• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Jasoco said:
Has anyone noticed the flags at the end of each world?

Someone on another forum mentioned this. Each flag is a nautical flag.

World 2: N
World 3: U
World 4: L
World 5: X
World 6: K

N: No
U: You are (standing into/approaching) danger
L: Stop instantly
X: Stop carrying out your intentions
K: You should stop, I have something important to communicate

Genius.

Another small hidden thing. Braid keeps giving.

Finally, I got all stars. It was fun.
Illuminated constellation also adds one image around stars in the sky. Couldn't figure out who is it? Tim or Princess?

Feep

Banned
Just beat the game. It's 5 AM here. I stayed up till 5 AM to beat a game. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.

If you say that you would have bought this at 800 points but did not at 1200, I will find you. Somehow, I will track you down, and eliminate your stupidity from my gene pool.

I was reading this article - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19748

Found this in comment section by Jonathan Blow:

I released Braid on XBLA first for a few reasons.

Firstly, I liked the idea of releasing the game on a fixed platform (i.e. not the PC) because I knew exactly what the hardware would be, didn't have to worry about driver bugs or scalability or varying CPU power. That kind of thing is very helpful when trying to craft a specific experience. So console downloadable seemed like the primary option.

WiiWare was right out, because their size limit (due to lack of storage on the console) is way too small for Braid. I talked to some folks at Sony but they were not interested in carrying the game. Later on I talked to someone from a different division who *was* interested, but by then I had signed with Microsoft and started the XBLA port.

Microsoft called me, rather than me calling them. The person there who called me was someone I knew from other circles (but not super well). He really understood the game and knew that it was something interesting and special, back when it looked extremely Programmer-Graphicsy and amateur. Unfortunately he left the company soon afterward!

Braid is written in C++. I don't think I would ever use XNA on anything, because if you do, your code base is permanently locked into Microsoft platforms. Part of the reason I was able to make Braid so "quickly" is that I already had a large codebase that had accumulated over my working in games for many years. That code is valuable to the extent that it is portable.

Also from same article:

what would keep me from putting another game on Arcade again is just that they've changed the business deal -- at least as I've heard."

Braid was signed over a year ago, Blow says, and with a new deal structure in play, he fears cost sustainment. "If it's as I've heard that it is, I couldn't even necessarily break even."

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

This guy goes into crazy detail deconstructing everything about the ending, including the hidden stars and whatnot. Obviously it's super spoilery, so don't read till you're done with the game.

NZNova

Sinatar said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

This guy goes into crazy detail deconstructing everything about the ending, including the hidden stars and whatnot. Obviously it's super spoilery, so don't read till you're done with the game.

Mind = blown

For anybody interested, we got our review up on Destructoid last night. To sum up my thoughts, just got nothing but respect for Braid after completing it. It absolutely humiliates other XBLA games and should make the creators of Bliss Island want to self harm. I really didn't expect much, but after a certain puzzle in the first world, I was hooked and found myself engaged in a perpetual parade of revelations.

Most encouraging was the fact that you'd get stumped by a puzzle, go away, return with a fresh mind and see the pure logical sensibility that you'd been missing the first time. Everything you need is in front of you at any given time, it's all about your state of mind, your perception.

This is the best thing to happen to downloadable console games ever. Nothing looks, plays or feels like Braid on a console. Other developers need to stand up and take note.

Also, that final world? Utterly chilling, and I wasn't even paying all that much attention to the story.

Sean

Banned
FUCK YEAH!

Beat the Jumpman speedrun with nearly 3 seconds to spare (finished at 37.03, #150 on the leaderboard for that level). And just beat the Phase speedrun at 24.62 (#87 on the leaderboard).

Probably the only two I'll be able to do, but I'm proud of myself :lol

Chinner

Banned
Reading through the rllmuk post, he mentions this:
in the pursuit of the eighth star, Tim finally manages to reach the upper half of the screen, and come into contact with the princess herself. What happens?

She fucking explodes.
ITS SPOILERED FOR A REASON.

My question is, for those of you have
hunted the stars
is this guy being literal or something else?

NZNova

That story post above inspired me to go out and try to get the stars. Holy crap these things are a pain to get!

The one where you have to give the goomba a key and then bounce him up onto the platform above? ARGH

NZNova

Chinner said:
Reading through the rllmuk post, he mentions this:
in the pursuit of the eighth star, Tim finally manages to reach the upper half of the screen, and come into contact with the princess herself. What happens?

