• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Phades

Interestingly I have someone on my friends list with a maxed Kik anima and medula gem and his HP is 7059 -.-

A team of characters similarly equipped sounds like they would coast through pretty much everything in the game currently.

Phades

I'm thinking that a 7k+ hp count is really the only instance where you would even want a rec score over 1200. It seems a little silly that the game is allowed to scale even that high. I can imagine two teams built like that hammering away at each other and the round ending in a draw due to not having enough time to deal damage.

Jinko

Oh, so on the (old) subject of Eze, is he a good lightning unit to keep around? I think I have Falna, too, but are there any lightning units much better than Eze right now?

He will be useful again with his 6 star evolve, so worth keeping and slowly levelling.

Pbae

Gahhh, I was not ready to fight two totems T_T

Had to use a gem to finish off the end boss totem. I feel so defeated even though I won.

ReaperXL7

Awesome

screenshot_2014-03-20z7ju7.png

Only problem now is that for the first time my team cost has become an issue, so now it looks like I will be spending sometime leveling before I evolve Sefia, my tree, and Dean.

Also just my luck but I was hunting for Magress, and got Atro from the honor summon. First time I have gotten anything useful from it really.

Draxal

Awesome

Only problem now is that for the first time my team cost has become an issue, so now it looks like I will be spending sometime leveling before I evolve Sefia, my tree, and Dean.

Also just my luck but I was hunting for Magress, and got Atro from the honor summon. First time I have gotten anything useful from it really.

My Anima Aisha is just waiting on four levels to hit 60 and evo as well.

Metal parades haven't been kind to me recently.

Oh snaps! Congrats! Mine is still wearing silver armor, so she'll be a while.

But I'm just one dark totem away from Goth Idol Kikuri, so there's that. =)

ReaperXL7

I've used your Aisha a few times already. Even at level 6, she's buff, lol.

Glad she's been useful for you, I'm being cautious about leveling her too quickly as I'm focusing on working her BB lvl first. She can wipe out most arena teams pretty quickly.

My Anima Aisha is just waiting on four levels to hit 60 and evo as well.

Metal parades haven't been kind to me recently.

Yeah I lucked out and got both a light totem, and a fire totem in one run but now I can't afford to evolve Sefia without going over my team cost by a decent amount.

I feel like people underestimate Guardians to be honest, my team has ended up being all guardians due to luck of the draw and while they don't hit quite as hard as breakers they can take a licking pretty damn good.

Draxal

Glad she's been useful for you, I'm being cautious about leveling her too quickly as I'm focusing on working her BB lvl first. She can wipe out most arena teams pretty quickly.

Yeah I lucked out and got both a light totem, and a fire totem in one run but now I can't afford to evolve Sefia without going over my team cost by a decent amount.

I feel like people underestimate Guardians to be honest, my team has ended up being all guardians due to luck of the draw and while they don't hit quite as hard as breakers they can take a licking pretty damn good.

I think Guardians/Anima are good in pve, while I think breaker with Muramasas are the kings of arena. Lord's decent, and Oracle makes me sad that my Elimo is one.

I'll have to watch that when i get home. Not even sure I retyped that right into my phone. All i could see for sure was someone on a JP game with at least 2 alice (i think) getting paralyzed early on and fighting a lightning totem towards the end? I don't think I saw the right thing.

It looked silly easy though for that guy's team...

Everybody on the team had 8.5k hp, also the guy had two of the broken units (the new event boss, the old man is supposedly insanely op). It's farmable though.

Leader Skill: 20% boost to all stats, and reduces Light and Dark damage received by 15%.
Brave Burst: 13 combo powerful Dark and Light elemental attack to all enemies and buffs all allies with Dark and Light damage for two turns.

Phades

Leader Skill: 20% boost to all stats, and reduces Light and Dark damage received by 15%.
Brave Burst: 13 combo powerful Dark and Light elemental attack to all enemies and buffs all allies with Dark and Light damage for two turns.

Lol what? That just sounds like something made for the lolz, since that is nearly a "run this thing, or lose to it" kind of deal. I'll really need to take a look at that video when I get home. Fighting against that guy in the vortex as a NPC doesn't sound fun at all.

Well, the good news is that it looks like I can handle two totems in one go now. The bad news is that I got another light totem with no dark one in sight. =\

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Evolving 4 aisha, a kikuri and a sephia is a lot of work!

Got 2 Aisha's and the kikuri to 5*, the rest at 4* waiting on more idols.

I'm gonna need loads of metal keys to top these units off.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Old and all but fuck it.

