• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

LCfiner

woohoo! finally beat it! :D

I was surprised how tough some of the platforming timing was in world 1.
There was some massive yelling and swearing going on in my house trying to jump on goombas a millions times in a row as they moved backwards into their cannons. Holy hell that was annoying

And I totally didn't expect the mechanics of the second half of the level Braid. just hit X to get the entire opening. Brilliant.

Meier

Hah, turns out I won 1000 points from the GTA IV sweepstakes some months ago... just got the email last week (never check the one my XBL account is tied to). Suppose it makes the price of Braid a bit more bearable.

Bernbaum

LCfiner said:
woohoo! finally beat it! :D

There was some massive yelling and swearing going on in my house trying to jump on goombas a millions times in a row as they moved backwards into their cannons. Holy hell that was annoying

And I totally didn't expect the mechanics of the second hlf of the level Braid. just hit X to get the entire opening. Brilliant.

The ending sequence. Pure brilliance.

Brakara

LCfiner said:

That part of the level has a much neater solution that doesn't require pixel perfect timing. In fact that goes for the whole game, if you're trying to make pixel perfect jumps (and such), there's a much more elegant solution available.

Making my way through world 6... Only gave up on two puzzles so far, Crossfire and Out of Reach. Only complaint is that... Well, those two seem bloody impossible.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Son of Godzilla said:
Edit: Okay, nevermind. This game is goddamn easy when you stop trying to force things and just deduce what you should be doing.

That's the most amazing thing about it. Jon Blow's walkthrough really is the only one you should be using - you don't need someone to tell you how to do it. And if you get stuck, just walk away for a couple hours and come back to it. Getting frustrated should never be part of the experience.

Well that was... an ending.

Game peaks *way* too early. World 6 should have been stuck ahead of 4 & 5. Even if it is harder, it's a lot less interesting a game mechanic.

I loved it, but it's so damn short I kinda feel the $15 sting. The weak ending didn't help, I really wish World 1 was more fleshed out.

FrankT

Son of Godzilla said:
Well that was... an ending.

Game peaks *way* too early. World 6 should have been stuck ahead of 4 & 5. Even if it is harder, it's a lot less interesting a game mechanic.

I loved it, but it's so damn short I kinda feel the $15 sting. The weak ending didn't help, I really wish World 1 was more fleshed out.

Did you get the stars? Replay and get the stars for the challenge of it and a slight twist on the ending. Also adds a decent amount of replay value.

Jtyettis said:
Did you get the stars? Replay and get the stars for the challenge of it and a slight twist on the ending. Also adds a decent amount of replay value.
I'm gonna guess that I didn't. Because I have no idea there were any to get.

LCfiner

Brakara said:
That part of the level has a much neater solution that doesn't require pixel perfect timing. In fact that goes for the whole game, if you're trying to make pixel perfect jumps (and such), there's a much more elegant solution available.

really? Oh man. Maybe my problem is just that I'm really twitchy with the thumbstick and always move around too much in midair, missing my intended landing target and forcing lots of rewinding. This is true for pretty much any jump I had to make in the game.

LCfiner said:
really? Oh man. Maybe my problem is just that I'm really twitchy with the thumbstick and always move around too much in midair, missing my intended landing target and forcing lots of rewinding. This is true for pretty much any jump I had to make in the game.
I think for the jump you were talking about you just spawn two goombas from the first cannon, ride one up to the very top, then jump from platform to 2nd to other platform. Easy as pie. Why there's the same level twice in a row, I have no idea.

Anyways, I searched for some info on the stars or whatever. Just judging by the first one I saw they look really poorly implemented. I think I'm sticking by my assertion that the game is too damn short.

FrankT

Son of Godzilla said:
I think for the jump you were talking about you just spawn two goombas from the first cannon, ride one up to the very top, then jump from platform to 2nd to other platform. Easy as pie. Why there's the same level twice in a row, I have no idea.

Anyways, I searched for some info on the stars or whatever. Just judging by the first one I saw they look really poorly implemented. I think I'm sticking by my assertion that the game is too damn short.

They are not poorly implemented at all as matter of fact I had a more challenging time with many of those than a lot of the puzzle pieces, which just made the experience that much more amazing. I was reluctant to restart, but I'm glad I did.

