• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

dejay

Banned
I played Braid for a couple of levels last night and then watched Scarface. Later that night I had a dream about work, which I often do, but it involved Tony Montana and time manipulation. I kid you not - all night I was in a half doze stressing about supplying a boat to Tony and he'd start shooting and I'd somehow rewind time and I'd try again. If it wasn't so freaky and if I wasn't so tired right now I'd think it was fucking awesome.

rhino4evr

RiskyChris said:
Can someone answer this question yes/no about the last level?

Is it possible to get on the top area with the princess?

YES.

PS - I just watched the video walkthroughs of all the Stars. HOLY SHIT, these are so well hidden. Im surprised anyone found them

rhino4evr said:
YES.

PS - I just watched the video walkthroughs of all the Stars. HOLY SHIT, these are so well hidden. Im surprised anyone found them

Thanks, going to keep trying <3

I still haven't used a hint in this game (except
start over
, but that's kind of a gimmie, a mulligan).

GhaleonEB said:
Chris Remo said:
Haha, well done. Indeed, I was owned!

On another note, here are my impressions of Braid that I wrote up the other day after completing it:

http://chrisremo.com/bloggin/2008/08/09/braid-a-game-by-jonathan-blow/

I wasn't crazy about (most of) the narrative, but I did love the game enormously on balance. Here's an excerpt:
Good review. While I enjoyed the writing a bit more than you did, I couldn't agree more with this passage:
This gripe hardly detracts from Braid’s overall experience, especially because the game’s most gut-level emotional impact remains intact even if you don’t read through the excerpts of its many tomes. Part of this is because the fundamental thrust of the narrative is present regardless, part of it is due to David Hellman’s unbelievably gorgeous artwork, and mainly it is thanks to the overall strength and coherence of Blow’s overall vision for the project.
I think at least part of the reason why the narrative is so murky is because Blow is more interested in creating an emotional experience rather than a narrative one. I couldn't follow the story most of the way through, but I could pick up on the threads of buried memories, regrets and longing for companionship. These are universal emotions, and I think are the same reason why the gameplay is built on universally understood gameplay mechanics (to the point of deliberately referencing the most famous origin of them).

The gameplay often reinforced the emotional context and the art and music complete the experience. So while the story remains vague, I now associate the game with a specific set of emotions - which is not something most games do to me, even with a clear, intelligent narrative.
Missed your post the first time around.

Yes, I completely agree with your elaboration. I would say, though, that I think the heavily bookended nature of the text delivery (it's all in big clumps, totally separate from the main gameplay) slightly detracts from the overall nature of the seamless emotionally-driven experience. BUT, again, its successes so far outweigh that issue that it doesn't create much of a sticking point for me.

I'm also extremely impressed with what appears to be the "solution" to the story, which someone linked here and which I won't spoil. It is sort of frustrating though that I never would have found it on my own--even reading all the spoilers as to how to get all of that content, it seems so oppressively inconvenient that I probably won't ever bother.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/0...rated-xbla-game-ever-around-28-5k-units-sold/

Braid is highest rated XBLA game ever, around 28.5K units sold

Posted Aug 11th 2008 5:00PM by Richard Mitchell
Filed under: News

After only a few days on the market, the time bending platform puzzler Braid has been tearing up the critical charts. According to the official Braid blog, the game is now the highest rated Xbox Live Arcade game yet released. It currently holds a 92 average on Metacritic and 93 on Game Rankings. According to Metacritic, Braid is in fact the tenth highest rated Xbox 360 game. The game edges out Mass Effect and is currently tied with Guitar Hero II and Rock Band. With one more percentage point Braid would become the eight highest rated 360 title.

Additionally, the official Braid blog reports that the ******** estimate that the game has sold about 28.5 thousand units "seems to be in the right neighborhood" but adds that "a lot more" will be needed before the game becomes profitable.

FrankT

Sinatar said:
A lot more would be needed to be profitable?

He's sold 30k units @ $15 is 450k gross revenue, his 70% cut makes it 315k. How much could he have possibly spent making this?

That news is from a couple a days ago as I posted it from his Blog. I've updated the sales in here yesterday I believe. it was 46,299 on the MP taking into account free acounts put it around 41,000. From the Wall Street Journal it said he put in 180k of his own money, but I believe he borrowed some as well. The guy that signed BRaid said it cost less than 250K to make however. With those sales minus a liberal 300k in costs there would be a profit now somewhere around 134k. If it cost him 250k, that is 180k of his own money and 70k borrowed the profit margin would be closer to 184k as of yesterday. It has only gone up from there since then.

