• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

broz0rs

I hit consecrated as well. Finished 191-5. Man, that was a grind.

If you encounter an all Imp team, that one is mine.

TimeKillr

So according to Reddit, we're getting the dark Soul Bound Saga unit in the RS today.

The problem? He's complete shit, so you probably shouldn't waste your gems on it! :)

Code:
Hadaron's stats:
Lord: HP 4200 ATK 1480 DEF 1345 REC 1200
Max imp bonuses: HP 400 ATK 160 DEF 160 REC 160
LS: Boosts Atk and Def relative to unit's remaining HP (50% def/140% atk proportional to HP lost)
Hit count: 7 (drop check count 2/hit)
BB (Cost: 23): 7 combo Dark elemental attack on all enemies & adds Poison and Weaken effect to attack for 3 turns (170%, 18% weaken/poison, 7 bc gen)
Evo mat (4* > 5*): Miracle Bulb, Dark Bulb, Dark Totem, Dark Idol, Bat Mimic

Heartless Hadaron's stats:
Lord: HP 5420 ATK 1677 DEF 1561 REC 1400
Max imp bonuses: HP 500 ATK 200 DEF 200 REC 200
LS: Large boosts to Atk and Def relative to unit's remaining HP (60% def/170% atk proportional to HP lost)
Hit count: 9 (drop check count 2/hit)
BB (Cost: 24): 9 combo powerful Dark attack on all enemies & adds Poison and Weaken effect to attack for 3 turns (220%, 20% weaken/poison, 9 bc gen)

Netherking Hadaron
LS: Greatl boost to Atk and Def relative to unit's remaining HP & 20% boost to Atk of all allies (70% def/200% atk proportional to HP lost)
6* BB: 13 combo powerful Dark attack on all enemies & adds Poison and Weaken effect to attack for 3 turns
6* SBB: 16 combo powerful Dark attack on all enemies, adds Poison and Weaken effect to attack for 3 turns & casts stealth on self for 1 turn; while stealthed, unit gains a huge boost to crit chance

Poison and Weaken are cute, I guess (Poison is very niche and works against some bosses, but Weaken is crap), super low drop checks, his new mechanic, Stealth, is completely useless, his LS is the opposite of Zurg (it's completely useless since you never want to be low HP, so it's crap)... Don't waste gems.

Corgi

Banned
yeah, its a bit odd that the dark unit is complete shit lol.

with the LS being the opposite of zurg, so its shit in Arena.

why gumi.

Christmas batch was kinda crappy too.

sad, with how good and interesting the first 2 soul bound saga dudes are, and the post update halloween batch (semira pretty much makes half the dragon slayer batch useless. I have zero use for my priscilla :( )

TimeKillr

yeah, its a bit odd that the dark unit is complete shit lol.

with the LS being the opposite of zurg, so its shit in Arena.

why gumi.

Christmas batch was kinda crappy too.

sad, with how good and interesting the first 2 soul bound saga dudes are, and the post update halloween batch (semira pretty much makes half the dragon slayer batch useless. I have zero use for my priscilla :( )

Yeah it's weird. It seems Gumi doesn't have a good sense of game balance - they either come out with units that are completely OP or complete shit. It's like one way or the other, nothing that says "This is good, but not OP".

Corgi

Banned
Yeah it's weird. It seems Gumi doesn't have a good sense of game balance - they either come out with units that are completely OP or complete shit. It's like one way or the other, nothing that says "This is good, but not OP".

on the other hand, alim been really lazy with the past few batches. Shit feels super safe. Balancing and designing new units are hard, so lets just rehash the same abilities and increase the stats a little.

I honestly find game balance pretty pointless for this style of game because who the hell would spend real money for not OP unit unless your some weird collector thing going on. So ideally every unit would be OP in their own way. I currently pretty much have 2-3 units of every 'archetype', so im pretty much only rolling for unique stuff.

Currently the biggest issue i have with the game is how useless 90% of the LS are. It's either maxwell, hp buffer, or BB buffer.

TimeKillr

on the other hand, alim been really lazy with the past few batches. Shit feels super safe. Balancing and designing new units are hard, so lets just rehash the same abilities and increase the stats a little.

I honestly find game balance pretty pointless for this style of game because who the hell would spend real money for not OP unit unless your some weird collector thing going on. So ideally every unit would be OP in their own way. I currently pretty much have 2-3 units of every 'archetype', so im pretty much only rolling for unique stuff.

Currently the biggest issue i have with the game is how useless 90% of the LS are. It's either maxwell, hp buffer, or BB buffer.

The thing with a lot of the newer batches (especially Fiora's batch and Elza's batch) is that they manage to encourage squad diversity by giving some units multiple buffs (Kuda with +crit and +atk, for example) so you can put more stuff in your squads - you can go Crit/ATK/BB/elements, for example, and it opens up slots for more diversity. The problem is that buffs are coded wrong and overwrite each other all the time, so it creates a lot of unit clashing problems - Maxwell's 30% crit buff will overwrite Kuda's 40% crit buff, for example, if the BB is used after Kuda's, so some units do not work well together in teams and it ends up discouraging squad diversity. It's kind of strange, really.