Why does the PVP AI in Arena have to be so terribad. There is nothing redeeming about the shit AI in arena. It is just one big exercise in how many times you can say "what in the fuck is the AI doing?????"!!!

Dreavus

Old and all but fuck it.

Why does the PVP AI in Arena have to be so terribad. There is nothing redeeming about the shit AI in arena. It is just one big exercise in how many times you can say "what in the fuck is the AI doing?????"!!!

Yep.

*Attacks all different targets evenly, perfectly hitting the wrong elements*

*Holds Brave Burst for 2+ turns without using it.*

Old and all but fuck it.

It's bad. They either need to prioritieze Brave Bursts or negate them all together. I can't tell you how many time i've gotten the enemy down to 1 sub when I still have 4 and they use their BB on the first turn possible and crush me while my guys are just sitting there.

It's very frustrating.

Well, the good news is that it looks like I can handle two totems in one go now. The bad news is that I got another light totem with no dark one in sight. =\

I was using gems yesterday trying to get a Dark Totem.

I got 8 freaking Light Totems before I got the single Dark one. All told it was like 20 runs. And the sad part is I really wanted 3 Dark Totems but gave up after one because I couldn't take it anymore.

They really need to make Dark and Light selectable.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's bad. They either need to prioritieze Brave Bursts or negate them all together. I can't tell you how many time i've gotten the enemy down to 1 sub when I still have 4 and they use their BB on the first turn possible and crush me while my guys are just sitting there.

It's very frustrating.

You should still win the vast majority of the fights you initiate, though. Put on some +50% attack spheres and go to work. I think I win about 98 out of 100 matches in PvP. If they would fix the BB AI, they'd need to tone the BB down. A single BB going off = game over.

You should still win the vast majority of the fights you initiate, though. Put on some +50% attack spheres and go to work. I think I win about 98 out of 100 matches in PvP. If they would fix the BB AI, they'd need to tone the BB down. A single BB going off = game over.

Not there yet, still upgrading my Sphere hut :(

Phades

You have a good record going then. Where I am at in the commander rank, I think I win somewhere between 50-60% overall. The topped out Kikuri and other new units have to do some really bad targeting in order to lose against my team. The other, more regular (read older units), built teams I can beat though fairly regularly. Although last week I lost all my matches on Thursday if I recall correctly and nearly dropped enough points to be in a lower rank...

My characters can survive 1 AOE BB, but not two in the same round. If at any point 3 characters attack any single character of mine, they will go down unless they are a weak affinity. Depending on healing (phoenix), they can even withstand 1 AOE BB per round for at least 2 rounds. Additional effects like curse and paralyze are pretty much game over as well, since there is no coming back from that in the time given.

Previously (warrior~tactician) when I saw folks with all wins and no losses, I'd fight them and steam roll them since they were cheating the system by quitting losses by closing the app. Now when I see folks with records like that, they will just steamroll me every time. There really isn't much inbetween unfortunately. I only imagine that it gets worse above commander.

Phades

I was using gems yesterday trying to get a Dark Totem.

I got 8 freaking Light Totems before I got the single Dark one. All told it was like 20 runs. And the sad part is I really wanted 3 Dark Totems but gave up after one because I couldn't take it anymore.

They really need to make Dark and Light selectable.

Were you getting them in pairs or individually? When the idols happen in pairs like that, I always get the one that I didn't want instead.

I got a couple solo light totems as well, but didn't see any dark ones. It makes me wonder if there is shared code between the summon selection and the spawn selection for more "rare" units like that. We were still having boosted light unit summons right?

---------------------

I'm a bit bummed about the frontier hunter though. I was in the top 10k, but missed it because I couldn't play and use my orbs last night. Feels like I wasted a lot of time for nothing. The omni gizmo sounds a lot cooler than a skill or cure bracer.

Oh well. =/ It does make me wonder how those people managed over 200 million points by only doing 4-6 runs...

You have a good record going then. Where I am at in the commander rank, I think I win somewhere between 50-60% overall. The topped out Kikuri and other new units have to do some really bad targeting in order to lose against my team. The other, more regular (read older units), built teams I can beat though fairly regularly. Although last week I lost all my matches on Thursday if I recall correctly and nearly dropped enough points to be in a lower rank...

My characters can survive 1 AOE BB, but not two in the same round. If at any point 3 characters attack any single character of mine, they will go down unless they are a weak affinity. Depending on healing (phoenix), they can even withstand 1 AOE BB per round for at least 2 rounds. Additional effects like curse and paralyze are pretty much game over as well, since there is no coming back from that in the time given.

