• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Aeana said:
I really didn't like world 4's mechanic at all (and I'm stumped on a few of the puzzles, still), but world 5's mechanic is so cool. I went from loving the game, to not having much fun, to loving it even more. I still dread going back to finish up world 4, though.

Looks like I'll just move on to Level 5. I'm in the same boat, can't stand the level 4 mechanics. Not having much fun is exactly how I felt in 4. Got all but 2 pieces but the other pieces just weren't fun.

Crisis

Banned
I have two puzzles left in World 4. Can anyone tell me the trick behind Fickle Companion? I am really stumped. For the record, I've got most of the puzzles in the game solved but I can't put my mind around that one.

Eric WK

Crisis said:
I have two puzzles left in World 4. Can anyone tell me the trick behind Fickle Companion? I am really stumped. For the record, I've got most of the puzzles in the game solved but I can't put my mind around that one.

I'm not sure exactly. Took me forever and then I got lucky and it just sort of solved itself. :lol

soldat7

Buttonbasher said:
The last paragraph pretty much sums up my thoughts of it as well.

Crap. That last paragraph is kind of a spoiler. I haven't beaten the game yet...That's unfortunate that Nick directly comments on the ending being "emotionally devastating".

MercuryLS

Banned
Eric WK said:
I'm not sure exactly. Took me forever and then I got lucky and it just sort of solved itself. :lol

Same here, the trick is
Use the moving platform to bring the goomba over to the other side, the key will automatically transfer over to him when you go back, then go up the ladder and steal the key back with the jump that steals the key and brings you up the top platform with the locked door, you should be able to open it now and get the puzzle piece

Eric WK

MercuryLS said:
Same here, the trick is
Use the moving platform to bring the goomba over to the other side, the key will automatically transfer over to him when you go back, then go up the ladder and steal the key back with the jump that steals the key and brings you up the top platform with the locked door, you should be able to open it now and get the puzzle piece

Whoops. I was thinking of Fragile Companion.

Sorry. :p

Crisis

Banned
I'm somewhat proud of myself. I actually got those before I came back to check on the replies here. :D But 5-4. God damn it.

Saerk

I enjoyed the demo, but I don't think I'll be getting it. Mostly its because I see myself passing this game in a couple hours and never touching it again.

Ben Sones

Saerk said:
I enjoyed the demo, but I don't think I'll be getting it. Mostly its because I see myself passing this game in a couple hours and never touching it again.

The full game is considerably tougher than the demo. I think it's worth the price; it definitely has some of the cleverest puzzles I've seen in a long time.

Feep

Banned
True story: I just bought an Xbox 360 with no games, just because I wanted Braid. (Well, and to debug my Dream Build Play entry, but whatevs.)

I hope I'm not disappointed, GAF. = D

Majora

Unless you're ridiculously clever I don't see how anyone could only get three hours out of it. Or unless you constantly cheat but then there's no point you buying the game anyway. I'd consider myself fairly intelligent and ive gotten over ten hours out of it so far. Not long left now but it's been an excellent experience. It makes me sad when people dismiss it because of a measly 400 points extra

Eric WK

Feep said:
True story: I just bought an Xbox 360 with no games, just because I wanted Braid. (Well, and to debug my Dream Build Play entry, but whatevs.)

I hope I'm not disappointed, GAF. = D

I've gotten the impression that almost everyone who was looking forward to Braid has walked away pretty damn happy.

am i the only person on gaf not fawning over this game? i admittedly like the watercolour-like imagery, but im pretty much indifferent to the gameplay.

im having more fun with pixeljunk eden, maybe because its so much more different than anything else out there at the moment.

Mifune

Mehmber
Andronicus said:
am i the only person on gaf not fawning over this game? i admittedly like the watercolour-like imagery, but im pretty much indifferent to the gameplay.

im having more fun with pixeljunk eden, maybe because its so much more different than anything else out there at the moment.

Do you not like puzzles?

Eric WK said:
I've gotten the impression that almost everyone who was looking forward to Braid has walked away pretty damn happy.
I walked away angry. World 4 was not fun. 2 and 3 were fantastic. Hoping the same for 5 and 6.

Mamesj

Banned
holy fuck at the jumpman level. just spent about an hour on it. :lol

put the key in the right side. then spent the next hour trying to arrange a double jump to get the piece, thinking the first key was a red herring. FUCK.

I'm a little weary of "emotionally devastating" in a review for a video game...so lemme guess, he
never finds the princess and/or dies?
Just seems like another "oscar worthy" moment to justify the medium. Not that this is a bad game or that the books aren't intriguing...

Man this game hurts my brain. I just can't figure out some of these puzzles even in Worlds 2 and 3! I have no idea how I'm going to move on. I'm hoping to figure it out by myself like Portal but I may need to bring my friend in to help solve some of these puzzles.

keanerie

I feel like this game just clicked for me, and everything about it is suddenly brilliant.