She fucking explodes.
ITS SPOILERED FOR A REASON.

My question is, for those of you have
hunted the stars
is this guy being literal or something else?

Don't read this shit if you don't want your shit spoiled.

There is a youtube video you can see. She fucking explodes. Quite literally. There's a cool effect where she flickers into existence in several spots at once and then - booooom. That, and the line about standing tall and radiating fury, the bunker, the sons of bitches line make me think this guy has the meaning of this story absolutely spot on.

Brakara

Sean said:
FUCK YEAH!

Beat the Jumpman speedrun with nearly 3 seconds to spare (finished at 37.03, #150 on the leaderboard for that level). And just beat the Phase speedrun at 24.62 (#87 on the leaderboard).

Probably the only two I'll be able to do, but I'm proud of myself :lol

You mean by nearly a second to spare? Jumpan's challenge time is 38 seconds. I managed 36-something yesterday.

And you should be able to beat the first one (Leap of Faith), so that will be three (same as me). I can't imagine beating the last two.

Durante

I just figured out how to get all the pieces in "Elevator Action". This game is amazing.

I do see why some are concerned about the price though, I've played for maybe 4 and a half hours and I'm only missing a single piece now. If you compare purely by the numbers I got a lot more value from downloadable games like PQ or PJM. However, I don't think such a comparison is valid at all.

Chinner

Banned
NZNova said:
Don't read this shit if you don't want your shit spoiled.

There is a youtube video you can see. She fucking explodes. Quite literally. There's a cool effect where she flickers into existence in several spots at once and then - booooom. That, and the line about standing tall and radiating fury, the bunker, the sons of bitches line make me think this guy has the meaning of this story absolutely spot on.
Just checked out the yutube. Thats pretty awesome. I knew the story was deeper than just the whole creepy stalker angle

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
story:
i really can't believe people are buying into this atom bomb theory. there's one book in the epilogue that refers explicitly and extensively to the atom bomb. there's an isolated line in another book about a bunker and frosted glass. this represents the sum-total of braid's bomb content, and the bomb theory makes an impressive but ridiculous attempt to fit the rest of the story to this one narrow aspect of it. you have to disregard 90% of the text and the entire game to believe it.

look, ask yourself this: why would a time-travel platform game tell a story about the atom bomb? where's the relationship between form and content? it's difficult to imagine anything more perverse and misshapen. if the references to scientific experimentation point to anything specific -- and i'm not sure they do -- i think they point to some time travel discovery that's analogous to the atom bomb in its apocalyptic potential.

as i was saying on another forum: braid isn't nearly as obscure as this specious atom bomb theory makes it seem. i think the key to its interpretation is not the epilogue's bomb references but the phrase 'the princess is in another castle.' what does it mean to be questing after a princess who's always somewhere else? what if there isn't any princess? what if the princess is trying to get away from you? what if the princess is actually something dark and dangerous? gamers are content-obsessed, but braid is more interested in form than content: in teasing the meaning out of old videogame tropes, in making the prefatory text for each world refer both to relationships and game mechanics, etc

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just did the star ending as well and WOW.

It's so awesome. Basically the entire ending changes. The journey itself isn't futile - that, with enough effort and patience, the princess can ultimately be attainable. The fact that the last star REQUIRES you to break the last level's timing just shows how much power Tim has to change the ending. The fact that he did this all through gameplay is absolutely genius.

If you haven't already, definitely go for the stars.

NZNova

drohne said:
story:
i really can't believe people are buying into this atom bomb theory. there's one book in the epilogue that refers explicitly and extensively to the atom bomb. there's an isolated line in another book about a bunker and frosted glass. this represents the sum-total of braid's bomb content, and the bomb theory makes an impressive but ridiculous attempt to fit the rest of the story to this one narrow aspect of it. you have to disregard 90% of the text and the entire game to believe it.

look, ask yourself this: why would a time-travel platform game tell a story about the atom bomb? where's the relationship between form and content? it's difficult to imagine anything more perverse and misshapen. if the references to scientific experimentation point to anything specific -- and i'm not sure they do -- i think they point to some time travel discovery that's analogous to the atom bomb in its apocalyptic potential.

as i was saying on another forum: braid isn't nearly as obscure as this specious atom bomb theory makes it seem. i think the key to its interpretation is not the epilogue's bomb references but the phrase 'the princess is in another castle.' what does it mean to be questing after a princess who's always somewhere else? what if there isn't any princess? what if the princess is trying to get away from you? what if the princess is actually something dark and dangerous? gamers are content-obsessed, but braid is more interested in form than content: in teasing the meaning out of old videogame tropes, in making the prefatory text for each world refer both to relationships and game mechanics, etc

I disagree. The atom bomb story fits too well to ignore. Let's see, the mention of Manhattan, the bunker in the desert, the observing through welder's glass, the DIRECT QUOTE of the 'now we are all sons of bitches' line.