Previously (warrior~tactician) when I saw folks with all wins and no losses, I'd fight them and steam roll them since they were cheating the system by quitting losses by closing the app. Now when I see folks with records like that, they will just steamroll me every time. There really isn't much inbetween unfortunately. I only imagine that it gets worse above commander.
If you're at over 20k points in Commander, you can start challenging Berserkers, which is what I'm doing now. My rule of thumb is to only challenge people with higher arena ranks than me. That way, if I win, I net almost 200 points, and if I lose, I lose single digits. With the way the AI runs, it's hard to predict whether you'll win or lose (I once got hit with 4 Eternal Fireflies in a single round; yeah, that was that), so it's better to win big and lose small.

Were you getting them in pairs or individually? When the idols happen in pairs like that, I always get the one that I didn't want instead.

I got a couple solo light totems as well, but didn't see any dark ones. It makes me wonder if there is shared code between the summon selection and the spawn selection for more "rare" units like that. We were still having boosted light unit summons right?
Hmm? Totems can't come in pairs. And they always drop when they show up. The problem is you can't choose to have a Dark or Light Totem show up.

---------------------

I'm a bit bummed about the frontier hunter though. I was in the top 10k, but missed it because I couldn't play and use my orbs last night. Feels like I wasted a lot of time for nothing. The omni gizmo sounds a lot cooler than a skill or cure bracer.

Oh well. =/ It does make me wonder how those people managed over 200 million points by only doing 4-6 runs...

They cheated. I think that's why Gumi's giving themselves several days to give out gifts, in order to weed out the obvious cheats.

Phades

If you're at over 20k points in Commander, you can start challenging Berserkers, which is what I'm doing now. My rule of thumb is to only challenge people with higher arena ranks than me. That way, if I win, I net almost 200 points, and if I lose, I lose single digits. With the way the AI runs, it's hard to predict whether you'll win or lose (I once got hit with 4 Eternal Fireflies in a single round; yeah, that was that), so it's better to win big and lose small.

My match up lottery has been crap lately, but I have been following that methodology previously. I tried a few times for a few minutes trying to get a berserker, but didn't hit any and just settled for whatever. Even with the out of rank match ups, I've still lost upwards of 50 points (~43 IIRC), but many of them were 1~9 instead. Enough of those stack together add up. More disapointing are the wins that are less than 200 in those instances.

Hmm? Totems can't come in pairs. And they always drop when they show up. The problem is you can't choose to have a Dark or Light Totem show up.
Yeah I know you can't pick. I can't recall a failed capture either, so I wasn't trying to speculate on that aspect, hence the shared code bit. I don't know why they restricted those to being random, it doesn't make sense in the realm of a video game that mirrors a card game. Even in the instance of card games, arbitrary rarity doesn't make a lot of sense given the mechanics involved as, in many instances, tend to imply better=rare leading to many fallacies that break the systems in the long term.

They cheated. I think that's why Gumi's giving themselves several days to give out gifts, in order to weed out the obvious cheats.
Well yeah, that's what my gut tells me, but my brain gets stuck on the how part since there had to be some kind of updating/authentication going on. At least, I hope there would be... But if so, why design a course that were impossible/near impossible to get max points on for your gift scale? ... /headache ensues

I assume because they wanted people to spend money on gems to get more orbs trying to get those elusive rewards.

End actually wasn't that bad to get the rewards out of if you had access to a single Kikuri. Just keep at it till you got two Voracious gods.

Mid on the other hand you had to get within one wave of the perfect lineup to have a shot, and even that wasn't guaranteed. The number of times I'd do a crit-accidental-kill...:(

I will say one thing, Frontier Hunter made me learn to spark with my eyes closed.

My match up lottery has been crap lately, but I have been following that methodology previously. I tried a few times for a few minutes trying to get a berserker, but didn't hit any and just settled for whatever. Even with the out of rank match ups, I've still lost upwards of 50 points (~43 IIRC), but many of them were 1~9 instead. Enough of those stack together add up. More disapointing are the wins that are less than 200 in those instances.
It looks like the game will limit you to only be able to challenge players with up to 3000 points higher than you (and possibly 3000 below), so you really need to be at 20001 before you see Berserkers. I serendipitously was at exactly 20000, and I was only seeing Commanders and Tacticians, but one win after that, the Tacticians went away, and the Berserkers showed up. With the points gap between ranks getting larger, though, this is going to suck because soon there will be no realistic way to tell if someone with the "same" rank as you has more or fewer points until you're almost at the top of your rank. At that point in Commander, what I did was just guess, based on win:loss ratios, but yeah, you have to be really careful with leaders, too, since you can run into all-Kikuri death squads and stuff.

