• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
All puzzle pieces collected for Worlds 2 and 3. Trying to finish a world before moving on to the next.

I can't decide if the final few pieces in World 2 I earned (from the 2nd level) were absolutely brilliant puzzles - great examples of lateral thinking, or absolutely bullshit puzzles. :lol For those wondering,
They're the ones where you have to move the puzzle pieces around to create a platform you can jump on.

Edit: 6259 people on the leaderboard, now. It seems to be displaying all purchases, since the people on the bottom have 0 puzzle pieces collected.

If you speed run, you apparently can get below 45 minutes (last I checked, 4 people tried, all failed, one guy had 49 minutes). I took way longer than that since I had to figure out the clues. I would say a good couple of hours. It all depends on how quickly you can solve the stages.

I don't think I will ever attempt a speed run. I mean, 45 minutes seems like it will be pushing it. They really didn't set the limits to fair considering how slow the games moves and that it doesn't allow shortcuts. If you make even one mistake, you will fail. It is crazy.

Linkzg said:
I don't think I will ever attempt a speed run. I mean, 45 minutes seems like it will be pushing it. They really didn't set the limits to fair considering how slow the games moves and that it doesn't allow shortcuts. If you make even one mistake, you will fail. It is crazy.
Isn't it taken as the sum of your level times though? Shouldn't be that bad if that's the case.

Opus Angelorum said:
Hating the mechanic introduced in World 4, introduces frustration.

Once it clicks you'll love it.

If you've used video or music editing software before think of it as scrubbing through the footage/sound. Everything will occur at the same time and place in the level so you have to think around it.

h3ro

MS needs to follow Sony and put up some Soundtracks for us to purchase... I would love to pick the OST to Braid up, just like I have for Warhawk, Uncharted and PixelJunk Monsters...

Make it happen MS.

Buttonbasher said:
Would you pay 15 dollars for the Soundtrack?

PJ Monster's OST was in the PSN store for $2.99...

rhino4evr

Sinatar said:
I'd be nice if nobody would answer this. Stop judging games on length. Christ.

dude, I was just curious. The game will be purchased regardless. Portal was only 4 hours long and it was one of my favorite games last year. Stop being so defensive.

Psychotext said:
Isn't it taken as the sum of your level times though? Shouldn't be that bad if that's the case.

It is an option in the Speed Run menu that unlocks after you beat the game. I haven't tried it out, but if it is anything like the other speed run courses, it is straight through and messing up once means you miss the passing time.

jesus on 2.4 do you really
have to jump on the hedgehog thing after its been fired out of the cannon to get to the ledge on the other side?
if so thats f'ing hard!

ArtG

Need help with World 4, level three (Just out of Reach)

I remember from playing this game a couple months back that you need to get the middle goomba thing across the two pillars to get the key, but I cannot remember how the hell I did it.

mr_bishiuk said:
have to jump on the hedgehog thing after its been fired out of the cannon to get to the ledge on the other side?
if so thats f'ing hard!

Yes, takes about 20 goes, but you'll get there

Linkzg said:
It is an option in the Speed Run menu that unlocks after you beat the game. I haven't tried it out, but if it is anything like the other speed run courses, it is straight through and messing up once means you miss the passing time.
I mention it being potentially split up because that option has the levels split up on it.

ArtG

mr_bishiuk said:
if so thats f'ing hard!

Yes. It's not so bad.

Gowans

right the level
bouncing ladder

I gave up on teh first peice, no way I can make it back through the cannon balls on the way down but as for the ladder peice I have the ring slowing down teh ladder when it hist the ground, im green and would reverse time to go up with the ladder but it lasts for as I jump of the platfrom to me getting to the ladder ?!?!?!

Hints, tips, what should I be thinking about?

At the start of the game there were random puzzle pieces that I had no clue how to get to so I assumed that there was going to be some special ability I'd get later on where I'd then have to backtrack and get those pieces (a la Castlevania)... much to my delight I learned that I wasn't thinking hard enough.

The Innocent X said:
Yes, takes about 20 goes, but you'll get there

Thanks the moment I knew that was the answer it became so much easier!!

What a f'ing game! Need my cheap live points to turn up asap!

ArtG said:
Yes. It's not so bad.

Yer thanks done it now, just needed it to be possible in my head!

Psychotext said:
I mention it being potentially split up because that option has the levels split up on it.

Maybe, but those split up levels are only individual levels from various worlds. Combined they shouldn't take more than 7 minutes or so. I'm pretty sure that the whole 45 minute thing is from start to finish. I'll try it out later, but right now I am a bit tired.

Gowans007 said:
right the level
bouncing ladder

I gave up on teh first peice, no way I can make it back through the cannon balls on the way down but as for the ladder peice I have the ring slowing down teh ladder when it hist the ground, im green and would reverse time to go up with the ladder but it lasts for as I jump of the platfrom to me getting to the ladder ?!?!?!

Hints, tips, what should I be thinking about?

There are two sparkly platforms. One moves horizontal, one moves vertical. One stops because of the other.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For those of you stuck, asking for help, you might want to consider the developer's official walkthrough, first:

http://braid-game.com/walkthrough/walkthrough.html
... once you get into the actual puzzles, solve them for yourself and do not use a walkthrough!

