• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

There's a bizarre glitchy thunder dungeon going on right now. Apparently Eze drops in it, and after you clear both levels you get a unique sphere.

Didn't seem glitchy for me.

Didn't get anything special, a bunch of Thunder Spirits.

Special Sphere was a Charge Sphere, +10% recovery and + crit chance. No idea how much crit chance it is, but I doubt it's Havoc Axe level, since the dungeon was pretty simple.

TimeKillr

There's a bizarre glitchy thunder dungeon going on right now. Apparently Eze drops in it, and after you clear both levels you get a unique sphere.

I got an Eze in the second level of the dungeon. Wasn't that hard - the only 2 problematic spots is the middle fight on the 2nd level that has Weiss + 2 Idols + a few other mobs, and the last fight which is against Eze and Zeln at the same time (Zeln does massive damage when he reaches low hp, but hey, wasn't that hard).

And yeah, the orb is +10% rec and increased critical rate, which is kinda shitty imo.

animus82

Banned
can someone please explain the appeal of this game?

I'm serious. I'm not a cell phone game hater. I play a lot of Marvel PQ and Puzzle and Dragons.

Do the units only have 2 moves? Attack and charge? Is there a good amount of strategy and some "skill" involved later on or is it mostly pay to win or pay to keep spinning a gotcha.

I played first few levels, are the rest like this as well? There has to be a reason that its top 6 on the Android Grossing list.

Draxal

I'm serious. I'm not a cell phone game hater. I play a lot of Marvel PQ and Puzzle and Dragons.

Do the units only have 2 moves? Attack and charge? Is there a good amount of strategy and some "skill" involved later on or is it mostly pay to win or pay to keep spinning a gotcha.

I played first few levels, are the rest like this as well? There has to be a reason that its top 6 on the Android Grossing list.

Cute sprites is the biggest appeal. While it does have alot of the trappings of puzzle and dragons in its energy and gatcha, they play very differently.

There is some skill in gameplay due to sparks, but it is not nearly as important as in P & D(which is actually to its benefit, sometimes I just want a play mindless game during a break at work, I leave "meaty games" to other devices). Like P & D, eventually monster/unit skills trump those gameplay elements.

The game has pretty high production values as well with the spirtes and a decently large soundtrack, with increasing amount of limited time events (not nearly as many as P&D).

Phades

Special Sphere was a Charge Sphere, +10% recovery and + crit chance. No idea how much crit chance it is, but I doubt it's Havoc Axe level, since the dungeon was pretty simple.

Can get idols too. I'm hoping for eze to drop though. Weiss dropped for me as an anima type. Although, I don't think he is that useful of a unit.

I've run this thunder dungeon more than 20 times and not gotten an Eze :(

Lol, damn. Where do you find 410 energy?

You pretty much killed my hope for an eze to drop though.

Can get idols too. I'm hoping for eze to drop though. Weiss dropped for me as an anima type. Although, I don't think he is that useful of a unit.

Lol, damn. Where do you find 410 energy?

You pretty much killed my hope for an eze to drop though.

Well Eze is one of the things I really, really want (mostly for Karl) so I was gemming energy. My base energy is 78, so after 3 level 2 runs I only have to wait another minute or so until I get a 4th. So I get 4 runs per bar of stamina, then gem and do it again. Getting pretty discouraged though, I'm up to probably 16 runs on lv. 2 and 9-10 runs on Lv. 1. I've gotten 1 Zeln from the Lv. 1 runs, and 1 Weiss from the Lv. 2 runs.

Some people are getting it on the first first try though.

Dreavus

Ughhh the worst is, when doing Metal Parade, when you finally find a God.. and it's accompanied by a ghost... and the ghost drops. My god :(

Do you know if it makes a difference which one you kill first? I always try and kill the more valuable guy first just in case, but I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference.

TimeKillr

Do you know if it makes a difference which one you kill first? I always try and kill the more valuable guy first just in case, but I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference.