Jtyettis said:
They are not poorly implemented at all as matter of fact I had a more challenging time with many of those than a lot of the puzzle pieces, which just made the experience that much more amazing. I was reluctant to restart, but I'm glad I did.
Sitting in a level for two hours doing nothing? When there's a perfectly fine Fast Forward option that got used for like one freaking puzzle in the entire game? I didn't look at the other ones, but that kind of negligence should be punishable.

FrankT

Son of Godzilla said:
Sitting in a level for two hours doing nothing? When there's a perfectly fine Fast Forward option that got used for like one freaking puzzle in the entire game? I didn't look at the other ones, but that kind of negligence should be punishable.

1 out of 8. Yea I agree with you on 1, hence many. I actually had to do that one twice due to the fact I didn't know I had to start anew so I felt the pain that much more.

LCfiner

Son of Godzilla said:

Yeah, it's definitely my (lack of) thumb control skills. It took me almost 10 minutes of failed attempts to make those 2 jumps :lol

I'm still going over in my head some of the puzzles. Especially world 4. the last time I was so mentally invested in a game was Portal. I get this incredible warm and fuzzy feeling from playing these games.

Pure Genius Concentrate in a can.

PhatSaqs

Banned
http://braid-game.com/news/

Here are some numbers:

As I write this, there are 62,242 entries on the main leaderboards. I don’t have official sales numbers for the full week, but I would guess about 55,000 people have bought the game so far.
Sales are now slower than they were on launch day, but not too much: the sales didn’t just die after the first few days, as they do with some games. As a result, it looks like I will be able to make the next game, without needing to get a job that would interfere with that. (The estimated sales so far of 55,000 are not enough for this, but extrapolating into the future, the situation looks safe). Thank you, once again, for making that possible.
Awesome news and congrats to J. Blow.

GhaleonEB

PhatSaqs said:
http://braid-game.com/news/

Awesome news and congrats to J. Blow.
Great news. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't given him sales numbers yet. I assumed they'd at least get weekly sales updates. How often does MS send over the developer cut of the sales?

Regardless - that really is great news. 55k in one week is very strong for an XBLA game. Hopefully it has legs and keeps on chugging.

LCfiner said:
Yeah, it's definitely my (lack of) thumb control skills. It took me almost 10 minutes of failed attempts to make those 2 jumps :lol

I'm still going over in my head some of the puzzles. Especially world 4. the last time I was so mentally invested in a game was Portal. I get this incredible warm and fuzzy feeling from playing these games.
I wouldn't blame yourself, it's the most glaring (well, outside of Braid) example of the Why Arent-You-Playing-Like-How-I-Want bullshit that ruins a few puzzles.

Jw1zzman

amazing ending

here's an explanation to the story (which is amazing)

at first I was in the: while it's a good game, it's not worth 1200 but 800 camp
now I'm in the: it's worth 1200 IF you intend to finish it.

as for it's difficulty: It's very rewarding to figure out a puzzle after staring and trying stuff for half an hour. it also makes it into an 8 hour game.

Son of Godzilla said:

The other 7 are SUPER fun to try to find. All of them have really interesting solutions. I found all of them by myself except for the house one.

LCfiner

Son of Godzilla said:
I wouldn't blame yourself, it's the most glaring (well, outside of Braid) example of the Why Arent-You-Playing-Like-How-I-Want bullshit that ruins a few puzzles.

I wasn't at the time. I was blaming the game in loud, vulgar howls of anger :)

Just beat it. The game seems to have multiple levels of meaning to it. Now I need some help understanding the ending. From what I gather
he turned out to be a stalker? I'm just wondering if he was a time traveling maniac who had a crush, or just a crazy person inventing a make believe world to interact with.

ravien56

playing through this game now, Im trying to get all the puzzle pieces from world 2 before I start 3 but some of them seem impossible, like the 1 with the moving platform with the key door on the right, and the key is on the left in a tight position...should I just ignore what I cant get because ill learn something I dont know in a different world?

Oni Jazar

mh56 said:
playing through this game now, Im trying to get all the puzzle pieces from world 2 before I start 3 but some of them seem impossible, like the 1 with the moving platform with the key door on the right, and the key is on the left in a tight position...should I just ignore what I cant get because ill learn something I dont know in a different world?

No you can get every puzzle piece without having to backtrack worlds.

mh56 said:
You technically don't need to backtrack, but if you're getting frustrated it can help to move on to something else and come back to it with a fresh mind.

