring this creative story telling on us in 5 - 10 minutes at the end of the game? Portal was amazing because it worked in everything at once.

I am also not a fan at how this game only has one solution per puzzle. Unlike Portal (since the comparison is so hot right now), it is trying to find out the one option instead of using your abilities to get things done.

Still, I think it is a great game. Even after getting every puzzle piece and all that, I don't think it is the most brilliant game to ever come out. I guess I play a lot of flash games that present a unique twist to platforming, kind of like what Braid does (I'm gonna just shout out one game in particular: Karoshi.)

soldat7

sp0rsk said:
I suppose it doesn't help I skipped reading all the books. That was one decision the designer made that I thought was just really kind of silly.

Between this, the Lost Odyssey dreams, and my recent playing of Planescape: Torment, I'm LOVING reading in games all over again. The written word has so much to offer to the world of video games, even after all these years.

I finally had to take a break because all the time bending puzzles started to hurt my head!

World 2 & 3 are solved, ugh World 4 & 6 are kicking my ass. World 5 i have 10/12

Overall a great game. I'm going to do my best to beat the game w/o a guide.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sp0rsk said:
But if they gave you a free book with your purchase would you have thrown it away simply because it was tied to a game?

sp0rsk said:
It's never the user's fault.

He obviously made the story optional for a reason. Why, I have no idea because the ending makes no sense without it.

Because it's still a puzzle game, and people might want to play it solely for puzzles? How do you imagine any story would make sense if you skip to the end? I mean seriously, it's stupid to not give the players choice, and it's stupid to complain that the narrative doesn't make sense at the end because you've chosen to skip it.

Beyond that I think the game makes enough sense at the end even if you've not read the books. You think you're finally rescuing the princess (made apparent through the dinos at the castles "...do you even know the princess?") when in fact you're the one attempting to capture her.

In short I haven't a clue how your critique of the story works.

sprsk

SapientWolf said:
But if they gave you a free book with your purchase would you have thrown it away simply because it was tied to a game?

I don't read fanfic.

sprsk

Spirit of Jazz said:
Because it's still a puzzle game, and people might want to play it solely for puzzles? How do you imagine any story would make sense if you skip to the end? I mean seriously, it's stupid to not give the players choice, and it's stupid to complain that the narrative doesn't make sense at the end because you've chosen to skip it..

Stupid not to give players a choice to be a part of a story? What? If it was just a puzzle game what was the point of crafting these intricate worlds? Might as well made it Bejeweled then.

Come on, you and everyone else in here knows there's better ways of telling a story in a game. You can't honestly tell me this was the best way to present the story.

sp0rsk said:
Stupid not to give players a choice to be a part of a story? What? If it was just a puzzle game what was the point of crafting these intricate worlds? Might as well made it Bejeweled then.

Come on, you and everyone else in here knows there's better ways of telling a story in a game. You can't honestly tell me this was the best way to present the story.

Games have multiple levels that appeal to different people, MGS lets you quit cutscenes and Braid lets you skip by the text if you wish to. Both games clearly show this is how they're going to deliver the narrative, you shouldn't be whining because you chose not to partake in it.

If you actually read the books then maybe you'd see it was the best way to tell the tale? Also I have a hard time believing any gamer wouldn't get the base narrative even without reading the books for reasons mentioned in my other post.

Top Bottom