• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The thing is (and I think this is a problem with the game in general) that the dungeons for these captures are so hard that, in order to get them, you already need to have a strong team; Oboro's dungeon, especially, is harder than the rest. It's the same problem with totems. You need them to make your team stronger, but you also need a strong team to get them in the first place. It's not like, say, Hera in PAD, where she's a milestone victory--tough but beatable.

But yes, I "gotta catch 'em all," too.

I think it's meant to make people use gems to continue battles to get more IAP. Just a hunch.

..but yes.. unless you had good luck with the RNG and got some REALLY good pulls with your free gems (and didn't waste a lot of them like I did on slots and continues) you can honestly hit a pretty damn big pay wall.

Draxal

There is also a really special case boss drop of a 4* dark unit, which is Disciple Zebra.

Of course he's very low drop rate, and is the end boss out of all current content, but he's there.

I hear there are more of this type of drop in the future, but for now that's all.

I don't think there is any more that really work like him.

Basically there's the four Frontier Hunter Units (all Lords)
Seria
Lugina
Paris
Tidlith

There's the three parties vs One Boss Unit (guaranteed Lord unit reward)
Karl
Elder Grah

Then there' the new vortex Goddesses (like the Oboro's). These are all drops but are more like Oboro/Gallant/Alma but are just much harder than those.

edited. And yeah this game is very gated to favor IAP. Totem runs say hi (most people will run their mono team against the totem thats weaker to their mono element .... which does them no good as it drops a totem for a different element).

Phades

The thing is (and I think this is a problem with the game in general) that the dungeons for these captures are so hard that, in order to get them, you already need to have a strong team; Oboro's dungeon, especially, is harder than the rest. It's the same problem with totems. You need them to make your team stronger, but you also need a strong team to get them in the first place. It's not like, say, Hera in PAD, where she's a milestone victory--tough but beatable.

The level 3s are rough, no doubt about it. Lv2 on the other hand is fairly do-able even with a middling team that hasn't cleared abadon yet. In fact, i'd say the oboro dungeon would be a decent benchmark for that fight in general. While the level 2 capture rate isn't good, it is a lot better than lv1. Most of my captures for them happened while grinding through the level 2s.

I think the part about it that stings is that in order to get the gem, you have to clear the level 3 version, which is a big roadblock for people to advance in general.

Then there' the new vortex Goddesses (like the Oboro's). These are all drops but are more like Oboro/Gallant/Alma but are just much harder than those.

edited. And yeah this game is very gated to favor IAP. Totem runs say hi (most people will run their mono team against the totem thats weaker to their mono element .... which does them no good as it drops a totem for a different element).
Mono element against opposing is easy, even without the stones/ores. If you got level 40~60 units and have ore/stone, doing the same element should be realistic since that is just straight DPS vs healing and you can boost your damage output through leader traits by 100%. If a healer is the issue, they can guard the entire time and usually come out ok.

Although for me specifically, my gem pulls were mostly fire while my first pick was earth, so that totem run was a breeze. Although I still haven't used that hero at all due to a lack of proper team build to go with him since the end of the first map...

For the most part, the more rare a character is, the better the growth/evolution over time. Common captures typically aren't really worth the time investment. However, until you get a more rare version of a unit that does what you need it to do, you have to make the best with what you got in the meantime.

I assumed that even the common captures would eventually evolve into powerful units. Is true always, sometimes, or never?

Kreed

Are you mostly doing level 3? Because level 2 and 1, while having a horrible drop rate, do drop said characters (I got Oboro from level 2 and Stya and Galant from level 1).

I assumed that even the common captures would eventually evolve into powerful units. Is true always, sometimes, or never?

The humanoid units do get 4 star forms.