Imagine you'd just spent years researching the nuclear bomb and saw it unleashed before you. When faced with such total devastation, wouldn't you wish you could undo what you'd just done - put the nuclear genie back in the bottle? Undo the mistake you'd just made but retain the knowledge of what you'd done? Learn from the mistake and avoid the "punishment" altogether?

He worked his ruler and his compass. He inferred. He deduced. He scrutinized the fall of an apple, the twisting of metal orbs hanging from a thread. He was searching for the Princess, and he would not stop until he found her, for he was hungry. He cut rats into pieces to examine their brains, implanted tungsten posts into the skulls of water-starved monkeys.

Ghostly, she stood in front of him and looked into his eyes. “I am here,” she said. “I am here. I want to touch you.” She pleaded: “Look at me! But he would not see her; he only knew how to look at the outside of things.

Scientific experimentation. The search for the mysteries of the atom - the atoms that are right there, right in front of our eyes all the time, but we can't see them because we can only see the outside of objects, not their internals (ie, their atomic components).

On that moment hung eternity. Time stood still. Space contracted to a pinpoint. It was as though the earth had opened and the skies split. One felt as though he had been privileged to witness the Birth of the World…

Someone near him said: “It worked.”

Someone else said: “Now we are all sons of bitches.”

More DIRECT QUOTES from people involved in a nuclear explosion.

She stood tall and majestic. She radiated fury. She shouted: “Who has disturbed me?” But then, anger expelled, she felt the sadness beneath; she let her breath fall softly, like a sigh, like ashes floating gently on the wind.

She couldn’t understand why he chose to flirt so closely with the death of the world.

That first paragraph sure sounds like a nuclear explosion and the resulting mushroom cloud to me. How can it be any less subtle? I know, how about making the Princess an actual literal bomb that explodes if you actually do manage to touch her?

I could go on but the link from before says the same thing. It all fits so well, too well to be a coincidence.

rhino4evr

firehawk12 said:

It's so awesome. Basically the entire ending changes. The journey itself isn't futile - that, with enough effort and patience, the princess can ultimately be attainable. The fact that the last star REQUIRES you to break the last level's timing just shows how much power Tim has to change the ending. The fact that he did this all through gameplay is absolutely genius.

Ok, sounds like I have to go for all the stars.

but NO ONE has answered my questions....Where are they? Are they visible? Are they only visible after your first playthrough? I never saw any stars the first time through.

HolyStar

Banned
Only thing I wish is that this game was slightly longer. That, and maybe have a few platform-centric levels. I know it is a puzzle game and all that, but still.

Sean

Banned
Brakara said:
You mean by nearly a second to spare? Jumpan's challenge time is 38 seconds. I managed 36-something yesterday.

And you should be able to beat the first one (Leap of Faith), so that will be three (same as me). I can't imagine beating the last two.

Yeah you're right - thought it was 40 seconds for Jumpman, was really 38.

I though Leap of Faith would be impossible (it was the first one I tried and gave up after finishing like 1:20). But I just tried it again and beat it on my first shot. One of the things I was doing wrong before was jumping off the ladder into each gap so the goomba doesn't kill me - but you can climb from the bottom to the third part (puzzle piece area).

Took me a few tries but I beat Crossing the Gap (47:10) too. If I can find my digital camera I'll record my run, it's honestly not that hard after you know what to do. Impassable Foliage though I can't see myself beating in 1:30, I always screw up on the guiding two goombas through the three piranha plants part.

drohne

NZNova said:
On that moment hung eternity. Time stood still. Space contracted to a pinpoint. It was as though the earth had opened and the skies split. One felt as though he had been privileged to witness the Birth of the World…

Someone near him said: “It worked.”

Someone else said: “Now we are all sons of bitches.”

More DIRECT QUOTES from people involved in a nuclear explosion.