The other big problem BF has it that 2 of the 4 main stats are *completely* useless. DEF and REC are absolutely, ridiculously stupid and barely have any effect on anything unless buffed to insane levels, and this is a major problem with their initial design of the combat system (there's nothing to do about it now). DEF is useless because it doesn't really do anything - on-demand mitigation is much more important, because nothing boosts DEF significantly enough to make a difference. REC is the same issue - you have healers who will simply bypass any REC by healing other characters, making REC pretty useless. Even Tridon's REC boosting LS is useless, because yes your characters heal by much more, but when you need a Tridon in your team, you also either have a dedicated healer in your team (making REC useless) or you don't need healing whatsoever since you're one-shotting everything.

REC also has another problem in that it's MUCH better to increase HC drops than increasing REC. Extra HC drops will heal for much more than REC increases, and since HC are randomly assigned (they can go to full health ppl, I've seen during my Maxwell fight some characters with low HP not getting a single HC and full HP characters getting assigned HCs) it's always better to have more of them rather than more REC.

I'm not sure what they can do to fix that at this moment, sadly. DEF could be fixed by making it more potent, but doing that is dangerous because then the DEF leaders would become OP, making the issue snowball to the point of having to redesign a lot of stuff. It would also make a lot of bosses completely trivial - if they don't heal at a regular pace or have infinite angel idol buffs (like Maxwell) then you're never in any danger. REC I don't know what could be done, really. It's just luck of the draw with REC - it doesn't increase survivability like it should, really. It's a stopover from copying PAD with it's recovery stat where it's actually important because you have a shared HP pool, not a per-character pool, so high REC is actually useful.

So for now, the only LS being useful are, as you said, stuff that increases survivability a lot (HP/mitigation leaders) or increase damage potential (Maxwell/BB spam skills).

Essentially, all my friends now are either Maxwell, Tridon, Zelnite or Elza leaders. Absolutely *nothing* else, because everything else is just not competitive.

Xetherion

Def isn't useless. It scales poorly compared to Atk, but it definitely still helps. Take a glass cannon team of like all Mifune or Mega or something and see how much Def matters.

The reason people think Def is useless is because 50% mitigators are OP as fuck and never should have existed. New content has to be designed with them in mind, so in order to be challenging the enemies have to do such absurd damage that Def boosts simply can't keep up. The only hope is they start giving more enemies attacks that remove buffs before they hit, making mitigation useless and allowing enemy damage to be balanced to where Def LS/spheres would help.

broz0rs

What was Gumi thinking when they designed that LS? Perhaps the designer is a big fan of Dark Metatron from P&D lol. With any HC drop rate buff such as Zelnite's, health gets refilled substantially every round. Besides who wants to attack with low health in this game anyway

Corgi

Banned
What was Gumi thinking when they designed that LS? Perhaps the designer is a big fan of Dark Metatron from P&D lol. With any HC drop rate buff such as Zelnite's, health gets refilled substantially every round. Besides who wants to attack with low health in this game anyway

especially with content reaching the point where mobs can 1 hit your units at full hp with mitigation up.

No reason to dance around low hp, unless the boost in damage is substantial... like 1000%.

TimeKillr

Def isn't useless. It scales poorly compared to Atk, but it definitely still helps. Take a glass cannon team of like all Mifune or Mega or something and see how much Def matters.

The reason people think Def is useless is because 50% mitigators are OP as fuck and never should have existed. New content has to be designed with them in mind, so in order to be challenging the enemies have to do such absurd damage that Def boosts simply can't keep up. The only hope is they start giving more enemies attacks that remove buffs before they hit, making mitigation useless and allowing enemy damage to be balanced to where Def LS/spheres would help.

That's the problem, really - DEF is useless because the mitigators do such a better job than the DEF increasing LS/BBs. The problem is competitiveness. If you have a choice between increasing damage mitigation by 30% constantly or 50% on-demand, you'll always want the on-demand one because of how the bosses are designed and how the AI/RNG calculates who to attack. If they made bosses that constantly switched targets and did enough damage to be unable to heal with just HC but did that damage every single turn so that you can't mitigate and heal on-demand at specific breakpoints, it could be useful, but they don't have that sort of content yet. Even then, you could theorically have a healer and a mitigator and have them alternate turns between healing and mitigating so that you'd always be safe (it's not hard to have Ulkina up every 2 turns and Darvanshel up every 2 turns, *especially* if there's a Lilly in the mix).

The other problem, too, is that DEF doesn't seem to scale properly. In normal situations, +30% HP and +30% DEF should end up giving you the same effective health - you have 30% more HP or you mitigate 30% more damage, in the end it comes to the same, but since they scale differently, +30% HP is typically more beneficial than +30% DEF since healing is abundant. If healing wasn't as abundant (through HC and healing BBs) then +30% DEF would probably end up being better simply because it's much easier to heal up when you take less damage, which would actually increase the value of healing much more. The math is simple:

Take baseline 1000HP. +30% HP means you're at 1300HP.

