• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Draxal

Pics?

I use units based off looks!

Here's a vid of the all the broken dark units. Graham is the guy on the left, Lyra is the top two, Friend unit is Lunaris.

***Sound's busted on the vid, so lower the volume***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4DmGMiOvXM

Friend's unit is using an amazing sphere, so that's why the stats are really high.

edit. And yes I'm saving up my gems for her batch of units. The guy's also channel has all the new stuff.

Yeah, so Karl is hard as balls. I thought I had him, and then
he goes all Devil Bringer
and just curb stomps my ass.

I'll need a lot more levels before I'll be able to take him.

Phades

So, it looks like the new, Lv. 3 Congregation of Souls dungeon gives about the same amount of karma as the Lv. 2. That's dumb.
Karma dungeons are worthless. You get more karma from the dragon mimic dungeon. I mean, if the karma dungeon gave out gems or something it would change things.

Even so, with how the game is setup, I really don't see a point in doing the karma dungeons anyhow unless it is a brand new account and needs to push for items.

Pots dungeon is today. The drop rate seems to be equal to or less than the idols, which is a bummer. At least they serve an actual purpose in the game currently, unlike the dragon mimics which had a weekend event of all stupid things.

I had 4 dragon mimics in one run, with 2 in the same round... ><; That was harder than lv3 lico.

Yeah, so Karl is hard as balls. I thought I had him, and then
he goes all Devil Bringer
and just curb stomps my ass.

I'll need a lot more levels before I'll be able to take him.

I've seen Karl in the arena on a heavyweight class player. I wish I had room on my friendlist to at least name the guy exactly. He had a name that looked like Develpr or something to that effect. Unit was pretty solid.

Is that skill where he heals to full or something? A friend of mine was mentioning something to that effect... I haven't tried Karl, but among the newer stuff so far, the dragon mimics (where many of them pop) has been the hardest so far. Lico lv3 wasn't that much worse than lv2. Sure the fight was longer and I used more items, but the way it went was either my character was never in danger of dying or just gets 1 round ko'd. There wasn't much inbetween. I bet with a 2&mina support, she would be a lot less threatening for me. Stuff that spams curse or paralyze is a lot harder for me in general.

The miracle totem wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sure it would hit my weak element(s) occasionally, but mostly it just spammed holy attacks, at which I just laughed since I was rather worried about the fight. Pots were meh. Same calibur as idols, but they get more annoying support monsters helping them out.

I've seen Karl in the arena on a heavyweight class player. I wish I had room on my friendlist to at least name the guy exactly. He had a name that looked like Develpr or something to that effect. Unit was pretty solid.

Is that skill where he heals to full or something? A friend of mine was mentioning something to that effect... I haven't tried Karl, but among the newer stuff so far, the dragon mimics (where many of them pop) has been the hardest so far. Lico lv3 wasn't that much worse than lv2. Sure the fight was longer and I used more items, but the way it went was either my character was never in danger of dying or just gets 1 round ko'd. There wasn't much inbetween. I bet with a 2&mina support, she would be a lot less threatening for me. Stuff that spams curse or paralyze is a lot harder for me in general.

The miracle totem wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sure it would hit my weak element(s) occasionally, but mostly it just spammed holy attacks, at which I just laughed since I was rather worried about the fight. Pots were meh. Same calibur as idols, but they get more annoying support monsters helping them out.
I saw Karl in the arena once, too. That team wasn't even particularly special, so I'm really curious how that player was able to beat him.

Regarding what he does, though, it's worse than a full-health regen.
At around half HP, he changes to his evolved form, which ups everything and fully restores his HP (and he has more HP and DEF overall, as well).
He also has this skill where he increases his ATK to ridiculous levels. To give you an idea how hard he hits at this point, he can tear through my level 80 Guardian Kikuri equipped with Sacred Jewel, with a Dark Seal up (6000+ HP, 1800+ DEF x 1.5) in one turn. And to give you an idea of how hard this makes the fight, I got through the first phase without using a single item, and it didn't matter at all, since he just tore me up right after.

I haven't tried Dragon Mimic yet, but Lico Lv. 3 I can get through without using items (although I did have to gem on Miracle Totem, but I've gained a few levels since then), and Karl is just in a completely different league.

MicH

Finally managed to scrape together five gems. Did a pull and got a three star Lorand. Ughhh. The four star one was my very first pull! This is my second duplicate and I haven't even pulled a lot :/ Super disappointing

Phades

I saw Karl in the arena once, too. That team wasn't even particularly special, so I'm really curious how that player was able to beat him.