Oni Jazar

alisdair said:
I'm passing along the message below, as requested.

-----------------------------------------

Hello there. lewismistreated from the Rllmuk forum here. I signed up for a Neogaf account a couple of days ago, but I’m still waiting on the second activation mail that will actually let me post. For now, this guy here is being kind enough to pass on my voice through his account. Which is cool, because I’d like to join in with what’s being discussed.

I'll spoiler box most of this, just so I don't ruin anyone's day or something.

This is probably the single biggest issue me and my friend had when we started making the case, with the quite obvious dilemma that, at certain points in the game, the ‘Princess’ is referred to in a variety of different situations, all differing in tone and meaning. Take one of the pre-world books from ‘Time and Mastery’ for example;

3. Time and Mastery
All those years ago, Tim had left the Princess behind, He had kissed her on the neck, picked up his travel bag, and walked out the door. He regrets this, to a degree. Now he’s journeying to find her again, to show he knows how said it was, but also to tell her how it was good.

Doesn’t sound much like the researching and testing of an atomic bomb, right? The problem is, no single depiction of the Princess works in the way you’ve described. While the post that I wrote does draw a lot of its evidence from the epilogue texts, there are instances in the main game that support either the reading of the Princess as something of a multiple metaphor, the presence of a female character openly referred to as being someone other than the Princess, or both these things. Take Time and Decision;

5. Time and Decision
She never understood the impulses that drove him, never quite felt the intensity that, over time, chiselled lines into his face. She was never quite close enough to him – but he held her as though she were, whispered into her ear words that only a soul mate should receive.

Over the remnants of dinner, they both knew the time had come. He would have said: “ I have to go find the Princess,” but he didn’t need to. Giving a final kiss, hoisting a travel bag to his shoulder, he walked out the door.

Through all the nights that followed, she still loved him as though he had stayed, to comfort her and protect her, Princess be damned.

What can be said for both these blocks of text however, is the relation they share in the event of the Tim leaving – note the mention of the travel bag in both sections, which is either clumsy writing (which I doubt) in that two different separations are being described so similarly, or not a coincidence at all, with the same event being mentioned twice, once as it’s happening and again from a future perspective. It’s this that I think gives us grounds to take the interpretation of the Princess as different things in different instances; he left the Princess behind in the first passage in the terms of a relationship, and refers to the Princess in the second as the focus of his dedicated voyage, despite the female presence remaining outside of this. After that section in Time and Mastery, as well as two other instances;

For a long time, he though they had been cultivating the perfect relationship. He had been fiercely protective, reversing his mistakes so they would not touch her.

4. Time and Place
This improvement, day by day, takes him ever-closer to finding the Princess. If she exists – she must! – she will transform him, and everyone.

6. Hesitance
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness, It’s a sign of ceaseless devotion: even if he will never find the Princess, he will always be trying. He still will wear the ring.

These all sound more adaptable to what my friend and me outlined. The idea of a man so devoted to a single cause that he will revert any mistakes possible so as to keep the object of his focus out of the hands of others, of people who may wish to take it away from him.

But as I said, these are just the pieces that correlate with a lot of what’s contained within the epilogue. My argument is that there’s simply too much contained in the epilogue books too ignore; things like the quotations from Lifton and Bainbridge would seem like very odd things to throw in for just a single piece of text on a single screen. The correlations these have with the books leading up to it throughout the game are the ones I wanted to focus on, and I think that they can be made without risking shoehorning. Even the little things, like the "Your Country Needs You" WWII era poster shown in the World 5 painting, go some way to linking these two elements.

Also, as I stated at the started of the post that I wrote, the splitting of the female passage into three distinct voices, at three different times allows for the ‘Braid’ theory in the first place – that of three separate strands interwoven to make one distinctive pattern. The Princess as bomb, and the Princess as spurned partner could work through this (just don’t ask me for the third… we hear the story of the child looking through the candy store window, but his guardian is never alluded to as fitting the Princess role).

Anyway, I’ll give this guy his account back now. Hopefully I’ll be able to post on my own soon enough.

Excellent post. I think that the themes of Braid should require further analysis. I'm glad someone has finally tried to incorporate the title of the game into the main theme. I keep coming back to the word Braid. I know it's used literally at least twice (as a hair braid) in the game text, and also the gameplay twists time, enemies and objects together like a braid, but how the title ties with the notions of obsession, loss and regret escapes me - unless it's of course those three notions themselves 'braided together' ha!

soul creator said:
didn't the
platform inside of the puzzle
require a little bit of backtracking? I don't remember off hand.