Phades

The common captures typically only evolve once. Well, so far.... A recent update allowed some of the common capture units to evolve a second time. Leon, for instance, was capped at this.
http://bravefrontierglobal.wikia.com/wiki/Head_Thief_Leon

HP ATK DEF REC
Base 1,728 572 572 567
Lord 2,892 905 905 935
Anima* 3,184 905 905 850
Breaker* 2,892 985 834 935
Guardian* 2,892 n/a n/a 935
Oracle* 2,597 905 905 1,008

He now can evolve again to this with a max level of 60.
http://bravefrontierglobal.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Thief_Leon
HP ATK DEF REC
Base 2,203 768 768 794
Lord 3,404 1,102 1,002 1,150
Anima* 3,858 1,102 1,002 1,037
Breaker* 3,404 1,214 960 1,150
Guardian* 3,404 n/a n/a 1,150
Oracle* 3,227 1,102 1,002 1,333

However, he is completely dwarfed by Agni in his 2nd evolution state at level 60 which I am fairly positive can only be obtained via gems.
http://bravefrontierglobal.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Knight_Agni
HP ATK DEF REC
Base 3,078 932 653 441
Lord 4,346 1,260 937 687
Anima* 4,798 1,260 937 565
Breaker* 4,346 1,378 824 687
Guardian* 4,346 1,134 1,058 687
Oracle* 3,924 1,260 937 805

65 less defense, but 158 more attack, 942 more HP and a far better BB effect. The REC score is largely irrellevant due to the low HP cap leon has and there is no overhealing/temp HP mechanic in play currently (if ever).

If you dig throug the evolution list and do some other comparisons, the common stuff doesn't stack up very well level for level.

Are you mostly doing level 3? Because level 2 and 1, while having a horrible drop rate, do drop said characters (I got Oboro from level 2 and Stya and Galant from level 1).
I actually do 1, 2, then 3. If I capture along the way, I just do each level once; otherwise, I'll farm the highest level I can beat without losing too badly. In terms of Oboro, I got two of him just going through once. Alma, Stya, and the fire one took more effort, though.

Lockon

I never thought this would happen to me: Was evolving Goth Kikuri (Anima) to Goth Idol Kikuri...Her type changed to Lord...dammit I'm mad lol.

MicH

Ack, my fifth pull is another Elimo. Disappointing, but it's the four star one at least. Still... I wish I got something new

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I never thought this would happen to me: Was evolving Goth Kikuri (Anima) to Goth Idol Kikuri...Her type changed to Lord...dammit I'm mad lol.

I never heard of it happening before, though I knew it could. That said, the lord version isn't so bad. Could have been worse :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am getting really frustrated with Oboro (sp?) dungeon. I can't clear level 3 without gems. I have a pretty boss team, but he just deals SO much damage SO quick. Level 2 is easy, but he just won't drop...I think I'm 0/30 now. *sigh*

Lan_97

Sadly missed out on Galant. I could not farm him out of lv1 despite being successful with Zeln/Alma/Stya lv1. Pretty much set me back one week in building up a mono element team for (dark/light) idol runs. I've put Oboro on the back burner this week since I have enough dark units. Hopefully I can finish up my thunder team for idol runs tomorrow.

How come the Enter button is disabled when i go to the survey office? It won't let me do anything

Anyone? This is what my screen looks like:

vEWaxotl.jpg

And the Enter button is unclickable. How is this supposed to work?

Well, like it says it's calculating scores.

It's been that way since the last round came to an end and they started calculating scores.

FH is a periodic thing where there's a competition period where you acrue points and rewards, then a scoring period where Gumi throws out the obvious hackers. We are currently in the scoring period (although it was supposed to end last night, not tonight, so I guess Gumi did not finish when they thought they would).

Well, like it says it's calculating scores.

It's been that way since the last round came to an end and they started calculating scores.

FH is a periodic thing where there's a competition period where you acrue points and rewards, then a scoring period where Gumi throws out the obvious hackers. We are currently in the scoring period (although it was supposed to end last night, not tonight, so I guess Gumi did not finish when they thought they would).

Yea that might be what confused me. The date changed from what it was before, so I thought it went into a new period. Plus it's been having that message for like 3 days straight (when I started playing), so I thought I was doing something wrong or my game was bugged.