If you take a hit for 1000 damage, the difference is
With 30% HP: HP is at 300, difference from max is 1000
With 30% mitigation: HP is at 300, difference from max is 700

700 HP is easier to heal than 1000 HP.

The problem is that in this game, they are converting a DEF value into a %-based damage reduction (I think - in PAD it works in reverse, DEF absorbs damage until you hit it's DEF value, then the damage is not resisted at all). We know this isn't the case from seeing how DEF is calculated for metal enemies. What makes the 50% mitigators so powerful is that they reduce damage by half regardless of your DEF - the calculation is essentially Damage Taken / 2, which is crazy because the DEF threshold to reach that is most likely either *massive* or even impossible to reach.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm hope they open up the trials for retry sometime. Quite curious how my breaker shera would do compare to my anima darvanshel.

chrono01

Oh look. Another Soul Bound character with no information on the 6* evolutions of Rin/Len. I have 38 Magic Gems and 5 Summon Tickets just waiting.

Why do you do this, Gumi?

broz0rs

I wish that Thief Leon vortex would open up again so I can craft Aegis Cloak.

Speaking of Aegis Cloak (330% Def up for first two turns), would it work on Borgeous's SBB? (7 combo powerful Dark attack on all enemies, adds Poison and Curse effect to attack for 3 turns & boosts own Atk relative to one's Def)

desverger

Finally got my Ultor to 6*!

I'm just wondering if I should use him as a leader or not. Currently I have a 6* Ciara as a leader, she gives 65% atk to fire/water/earth/lightning units and a bonus damage to weak elements, while Ultor gives 50% atk and def to everyone and has the same weak element bonus.

I guess Ciara is still better for normal content if I'm not using light/dark units?

Xetherion

Finally got my Ultor to 6*!

I'm just wondering if I should use him as a leader or not. Currently I have a 6* Ciara as a leader, she gives 65% atk to fire/water/earth/lightning units and a bonus damage to weak elements, while Ultor gives 50% atk and def to everyone and has the same weak element bonus.

I guess Ciara is still better for normal content if I'm not using light/dark units?

No, Ciara only gives you 15% more Atk, Ultor gives you 50% more Def and 15% crit chance. Even if you don't need the Def i'd take 15% crit over 15% atk any day.

Corgi

Banned
You really don't need his SBB. The shield on his regular BB has only ~180 less hp and def than his SBB shield.

would want to use SBB for when all 3 dudes are on screen for the BC generation if I can.

will play around anyhow.

hope we get to retry trials. Think that was added with this trial for jp.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just for shits, I decided to reinstall this on my phone. I gotta say, the Facebook backup thing was fucking magical. I really appreciate how easy that was to do. Came back with [what used to be] a pretty decent box of monsters.

Here's my current "top units":

yopgLEP.jpg

Has the game changed too much for me to be able to work with what I have? And what exactly should I be doing to get started with understanding where I left off? Sorry for the vague questions...

broz0rs

None of those units are viable except for the dark and light unit on the bottom (Shida and Heidt), but they are not worthwhile until they are at their six star form. It will be best to roll for newer units.

Kreed

Just for shits, I decided to reinstall this on my phone. I gotta say, the Facebook backup thing was fucking magical. I really appreciate how easy that was to do. Came back with [what used to be] a pretty decent box of monsters.

Here's my current "top units":

Has the game changed too much for me to be able to work with what I have? And what exactly should I be doing to get started with understanding where I left off? Sorry for the vague questions...

As broz0rs mentioned, the dark (Shida) and light (Heidt) units at the bottom are your most viable followed by Douglas (the earth unit at the top), and Lidith the earth unit above Heidt. All 4 are only really good once they hit 6 star however. Elimo, the third water unit on the second row, is still a good healer unit.

Otherwise the rest of your units are team filler until you can summon more "current" units. You can consider starting over as broz0rs mentioned, but honestly with Shida in your roster (who is very useful in his 6 star form), I'd just earn gems and summon better units.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As broz0rs mentioned, the dark (Shida) and light (Heidt) units at the bottom are your most viable followed by Douglas (the earth unit at the top), and Lidith the earth unit above Heidt. All 4 are only really good once they hit 6 star however. Elimo, the third water unit on the second row, is still a good healer unit.

Otherwise the rest of your units are team filler until you can summon more "current" units. You can consider starting over as broz0rs mentioned, but honestly with Shida in your roster (who is very useful in his 6 star form), I'd just earn gems and summon better units.

Alright cool, thanks.

Bummer since Alice and Lorand used to be pretty good. :| I'll just play with what I have then. I have 2x Shida and 2x Heidt, so I guess I'll work on them.

E: Current units worth trying to recruit?

Corgi

Banned
Alright cool, thanks.

Bummer since Alice and Lorand used to be pretty good. :| I'll just play with what I have then. I have 2x Shida and 2x Heidt, so I guess I'll work on them.