Regarding what he does, though, it's worse than a full-health regen.
At around half HP, he changes to his evolved form, which ups everything and fully restores his HP (and he has more HP and DEF overall, as well).
He also has this skill where he increases his ATK to ridiculous levels. To give you an idea how hard he hits at this point, he can tear through my level 80 Guardian Kikuri equipped with Sacred Jewel, with a Dark Seal up (6000+ HP, 1800+ DEF x 1.5) in one turn. And to give you an idea of how hard this makes the fight, I got through the first phase without using a single item, and it didn't matter at all, since he just tore me up right after.

I haven't tried Dragon Mimic yet, but Lico Lv. 3 I can get through without using items (although I did have to gem on Miracle Totem, but I've gained a few levels since then), and Karl is just in a completely different league.

It must be because you are dark element in regard to the miracle totem. I can't fathom any other reason why you would need to gem on that fight. The thing spammed holy attacks on me like it was going out of style. Does Karl do the same thing? I know he is supposed to mix up his attacks a bit though. I already know he is out of my league due to being water based in terms of vulnerability (IE I can't hurt him with my highest level stuff due to being fire based primarially). My latest rare pull was the fire multi-element leader, which doesn't help me any. Almost anything else would have been better to be honest.

Also in regard to Karl, it makes me wonder if his attack sequence is a gimmick as well. For example, he powers up and runs through retarded attacks (similar to timed maxwell attacks), then goes back to "normal" (whatever that means for this fight). This would imply that a player would be required to guard for X turns until he calms down a bit.

It must be because you are dark element in regard to the miracle totem. I can't fathom any other reason why you would need to gem on that fight. The thing spammed holy attacks on me like it was going out of style. Does Karl do the same thing? I know he is supposed to mix up his attacks a bit though. I already know he is out of my league due to being water based in terms of vulnerability (IE I can't hurt him with my highest level stuff due to being fire based primarially). My latest rare pull was the fire multi-element leader, which doesn't help me any. Almost anything else would have been better to be honest.

Also in regard to Karl, it makes me wonder if his attack sequence is a gimmick as well. For example, he powers up and runs through retarded attacks (similar to timed maxwell attacks), then goes back to "normal" (whatever that means for this fight). This would imply that a player would be required to guard for X turns until he calms down a bit.
Karl's attacks are mostly water-based (and his AOE is water), but he can also attack with lightning and earth single-target specials. I don't remember if he can do fire, dark, or light, but I don't remember seeing those, at least.

In terms of his power up mode, it almost certainly is a gimmick, especially since at the end of his sequence, his DEF goes down for a turn (I initially thought that was because I tagged him with Rickel's BB, but he does it on his own). The issue is that I haven't figured out his pattern, and when he starts the power up, he immediately follows it up with attacks (as opposed to the power up sequence using his whole turn and giving you a warning). To be fair, in order for him to down my Kikuri in one shot, he'd have to focus all his attacks for the turn on her, leaving everyone else relatively unscathed, barring one of his attacks being his AOE.

Also, in the first phase, poison hits him for 40k per turn. I wasn't able to tag him again after that one time, though.

Finally managed to scrape together five gems. Did a pull and got a three star Lorand. Ughhh. The four star one was my very first pull! This is my second duplicate and I haven't even pulled a lot :/ Super disappointing

Look on the bright side, Lorand is a really good unit.

You could have acquired two Thunderbirds or Dryads. Like I did.

Phades

Folks should get achievements unlocked like Birdcage or botanical garden for lots of repeat pulls like that to try and take the edge off a little.

It would also be more interesting if the units you received behaved a lot closer to how they behave as enemies.

a bit curious how some of these arena teams have 100 wins and 0 loses, some are just wacked, why is kikuri a leader of your rainbow party?

maybe they are just fighting noobs, probably why they are my rank with 4x the wins.

a bit curious how some of these arena teams have 100 wins and 0 loses, some are just wacked, why is kikuri a leader of your rainbow party?

maybe they are just fighting noobs, probably why they are my rank with 4x the wins.
If you disconnect from the game, the match doesn't count, so a lot of people end task on the game to avoid taking a loss.

Sometimes, though, I think the server can just screw up, as I've run into a few people now with 0:0 records.

Draxal

They smurf (fighting noobs), and you can exit the program if you are losing the battle. You have Kikuri as the leader of a rainbow party, as people usually avoid Kikuri teams.

Draxal

from the stats it seems like people fought my team, does that change your stats? I don't think ive gotten points when doing something else.

It doesn't, but people will make make troll teams anyway (lead with say a water +50 guy, and then have the entire team be filled of earth guys).

I'm more curious how people have records of like 25:0 and are Heavyweights. I've seen at least 2 or 3 that are Heavyweight or Duelist and have less than 30 total matches. Seems literally impossible.

Top secret tip:

In the arena, top the top right of the screen 3 times and then hit refresh.

