• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Timan

Developer
Edit Figured it out, I swear second you post for help you figure it out yourself... :lol

Wish this game was a tad longer. Still a great buy, hope it does well.

Crisis

Banned
YES! I got it!

I didn't have enough of the puzzle pieces. I thought I could do it with the actual pieces themselves rather than what was in the picture. Once I really went back and looked at the other puzzles I was able to solve them which let me solve that one by the painting.

Absolutely brilliant puzzle. Achievement Unlocked, bitches.

bycha

This game is pure genius.

I think this is biggest creative achievement for Xbox.

I never thought THIS kinda game would ever be on Xbox 360.

But I have to say after World 3 it is not easy at all.

Gowans

ended world 6 with 50 out of 60 pieces. guessing I need to get the 7 pieces to complete the paintings before I can move on to the last bit.

4-6 I'm missing one because I can't get the dude past the two quick plants. I first tried to edge him past fast forwarding and rewinidng each time I heard him die then i suss I needed to go all the way over the other side and then 8x rewind to bolt him past tried about 50x and can't get the timing right. Any tips if in the execution??

5-3 no idea on how to get the key up and over to open the door for the peice on the left. (was chuffed just to get past that pesky bunny) Think I could invest more pondering time into that one.

5-4 Can't get the part above the platform above the door on the right. Think I need to get some critters over and do a double jump but I remember not being able to do it.

6-3 the one above the cannon in the middle, tried slowing down the cloud to jump on it and over to the cannon but its always just out of reach.

6-4 Can I jack get past this fast plant. I know its another no rewinder to for the ledge under teh cannon. BLOODY PLANT

6-5 The part above the door on the left underneath the platfrom that moves up. I can get in the little place to flick the switch but getting out is another issue.

6-6 Can't work out how to get back down from all those cannons just with my little old ring.

Sure its just a mechanic or one thing I'm forgetting thats stopping me get these so gonna run through them before I hit that sack. Any tips or things to think out to help me discover solutions will be appreciated.

Darkman M

I usually don't buy Xbla games, but i made an exception for this game and i do not regret it, gotta take a break cause my brain is aching right now :lol

Wow... What a game. I am completely in love with the visual presentation, music and the puzzles. I really hope that this game thrives despite the rather high asking-price - because it deserves to, and if it succeeds, more bold, extra-ordinary games will follow.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Man, the puzzles in 6-5 (the last piece) and 6-7 are driving me nuts.

Are you supposed to try to get two of those little goombas across?

Hints, anybody? Only two pieces I haven't gotten yet :/

EDIT: Nevermind, just got it! :D

Aeana

I really didn't like world 4's mechanic at all (and I'm stumped on a few of the puzzles, still), but world 5's mechanic is so cool. I went from loving the game, to not having much fun, to loving it even more. I still dread going back to finish up world 4, though.

pswii60

Whew, solved World 2. Finally 'getting' the game. And loving it to the max.

So insanely beautiful, from both an audible and visual standpoint.

M.J. Doja

Banned
yeah.. this game is getting exceedingly tough.

just like with portal, this game makes me throw up my brain and stick it back into my head upside down.. except without all the awesome motion sick feeling.

its sorta working but i still had to turn this thing off when i walked thru a whole level in world 4 and skipped every puzzle... WTF?!

MercuryLS

Banned
One question, I just went through world 2 and there was some puzzle pieces I couldn't get to. Is that normal? Am I supposed to revisit the level with some sort of power up or something? Or should I be able to get all puzzle pieces in a world my first time through?

Gowans

MercuryLS said:
One question, I just went through world 2 and there was some puzzle pieces I couldn't get to. Is that normal? Am I supposed to revisit the level with some sort of power up or something? Or should I be able to get all puzzle pieces in a world my first time through?

no power ups for back tracking. You should be able to treat each world independatly

Gowans

OK GAF after retrying I got a few and I am now missing only four pieces and need some hints/tips on these four pieces.