Quoting from the official Braid blog. May have been posted already, if so I apologize.
However, things are looking promising now &#8212; if Braid keeps selling, I&#8217;ll be able to afford to make the next game, and that will be good.
Awesome.

Thermite

RiskyChris said:
I very quickly figured this out.
I noticed a long time ago that there was a silhouette of a star above her bed.

Ah. Hm..well, I don't how to give another hint without basically telling you how you how to do it.
Just look at the levers and the environment. Don't forget about about the ability to rewind time.
If I say any more the entire puzzle will be spoiled. I may have already said too much.. :p

Edit: Looks like you may have figured it out.

Thermite said:
Ah. Hm..well, I don't how to give another hint without basically telling you how you how to do it.
Just look at the levers and the environment. Don't forget about about the ability to rewind time.
If I say any more the entire puzzle will be spoiled. I may have already said too much.. :p

Edit: Looks like you may have figured it out.

I already had it figured out as soon as
I entered the level and saw green switches. Super easy.

soco

Chris Remo said:
Yes, I completely agree with your elaboration. I would say, though, that I think the heavily bookended nature of the text delivery (it's all in big clumps, totally separate from the main gameplay) slightly detracts from the overall nature of the seamless emotionally-driven experience. BUT, again, its successes so far outweigh that issue that it doesn't create much of a sticking point for me.

i would actually argue that it added to the overall emotionally-driven experience. i think it's the ambiguity that actually adds to the story in this case as it's an extra case for those people interested to invest more time
and spend more time to still end up just as far away from the arguably expected/desired ending
. the ambiguity has allowed for many of the interpretations and relations to people's personal lives that we see here.

the story as it's presented is essentially an additional puzzle, and having it acted out or presented as cutscenes could've potentially reduced some of the ambiguity. plus there's also the connection in terms of Tim's character and what he does. if we believe the story clip in 1-1 about the
work on the bomb
than we understand that we, like him
are essentially studying texts to come closer to a final solution, that we never reach either
. this creates a connection between the character and his trials by putting you through some portion of his life.

maybe that's just reading too much into it though ;)

i dunno, from a game design perspective, i actually prefer the story the way that it is, simply because it's entirely optional and available in the game without any additional work.
and if you need to read the story backwards to make sense of it, you can
;)

Here's the wallpaper I'm using on my Blackberry Pearl (it's 240x260):

2rh7onm.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
soco said:
i dunno, from a game design perspective, i actually prefer the story the way that it is, simply because it's entirely optional and available in the game without any additional work.
and if you need to read the story backwards to make sense of it, you can
;)

Strangely,
you have to finish the game to read the epilogue. There is a funnel in terms of the direction that the narrative goes in.

colinp

Banned
soco said:
if we believe the story clip in 1-1 about the
work on the bomb
than we understand that we, like him
are essentially studying texts to come closer to a final solution, that we never reach either
. this creates a connection between the character and his trials by putting you through some portion of his life.

maybe that's just reading too much into it though ;)

I like that idea a lot actually.

You figure Jonathan must be enjoying us squirm and try to make sense of all of this. This must be one of the joys of creating.

Evander

"industry expert"
Just beat it and restarted.

The whole having to restart in order to get 100% completion (unless you read spoilers before setting out) is the ONE thing keeping this from being a perfect game in my mind.

Evander

"industry expert"
goldenpp72 said:
Nope, that was the first (and only) game I compared it to in my head.

Damn, your confirmation now has me wishing for an updated CC on XBLA, with achievements and all.

CCHD

Oni Jazar

Evander said:
Just beat it and restarted.

The whole having to restart in order to get 100% completion (unless you read spoilers before setting out) is the ONE thing keeping this from being a perfect game in my mind.

You may be missing the point of the game. :p

Evander

"industry expert"
Oni Jazar said:
You may be missing the point of the game. :p

No, I understand exactly what they're getting at with it, but I find it to be a pretty shitty design choice. Essentially, you are penalized for not having read walkthroughs before setting out.

Everything else about the game is golden, but right now I'm
spending a couple of hours in 2-2
all over again, after having done it this morning already. It was kind of exciting the first time, with all of the anticipation, but now it is just a chore.

It would even be alright if the game automatically restarted after the first time you beat it, so that you didn't spend time doing other things which you would end up losing the progress of later, but as it sits, you are just penalized for not having read a walkthrough before playing the first time (as I said earlier.)

Oni Jazar

Evander said:
No, I understand exactly what they're getting at with it, but I find it to be a pretty shitty design choice. Essentially, you are penalized for not having read walkthroughs before setting out.