No difference

Yeah, it's probably similar to Puzzle and Dragons, where your action have absolutely *no* bearing on what drops.

It's actually the only way they can do it without people cheating - when you enter a level, the server sends the game the information about what monsters are spawned, which drops, what they drop, etc.

Otherwise you could technically run cheats (well, you still can to make yourself invulnerable, for example, since I doubt that the game communicates with the server after every turn you do) and force the game to drop exactly what you want.

I'm sure there's analytics that the game has that log what happens so in case you're cheating they'll know (they can very easily track how much damage has been dealt, how much has been healed, etc) so that they can know without an ounce of doubt that you've been cheating.

We'd need someone to packet sniff what comes in (like someone did for PAD, which is how we got the information) to determine what is fixed and what isn't.

Speaking of cheats, the absolute only effective cheat I could see for this game is something that guaranteed sparks with extreme precision - if the cheat knows what characters you have and has data about how their attacks are performed, it could pretty simply determine the optimal order and timing to perform the highest amount of sparks possible and just do it for you by sending taps to the application.

Draxal

Easiest way to spark is using 4 30 aoe sbb every turn. (HI DOUGLAS).

Anyway, glad I farmed up that Serin squad, she's easily the best mp unit there is. Rickel has a high hit count but her animation is so long, compared to Serin's compact bulletstorm.

She just murders mps.

Yeah, it's probably similar to Puzzle and Dragons, where your action have absolutely *no* bearing on what drops.

It's actually the only way they can do it without people cheating - when you enter a level, the server sends the game the information about what monsters are spawned, which drops, what they drop, etc.

Otherwise you could technically run cheats (well, you still can to make yourself invulnerable, for example, since I doubt that the game communicates with the server after every turn you do) and force the game to drop exactly what you want.

I'm sure there's analytics that the game has that log what happens so in case you're cheating they'll know (they can very easily track how much damage has been dealt, how much has been healed, etc) so that they can know without an ounce of doubt that you've been cheating.

We'd need someone to packet sniff what comes in (like someone did for PAD, which is how we got the information) to determine what is fixed and what isn't.

Speaking of cheats, the absolute only effective cheat I could see for this game is something that guaranteed sparks with extreme precision - if the cheat knows what characters you have and has data about how their attacks are performed, it could pretty simply determine the optimal order and timing to perform the highest amount of sparks possible and just do it for you by sending taps to the application.

It's already known that the server only sends data to the client twice. When you enter a dungeon, and when you finish a dungeon. Also, there's a way to trigger a condition where shutting down the app and restarting the app restarts you at the beginning of a dungeon, even if you're at the end. People have done this and run through the same dungeon many times, and noted that the drops and enemy waves are always identical. So this implies that, as you mention, drops are computed by the server when you enter, and when you finish a dungeon, the client only tells the server that it was successful.

speaking of drops, I'm at 0/17 for Lv. 2 thunder, and 0/12 for Lv. 1 now. The worst part is that I don't even know if Lv. 2 has a higher drop rate. If they're even then it's far more efficient to spam level 1.

TimeKillr

It's already known that the server only sends data to the client twice. When you enter a dungeon, and when you finish a dungeon. Also, there's a way to trigger a condition where shutting down the app and restarting the app restarts you at the beginning of a dungeon, even if you're at the end. People have done this and run through the same dungeon many times, and noted that the drops and enemy waves are always identical. So this implies that, as you mention, drops are computed by the server when you enter, and when you finish a dungeon, the client only tells the server that it was successful.

speaking of drops, I'm at 0/17 for Lv. 2 thunder, and 0/12 for Lv. 1 now. The worst part is that I don't even know if Lv. 2 has a higher drop rate. If they're even then it's far more efficient to spam level 1.

Do we know if the client sends data back to the server when it clears a dungeon (besides the "dungeon complete" message?) I'm assuming it does because it's a huge failsafe, but you never know!

Do we know if the client sends data back to the server when it clears a dungeon (besides the "dungeon complete" message?) I'm assuming it does because it's a huge failsafe, but you never know!