All the puzzles in Braid are reasonable.

They don't require you to do anything random; they don't require guessing. They don't require trial and error. The solutions tend to be simple and natural. They flow directly from the rules of gameplay in each world.

If you are having problems solving a puzzle, don't give up!

Some of the puzzles will be hard. But when you manage to solve those hard puzzles, you will feel very good about it. The game will feel very rewarding. Don't rob yourself of that feeling by reading a walkthrough!

Please do not use a walkthrough.

Braid does not have a linear story the way most games do, so Getting To The End is not necessarily what you would expect. The idea of "beating the game" does not apply so much, here. Braid is about the journey, not the destination. If you use a walkthrough to bypass some of the puzzles, you will be robbing yourself of that journey.

Don't give up.

All the puzzles can be solved. Some of them might take an hour or two, but you will get it. If you try. And you will feel cool and smart. If you read a walkthrough (or get spoilers from a forum), you can never un-read it. You can never un-spoiler yourself! So don't spoiler yourself.

Thank you for your time.

He's absolutely right, of course. The game is non-linear - if you're stuck, just move on instead of asking for help. The puzzle piece isn't going anywhere. I've already almost come to GAF asking for tips TWICE, but both times I stuck it out and eventually solved the puzzle on my own. It felt much better.

I am determined to get ALL puzzle pieces with no tips, no guides.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
khaaan.jpg

GDJustin said:
He's absolutely right, of course. The game is non-linear - if you're stuck, just move on instead of asking for help. The puzzle piece isn't going anywhere. I've already almost come to GAF asking for tips TWICE, but both times I stuck it out and eventually solved the puzzle on my own. It felt much better.

Me too. It actually happened in the demo with Hunt!. I could not figure out how to get up to the right side of the board so I moved on. Unfortunately I saw someone help someone else else with it in the thread, but I was already 75% of the way there to figuring it out anyway.

Must. Get. Home.

Crisis

Banned
Fuck me. How the hell do you get to the other side of the painting in world 2 to get those two other pieces?!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Crisis said:
Fuck me. How the hell do you get to the other side of the painting in world 2 to get those two other pieces?!

You don't want this ruined. Of all the puzzles, not that.

Crisis said:

NO ONE TELL HIM.

Seriously, just think it out, look around carefully. It's the first truly great puzzle in the game. It's the one thing I wish I'd never spoiled.

All the puzzles in Braid are reasonable.

They don't require you to do anything random; they don't require guessing. They don't require trial and error. The solutions tend to be simple and natural. They flow directly from the rules of gameplay in each world.
This is not true for 2 of the pieces in the demo I played.

GDJustin said:
For those of you stuck, asking for help, you might want to consider the developer's official walkthrough, first:

http://braid-game.com/walkthrough/walkthrough.html

I asked for help maybe 3 or 4 times, but I always solved it before ever checking back for the answer. I think it was just the brief time away from the game that helped clear my mind.

but I do think that this bit:

Braid does not have a linear story the way most games do, so Getting To The End is not necessarily what you would expect. The idea of "beating the game" does not apply so much, here.

is a crock of shit.

as is this:

such bullshit, man.

And I really wish that instead of the speedrun, there would be extra levels that were harder, kind of like what Portal did.

SickBoy

So just to be clear, because you just sort of walk into it in the demo and start wandering around, the point of the game is to find all the pieces (rather than just progressing through all the levels to the various castles)?

I'm leaning towards picking this up right now... very happy with the control, which I thought looked floaty in videos... not sure if I'll enjoy the entire game, but probably willing to give it a go.

X26

Banned
Game does a good job of making me feel stupid

How are you supposed to get those pieces in w2 that are near doors with nothing else around and are slightly too high to jump towards?

I wasn't going to buy this. I only had 2800 points on my account, and I convinced myself that I'd use it on Bionic Commando and Castle Crashers. Then I played it. So much charm, well thought out gameplay.

Pelloki

Glad to see everybody enjoying this. Quick question about collectables:
how many stars have people snagged? I've got four out of the total eight but I have no idea where the other half could be.

Crisis

Banned
Bah. Okay somebody tell me if I'm on the right track in world 2-2 at least:

I think you have to use the picture to create a bridge across the gap. But no matter what I do I can't use the picture to get across.

Crisis said:

I think you have to use the picture to create a bridge across the gap. But no matter what I do I can't use the picture to get across.

you are on the right track

Gowans

just got the peice in the end of world 6, I can't remember a game I've ever played that had so many wow moments, after minutes of trying the penny drops, the solution clicks and I am wow'd.

Pimpbaa

McBacon said:
Games should be judged on fun. Factoring in enjoyment and smile value.

Of course. But the length of the game IS important. The price and the supposed short length of this game is making me wait for a price drop.

DuckRacer

Crisis said:

you need to collect other puzzle pieces in that world and return to the picture after you've finished the world. then you'll likely have the right pieces to build what you want.

Pimpbaa said:
Of course. But the length of the game IS important. The price and the supposed short length of this game is making me wait for a price drop.

Well, I don't see a single person who finished the game wanting thier money back In a usual XBLA thread at least 10 people would be in moaning about how they didn't get their money's worth

Top Bottom