No. Essentially, you're being an obsessive completionist who should probably spend more time with a significant other then waiting 3 hours for a cloud to go by or losing all your progress to get a meaningless achievement (not XBL Achievement). :)

Not that I blame you. I'd like to 'complete' the game as well, but I wouldn't knock it for trying to make the statement within its own game. It certainly is different :p

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
That news is from a couple a days ago as I posted it from his Blog. I've updated the sales in here yesterday I believe. it was 46,299 on the MP taking into account free acounts put it around 41,000. From the Wall Street Journal it said he put in 180k of his own money, but I believe he borrowed some as well. The guy that signed BRaid said it cost less than 250K to make however. With those sales minus a liberal 300k in costs there would be a profit now somewhere around 134k. If it cost him 250k, that is 180k of his own money and 70k borrowed the profit margin would be closer to 184k as of yesterday. It has only gone up from there since then.
53,000 now.

0_0

Rlan

Incidentily, they actually sent out codes without asking. They sent me one without requesting it.

[I bought it with my own money anyhow]

Evander

"industry expert"
Oni Jazar said:
No. Essentially, you're being an obsessive completionist who should probably spend more time with a significant other then waiting 3 hours for a cloud to go by or losing all your progress to get a meaningless achievement (not XBL Achievement). :)

Not that I blame you. I'd like to 'complete' the game as well, but I wouldn't knock it for trying to make the statement within its own game. It certainly is different :p

Like I said, I understand the "message", but I still think it is shitty game design (losing progress, specifically. I think the cloud is just as great as the rest of the game.)

Unless you want to argue that all of video gaming is entirely pointless, and no one should play games at all, it is a whole lot of posturing, without any real content to the statement. Obviously the creators want people to buy their game, so the idea of them arguing against playing video games is a little silly.

Basically, there is no good defense for ever making a game tedious.

Sean

Banned
Sinatar said:
A lot more would be needed to be profitable?

He's sold 30k units @ $15 is 450k gross revenue, his 70% cut makes it 315k. How much could he have possibly spent making this?

Honestly I think he's just saying that to get fans to continue "promoting" the game (spreading good word of mouth/recommending it etc). People want to see the underdog succeed after all... Then again I'm a cynical bastard so maybe he's actually telling the truth.

Evander

"industry expert"
Evander said:
right now I'm
spending a couple of hours in 2-2
all over again

Alright, so that took more like an hour and a half, for anyone who hasn't done it yet, and wants to know if it REALLY IS two hours.

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
53,000 now.

0_0

Thinking about the dollar figures, the 250k was the publisher budget which is how much they gave him. If Blow had to borrow 180k on his own, that would mean the game cost $430,000 to make.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what's the deal with collecting
stars
?

I've already finished the game, but I don't remember ever coming across one of these items. Where do I even begin?

soco

Evander said:
Basically, there is no good defense for ever making a game tedious.

actually, i'd argue there is.
it could act as a deterrent. a warning that you're gonna have to spend time redoing something entirely plus additional work for no added benefit except to say you 'completed' the game.

What the hell is the problem? Restarting AT WORST is about an hour of 60 puzzle pieces plus 2 hours for that bullshit (which you can spend entirely unattended).

DuckRacer

sykoex said:
I'm so glad this game is likely coming to PSN, I really want to play it.
Why? The game likely won't come to PSN until late 09/early 2010. Just buy the PC version when it comes out in a few months.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Duck said:
Why? The game likely won't come to PSN until late 09/early 2010. Just buy the PC version when it comes out in a few months.
1. It'll probably cost more (see BC:R)
2. I want to play it with the DualShock. I went with the 360 controller for Windows instead of one of the logitech ones. :(

DuckRacer

sykoex said:
1. It'll probably cost more (see BC:R)
2. I want to play it with the DualShock. I went with the 360 controller for Windows instead of one of the logitech ones. :(
The game plays perfectly fine with the 360 controller.

Also, the PC version might have a level creator that'll allow you to create your own puzzles (duh :lol). So if it did cost more, it'd be worth it. And even still, would you really be willing to wait an entire year because of controller preference and a few extra dollars?

Just trust me; get the PC version when it comes out. It'll be all worth it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jack Scofield said:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but what's the deal with collecting
stars
?

I've already finished the game, but I don't remember ever coming across one of these items. Where do I even begin?

There are no obvious clues, but on the other hand, some of the levels train you how to get them.

I posted links that should be a page or so back, so if you need some obvious hints or walkthroughs, there it is.

Top Bottom