Yes but that was in the same "world". Also that is the only instance of backtracking (one which could have been avoided if they just put those pieces earlier).

Wizpig

soul creator said:
didn't the
platform inside of the puzzle
require a little bit of backtracking? I don't remember off hand.
Yes, that's the one and only puzzle in the game that requires backtracking.
Just press "BACK", in that case.

GhaleonEB

Johnathan Blow posts a LOT in the responses over at the Braid Blog. More than in the blog posts themselves, actually. And it's all worth reading.

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=323#comments

Some interesting insights:

I am in talks with a couple of online publishers. I haven’t resumed talks with Steam (I tried talking with them about the game back two years ago, and again last year, but the conversation didn’t go well). Now the Braid is a hit on XBLA, though, they will probably be more interested. Regardless of whether Steam is interested, there’s another publisher who is very interested, so Braid will get out there.

Yes, a PC release is coming up (my current estimate is in October, but if I get it done sooner then that, great). Hopefully the PC release will reach a significantly-sized audience. However, my expectation is that the Xbox Live Arcade version of Braid will bring in most of the money. If you look at the sales numbers for PC indie games, they are all right, but tend to be lower than what’s on XBLA.

However, now that the game has been released on XBLA and gotten good reviews, this may help it come to the attention of more people on the PC, as opposed to being a random indie game tossed out there.

But, to give you guys an idea of how things might go, when I talked to a major publisher last year about selling Braid on the PC, they estimated that it would sell less than 5,000 copies. That matched some other figures I had seen at the time. (I know of a game that was an IGF award winner and got a lot of press, and had sold about 5,000 copies at that time. Since then, new options opened up for those guys and they have sold another 5,000, which is cool.)

I think that the publisher I talked to would have a higher sales estimate now. But hopefully these numbers clarify to people why I released on XBLA first.

It will certainly get more sales now that it's made some noise on XBLA.

Great news about Blow being able to move ahead with development in the future.

Kreed

Does anyone know if there's any significance to
the princess' mail box having the numbers "6980" written on it? Since the game seems to have all sorts of hidden details, those numbers must have a meaning to them. I found some stuff on the Gamespot forums about the Mona Lisa painting and LHOOQ, but nothing on the mail box.

Mudron

braid_moppet_sm.jpg

I'm just posting this because I think that Tim looks like one of Dr. Girlfriend's Muderous Moppets.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
GarthVaderUK said:
Interesting stuff from Johnathan Blow there.
Nice to see Braid is doing good numbers, pity the talks with Steam didn't go well.

I think Steam tends to be a little more open to indies working through a publisher. Eternity's Child, for example, is on Steam through Alten8. I'd assume that it would have had no chance of getting on there if it was self published.

Granted, that's maybe because it's not very good.

alistairw said:
I think Steam tends to be a little more open to indies working through a publisher. Eternity's Child, for example, is on Steam through Alten8. I'd assume that it would have had no chance of getting on there if it was self published.

Granted, that's maybe because it's not very good.
A lot of Steam games don't have publishers. Audiosurf comes to mind.

Vanish

wait whats this about stars? collect all 8 and it gives you a secret ending? where can i find the list of where to find them? i tried gamefaqs but they dont have a list for all 8

Sean

Banned
Wizpig said:
That sucks.
But, wait, you actually have to get all the puzzle pieces for that speed run?
In 45 mins?!
How's that even possible?

Yep you need every piece, otherwise the game can probably be beaten in like 10 minutes by just running to each door. But yeah it's hard as hell, only around 200 people (out of 60,000) have completed the speedrun so far.

Sean said:
Yep you need every piece, otherwise the game can probably be beaten in like 10 minutes by just running to each door. But yeah it's hard as hell, only around 200 people (out of 60,000) have completed the speedrun so far.
200 out of 60,000 isn't really representative of anything, since not nearly all of those 60,000 have completed the game at all, and of course a smaller number than that have attempted a speed run.

Chris Remo said:
200 out of 60,000 isn't really representative of anything, since not nearly all of those 60,000 have completed the game at all, and of course a smaller number than that have attempted a speed run.
Plus there are probably plenty of people like me that never even logged into Braid while online.

Top Bottom