Done properly you will see the Arena points of your opponent. Once done refresh will continue to show the ABP. No more fighting guys way behind you for minimal gain and big loss.

Verified on Android, not sure if it works on iOS or not.

Sometimes, though, I think the server can just screw up, as I've run into a few people now with 0:0 records.

The 0-0 people are those who have not logged in since the last Arena update.

Always attack them, because they universally have units behind the times...where Alice was the best unit in the game.

Phades

Top secret tip:

Done properly you will see the Arena points of your opponent. Once done refresh will continue to show the ABP. No more fighting guys way behind you for minimal gain and big loss.

How on earth did you figure that out?

MicH

Top secret tip:

I seem to somehow enable this when refreshing sometimes. Completely random and unintentional, but cool I guess (On iOS by the way)

Top secret tip:

Works on iOS. Should be on by default.

What's the max points gain from arena? 200?

Phades

I didn't. I read it from someone else who figured it out.

How they figured it out? No idea whatsoever. It has to be a bug somehow but it's beyond me how it works.

It sounds like some cheat code used for whatever development reason it may exist.

I just don't understand why that information isn't on by default. At the end of the match, you still have to win to reap any reward what so ever.

Man I have 7 energy and I still need 1 more Dark Spirit. I'll be pretty annoyed if I can't get it before the event ends :( I've run the spirit dungeon about 5x today and gotten 2, just need one more to evolve Alice.

It sounds like some cheat code used for whatever development reason it may exist.

I just don't understand why that information isn't on by default. At the end of the match, you still have to win to reap any reward what so ever.

My guess is they didn't want people min-maxing the arena. Not only do you get more points if you win against a higher ranked opponent, but you also lose fewer points. So much so that by always fighting opponents with significantly higher Arena Points, your direction is basically guaranteed to drift upwards, because the risk/reward ratio is so out of whack. There's literally almost nothing to lose and everything to gain by fighting higher ranked opponents, so perhaps they wanted there to be an equal likelihood that you would lose points as opposed to gain points.

Noirulus

Top secret tip:

Thank youuu

Not sure if the new Frontier Hunter is just easier or I got lucky but it took me all of one try to get all the rewards from Middle, with ~530K points in one try.

Burst Frogs! Gems! Another Sacred Jewel! Yay!

Ferga

aEU72BM.png

My other run before the maintenance didn't get counted.

Annoying :\

Some of the new End Waves are brutal.

The 4x "super hit count" guys on Wave 3 was brutal (Heidt, Rickel, Stya, and Douglas).

Enlightened Mifune still scares me.

Relatively speaking the final wave of Loch, Edea, Lorand, and Dean was mild.

Ferga

Wow I just got demolished by the 4th round in end stage with my rainbow team.

And this was a team that didn't use any items in middle :\

Guess I gotta rely on RNG again to get medulla gem

Which group of enemies was it?

Since I didn't mention earlier, Enlightened Mifune had a single AoE attack every round. Every round it did more damage than the prior round. The round I killed him his prior attack did ~5K health to my entire party. I fear what would have happened next.

His progression was something like 100 to all, 300 to all, 1000 to all, 3000 to all, 5000 to all.

frontier hunter is open? it saying its not when i try the menu.

and wow, i dominated half blood maiden on lvl 2. think i might try 3 lol. i just hate how these events burn sooo much energy >.<

Draxal

They took it down and gave us a free metal key. I'll take it (and i'm banking it in the mail for later on when they do a special metal parade event).

Phades

My guess is they didn't want people min-maxing the arena. Not only do you get more points if you win against a higher ranked opponent, but you also lose fewer points. So much so that by always fighting opponents with significantly higher Arena Points, your direction is basically guaranteed to drift upwards, because the risk/reward ratio is so out of whack. There's literally almost nothing to lose and everything to gain by fighting higher ranked opponents, so perhaps they wanted there to be an equal likelihood that you would lose points as opposed to gain points.

In practice, it never plays out that way. Too man smurf accounts and the nature of the game promote late players rising rapidly through the easy acquisition of the newer and subsequently more OP characters creating a weird dichotomy through the mid ranks where account levels will vary by more than 40 and folks rolling through with zero losses and not needing to exit the program to preserve the record.

Which group of enemies was it?

Since I didn't mention earlier, Enlightened Mifune had a single AoE attack every round. Every round it did more damage than the prior round. The round I killed him his prior attack did ~5K health to my entire party. I fear what would have happened next.

His progression was something like 100 to all, 300 to all, 1000 to all, 3000 to all, 5000 to all.
Sounds like a FF style odin fight. You have X time to win, or you just die. That heavily biases pure offensive builds, which is a shame.

It isn't much different than putting a 5th wheel on a car. It serves no purpose. Either folks will have the units that can compete at the later teirs, or they won't and they will flounder.

Top Bottom