4-6 DONE thanks for the tip sintar
I'm missing one because I can't get the dude past the two quick plants. I first tried to edge him past fast forwarding and rewinidng each time I heard him die then i suss I needed to go all the way over the other side and then 8x rewind to bolt him past tried about 50x and can't get the timing right. Any tips if in the execution?? - Never even thought about going up to the clouds /slaps forehead

5-3
no idea on how to get the key up and over to open the door for the piece on the left. (was chuffed just to get past that pesky bunny) Think I could invest more pondering time into that one.

5-4
Can't get the part above the platform above the door on the right. Think I need to get some critters over and do a double jump but I remember not being able to do it.

edit
6-5- DONE THIS ONE WOO..!!
The part above the door on the left underneath the platform that moves up. I can get in the little place to flick the switch but getting out is another issue. very very clear little extra jump needed for the ring

MercuryLS said:

World 2 is the only world where you can't get all the pieces on your first run through.

keanerie

Portal was a breeze for me, Braid gives me a lot of issues, and yes World 4 is terrible. But I still forgive it for being what it is, and for everything else great about it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Gowans007 said:
OK GAF after retrying I got a few and I am now missing only four pieces and need some hints/tips on these four pieces.

4-6
I'm missing one because I can't get the dude past the two quick plants. I first tried to edge him past fast forwarding and rewinidng each time I heard him die then i suss I needed to go all the way over the other side and then 8x rewind to bolt him past tried about 50x and can't get the timing right. Any tips if in the execution??

Answer:
Use the cloud above him, when you walk left it reverses time very fast...

HELP! (4-7)
How the bloody hell do you get the key to the locked door at the first puzzle piece in 4-7. I've been trying for 3 bloody hours.

FightyF

Banned
Trying to get one final piece from 5. It looks easy, but I can't figure it out yet. I won't play 6 until I got it.

But thus far, I thought Stage 4's mechanic was the best. You could make an entire platform game out of that!

Gowans

Sinatar said:
Use the cloud above him, when you walk left it reverses time very fast...

Now in exchange, how the bloody hell do you get the key to the locked door at the first puzzle piece in 4-7. I've been trying for 3 bloody hours.

thanks ok heres the hint for 4-7 to help you do it.

you can only take your key right but the little green baddy can carry for you, you just need to get him to get up there leave the key for him and then left him taking back so you can kill him and keep moving right to advance time.

Picked this up tonight. Traversed (and solved) world 2. Really like it so far - the music is wonderful and its got a great whimsical feel. Looking forward to hitting up some more.

Regarding the ending:

Does anyone know what the score is with the green books? The red books obviously give you story but the green just seems to clear the screen. There's also a section with a "time immune" platform but I'm not sure if that does anything special either.

It is a little confusing. Though the very last level was a masterpiece.

bycha

This is the game i can't beat in one or 2 or 3 sittings. I get stuck a lot.

Returning to each puzzle is refreshing. New perspective and new solution always arounв the corner.

Owning all consoles I haven't yet bought any Xbox 360 games in 2008 on dvd -- PS3 and Wii all the Way. But I bought 3 games from Live Arcade.

Retro Evolved 2
Rez HD
Braid

Braid is far and above all of them.

I read that it was made by Jonathan Blow

Blow is the primary host of the Experimental Gameplay Workshop each March at the Game Developers Conference, which has become a premier showcase for new ideas in video games.

itsinmyveins

Psychotext said:
Regarding the ending:

Does anyone know what the score is with the green books? The red books obviously give you story but the green just seems to clear the screen. There's also a section with a "time immune" platform but I'm not sure if that does anything special either.

No idea, man. There was some kind of story-thing behind the rock on the first screen too, I think (if you stand correctly you'll hear a sound and get some more text). And nothing made sense. I don't even know what they were talking about.

Brakara

Psychotext said:
I felt that way about it to start with, then it all came together for me.