Phades

I'm surprised the colored metals are in the parade already. I guess I missed the announcement...

Now, instead of being disapointed that I didn't predict which kill sequence would land me a king or god, I get to be disapointed that I get a water spirit instead of a fire god. Lol.

I'm dead broke in this game now. Evolving Thunder King Eze to Thunder God Eze and then dumping enough materials to get his level into the 50s cost over 400k coins. It's insane how much things cost in this game.

Oh, also, I was unable to pick up a Fire Idol yesterday again, so Aisha will be 3-star for another while.

I'm surprised the colored metals are in the parade already. I guess I missed the announcement...

Now, instead of being disapointed that I didn't predict which kill sequence would land me a king or god, I get to be disapointed that I get a water spirit instead of a fire god. Lol.

well fusing a fire king to non fire dudes is still the same exp as a metal king i think.

Been getting way more kings and gods today too vs normally.

I honestly wish PAD would do something like that. Just dump all the colored dragons into one dungeon and make it a grab bag. King Carnival is close, but its availability and stamina cost make it nonsense.

Phades

well fusing a fire king to non fire dudes is still the same exp as a metal king i think.

Been getting way more kings and gods today too vs normally.

Yes, this is true. It is just the concept of optimal routes for advancement being introduced, but only receiving the least optimal option instead is the part that induces frustration.

In a carrot/stick analogy; what is being dangled in front of you is highly desired, but by the time you reach out to take it, it is swapped out with something you don't really want at all. Nothing new within the game to be sure, just merely an extention of what already exists due to the RNG.

I'm dead broke in this game now. Evolving Thunder King Eze to Thunder God Eze and then dumping enough materials to get his level into the 50s cost over 400k coins. It's insane how much things cost in this game.

Oh, also, I was unable to pick up a Fire Idol yesterday again, so Aisha will be 3-star for another while.
I'm in a similar rut. ~3-4 weeks ago I was flush with cash and was having issues getting evolution materials. Spent about a week really trying to get them, alongside other things. Finally get them, evolved a few different things draining out the vast majority of funds only to miss out on a lot of money making opportunities or having bad timing for it (exp not right for it for extra runs) and stalled out last week and this week.

On the one hand, I could stand to level up my team some more. On the other hand, I don't really have the cash to afford focused leveling of any single character. On the third hand, I really need to level up the BB levels and that only gets more painful the higher the levels get giving bias towards stalling leveling longer and grinding out money more...

Noirulus

I ran Lvl 3 Tuesday dungeon 7 times yesterday and got EVERY elemental idol (multiples of some of them) except thunder, which is the element I needed.

-_-

Well, Lord isn't too bad. At least it wasn't Oracle or Guardian :p I'd be pissed too, though.

lordcyno

I'm in a similar rut. ~3-4 weeks ago I was flush with cash and was having issues getting evolution materials. Spent about a week really trying to get them, alongside other things. Finally get them, evolved a few different things draining out the vast majority of funds only to miss out on a lot of money making opportunities or having bad timing for it (exp not right for it for extra runs) and stalled out last week and this week.

On the one hand, I could stand to level up my team some more. On the other hand, I don't really have the cash to afford focused leveling of any single character. On the third hand, I really need to level up the BB levels and that only gets more painful the higher the levels get giving bias towards stalling leveling longer and grinding out money more...

I think I read that the gold cost of feeding monsters at max level has been reduced so it's cheaper to level up your BB once it's maxed level after level 21 or so.

I'm low on gold too but hopefully the frontier hunter rewards should be out soon. I think HR3 gave a bunch of gold.

Not looking forward to totems again though. Only got 1 dark totem last time and still need 4.

Phades

I think I read that the gold cost of feeding monsters at max level has been reduced so it's cheaper to level up your BB once it's maxed level after level 21 or so.

I wasn't sure that was a has been change or a will be change. Regardless, I'm estimating I need somewhere upwards of 2 million in the near future for what I need to do...

