• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Sectus

I'm curious, how many here are able to get all the stars without a guide at all? Figuring out stuff like
restarting game and not completing world 3 or waiting 2 hours in a level
seems so far fetched. Did anyone here actually figure that out? If so, you're not a human being. Seriously.

rhino4evr

Sectus said:
I'm curious, how many here are able to get all the stars without a guide at all? Figuring out stuff like
seems so far fetched. Did anyone here actually figure that out? If so, you're not a human being. Seriously.

Well SOMEONE, had to figure them out. So obviously there is at least one total whacko out there.

It's always been amazing to me how many crazy people are able to figure this stuff out.

Sectus

rhino4evr said:
Well SOMEONE, had to figure them out. So obviously there is at least one total whacko out there.

It's always been amazing to me how many crazy people are able to figure this stuff out.
Yeah, it's insane to think that anyone has been able to find them at all. I'm curious how many more than ONE person has been able to find them on their own though.

Zeliard

I know this has been said a million times, but Braid's art style is just stunning. This is what we've all been hoping modern 2D games would look like.

Sectus said:

I almost figured out the broken puzzle one by myself -- I had gotten myself on the ledge inside the house and couldn't figure out what to do.

LiveWire

Does anyone know how to reset a puzzle after you've started assembling? I think I found a bug. I'm almost done with World 5, and in the process of assembling the puzzle one piece was under the rest and after snapping most of the set together, this piece got stuck in space--yet the game considered it part of the completed puzzle. As it stands right now it looks like I can't undo the puzzle and will be unable to complete it (and therefore, will have to start over again). :(

Edit: It allowed me to complete the puzzle after getting the last piece, and I got the achievement, but the one piece is off to the side of the puzzle area. Weird. Fair warning to anyone who's about to play, assemble your pieces far away from each other. :lol

Sectus said:
Borrowing this from another board because I think it makes a good point about what you mention here.

I see the Princess as a symbol of unattainable obsessions, almost unattainable obsessions, and attainable but regrettable obsessions. And a lot of Braid seems to be about what that obsession costs you, what you can get back and what you can't.

The Stars seem almost like a joke on that, showing obsessive gamers just how lost to their quest for completion they are. It's virtually inconceivable that anyone would find that overworld star before they finish World 2, so Braid forces you to sacrifice all the progress you've made to earn just one more empty accolade.

It works both as a "You never get the princess" fable, and as an "Actually, if you're really fucking obsessed with it, you can reach the Princess. But Jesus, look where it gets you and what you lost. Three hours waiting for a fucking cloud. What's wrong with you, man?" fable. A niche genre of fable, but a worthy one.

The medium is the message.

rhino4evr

Gary Whitta said:
Borrowing this from another board because I think it makes a good point about what you mention here.

The medium is the message.

LOL, that's a good point. I know it's not worth my time just for a different ending. I would maybe try it if it wasn't a 2 hour process.

rhino4evr

rohlfinator said:
You don't have to stare at the screen for the full two hours.

No, but I do have to leave it on and check up on the progress. It's silly. I think it's funny, but I choose to spend my time doing other things instead. No biggie if it doesn't bother you, just seems kind of redundant to me.

Quick question about the
Stars. I decided to go after them, but I'm wondering if there is a quicker way to get the star in 2-2. Or is there an exact time I have to leave the game on for? I don't want to leave my 360 idle for that long.

rhino4evr said:
No, but I do have to leave it on and check up on the progress. It's silly. I think it's funny, but I choose to spend my time doing other things instead. No biggie if it doesn't bother you, just seems kind of redundant to me.
Sure, understandable. I'm just pointing out that it's not really as time-consuming as it initially sounds. You'd probably spend more of your actual free time trying to find the others.

GhaleonEB

rhino4evr said:
LOL, that's a good point. I know it's not worth my time just for a different ending. I would maybe try it if it wasn't a 2 hour process.
I had the same thought that Gary posted. I think there's supposed to be some point that in a game built on the premise of an always available rewind, to chase down an object of (empty) obsession you sit there wishing for a fast-forward. And wishing, and wishing and wishing.....

sonicmj1

GhaleonEB said:
I had the same thought that Gary posted. I think there's supposed to be some point that in a game built on the premise of an always available rewind, to chase down an object of (empty) obsession you sit there wishing for a fast-forward. And wishing, and wishing and wishing.....

But there is a fast-forward. Just hit the right bumper a bunch of times when you're rewinding.

I wonder if there's any way to use that to help your runs.

soldat7

firehawk12 said:
You can get MOST of them at any time.

HOWEVER. If you are getting them, read this first:

Do NOT complete the World 3 puzzle. One of the stars requires you to do something to the puzzle that is not obvious at first and if you complete the puzzle, you cannot get this star.

I'll admit I ended up reading how to get them though. There's only three stars that I MAY have figured out by myself... the other ones? Wow.

Oh crap

Seriously? What if we've already completed the World 3 puzzle? Is there really no way to get this star??? I'm assuming if not then I'll just have to start a new game...

clav

soldat7 said:
Oh crap

Seriously? What if we've already completed the World 3 puzzle? Is there really no way to get this star??? I'm assuming if not then I'll just have to start a new game...
No other way. Start a new game.

Oni Jazar

I think Pentadact said it best on QT3 *spoilers*:

[spoilers]"I see the Princess as a symbol of unattainable obsessions, almost unattainable obsessions, and attainable but regrettable obsessions. And a lot of Braid seems to be about what that obsession costs you, what you can get back and what you can't.