No, afaik nobody's gone so far as to use a packet sniffer. Only put their phone in airplane mode while they run the dungeon, and look for where you get errors. Since you can run through an entire dungeon in airplane mode, and it only fails at the end, it means they only transmit data at that point. But it could be in one or both directions.

TimeKillr

No, afaik nobody's gone so far as to use a packet sniffer. Only put their phone in airplane mode while they run the dungeon, and look for where you get errors. Since you can run through an entire dungeon in airplane mode, and it only fails at the end, it means they only transmit data at that point. But it could be in one or both directions.

Yeah so that pretty much confirms it - we'd only need to check what data is sent to know exactly what's happening :)

Regardless, I hope you get your Eze. Seriously, that massively sucks - I got him on my first try, truly not knowing it was super rare, I was just going "hey, cool, I got a new starter" :)

Draxal

Honestly, I wouldn't want Eze as much as the new f2p thunder unit that is coming out for the dungeon (or the lightning healer or the lightning leader with II and Mina's leader skill).

Honestly, I wouldn't want Eze as much as the new f2p thunder unit that is coming out for the dungeon (or the lightning healer or the lightning leader with II and Mina's leader skill).

Yea, I'll probably use 3 more gems worth of energy on him, and after that he can go fuck himself. /bitter

Still, the main advantage of Eze is his 6* form gets 10% HP boost, which is very helpful for Karl.

Is Havoc Axe any good? I've noticed that the sphere colors don't really mean anything anymore.

Phades

Yea, I'll probably use 3 more gems worth of energy on him, and after that he can go fuck himself. /bitter

Still, the main advantage of Eze is his 6* form gets 10% HP boost, which is very helpful for Karl.

Yeah, the 10% bump is the equivilent of a lot of levels. I didn't think it would mean much at first, but it was a pretty noticeable difference. Roughly making the break between healing one turn sooner vs later or surviving a large pile on/focus fire attack at all.

Is Havoc Axe any good? I've noticed that the sphere colors don't really mean anything anymore.

Some standardization would be welcome. Although I am starting to wonder if the colors are supposed to have something to do with rarity instead of potentcy, but I'm not convinced of that either.

Yeah, the 10% bump is the equivilent of a lot of levels. I didn't think it would mean much at first, but it was a pretty noticeable difference. Roughly making the break between healing one turn sooner vs later or surviving a large pile on/focus fire attack at all.

Some standardization would be welcome. Although I am starting to wonder if the colors are supposed to have something to do with rarity instead of potentcy, but I'm not convinced of that either.

I don't think so. Medulla Gem is the same color as some very easy to acquire gems, and likewise with Angelic Foil.

I think originally, it was supposed to go Green -> Blue -> Grey -> Yellow, but there are more colors now, like Pink. Since there's also Bronze, I think Medulla Gem is not actually supposed to be Grey, but "Silver," which looks the same (as the Frontier Hunter MVP prizes are apparently Gold). But yeah, some consistency would be nice.

On topic for Eze, I've noticed that Hero Stone is quite good for him. It brings his REC up to passable levels, and the other stat boosts help, too.

Lomax

Honestly for me, it has everything Puzzles & Dragons does without having to do the puzzle part. I play Doctor Who Legacy as well, so being able to play a game with the team strategy and drops with less time consuming combat was appealing.

Kreed

There is more strategy to the game in regards to leader skills, item usage, abilities, and other gameplay modes, and the game does borrow a lot of PAD's evolution/dungeon mechanics that you will notice later on but the difficulty/strategy is not on the level of Marvel PQ or PAD.

With that being said however, the game being more simplistic while maintaining some strategy is actually one of the things I like about it vs PAD and Marvel, which have gotten really ridiculous in regards to making dungeons/levels that only certain units can run, making harder dungeons to counter the overpowered units they promoted players to pull and in the process make it so none of the other units can run it without luck, or nerfing characters that are deemed too strong in the case of Marvel and pissing the whole community off. For the most part while certain teams have an advantage over others (leader skills/elemental advantage in certain dungeons), this game can be played with any team if it's strong enough.