E: Current units worth trying to recruit?

pretty much all current units are viable. Only must have's are 'damage mitigators' which are units that have BB/SBB for 1 turn half all damage against your party.

darvanshel
shera
narza
oulu

Kreed

pretty much all current units are viable. Only must have's are 'damage mitigators' which are units that have BB/SBB for 1 turn half all damage against your party.

darvanshel
shera
narza
oulu

Adding onto what Corgi said, these units are currently considered "great" for unique abilities that they have:

Lily Matah
Tridon
Ulkina
Exvehl
Zelnite
Hogar
Duel-SGX
Ultor
Mariudeth
Rowgen
Tree
Melchio
Elza
Fiora
Orna
Lucca
Kuda
Arus
Dilma
Ardin
Ragshelm

Ideally you should save your gems until rates are up for the units Corgi listed and/or the units above, but since you're still early in the game it wouldn't hurt to just try your luck anyway, especially since gems are much easier to get now.

Also make sure you hold onto Weiss, Zephu, Vargas, and Selena. They'll be getting upgrades soon that will make them more useful (Vargas and Selena getting 7 star forms).

TimeKillr

Adding onto what Corgi said, these units are currently considered "great" for unique abilities that they have:

Lily Matah
Tridon
Ulkina
Exvehl
Zelnite
Hogar
Duel-SGX
Ultor
Mariudeth
Rowgen
Tree
Melchio
Elza
Fiora
Orna
Lucca
Kuda
Arus
Dilma
Ardin
Ragshelm

Ideally you should save your gems until rates are up for the units Corgi listed and/or the units above, but since you're still early in the game it wouldn't hurt to just try your luck anyway, especially since gems are much easier to get now.

Also make sure you hold onto Weiss, Zephu, Vargas, and Selena. They'll be getting upgrades soon that will make them more useful (Vargas and Selena getting 7 star forms).

Let me expand a bit on this and explain some choices (and why some aren't that good, honestly, now).

Lilly Matah: Useful on very hard content, but doesn't seem that necessary (I cleared Maxwell with dual Tridon, and he's by far the hardest content the game has at the moment).

Tridon: Insanely strong, *BUT* comes with a huge caveat: unless you can evolve him to 6*, he's useless. It sucks to pull him now because who knows when the dungeons will be up again to get Hydraloid.

Ulkina: Best healer in the game. Rejoice if you get her, she's ridiculously strong.

Exvehl: Okay. Not as good anymore due to Ulkina, at least Anima has a ton of HP.

Zelnite: OP character. If you get him, you win. Zelnite and Maxwell are the 2 best leaders in the game for regular content (Tridon wins for super hard stuff, but otherwise Zelnite is perfect).

Hogar: Powerhouse but sadly bugged (BC gen on SBB is bugged). No clue when he'll be fixed. :(

Duel-SGX: Not that useful anymore due to Kuda which rolls the crit buff with a great ATK buff (you do need Amanohabakens for this to work, but it's totally farmable).

Ultor: Niche unit, and currently in the same boat as Tridon, unable to evolve him past 5*. He's very gimmicky, though.

Mariudeth: Very good nuker, and 45% crit buff at SBB10 is awesome.

Rowgen: Best boss killer in the game bar none. You get Rowgen, give him spark damage buffs and he's unstoppable.

Tree: Good healer. Ulkina is much better, though.

Melchio: Used to be good. Now, meh. He's still useful, but there's much better units out there.

Elza: Incredible 30 hit SBB + 70% Spark damage buff makes her very, *very* strong.

Fiora: Good for FH. Otherwise meh.

Orna: Same as Fiora - good for FH, otherwise men.

Lucca: Like Fiora and Orna, except he's actually more powerful than the other 2, making him much better.

Kuda: Staple of crit teams. 40% crit buff and 100% atk buff makes him verrrrrry strong.

Arus: Boss killer like Rowgen, but less damage potential due to having multiple hits. Rowgen is much better.

Dilma: Excellent earth unit, still very competitive.

Ardin: Same as Fiora/Orna. Great for FH (my FH team, for farming, is typically Zelnite lead + Fiora + Lucca + Ardin to cover all 5 elements, then an Elza for lots of hits).

Ragshelm: Great HP for anima, not so bad BB/SBB. He's good, just not essential.

It's mostly been covered, now :)

Corgi

Banned
dungeon for stealth man is out.

cakewalk, but beware of him stealthing at low hp and attacking 2-3 times. Kuda died lol.

should be easy pessy with dual maxwell for the elemental boost (crit restance like most global content).

Am I the only one that really doesn't use Maxwell much? Like we get content so infrequently might as well take your time and see all there is to see with boss mob patterns instead of just cheesing and nuking them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the all the info guys. I'll just work my way through the current content, try to rank up, and level my Shida's.

Question on friends...Do only your active friends show up? I have a few friends who haven't played in 200+ days with leads that boost dark or BB gauge fillers; will they show up? Whatever the case, if anyone has room for a lowbie like me, m ID is 130812447

Kreed

Thanks for the all the info guys. I'll just work my way through the current content, try to rank up, and level my Shida's.

