• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Phades

You get 2x cost for 3 parties. This didn't hinder me at all, but I'm rank 103 or something so have an absurdly high cost limit anyway.

I'd have a hard time actually using all my unit cost even with 3 parties at x2 the limit. My highest billed units aren't in duplicates, only the scrubs...

Kalren

I'm glad I found this thread, I've been really enjoying this game for the past few days. I've read the FAQs and wiki a bit, but until I get things sorted in my head, I'm still hesitant with my fusing/evolving.

Anyone want to share some mistakes they made early on in the game that people should avoid.

Draxal

I'm glad I found this thread, I've been really enjoying this game for the past few days. I've read the FAQs and wiki a bit, but until I get things sorted in my head, I'm still hesitant with my fusing/evolving.

Anyone want to share some mistakes they made early on in the game that people should avoid.

Getting rid of Douglas (I haven't but multiple people have). He'll become the best sub unit in the game with his six star form.

What spheres should I be looking at using for FH 3? I only have 1 Sacred Jewel because I couldn't get the SJ or Medulla Gem from FH last time. So I'm kind of in a rut sphere-wise. My town sphere thing is at level 25, so the highest thing I can craft is a Tech Gizmo 2. Should I go for a Defense+15% sphere? HP+15% sphere? Attack doesn't seem like the wya to go since you really need survivability and BB spam. So I think either DEF+15% or BB generation is the way to go, but not sure which is best.

What spheres should I be looking at using for FH 3? I only have 1 Sacred Jewel because I couldn't get the SJ or Medulla Gem from FH last time. So I'm kind of in a rut sphere-wise. My town sphere thing is at level 25, so the highest thing I can craft is a Tech Gizmo 2. Should I go for a Defense+15% sphere? HP+15% sphere? Attack doesn't seem like the wya to go since you really need survivability and BB spam. So I think either DEF+15% or BB generation is the way to go, but not sure which is best.
Drain Spear is surprisingly good. Refined Gem is also great, if you have it.

I'm not really sold on Crowns, personally, but they are rare enough where they should be good, I guess.

I loved Holy Crown on my healers for Frontier Hunter before I had better items like the Evil Shard and a lot of spare Sacred Jewels.

Anyone know the upgrade mats for the 6* units being released Thursday? I really want to know what my 5* tree will need so I can get it up and running at 6* before FH starts Friday.

*EDIT* Nevermind, looks like it's a Nymph, Spirit, Totem, Miracle Totem, Dragon Mimic. Piece of cake, I have all of that already.

Kreed

If you are a non IAP player, do not get rid of anything you Rare Summon, even if it is a duplicate. Nothing you get in the game for free has better stats than a rare summoned unit excluding the Battle Maidens and the 6 star forms of the starter/honor summoned heroes (which you may also want to keep duplicates of if you are in need of more subs for other teams like mono colored teams).

Phades

Any ideas what was in the download today?

I was trying an extra run for an idol and when I went into the dungeon it just decided it was a good time to start downloading 45+ files (stupid thing reset to 30 twice, so my game is probably hosed).

Any ideas what was in the download today?

I was trying an extra run for an idol and when I went into the dungeon it just decided it was a good time to start downloading 45+ files (stupid thing reset to 30 twice, so my game is probably hosed).

6* evos are in now. I have tree and malnaplis ready to go, but need miracle totems :(

I loved Holy Crown on my healers for Frontier Hunter before I had better items like the Evil Shard and a lot of spare Sacred Jewels.

Im still about 10k arena points away from Holy Crown. Was trying to get it by Friday but seems like no dice unless i gem arena orbs. Ill just go with HP or DEF spheres i guess.

Credo

I finally managed to pull Tree. He is a breaker :(

I HATE unit types in this game. If you guys pull something with a unit type that goes against its usefulness, like a breaker Tree, do you just abandon the idea of using it like I do?

I finally managed to pull Tree. He is a breaker :(

I HATE unit types in this game. If you guys pull something with a unit type that goes against its usefulness, like a breaker Tree, do you just abandon the idea of using it like I do?