I ran Lvl 3 Tuesday dungeon 7 times yesterday and got EVERY elemental idol (multiples of some of them) except thunder, which is the element I needed.

-_-

Man... I needed thunder idols yesterday as well. I ran that dungeon so many freaking times. I only needed one more for Emilia... =(

Shouta

I honestly wish PAD would do something like that. Just dump all the colored dragons into one dungeon and make it a grab bag. King Carnival is close, but its availability and stamina cost make it nonsense.

PAD seems so convoluted with its evolution stuff in comparison to Brave Frontier. Wasn't feeling it after awhile and just erased it a few days ago. Having so many different evolution materials is so dumb.

Phades

I need like 4, I think. Amy, Loch, Emilia, and Eze. I've got a great Thunder team but those damned idols just won't drop.

Just curious, but did you get a ton of earth idols instead?

When I needed (still need, but not as many now) fire idols, I kept getting water instead in large quantities.

Noirulus

Just curious, but did you get a ton of earth idols instead?

When I needed (still need, but not as many now) fire idols, I kept getting water instead in large quantities.

I got 2 Earth Idols, 3 Water Idols, 1 Dark Idol, 3 Fire Idols, and 3 Light Idols. 0 Thunder Idols.

I need Dark and Thunder idols the most (Most of my units are Thunder and Dark), and I got those the least, so... something feels really fishy.

Yeah my Kikuri is Oracle too.

The nice thing is that her stats are beastly regardless of her type. I mean, sure, she could've been even better if her type was Anime/Lord/Breaker, but I'm not complaining. At least I didn't get a firedrake!

Draxal

Was farming Oboro 2.0 and while I didn't get an Oboro I did get a Magress (Guardian which is actually kinda good for him because he's tanky anyway).

Got him the first time I saw him as well, while on Gallant 3.0 I saw Vargas all the time.

So, as I have no coins, no need for Mimics, and lots of EXP still needed to level up, I've finally made my way to St. Lamia. Is this the last place in Mistral?

Marvelous

Lol, my account is currently under suspension. E-mailed them this morning and they said it is currently under investigation.

I haven't used any third party programs, hacks, or cheats... so I'm wondering if it's because of Frontier Hunter.

Draxal

Lol, my account is currently under suspension. E-mailed them this morning and they said it is currently under investigation.

I haven't used any third party programs, hacks, or cheats... so I'm wondering if it's because of Frontier Hunter.

Yeah, good amount of bannibgs due to fh but it looks like there was a good amount of false positives
Hopefully you get ur account back asap

Marvelous

Yeah, good amount of bannibgs due to fh but it looks like there was a good amount of false positives
Hopefully you get ur account back asap

Thanks. As far as I know, I haven't abused any exploits or glitches. Hopefully they will let me know what's going on soon.

Shouta

The heck? They added elemental versions of the metal enemies to Metal parade, lol. This'll help level up some chars, lol.

PAD seems so convoluted with its evolution stuff in comparison to Brave Frontier. Wasn't feeling it after awhile and just erased it a few days ago. Having so many different evolution materials is so dumb.

The power creep does that. BF and PAD started out very similar. I expect BF to run the same course eventually. You can only do so much with a limited number of materials before having to introduce newer ones.

Kreed

The power creep does that. BF and PAD started out very similar. I expect BF to run the same course eventually. You can only do so much with a limited number of materials before having to introduce newer ones.

They just added some new ones to the US version (the pots), and there's a new type of Mimic and Totem in the Japanese version.

^ it's inevitable

Also. Save your honor summons until they have an increased rate (like now). Just pulled a few gods and kings which is better than the crap you usually pull out.

MicH

I just had Nemia drop in my very first run in the level 1 special dungeon. Is she rare? And is she good? I need a good Earth type monster :p

Draxal

I just had Nemia drop in my very first run in the level 1 special dungeon. Is she rare? And is she good? I need a good Earth type monster :p

You are going to have people cursing your luck as its very rare to get it on a level one dungeon.

Top Bottom