So I literally just picked up this game last night. Anything I need to know tips wise? I up just doing quest and saving gems for the summons. Invested most of my points into the forest/river/synth and farm.

Also i tried that thunder event thing. Got destroyed like 3-4 stages in the first level. Any tips?

Draxal

So I literally just picked up this game last night. Anything I need to know tips wise? I up just doing quest and saving gems for the summons. Invested most of my points into the forest/river/synth and farm.

Also i tried that thunder event thing. Got destroyed like 3-4 stages in the first level. Any tips?

I would just do the main story for a bit now, as the vortex dungeons need you to be leveled up a little bit. Post your pulls and we can give you some advice.

I would just do the main story for a bit now, as the vortex dungeons need you to be leveled up a little bit. Post your pulls and we can give you some advice.

pulls? is the the monsters?

Princess Emilia
Lemia
Ice Selina
Witch Liza
Geomancer Claris

I do also have a War demon vishra but i can't use it yet.

pulls? is the the monsters?

Princess Emilia
Lemia
Ice Selina
Witch Liza
Geomancer Claris

I do also have a War demon vishra but i can't use it yet.

Pulls = what you got from the rare summon machine. It sounds like you got Princess Emilia Lemia, and Vishra, and you chose Selina as your starter. Unfortunately Emilia and Lemia aren't the greatest, but this early in the game it doesn't really matter, so do focus on levelling them up and they will take you a ways. Geomancer Claris is a good healer, so level her up too.

MicH

Awesome! I cleared the Miracle Totem dungeon! Without using a gem, too, but thank god for Fujin potions!

... And it costs FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND zel to evolve my Eze to 6*?! Jesus!

Phades

Awesome! I cleared the Miracle Totem dungeon! Without using a gem, too, but thank god for Fujin potions!

... And it costs FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND zel to evolve my Eze to 6*?! Jesus!

Jewel dungeons man. Jewel dungeons. Just remember to pick up your keys twice a week. 1 series of runs in there should pull down close to 500k.

Also congrats. Advancing always feels good.

Phades

That seems weird since the pull should be server generated, not client generated. If the pull granted something that wasn't updated yet, shouldn't it just be a blank card image with the unitID(numbers)_name placeholder_type or origin like with the dungeons and items?

That seems weird since the pull should be server generated, not client generated. If the pull granted something that wasn't updated yet, shouldn't it just be a blank card image with the unitID(numbers)_name placeholder_type or origin like with the dungeons and items?

Most likely, but when real money (e.g. gems) are on the line, people (including myself) take sometimes illogical precautions :p

Phades

No criticism here at all. I'm just trying to find logic in the "how it works" aspect.

The thunder dungeon is pretty aggrivating. The more times I run it, the easier the debuffs seem to stick to my team and the frequency of their AOEs seem to go up. I keep getting Zeln and Weiss to drop. Zeln was never this easy to get in his own dungeon. Still not Eze and I'm about 450 energy deep into running the course.

blech

Finally managed to beat Karl, which was a feat for me since I have no good Thunder units at all.

Ended up using 5 healers and a whole lot of Dark and Water units.

Phades

Finally managed to beat Karl, which was a feat for me since I have no good Thunder units at all.

Ended up using 5 healers and a whole lot of Dark and Water units.

5 healers? So, 3 parties in a 2-2-1 fashion? I was starting to think that the issue wasn't keeping up with his initial damage or damage over time, but the larger bursts he does later in the fight requiring much greater spike damage from the player towards the end of the fight.

so i get a dark totem on the first run of the day, now i spend the whole day trying to get a dark idol and no luck.

bah.

I'm in a situation right now where I have about 10 of every idol, spirit, nymph, and totem except for dark, because I had such hell getting dark last time. So as long as I resolve to never evolve another dark unit to 5*, I never have to run any evo dungeons again!