My max level tree which im about to take to 6* tomorrow is breaker. The worst type of an amazing unit is still pretty damn good. Especially for tree

Kalren

Getting rid of Douglas (I haven't but multiple people have). He'll become the best sub unit in the game with his six star form.

Would be nice if I got a Douglas in a future pull.

If you are a non IAP player, do not get rid of anything you Rare Summon, even if it is a duplicate. Nothing you get in the game for free has better stats than a rare summoned unit excluding the Battle Maidens and the 6 star forms of the starter/honor summoned heroes (which you may also want to keep duplicates of if you are in need of more subs for other teams like mono colored teams).

I haven't IAP yet... I've been doing my best in keeping track of what I have that will go 4* and up but at the same time I'm missing some elemental types so I've been filling my ranks with 1* and 2* while I work on the first area. I usually go slow with my game playing anyways till I know the 'rules'.

Phades

6* evos are in now. I have tree and malnaplis ready to go, but need miracle totems :(

Orders of magnitude better than needing light/dark pots or totems. So you wait another ~18 hours, no big deal.

I can't even seem to get a dumb earth idol to drop or a fire spirit after over 100 energy dumped into it.

spirits drop alright in the normal elemental dungeons. idols are fuck everything. They need to like quadriple the drop rate.

And is it me or does arena get real hard about Knight? its getting hard to roll higher lvl opponents, and many of these teams are super rigged.

Phades

spirits drop alright in the normal elemental dungeons. idols are fuck everything. They need to like quadriple the drop rate.

And is it me or does arena get real hard about Knight? its getting hard to roll higher lvl opponents, and many of these teams are super rigged.
I'm about 40 energy deep today for fire spirit attempts and not one spawn showed so far (~36 possible spawn attempts). I'm not even in the flipping tables moment of one showing, but not getting captured. Idols seem to mirror the metal dungeons for king captures. 2/5 is about "normal", but no consolation prizes typically (not that they are worthwhile anyhow) and no jackpot potential either while being targeted at a cost 10 energy higher reducing opportunities.

I needed other stuff too the past 2 days and didn't get most of it. To put it into perspective, I had zero materials to make cures and zero cure potions stocked (I usually don't need outside healing at all, unless frontier hunter or water dungeon...). Before I sold off my excess crap this morning, I had over 200 potions stocked with overflowing excess material all from drops trying to get the captures.

The knight thing, I'd liken to drawing a parrallel towards upswings in popularity and whales. I've ran through them and still hit them occasionally and I'm guessing most of those folks started around when I did. The higher tiers are most likely more diverse, as are the swaths of dead/inactive accounts you hit in the lower tiers.

Orders of magnitude better than needing light/dark pots or totems. So you wait another ~18 hours, no big deal.

I can't even seem to get a dumb earth idol to drop or a fire spirit after over 100 energy dumped into it.

Oh trust me, I know that feeling. I have an 86 energy bar, and I had to use 5 or 6 bars of stamina on idol day to get the stuff I needed. Close to 20 runs. And I didn't even need that much. 3 water idols and 2 fire idols was pretty much all I needed.

Phades

Oh trust me, I know that feeling. I have an 86 energy bar, and I had to use 5 or 6 bars of stamina on idol day to get the stuff I needed. Close to 20 runs. And I didn't even need that much. 3 water idols and 2 fire idols was pretty much all I needed.

You have 1 more energy point than I do currently. It is just annoying since I had tons of the earth idols specifically, but I had to get rid of them since I needed space over a month ago. I didn't start getting earth pulls or needed further earth evolutions till after 6* started to become a thing. Earth and water is what I had the most of, followed by light. What I needed mostly was fire. Now I'm just dragging everything along as it pops up although I should probably have hung onto my extra dragon mimics. I don't see myself wanting to deliberately engage in a run where I hit 4-5 of them in the weekly dungeon again in a single run. Roughly 3 in a row is my breaking point.

You have 1 more energy point than I do currently. It is just annoying since I had tons of the earth idols specifically, but I had to get rid of them since I needed space over a month ago. I didn't start getting earth pulls or needed further earth evolutions till after 6* started to become a thing. Earth and water is what I had the most of, followed by light. What I needed mostly was fire. Now I'm just dragging everything along as it pops up although I should probably have hung onto my extra dragon mimics. I don't see myself wanting to deliberately engage in a run where I hit 4-5 of them in the weekly dungeon again in a single run. Roughly 3 in a row is my breaking point.