Same here, loved World 4 when it clicked. Although I can't figure out the level where you have to kill all the monsters to get the puzzle piece
(as all those bastards come back to life when you go to the left ladder)

Kafel

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Yeah I'm stuck on that Hunt level in World 4 as well, I assume you just have to kill them in a certain order?

start with the higher bag guy, end with the one on the middle right

itsinmyveins

Kafel said:
start with the higher bag guy, end with the one on the middle right

Man, that one annoyed me. Ended up ignoring it for a while then came back later and finished it in my second try or something like that.

Gowans

WOW just finished and wow the ending was fantastic, really blew me away. It's a moment everyone who plays it will remember as a reference point.

Working together with the princess to meet up and escape from the evil kinght then at the point we meet I'm trapped at the other side of teh glass and she is asleep then time reverses and I'm a stalker who she is trying to run away from and then the knight rescues her all by just rewinding the last sequence, wow this is really up there as an amazing moment in gaming.

This game in total will be one of the most memorable gaming experience I have had to date. I can see why the reviewers have gushed over this.

Really one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

Really hope to see some coverage and discussion of this, here and elsewhere in gaming media. WOW!

Gowans007 said:
WOW just finished and wow the ending was fantastic, really blew me away. It's a moment everyone who plays it will remember as a reference point.

Working together with the princess to meet up and escape from the evil kinght then at the point we meet I'm trapped at the other side of teh glass and she is asleep then time reverses and I'm a stalker who she is trying to run away from and then the knight rescues her all by just rewinding the last sequence, wow this is really up there as an amazing moment in gaming.

This game in total will be one of the most memorable gaming experience I have had to date. I can see why the reviewers have gushed over this.

Really one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

Really hope to see some coverage and discussion of this, here and elsewhere in gaming media. WOW!

Totally agree!

Shame that I was so frustrated with a few puzzles that I decided to look up the solution. While the fucking solution stared me in the face all that time! I feel so gutted that I figured out all the puzzles except two of them. I even couldn't get that same feeling back from before looking up the solutions

Don't go asking for answers guys. Just figure it out for yourselves.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So far it's awesome. But just for some clarification, are all the puzzle pieces obtainable the first time you see them? If so I'll need to go back and get them, but I'm not sure if you get new abilities or something.

Rlan

Finally figured out World 2
Why did I not notice that the platform on the painting is PART of the painting!?!>sjkd

Then had to go to work. Will play final level tonight.

Papercuts said:
So far it's awesome. But just for some clarification, are all the puzzle pieces obtainable the first time you see them?
Every world other than world 2. There are no power ups.

On a different note. Speedrun eats me alive! :lol

Eric WK

MercuryLS said:
Can someone help with the first part of irreversible?

Don't... reverse. :p

Keep time moving forward until the horizontal platform has made it out and above the spikes.

goldenpp72

ok im on world 3 and I see these little guys shooting out of a cannon, 3 at a time total, there is a fire spike pit to the left with a puzzle piece, and to the right of the pit, a glowing orange door thing, does anyone know what to do here?

MercuryLS

Banned
Eric WK said:
Don't... reverse. :p

Keep time moving forward until the horizontal platform has made it out and above the spikes.

But there's something blocking the platform, how do I get that out of the way?

Eric WK

MercuryLS said:
But there's something blocking the platform, how do I get that out of the way?

That's the point. When you enter the level they both start moving. If you reverse time at all, the special one will keep going and block the platform you need. Go back through the door and come back into the level. Don't rewind at all until the platform you need has made it out. You can stay at the bottom and wait while killing the spherical guys or proceed up top, but if you die you're probably going to be forced to rewind time too much.

Chris R

Are there really only 6 levels? The demo was ok, but if that is 1/6th of the game, I'll have to wait for the price to drop before I get it.

Eric WK

rhfb said:
Are there really only 6 levels? The demo was ok, but if that is 1/6th of the game, I'll have to wait for the price to drop before I get it.

In terms of time to complete, World 2 is closer to 1/20th of the game's length.

Top Bottom