My rule of thumb for winning most fights is to look carefully at my opponent's leader and level. If his leader is something I'm strong or neutral against, I'm good. If I'm weak against it, I don't challenge. If it's a dark leader, like Kikuri or Magress, I pass, as well. I try to keep my opponent within 30 levels of me.

Once I got to the place where Arena levels were 10k point spreads I actually started a spreadsheet with opponent names so that I could recognize people above me and below me in level, and mark ones that I could not beat and ones I could trounce easily.

Every once in a while someone will radically switch parties, but it has served me rather well otherwise. And as you get higher and higher it gets rarer and rarer to see a new player.

Phades

It looks like the game will limit you to only be able to challenge players with up to 3000 points higher than you (and possibly 3000 below), so you really need to be at 20001 before you see Berserkers. I serendipitously was at exactly 20000, and I was only seeing Commanders and Tacticians, but one win after that, the Tacticians went away, and the Berserkers showed up. With the points gap between ranks getting larger, though, this is going to suck because soon there will be no realistic way to tell if someone with the "same" rank as you has more or fewer points until you're almost at the top of your rank. At that point in Commander, what I did was just guess, based on win:loss ratios, but yeah, you have to be really careful with leaders, too, since you can run into all-Kikuri death squads and stuff.

My rule of thumb for winning most fights is to look carefully at my opponent's leader and level. If his leader is something I'm strong or neutral against, I'm good. If I'm weak against it, I don't challenge. If it's a dark leader, like Kikuri or Magress, I pass, as well. I try to keep my opponent within 30 levels of me.
My "better" matches end up being against folks with higher account levels than me. They tend to sport the older units and I have a better shot at it. Trying to rock, paper, scissors the leader shown has got me burnt a lot though. I'd see stuff like a Titania as lead and think "ok, i'll give this a shot" then be met with a sefia death squad. Just as often as I see a tree (or insert other healer lead here), I'll run into Kikuri death squads as well. There have been times where I had better luck against opposing element leaders that turned out to be rainbow squads instead of a focused team. At times it seems pretty random. I was considering creating a list of names to just avoid, but the seed pool is too big. So, I dunno. I'll eventually crawl my way up to the next teir, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

I assume because they wanted people to spend money on gems to get more orbs trying to get those elusive rewards.
Yeah, carrot/stick mentality (intentional or not). It does nothing to promote users enjoying the game though. It isn't much different in application than EQ's old rare spawn/rare drop camps promoting their subscription fees over time. Fortunately, you aren't competing for the same mobs here, given the nature of instanced games.

End actually wasn't that bad to get the rewards out of if you had access to a single Kikuri. Just keep at it till you got two Voracious gods.

Mid on the other hand you had to get within one wave of the perfect lineup to have a shot, and even that wasn't guaranteed. The number of times I'd do a crit-accidental-kill...:(

I will say one thing, Frontier Hunter made me learn to spark with my eyes closed.
I haz no dark units worth a damn, so it was no dice from the start. That and I kept hitting death god logress on 2nd round which more or less killed any aspiriations I had for trying to clear it. The dragon mimics that followed weren't as big of a deal by comparison, even with only having 3-4 characters left after the logress fight.

The way that the enemies stopped dropping coins/tokens after a couple rounds of being beat on felt distressing, especially against the gluttony king.

My "better" matches end up being against folks with higher account levels than me. They tend to sport the older units and I have a better shot at it. Trying to rock, paper, scissors the leader shown has got me burnt a lot though. I'd see stuff like a Titania as lead and think "ok, i'll give this a shot" then be met with a sefia death squad. Just as often as I see a tree (or insert other healer lead here), I'll run into Kikuri death squads as well. There have been times where I had better luck against opposing element leaders that turned out to be rainbow squads instead of a focused team. At times it seems pretty random. I was considering creating a list of names to just avoid, but the seed pool is too big. So, I dunno. I'll eventually crawl my way up to the next teir, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.
Maybe it's your team composition, then? I have a rainbow-ish team, with 3 members with AOE BBs (Lava, Kikuri, and Eze), a healer (the tree), and a "tank" with lots of HP who just hits and absorbs damage (Agni). I also have Stealth Robe on my healer, just in case. Usually, if two of my AOE guys stick around to pull off their BB, I'm clinch a win.

I also read that, the higher your unit's rarity, the less often it'll use its BB, so I'm considering dropping Agni for 3-star Aisha, just to have some big attack come up as often as possible. 4-star Kikuri and Eze do seem to use their BB a bit more than 5-star Lava, so I think there's something to that.