5 healers? So, 3 parties in a 2-2-1 fashion? I was starting to think that the issue wasn't keeping up with his initial damage or damage over time, but the larger bursts he does later in the fight requiring much greater spike damage from the player towards the end of the fight.

1-2-2 in my case. 1 in my "good party", who survived up until Blue Execution.

The twos were a combination of weaker units that needed healing and just running out of units worth using at all. My three best parties are Dark, Water, and Fire, and I certainly wasn't going to pull from the Fire party.

Phades

1-2-2 in my case. 1 in my "good party", who survived up until Blue Execution.

The twos were a combination of weaker units that needed healing and just running out of units worth using at all. My three best parties are Dark, Water, and Fire, and I certainly wasn't going to pull from the Fire party.

It get what you are saying. With the way things are going for me, I find it unlikely that I'll have a solid enough party for one group, never mind 3, until sometime after tilith gets released.

I keep failing to pull any useful non-fire based units. The closest 5 man team I have, which wouldn't stand a chance, would be my light group having Holy Atro, Ralmerdera, x2 Alma, and Maria. Behind that would be earth, with Holy lance, King Leore, Lidith, Nemia, and Titania. The rest is a pretty sorry mix of stuff in the dark, water, and lighting areas.

I really want to see the fight for myself, but it just feels like it would be entirely a waste of time, consumables, and energy to attempt to do so which is starting to piss me off given the fact that I can't seem to branch out at all even when given opportunities to do so like the current Water maiden and thunder dungeons.

Don't forget that Thunder Maiden is probably up next, and that will be a big help to anyone trying to build a Karl team. Not to mention the lightning healer is next week as well. I think I'm getting close to being able to take him on. Or at least I think I have almost the right unit composition, but just need more levels. I've seen team makeups of teams who have been successful, and their 2nd and 3rd teams are just random crap that they have at 4 and 5*s to fill out the rest of the spots. It seems like as long as your first team can survive until Blue Execution, even if they die to it, the other 2 teams can probably finish him off, because he becomes more normal at that point. The main thing is that team 1 survives until blue execution, and that team 2 and 3 have an Il&Mina leader to prevent paralysis.

Phades

Don't forget that Thunder Maiden is probably up next, and that will be a big help to anyone trying to build a Karl team. Not to mention the lightning healer is next week as well. I think I'm getting close to being able to take him on. Or at least I think I have almost the right unit composition, but just need more levels. I've seen team makeups of teams who have been successful, and their 2nd and 3rd teams are just random crap that they have at 4 and 5*s to fill out the rest of the spots. It seems like as long as your first team can survive until Blue Execution, even if they die to it, the other 2 teams can probably finish him off, because he becomes more normal at that point. The main thing is that team 1 survives until blue execution, and that team 2 and 3 have an Il&Mina leader to prevent paralysis.

Without Ezo, having the thunder maiden isn't going to change much for me since I'd still be sitting at +15% atk power boost or whatever the leader skill for that one is (if better). The lightning healer would definately be a push in the right direction though given what I currently have, but I have full confidence that I'll pull mifune again for the 5-6th time or another fire unit.

I'd much rather "earn" a unit than gamble to be honest. It is far more satisfying.

Draxal

Without Ezo, having the thunder maiden isn't going to change much for me since I'd still be sitting at +15% atk power boost or whatever the leader skill for that one is (if better). The lightning healer would definately be a push in the right direction though given what I currently have, but I have full confidence that I'll pull mifune again for the 5-6th time or another fire unit.

I'd much rather "earn" a unit than gamble to be honest. It is far more satisfying.

It would be 50 with the maiden, and shed probably be the second best offensive unit for a while to use on Karl. (Amy is the best right now).

Question: do you lose your bonuses from leader skills if your leader goes down? I don't think you do, so Seria could actually be a viable leader against Carl, since she gives a 20% defense boost. She'll probably go down, but that doesn't matter, since you just want the boost.

Top Bottom