After I finally got the last two pieces in World 2
I KNEW IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE PAINTING DAMMIT
I conquered World 3 smoothly and am sailing in to mop up what's left of 4.

goldenpp72 said:
ok im on world 3 and I see these little guys shooting out of a cannon, 3 at a time total, there is a fire spike pit to the left with a puzzle piece, and to the right of the pit, a glowing orange door thing, does anyone know what to do here?
Pay very close attention to the room title when you first enter it.

Eric WK

Mamesj said:
I'm a little weary of "emotionally devastating" in a review for a video game...so lemme guess, he
never finds the princess and/or dies?
Just seems like another "oscar worthy" moment to justify the medium. Not that this is a bad game or that the books aren't intriguing...

If it were that obvious it wouldn't be getting the same level of praise.

Just got this, don't totally understand some of the mechanics. Is it possible to 100% each level the first time through, or is backtracking/replaying needed?

Eric WK

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Just got this, don't totally understand some of the mechanics. Is it possible to 100% each level the first time through, or is backtracking/replaying needed?

You only need to backtrack in World 2.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My mind is a fucked apart dead thing. I'm loving this game, but I'm calling it quits for tonight. My remaining brain cells need to regroup. It is so beautiful.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Finished the game at 374th in the world! Im not that great at puzzle solving games so thats great. Game was a mind fuck the whole way through and I loved it.

SEQUEL PLEASE

Also Braid is nearing the 11,000 Purchasers point :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
darkressurection said:
Someone needs to upload the ending to youtube, I don't have money right now but I really want to see it.
I don't think the ending is going to have the same impact if you've never played the game. Even the hype can take away from the ending by creating unrealistic expectations.

SapientWolf said:
I don't think the ending is going to have the same impact if you've never played the game. Even the hype can take away from the ending by creating unrealistic expectations.
Well, I already read the spoilers, I just want to see how they handled it.

keanerie

Metalic Sand said:
Finished the game at 374th in the world! Im not that great at puzzle solving games so thats great. Game was a mind fuck the whole way through and I loved it.

SEQUEL PLEASE

Where are we getting the stats for this?

FrankT

Metalic Sand said:

SEQUEL PLEASE

~11,250 last time I looked. :D

Not too shabby for a 1200 game day one I'd say.

DuckRacer

keanerie said:
Where are we getting the stats for this?
probably leaderboards

Oh yeah, and Braid likely ending up at 12,000 on its first day at the 1,200 pricepoint must be really awesome for Blow and co.

Something like GripShift only gets 12,000 sales total.

burgerdog

WOW, WOW, I finally got around to trying the demo a few minutes ago and it's amazing. I will pick this up when my credit card gets here(damn current expired card!)

Jtyettis said:
~11,250 last time I looked. :D

Not too shabby for a 1200 game day one I'd say.
Shabby-chic, dude, shabby chic. Somehow that relates...:D

The puzzles in this game are f'awesome. Clever stuff. If 1200 is the price of entry for originality, I'll pay it. Good to see good games sell. When those Xbox price cuts hit, here's to recommending this game to all the new owners. And Castle Crashers, price be damned.

MercuryLS

Banned
This is easily the best downloadable game I've ever played, it's just pure brilliance. It's rivals most full $60 retail games too.

Totally worth the $15.

I can't get the last jiggy on Fickle Companion. I've been sat here for 20 minutes.

...helpful hints? I got the first piece by
moving the goomba like thing over with the platform and having him catch the key
but how do I open two doors with one key?!

*edit* Got it. That's clever!

Butane123

After playing this the last hour or two, I can easily say that this is the best XBLA game, and one of the best on the 360 as a whole. I'd love to see more games like this down the pipe.

GhaleonEB

Sean said:
Popular game on GAF, 2nd most XBLA (after GeoWars 2): http://joaomgcd.planetaclix.pt/gamesleaderboards/Braid.xml

Every time I look another person buys it, good to see :D
Hmmm I'm not on that list, but I posted in the thread to add my GT. How often does it update?

I had to cheat and read up for some tips on Level 2 for three pieces. But now that I've got the hang of the "rules", aside from the last area (I stopped at the start) I got all but one in Level 3. And I figured out how to get that one, I just have to restart that room.

But tomorrow. It's so traquil, but my brain is FRIED.

It's somewhat cliché, but this game is literally a work of art.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
darkressurection said:
Well, I already read the spoilers, I just want to see how they handled it.
Speaking of spoilers, I kind of wish I didn't see the end of level 2, but it pretty much sold me a copy of the game. Anyone still on the fence should probably take a look.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm ranked 61st, how exactly is this stuff calculated?

On the official leaderboards that is.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
sp0rsk said:
I'm ranked 61st, how exactly is this stuff calculated?

On the official leaderboards that is.

The regular leaderboard is just calculated by puzzle pieaces so you were the 61st person to collect all the pieaces and you will never change in rank. the speed run leaderboards are of course for speed and can move higher/lower unlike the puzzle pieace ranks

Sean

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Hmmm I'm not on that list, but I posted in the thread to add my GT. How often does it update?

Sounds like a glitch, try PMing joaomgcd, I'm sure he'll fix it right away.

Top Bottom