She stood tall and majestic. She radiated fury. She shouted: “Who has disturbed me?” But then, anger expelled, she felt the sadness beneath; she let her breath fall softly, like a sigh, like ashes floating gently on the wind.

She couldn’t understand why he chose to flirt so closely with the death of the world.

that much -- from one book and its alternate version -- is in clear reference to the atom bomb. and there's the other line about a bunker and frosted glass amid some unrelated stuff. i'm not convinced that anything else is

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rhino4evr said:
Ok, sounds like I have to go for all the stars.

but NO ONE has answered my questions....Where are they? Are they visible? Are they only visible after your first playthrough? I never saw any stars the first time through.

You can get MOST of them at any time.

HOWEVER. If you are getting them, read this first:

Do NOT complete the World 3 puzzle. One of the stars requires you to do something to the puzzle that is not obvious at first and if you complete the puzzle, you cannot get this star.

I'll admit I ended up reading how to get them though. There's only three stars that I MAY have figured out by myself... the other ones? Wow.

rhino4evr

firehawk12 said:
You can get MOST of them at any time.

HOWEVER. If you are getting them, read this first:

Do NOT complete the World 3 puzzle. One of the stars requires you to do something to the puzzle that is not obvious at first and if you complete the puzzle, you cannot get this star.

I'll admit I ended up reading how to get them though. There's only three stars that I MAY have figured out by myself... the other ones? Wow.

is there a star guide somewhere?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
drohne said:
that much -- from one book and its alternate version -- is in clear reference to the atom bomb. and there's the other line about a bunker and frosted glass amid some unrelated stuff. i'm not convinced that anything else is

So you don't think there's a certain theme in the game?

I guess there could be a few different ones, though.

mrlogical

drohne said:

So you get that there are references to the atom bomb throughout the story but you just think that they're a coincidence or not that meaningful? Does Jonathon Blow just strike you as the sort of unpretentious fellow who wouldn't tell his story in anything but a straightforward manner? What do you think the game is about then? Do you think that it's a coincidence, or that there are a bunch of different themes being referred to or what? I had a hard time believing it at first, but given the number of quotes and references in there (two quotes, bunkers, frosted glass, science, Manhattan, deserts) that would otherwise be meaningless, I have a hard time thinking of these mentions as coincidence or merely some stray ideas.

drohne

i don't think braid tells the kind of coherent, literal story that people are looking for, no. it's my feeling that the epilogue presents versions of the princess -- of the object of tim's obsessive questing -- that may not be reconcilable. the bomb theory is kind of persuasive when you're reading that forum post, but i don't think it survives contact with the game or the story as the game presents it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
drohne said:
i don't think braid tells the kind of coherent, literal story that people are looking for, no. it's my feeling that the epilogue presents versions of the princess -- of the object of tim's obsessive questing -- that may not be reconcilable. the bomb theory is kind of persuasive when you're reading that forum post, but i don't think it survives contact with the game or the story as the game presents it

I think if someone wanted to make it more convincing, they'd have to tie that with the rest of the game. Not only the books that begin each chapter, but how the puzzles are solved as well.

That said, it's a great close reading of the ending(s) and the epilogue.

rhino4evr

firehawk12 said:
Oh fuck yes. :lol
I played FF4 DS waiting for that one.

you sir are patient. I dont think I would put my self through that.

Just going to watch the ending video instead. Cool though. LOL at all those that say this is a "3 hour game"

Kreed

exfixate said:
What's up with the two green books in each area of the epilogue being the only ones in the game that don't display text when opened? I noticed that only one book stays open at a time -- whichever was the last book you passed by is the only one open. In the second to last area of the epilogue, right before the final screen with the blocks representing each sub-level from each world, there's a platform underneath the three books that can be raised with a lever to the right of it. By standing on the platform, raising it up and lowering it down, and then rewinding time, you can be above the books on the platform. What's the point for this, there's obviously something to it. Sorry for my ignorance if there's an easy solution, and it has already been discussed here, but I really have no clue as to what its purpose is. I thought maybe leaving the red book open and then jumping off of the raised platform would result in something happening, since otherwise the last book passed by/opened is always a green one (You can't jump over the green books to leave them unopened, any way you pass by them makes them open). Also -- you'll have to excuse me, I don't have the game in front of me and this will be poorly described -- what's with the singing voice that starts when you pass by a leafy part to the right of the red book from the first area of the epilogue? It starts high and halts to a low, reverberating tone that, to me, seemingly never ends -- I stood there with my volume turned up in order to hear it for at least ten minutes. However, If you move left or go too far right, it does stop. It's also in the very next area -- with a plant thing on the left of the screen, and also on the left of the small pit you go down in to open the red book for that area -- Tim's behind some bush, invisible. Again, move too far and it goes away.