Yea, I'm actually undecided which is worse: the drop rate on idols or the appearance rate of dark / light totems. I mean you blow 25 energy and then you get ONE idol the whole run. Everything except the last wave has a ridiculously low chance to drop. It sucks ass. And for people who are just a normal level, like level 40-60, they get like 1 run before they're out of energy, it's way unbalanced IMO. You could go months without getting the idol you need at that rate.

Phades

Yea, I'm actually undecided which is worse: the drop rate on idols or the appearance rate of dark / light totems. I mean you blow 25 energy and then you get ONE idol the whole run. Everything except the last wave has a ridiculously low chance to drop. It sucks ass. And for people who are just a normal level, like level 40-60, they get like 1 run before they're out of energy, it's way unbalanced IMO. You could go months without getting the idol you need at that rate.

I used to time my level ups for tuesday so I could get more runs in.

Looks like I'm doing some totem runs tomorrow.

Since FH is coming up soon, I just want to remind everyone that killing two enemies at a time will get you the same amount of multi-kill bonus as killing everything at once. It's much safer to do that than to leave weakened enemies around, who can still wreck your face, though you'll probably miss out on some spark bonuses. This is also the best way to get full multi-kill bonuses on things like all-slime rounds without Aem or Aisha.

I used to time my level ups for tuesday so I could get more runs in.

Well yea I do too, but that still gets you at best one more bar of stamina. Considering how low the drop rate and how difficult it can be to get the type you need, you can often run two full bars of stamina and get jack shit.

Looks like I'm doing some totem runs tomorrow.

Since FH is coming up soon, I just want to remind everyone that killing two enemies at a time will get you the same amount of multi-kill bonus as killing everything at once. It's much safer to do that than to leave weakened enemies around, who can still wreck your face, though you'll probably miss out on some spark bonuses. This is also the best way to get full multi-kill bonuses on things like all-slime rounds without Aem or Aisha.

Hmm, so you're saying it's best to single target kill everything but 2 enemies, then finish off the last 2 with AoE BB? I didn't know that. Although I think you'd also miss out on some overkill damage this way too.

Hmm, so you're saying it's best to single target kill everything but 2 enemies, then finish off the last 2 with AoE BB? I didn't know that. Although I think you'd also miss out on some overkill damage this way too.
No, but do kill at least two at a time.

For example, assume you get the opening round with 6 slimes. It would work best to have three of your guys target one and another three target another, if you're confident that you'll end up killing both of them, and then repeat two more times. This would get you more points than if you were to kill 5 at once and then the last one on its own.

The trick is to make sure that whenever you kill something, more than one enemy dies on that round, so you can trigger a multi-kill bonus. In the above example, if you kill three pairs, all 6 slimes would have died in "multi-kill," whereas if you kill 5 and then 1, you only get 5 slimes in "multi-kill" and 1 as a regular kill.

EDIT: And why three pairs of twos instead of two groups of three? Overkill bonus. You can do even better if you kill all six at once with BB spam and get a massive spark bonus, but that's hard to do against slimes.

Phades

Well yea I do too, but that still gets you at best one more bar of stamina. Considering how low the drop rate and how difficult it can be to get the type you need, you can often run two full bars of stamina and get jack shit.
Well I got plenty of "stuff", just not typically what I needed. Earlier levels were far easier to level up with too. I distinctly recall leveling up twice in a day before on more than one occasion. That said, the combination of level up with energy refill for total up vs downtime seems to only get worse the higher level I go. IE. I'm contrained more by the hands on the clock than I am constrained by what my theoretical total stamina amount would be. Long past are the days where I would "lose time" due to my energy bar being full and not continuing to accumulate energy. You, I, and others here could easily not play the game for 12-14 hours and not miss a damn thing because of it. Folks north of 120 energy could go nearly 24 hours and not miss a damn thing. It is a design flaw intended to encourage folks to buy/use gems. I know when I get that high in level, I'm probably not even going to bother playing on monday and wednesday unless something else very compelling is going on.