Question on friends...Do only your active friends show up? I have a few friends who haven't played in 200+ days with leads that boost dark or BB gauge fillers; will they show up? Whatever the case, if anyone has room for a lowbie like me, m ID is 130812447

Your inactive friends will still show up, but obviously friends who are active to give you gifts and put up more useful leads are better (in particular look for Maxwell, Elza, Tridon, or Zelnite leads with Super Brave Bursts).

Also note that many of our suggestions for "better units" are for making the hardest content in the game much easier, similar to PAD with Descended Dungeons. In the case of Brave Frontier, this means Frontier Hunter, Trials in the Summoners' Research Lab, and newer Vortex dungeons (Grand Gaia for example). Quest mode for example hasn't gotten more difficult since you were playing and many new maps can still be run with mono element squad leads like Alice and Lorand. Just do not attempt the Bonus stages you unlock after finishing an entire World until you get better units.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Your inactive friends will still show up, but obviously friends who are active to give you gifts and put up more useful leads are better (in particular look for Maxwell, Elza, Tridon, or Zelnite leads with Super Brave Bursts).

Also note that many of our suggestions for "better units" are for making the hardest content in the game much easier, similar to PAD with Descended Dungeons. In the case of Brave Frontier, this means Frontier Hunter, Trials in the Summoners' Research Lab, and newer Vortex dungeons (Grand Gaia for example). Quest mode for example hasn't gotten more difficult since you were playing and many new maps can still be run with mono element squad leads like Alice and Lorand. Just do not attempt the Bonus stages you unlock after finishing an entire World until you get better units.

Alright fantastic, thanks.

Another question that popped up...How important is ranking up? Like, I've been running the light lightbulb (?) Vortex dungeon over and over because it gives me 3k XP and lets me rank up relatively quick. Should I focus on getting ranks and stam now, or just power through the quests?

Oh and one final question (for now) - leveling your units. I don't have a lot of zel (like, 150k), and feeding the crap I get from dungeons seems like a total waste. How are you supposed to get XP for them?

Xetherion

Let me expand a bit on this and explain some choices (and why some aren't that good, honestly, now).

I really don't know how you come up with some your information/opinions TK. In the interest of keeping people from being misinformed i've clarified some of the units further.

Lilly Matah: Useful on very hard content, but doesn't seem that necessary (I cleared Maxwell with dual Tridon, and he's by far the hardest content the game has at the moment).
She is by far the best unit for maintaining BB gauges in single target fights.

Tridon: Insanely strong, *BUT* comes with a huge caveat: unless you can evolve him to 6*, he's useless. It sucks to pull him now because who knows when the dungeons will be up again to get Hydraloid.
They just rereleased the dungeons with the evo mats for Tridon/Ultor last week, a month after Tridon's initial release. I'd say they will likely keep opening these dungeons regularly. More specific info on why Tridon is good: His LS gives 30%hp and 10% dmg reduction regardless of element, along with 50% Rec and 15% crit chance, and his S/BB give a shield (extra hp bar) to the party.

Zelnite: OP character. If you get him, you win. Zelnite and Maxwell are the 2 best leaders in the game for regular content (Tridon wins for super hard stuff, but otherwise Zelnite is perfect).
I wouldn't call him OP, but just a very good all-around unit in almost any situation. His LS and SBB increase the drop rate of literally everything (BC, HC, Zel, Karma, and items), and his S/BB have an effect that gives the rest of the party 8 BC. Works wonders in the top spot of Arena squads thanks to that effect.

Duel-SGX: Not that useful anymore due to Kuda which rolls the crit buff with a great ATK buff (you do need Amanohabakens for this to work, but it's totally farmable).
Older unit that still has highest Crit buff in the game along with Dark element buff and high hit aoe attack.

Ultor: Niche unit, and currently in the same boat as Tridon, unable to evolve him past 5*. He's very gimmicky, though.
See Tridon above, evo mat dungeon likely to be opened every month or two. Ultor's S/BB give him Taunt buff that massively boosts his Def and causes all enemy single target attacks to target him. Also has great LS of 50% Atk and Def, 15% crit chance, and 75% elemental weakness dmg boost. Best offensive leader until you get Maxwell, pairs really well with Maxwell Friends.

Tree: Good healer. Ulkina is much better, though.
Tree can heal and give status prevention at once, Ulkina can't. Other than that Ulkina is better though.

Fiora: Good for FH. Otherwise meh.

Orna: Same as Fiora - good for FH, otherwise men.

Lucca: Like Fiora and Orna, except he's actually more powerful than the other 2, making him much better.
Fiora, Orna and Lucca all give 2 elemental buffs, which is great for Frontier Hunter and still very useful outside of it. Also Orna has second highest crit buff in game of 50%, and a LS similar to Lilly Matah for BB maintenance against single targets. Don't see why you think Lucca is more powerful than the others, he has an Atk buff which is not that important in the grand scheme of things and definitely less important than a 50% crit buff.