Phades

Maybe it's your team composition, then? I have a rainbow-ish team, with 3 members with AOE BBs (Lava, Kikuri, and Eze), a healer (the tree), and a "tank" with lots of HP who just hits and absorbs damage (Agni). I also have Stealth Robe on my healer, just in case. Usually, if two of my AOE guys stick around to pull off their BB, I'm clinch a win.
I thought the stealth robe/wise mask didn't work in arena. ... !@#!WDASE

I can't find where I read that at, so I dunno if it was legit or not for someone else to even comment on.

I also read that, the higher your unit's rarity, the less often it'll use its BB, so I'm considering dropping Agni for 3-star Aisha, just to have some big attack come up as often as possible. 4-star Kikuri and Eze do seem to use their BB a bit more than 5-star Lava, so I think there's something to that.

Yeah, there probably is something to that. It could be my imagination as well, but units in the red hp area tend to pop their BB as well. I have no real data to support that though.

In general though, my team does ok when not facing the new stuff. I'm not completely maxed out either, so I have room to grow, but it isn't going to happen quickly. Even teams that sported a few (2-3) alice characters I could bring down fairly regularly assuming they were hit first.

If i had a better unit assortment to choose from, there are a couple units i'm using i'd replace. I just don't have that luxury at the moment. Maybe in a few weeks...

I think "the higher your units rarity" does not mean * ranking, I think it's some kind of internal value based on the unit itself.

I have never seen High Elf not use her Brave Burst, but a 4* Alice/Mega line will sit on it for 5 rounds at a time. Starters and the new Sefia/Kikiru/Aisha/etc line seem way more likely to use it than most of the older 4*s do. Even 5* healers rarely sit on it.

Phades

I think "the higher your units rarity" does not mean * ranking, I think it's some kind of internal value based on the unit itself.

I have never seen High Elf not use her Brave Burst, but a 4* Alice/Mega line will sit on it for 5 rounds at a time. Starters and the new Sefia/Kikiru/Aisha/etc line seem way more likely to use it than most of the older 4*s do. Even 5* healers rarely sit on it.

Phoenix can sit on it for a while sometimes. The rest seem to pop it fairly regularly, but not always on the first round like the common capturable ones. The pure buff characters seem to be completely random with setting them off though, but I haven't been in enough matches with high elf to say one way or the other. High elf doesn't always survive long enough to throw it up.

I wonder if the ones whose abilities could pretty much instantly end the battle are programmed to be more reserved, actually. Just now, I was fighting some guy and winning handily...til his Scythe God Alice used her BB and decimated my whole team.

Also, just got Berserker! Aww yeah!

I wonder if the ones whose abilities could pretty much instantly end the battle are programmed to be more reserved, actually. Just now, I was fighting some guy and winning handily...til his Scythe God Alice used her BB and decimated my whole team.

Also, just got Berserker! Aww yeah!

I could believe this with the original line up of units, but Kikiru, Sefia, and Aisha simply love to use their BB at the drop of a hat. And all 3 are game-enders. I assume the other three do as well, but I've almost never seen them.

Even a 3* Alice uses her BB so rarely I'm not sure that it could be deemed "less rare" than the 5* Alice.

Everything I'm saying is personal experience, so it could all be wrong. But I think the "rarity" belief came about not because it's true, but because Alice/Mega/Emilia/Lava/Will all sit on their brave bursts forever without using them. Poor Douglas, the guy in that line no one ever uses willingly.

MicH

I just started playing this and have no idea what I'm doing for the most part. My first pull was a four star Lord (old fire dude) so that was pretty cool. I did play a little Puzzle & Dragons a year ago, so I know some things. It's pretty cool so far

Starting to feel like I've hit a wall. Team is lacking summons which have aoe BB. Can't survive aoe spam from Undine in Lomass Forest, which means I can't progress to the point where I can farm some of the better summons and idols needed to evolve my best. If I can't survive Undine, I know I can't survive the weekly dungeon which drops the evo mats I need. :(

Starting to feel like I've hit a wall. Team is lacking summons which have aoe BB. Can't survive aoe spam from Undine in Lomass Forest, which means I can't progress to the point where I can farm some of the better summons and idols needed to evolve my best. If I can't survive Undine, I know I can't survive the weekly dungeon which drops the evo mats I need. :(

You can possibly try bringing up a pair of healers (May/Merith/Claris). Mays would be ideal if you are having issues with Undine.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Grinding for idols sucks. sucks sucks sucks.

I've had fun to this point, but I reached this plateau of how good my team is going to be for awhile barring saving up more gems and hoping for the best.

Without dropping cash it's such a crap shoot. I'm to the point of needing totems now.. and I heard grinding them is an even bigger pain.

Top Bottom