The Stars seem almost like a joke on that, showing obsessive gamers just how lost to their quest for completion they are. It's virtually inconceivable that anyone would find that overworld star before they finish World 2, so Braid forces you to sacrifice all the progress you've made to earn just one more empty accolade.

It works both as a "You never get the princess" fable, and as an "Actually, if you're really fucking obsessed with it, you can reach the Princess. But Jesus, look where it gets you and what you lost. Three hours waiting for a fucking cloud. What's wrong with you, man?" fable. A niche genre of fable, but a worthy one."[/spoilers]

:)

Oni Jazar said:
I think Pentadact said it best on QT3 *spoilers*:

"I see the Princess as a symbol of unattainable obsessions, almost unattainable obsessions, and attainable but regrettable obsessions. And a lot of Braid seems to be about what that obsession costs you, what you can get back and what you can't.

It works both as a "You never get the princess" fable, and as an "Actually, if you're really fucking obsessed with it, you can reach the Princess. But Jesus, look where it gets you and what you lost. Three hours waiting for a fucking cloud. What's wrong with you, man?" fable. A niche genre of fable, but a worthy one."

:)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12346651&postcount=2008

firehawk12

Subete no aware
soldat7 said:
Oh crap

Yeah, you have to start over, unless someone else figures out another way.

GhaleonEB said:

That might be right. But, of course, I think most people will either just leave their system to do something else and check in once in a while.
At the very least, it could be as someone said, a joke - sort of like that Penn and Teller 8 hour bus driving game... or a comment on obsessiveness.

Personally, I think the reward you get is definitely worth it though

GhaleonEB

firehawk12 said:
That might be right. But, of course, I think most people will either just leave their system to do something else and check in once in a while.
At the very least, it could be as someone said, a joke - sort of like that Penn and Teller 8 hour bus driving game... or a comment on obsessiveness.

Personally, I think the reward you get is definitely worth it though
What's the reward? I didn't think there was one, other than the filled in constellation and the sense of accomplishment.

rhino4evr

GhaleonEB said:
What's the reward? I didn't think there was one, other than the filled in constellation and the sense of accomplishment.

the ending is different
. you can view it on YouTube if you are interested.

Sectus said:

I had no idea they were even there until I started reading the spoilered sections in this thread and read
the alternate ending spoiler.
:mad:

sangreal

sonicmj1 said:
But there is a fast-forward. Just hit the right bumper a bunch of times when you're rewinding.

I wonder if there's any way to use that to help your runs.

I used that feature a lot (really helpful for those places where
you use time to manipulate the plants to let goombahs by
), but its not actually fast forward. It doesn't take you past the point where you hit the X button

Chinner

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The reward is as follows (spoilers, like):
A different ending. You manage to meet the Princess, and then she explodes. The effect is quite nice on the screen. Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NyXbHEAoU

Those who have not finished and and are tempted to click the link above. Do not.

rhino4evr said:
the ending is different
. you can view it on YouTube if you are interested.

Just to confirm I'm not missing anything you are talking about
Princess blowing up when you collect last star in world 1-1?
, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MirageDwarf said:
Just to confirm I'm not missing anything you are talking about
Princess blowing up when you collect last star in world 1-1?
, right?

I think that's only part of it though.

The solution to the last star is as much part of the "joy" I got to the ending as much as the ending itself, if not more so.

firehawk12 said:
I think that's only part of it though.

The solution to the last star is as much part of the "joy" I got to the ending as much as the ending itself, if not more so.

I agree. Got all of them. It was fun. No way I could have found locations so got help in that but even after knowing their locations, trying to reach there was fun.

sonicmj1

sangreal said:
I used that feature a lot (really helpful for those places where
you use time to manipulate the plants to let goombahs by
), but its not actually fast forward. It doesn't take you past the point where you hit the X button

I know there's the pause thing. But if you press the right bumper more, it goes to 1X, then 2X and so forth. Of course, you're in rewind mode, so you can't do anything. It'll probably undo your rewinds, though.

I'm just unsure if it makes everything around you go faster forward as well. I'll need to experiment myself.

sangreal

sonicmj1 said:
I know there's the pause thing. But if you press the right bumper more, it goes to 1X, then 2X and so forth. Of course, you're in rewind mode, so you can't do anything. It'll probably undo your rewinds, though.

I'm just unsure if it makes everything around you go faster forward as well. I'll need to experiment myself.

Yeah, thats what I'm saying... it lets you move back and forth in time after you hit x, but time doesn't move past the point where you hit X. so if you just hit x and move it to 8x forward, nothing happens, it just pauses.

also, you can use the triggers instead of the bumpers (more comfortable imo)

BenjaminBirdie said:
How do you even start with these?

See this:

firehawk12 said:

sonicmj1

sangreal said:
Yeah, thats what I'm saying... it lets you move back and forth in time after you hit x, but time doesn't move past the point where you hit X. so if you just hit x and move it to 8x forward, nothing happens, it just pauses.

also, you can use the triggers instead of the bumpers (more comfortable imo)

Oh.

That sucks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BenjaminBirdie said:
But I mean what prompts you after you finish? I guess I should check the links.

Oh, nothing at all - in fact, you can get them on your very first playthrough.
The only hint you get is from the fact that you walk past the night sky on your way into the house.
Look at the banner on the first page and you'll notice some stars in the sky.

firehawk12 said:
The only hint you get is from the fact that you walk past the night sky on your way into the house.

Yeah, I did see those. I'll have to look into all...this.

firehawk12 said:

Only if you get it before
assembling puzzle in world 3.

Top Bottom