Arus: Boss killer like Rowgen, but less damage potential due to having multiple hits. Rowgen is much better.
Last sentence is silly, Arus and Rowgen are very close in damage output. Arus also has an 8 BC fill effect with his regular BB that can save you in a pinch if your mitigator needs a boost to have BB ready. Lilith and Sergio are also good boss killers that just have less damage output due to lower base Atk.

Dilma: Excellent earth unit, still very competitive.
Dilma has high damage, low hit count but high drop checks attacks. His SBB has several hidden innate bonuses like increased crit chance, and it also gives him a Full Restore buff for 3 turns that heals him for 99,999 every turn. If he doesn't get 1 shot, he's not going down. (I recently pulled a 3rd Dilma, and i'm considering keeping him in hopes of eventually making an all Dilma squad for shiggles).

Ragshelm: Great HP for anima, not so bad BB/SBB. He's good, just not essential.
He gives a buff that adds an Injury proc chance to all allies' attacks, and his SBB also has chance to debuff enemy Atk and Def for 2 turns. Injury + Atk debuff makes for good dmg reduction, can be combined with a mitigator to turn enemies' attacks into tickles basically. Also his LS is a nice hybrid of survivability and offense, with 30%hp and atk and chance to ignore def.

Xetherion

Another question that popped up...How important is ranking up? Like, I've been running the light lightbulb (?) Vortex dungeon over and over because it gives me 3k XP and lets me rank up relatively quick. Should I focus on getting ranks and stam now, or just power through the quests?

Oh and one final question (for now) - leveling your units. I don't have a lot of zel (like, 150k), and feeding the crap I get from dungeons seems like a total waste. How are you supposed to get XP for them?

Leveling up gives you higher max Cost, which you will need once you evolve your units, especially to 6*. Once you have enough Cost to run a full 6* team leveling doesn't matter much.

Run Metal Parades to get xp fodder. Get Metal keys to open Metal Parade in Randall (swipe left or right while in home screen). You can get 1 Metal key Monday through Friday, except Wednesday which gives a Jewel key instead. Jewel keys open Jewel Parade for zel farming.

Corgi

Banned
love super fusion rates. And all evo dungeons were open on wed.

so used up all the free crystals from the holidays/commercial events and got like 4 4* to max lvl 6*, 3 of them SBB10, with 2 more to go.

Just bummed I didn't get dilma earlier. He will find use when they release global stuff with high def, but otherwise he's on the bench for other units with better stats. Doesn't seem to offer much synergy with other party members unless I'm missing something.

Xetherion

Dilma has beast stats other than his Def. 6055 hp and 2203 Atk as Lord. His SBB10 has a 580% dmg mod to go with that beast Atk. And he has high drop checks so he's good for BB spam. Low Def doesn't matter when everything's dead.

Corgi

Banned
Dilma has beast stats other than his Def. 6055 hp and 2203 Atk as Lord. His SBB10 has a 580% dmg mod to go with that beast Atk. And he has high drop checks so he's good for BB spam. Low Def doesn't matter when everything's dead.

problem is everything is already dead lol.

Give me content gumi!

TimeKillr

I really don't know how you come up with some your information/opinions TK. In the interest of keeping people from being misinformed i've clarified some of the units further.

Well to be honest it's all my personal opinion. Mind you, I can be totally wrong here, I just figured I'd give my input.

She is by far the best unit for maintaining BB gauges in single target fights.

That she is. I'm not denying that at *all*, I'm just saying that right now, in Global, dual Tridon outclasses Lilly + something else just due to how they can bypass mechanics. The +60% HP is huge, not to mention those shields and constant 20% mitigation. She is still incredibly useful (especially if you don't have Tridon and a good Tridon friend), but I don't think she's still that necessary, considering the only fight right now where she's actually useful is Maxwell as she's not needed at all anywhere else.

They just rereleased the dungeons with the evo mats for Tridon/Ultor last week, a month after Tridon's initial release. I'd say they will likely keep opening these dungeons regularly. More specific info on why Tridon is good: His LS gives 30%hp and 10% dmg reduction regardless of element, along with 50% Rec and 15% crit chance, and his S/BB give a shield (extra hp bar) to the party.

They did reopen those dungeons, but I have very little faith in Gumi actually making this into a regular thing. They practically never do, and we *just* got Bulb dungeon on fridays while there's been units needing Bulbs for a little while. It's just a bit iffy to me, sadly.

And yes, Tridon is incredibly strong.

I wouldn't call him OP, but just a very good all-around unit in almost any situation. His LS and SBB increase the drop rate of literally everything (BC, HC, Zel, Karma, and items), and his S/BB have an effect that gives the rest of the party 8 BC. Works wonders in the top spot of Arena squads thanks to that effect.

The reason I say he's OP is that he's good for arena, he's good for farming (exceptionally good for farming, at that), for good for FH, he's good for bosses... He's good for practically every role except in a crit squad, really.

Older unit that still has highest Crit buff in the game along with Dark element buff and high hit aoe attack.