These peculiarities in the epilogue left me with the distinct feeling there was more to be discovered. Like I said, I haven't gone through any of this thread, so if I've missed out on discussion for all this stuff, sorry. I did go looking at GameFA*S (don't know if this site's banned, or whatever) and barely looked through this thread earlier today in search of post-epilogue discoveries. I read about the eight stars, which I'm (obviously) guessing get filled in the constellation hanging before you get to World 2 and Tim's house. Do people know where all eight are? Have people gotten all eight, and if so, did anything happen? I noticed a shed sitting below the dangling constellation, was hoping maybe it opened and revealed some more back-story. I also saw a brief mention of the blocks in the last area of the epilogue either changing after finding stars, or something to that degree. Also, does anything happen if you beat every speed run? Thanks for any information!

The green books, the singing voice, and the red books are part of the "epilogue game" of sorts. When ever you open the red book, text is displayed on the screen, and when you hit the green books the text disappears. But, the red books also have alternate text that displays when ever Tim cannot be seen and is facing away from the red books (this is when the singing voice activates). In each section of the epilogue you can get alternative text from the red books by doing this, which reveals more of the story.

As for the eight stars, they have all been found and they do fill the constellation. When you get all 8, the stars causes a "symbolic picture" to appear in the constellation. But before that, if you get 7 stars and replay level 1 (the final level) again, the level sequence between you and the princess is altered so that it's actually possible to get up to the top level. I'll leave the rest unspoiled so you can see what happens if you want to attempt it. Just note that you'll probably have to start a new game in order to get one of the first 7 stars, as one star requires you to "play around with the puzzle pieces" and if you completed all your puzzles, you can't "play with the pieces".

The speed runs are just for the achievements/leader boards.

Kreed

firehawk12 said:

But the princess blows up! How is that obtainable?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rhino4evr said:
you sir are patient. I dont think I would put my self through that.

Just going to watch the ending video instead. Cool though. LOL at all those that say this is a "3 hour game"

God, the stars took me about 6 hours to get, including that 2 hour wait. And that's knowing exactly what to do.

I think it's worth it though, especially if you're one of the people who think the ending is the best thing ever. Getting the stars will just blow your mind. I don't think watching it conveys the same meaning as actually playing it yourself and figuring out what's happening in the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kreed said:
But the princess blows up! How is that obtainable?

I took that as a moment of transcendence. By reaching the princess, he can actually move beyond obsessing about her. That's why the final star is in her bedroom, the place you can't get to when you play the ending normally. He reaches her and then moves beyond her.

At least that's my interpretation based on some of the World introductory text.

rhino4evr

Ok...just watched the
alternate ending
, WOW, this game kicks so much ass. I may try for the stars afterall. Looks like ill be restarting.

Shogun

Hmm I had a whole different take on it, I sort of got this weird boy with an overprotective mother has his mom pass away, then starts losing it, looking for some higher purpose. Eventually starts stalking women ( looking for the princess ) and this is him sorting it out afterwords in his head, replaying it over and over.

Rlan

While I love Braid a whole lot and love the idea of "breaking" the game in order to get the starts, there is no fucking way I'm going to wait 90 minutes to watch a cloud go by :p

Love the ending ending though, spoilers and all.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
andrewfee said:
Note: contains picture of the solved puzzle for that world: Braid 2-2, #2/3

If I remember correctly, the piece you need is in the next room.

:O

OK, consider me wowed. I Would never have found that using my own smarts.

rhino4evr

Shogun said:
Hmm I had a whole different take on it, I sort of got this weird boy with an overprotective mother has his mom pass away, then starts losing it, looking for some higher purpose. Eventually starts stalking women ( looking for the princess ) and this is him sorting it out afterwords in his head, replaying it over and over.

I think the game can have several "meanings" like most Art, you only understand it based on your own perception and understanding. It's all subjective.

Gowans

wow at all the
8 stars and the way you have to think outside of the game even more to get them, alternate ending also is really interesting.

Top Bottom