Yes, but the problem with SGX is that he's clearly outclassed by Kuda. The only true benefit I'd give to SGX over Kuda is that if you use it, you don't need Amanohabakens, but then you want those because of the extra +75% ATK.

See Tridon above, evo mat dungeon likely to be opened every month or two. Ultor's S/BB give him Taunt buff that massively boosts his Def and causes all enemy single target attacks to target him. Also has great LS of 50% Atk and Def, 15% crit chance, and 75% elemental weakness dmg boost. Best offensive leader until you get Maxwell, pairs really well with Maxwell Friends.

I still have to see the Taunt buff being useful outside of very gimmicky uses (like a boss that uses a single-target, super high damaging attack and you give him an Angel Idol). He does pair well with Maxwell friends if you have a team to exploit elemental weaknesses, but his crit buff is pretty low, sadly. At least the ATK buff pairs well with elemental weakness boost.

Tree can heal and give status prevention at once, Ulkina can't. Other than that Ulkina is better though.

That's true.

Fiora, Orna and Lucca all give 2 elemental buffs, which is great for Frontier Hunter and still very useful outside of it. Also Orna has second highest crit buff in game of 50%, and a LS similar to Lilly Matah for BB maintenance against single targets. Don't see why you think Lucca is more powerful than the others, he has an Atk buff which is not that important in the grand scheme of things and definitely less important than a 50% crit buff.

I'll give you that Orna is pretty good - that 50% crit is better than 100% ATK in some cases (especially if you're not building a crit team itself, because then she just gives you absurd crit).

Last sentence is silly, Arus and Rowgen are very close in damage output. Arus also has an 8 BC fill effect with his regular BB that can save you in a pinch if your mitigator needs a boost to have BB ready. Lilith and Sergio are also good boss killers that just have less damage output due to lower base Atk.

Rowgen is strictly better due to it being 1-hit. That's it, really. 1 hit that is very easy to spark, that can be combined with stuff like Batootha and Steeple Rose (not to mention you can stack Elza's buff on top of it) for absurd Spark damage. When fighting Maxwell he was taking out HUGE chunks of her HP every turn, and it made a very big difference. Arus is good, and he's definitely the 2nd best boss killer, but Rowgen is just better, no question. His regular BB adding 8BC fill is nice and can help out in a pinch, but if you do that you end up losing a big chunk of damage.

Dilma has high damage, low hit count but high drop checks attacks. His SBB has several hidden innate bonuses like increased crit chance, and it also gives him a Full Restore buff for 3 turns that heals him for 99,999 every turn. If he doesn't get 1 shot, he's not going down. (I recently pulled a 3rd Dilma, and i'm considering keeping him in hopes of eventually making an all Dilma squad for shiggles).

That would be hilarious, really.

He gives a buff that adds an Injury proc chance to all allies' attacks, and his SBB also has chance to debuff enemy Atk and Def for 2 turns. Injury + Atk debuff makes for good dmg reduction, can be combined with a mitigator to turn enemies' attacks into tickles basically. Also his LS is a nice hybrid of survivability and offense, with 30%hp and atk and chance to ignore def.

Injury doesn't stick on a lot of bosses, AFAIK, and the chance to lower ATK and DEF of enemies is pretty low (30% is kinda sucky). His LS isn't bad, really, but as we discussed earlier in the thread the problem is that there's much better LS, so if you have nothing else you can use him, I guess.

Kreed

Adding onto what Xetherion said about ranking, once you can run a team of 6 stars the only other times rank plays an important factor are with the Trials and some of Gumi's Global exclusive events. In the case of Trials, Trials allow you to run a total of 3 teams against the enemy(s) you're facing. However if your cost isn't high enough, you could be stuck running one team of 6 stars and a bunch of fodder units (when I faced Maxwell I was in the 100+ rankings and I could only make 2 full 6 star teams, with the 3rd just being junk). In the case of Gumi events (ex: Victory Points Tournament), Gumi will put players of similar ranks in brackets for competition, however once you reach a high enough rank they just throw everyone together.

Fodder you get from quests should only be used for leveling your Units BB skills, which I wouldn't worry about until you get your units to 6 star (getting your units to BB lvl 10 will activate their SBB which is your goal, especially for Shida and Douglas who you won't be able to fully utilize until then). You can level your units BB skills now but unfortunately once you evolve the unit, BB skills are cut in half (example if you had Shida at 5 star with BB lvl 10, once evolved to 6 star he would be at BB lvl 5).

Like Xetherion mentioned, for serious leveling you will want to use metal keys and run the Metal Parade dungeon. For money you can run the weekend money dungeons or the Jewel Parade dungeon with Jewel keys. However since you were playing, there have been a couple of changes to the Parades to make them more efficient. Metal Parades now have parades for specific elements in addition to the regular Metal Parade dungeon, so you can focus on a dungeon of your choice. They've also added Crystal Gods, who give 220k+ XP, and the ability to evolve regular Ghosts into Kings (you need 5 Ghosts from the other elements). Pay attention to the Event News in the game as well because Gumi may activate the Super Metal Parade on a given day. Super Metal Parade is 40 energy, but only Kings, Gods, and Crystals will appear (Crystals and Gods appearing at a very high rate). For Jewel Parades, there is a Super Jewel Parade where only Jewel King, God Jewel, and Golden Gods appear (Golden Gods selling for 300k).

Also make sure you save all your honor points for events. Like PAD, Gumi will run Super Honor Summon events where you get much better summons from the honor Summon. Burst Frogs for BB leveling, Sphere Frogs (these are rare so if you get one hold onto it for important units), Imps, Crystal Gods, Metal Gods, etc... These days I do more leveling/get more zel with these events than using Metal Keys

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thank you guys for all the help and info.

I'm sort of at a wall on the main quest progression. I think I need to work on evolving and leveling my units. Also I need to get some stronger friends. I have 9 people on my list right now.

Regarding the metal parades:

• How much stam does a metal parade cost?
  • How long does it unlock for?
  • How much XP does it grant?
I'm thinking of using a few of my stones to refill stam and farm metals to level some of my low stuff and build a few teams so I can make progress and (hopefully) get the stuff needed to evo my guys. I've been running the level 3 zel dungeon on Auto Battle today, and it's been good...I get about 75-100k zel per run.

TimeKillr

Thank you guys for all the help and info.

I'm sort of at a wall on the main quest progression. I think I need to work on evolving and leveling my units. Also I need to get some stronger friends. I have 9 people on my list right now.

Regarding the metal parades:

• How much stam does a metal parade cost?
  • How long does it unlock for?
  • How much XP does it grant?
I'm thinking of using a few of my stones to refill stam and farm metals to level some of my low stuff and build a few teams so I can make progress and (hopefully) get the stuff needed to evo my guys. I've been running the level 3 zel dungeon on Auto Battle today, and it's been good...I get about 75-100k zel per run.

Okay so here's the thing.

Metal Parade costs 15 stamina per run, gives you 1000 xp, and whenever you use a key it'll open it up for an hour.

Never, ever use your stones to refill stam until your stam is WAY higher. It just won't be worth it.

The trick with Metal Parade is to divide your stamina by 15, that'll give you the amount of runs you can do when full. When your XP to level, divided by 1000, is equal to the amount of runs you can do, you start the metal parade, do the max amount of runs, level up to get your stamina back and empty your stamina again.

I'm at 105 stamina right now, so I can run it 7 times. I pretty much always start a metal parade when I'm between 6000 and 7000 XP left to level, and run it 14 times in a row.

Where are you stuck on progression? What is killing you? Are you getting one-shot or are you surviving a few hits?

If you're surviving a few hits, you definitely need to get some of the free healers (there's 2 Light, 1 Earth, 1 Lightning and 1 Water ones) and level them up a bit. They will greatly help, especially for the first few times you run idol and totem dungeons once you need them.

If you're getting one-shot, then that's a problem you need to solve by leveling and evolving your units.

Another trick is as soon as you can reach St. Lamia and do the dungeon called the Four-Fold Pillar, grind that shit whenever you're not sure what to do. The EXP returns are great in this dungeon and you'll be able to rank up in no time, which will help you with your Cost allocation (you'll start to run into problems once you start evolving into 5 and 6 stars - for example, a team of all 6-stars that costs 27 each will need you to be level 117, so...)

I'm not sure that the Soulbound Saga missions will return regularly.

They brought them back recently to coincide with an Ultor/Tridon summon up, which I'd be surprised if the summon up was a regular event either.

Corgi

Banned
which is why everyone should do these vortex dungeons and get the fusion mat, just incase you summon later by accident.

Limit

I never got around to volume 3 GCC quests because I wasn't in the mood of spending gems to get through them but after acquiring maxwell I wanted to try out how good a dual maxwell really is. So towards vargas vol 3 quest I went, and came back in 4 minutes later having utterly steamrolled that dungeon. It was fun in its own way.

And sent a friend request to you nicoga. I switch between maxwell and zelnite frequently. But also have defensive units like Shera and Narza. let me know if you want a particular unit up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I never got around to volume 3 GCC quests because I wasn't in the mood of spending gems to get through them but after acquiring maxwell I wanted to try out how good a dual maxwell really is. So towards vargas vol 3 quest I went, and came back in 4 minutes later having utterly steamrolled that dungeon. It was fun in its own way.

And sent a friend request to you nicoga. I switch between maxwell and zelnite frequently. But also have defensive units like Shera and Narza. let me know if you want a particular unit up.

I appreciate it, thanks. I'll have Shida up once I evo him. Same with Douglas.

Speaking of those higher evos, what tips should I follow when trying to get my first Totems?

I appreciate it, thanks. I'll have Shida up once I evo him. Same with Douglas.

Speaking of those higher evos, what tips should I follow when trying to get my first Totems?

In today's game, to get your first Totem find a friend with Maxwell (or Ultor/Mare if you can't find a Maxwell) and run a couple units the Totem is weak against. But really if you use Maxwell the units you run don't matter, Maxwell can solo any totem.

Top Bottom