EDIT: And why three pairs of twos instead of two groups of three? Overkill bonus. You can do even better if you kill all six at once with BB spam and get a massive spark bonus, but that's hard to do against slimes.

Fujin potions are the cop out solution. The first turn bonus is greater than the no items used bonus. The overkill and spark additions are just icing on the cake.

My problem has always been that I never get the right combination of enemies afterwards that even make the top end rewards possible (theoretical or realistically).

Well I got plenty of "stuff", just not typically what I needed. Earlier levels were far easier to level up with too. I distinctly recall leveling up twice in a day before on more than one occasion. That said, the combination of level up with energy refill for total up vs downtime seems to only get worse the higher level I go. IE. I'm contrained more by the hands on the clock than I am constrained by what my theoretical total stamina amount would be. Long past are the days where I would "lose time" due to my energy bar being full and not continuing to accumulate energy. You, I, and others here could easily not play the game for 12-14 hours and not miss a damn thing because of it. Folks north of 120 energy could go nearly 24 hours and not miss a damn thing. It is a design flaw intended to encourage folks to buy/use gems. I know when I get that high in level, I'm probably not even going to bother playing on monday and wednesday unless something else very compelling is going on.

I actually submitted feedback to the devs for that exact reason. I know there's a fine line where it becomes too easy to burn through content, but I think a good balance between keeping players happy and increasing the rate at which high level players burn through content would be to reduce the energy refresh timer as you level up. It could be a very, very small reduction, like 1-2 seconds per summoner level. The max level currently is 150, so at 2 seconds per level that would be a reduction of 300 seconds (5 minutes) per energy, so it at that point you'd be recovering energy at 1 energy / 5 minutes.

This might be too much though, so even something like 1.5 seconds per level or 1 second per level would be very welcome. Recovering a full bar of energy at max level takes 62 hours, which is completely broken IMO.

I think somewhere around summoner level 60-70 more energy sometimes starts to feel like a punishment rather than a reward.

Phades

Well it is worse than that considering how arena orbs are refreshed on level up as well.

Early game, once you get kitted out properly, you can fly through the arena ranks if you are mildly paying attention. This isn't just because the point totals are lower, but because you are refreshing those orbs 2-5 times a day easily outpacing older accounts by orders of magnitude getting you "caught up" into the roughly kight classification relatively quickly.

It is pretty silly actually. The game on the tablet I have caught up and nearly surpassed the one on my phone at one point due to having better slightly pulls and being far more dillegent about the arena orb and level up refresh mechanics. This would be in spite of it starting about 2-3 weeks after my original game.

The 3 reliable ways I use to get really high points in Frontier Hunter are the Spark bonus, Elemental weakness, and multi-kill.

Spark Bonus is what I personally focus on. I've had levels in the past with > 100K spark bonus for a single wave. I've acquired 35-40K even against single target waves. My top score all combined was over 300K just from sparks.

Multi-kill relies a little on luck(can't multi-kill waves with only one enemy), but like said above if you can kill in pairs those bonuses add up very well.

I abuse the crap out of Elemental Weakness on the Jewel god waves, but don't generally use Rainbow parties on FH end, I don't have the units.

Overkill bonus is a good bonus but the main problem I have with them is when I go out of my way to utilize them, I frequently screw up the following round. Like I do much better to start a wave with full BBs, and I can't do that while overkilling the prior wave.

1 and 3 turn kills are rarely doable past the first wave in FH end anyway.

I don't even understand the "Attack bonus". I can do full BBs and get very little, and do nothing but standard attacks and get a very high one.

Well it is worse than that considering how arena orbs are refreshed on level up as well.

Early game, once you get kitted out properly, you can fly through the arena ranks if you are mildly paying attention. This isn't just because the point totals are lower, but because you are refreshing those orbs 2-5 times a day easily outpacing older accounts by orders of magnitude getting you "caught up" into the roughly kight classification relatively quickly.

It is pretty silly actually. The game on the tablet I have caught up and nearly surpassed the one on my phone at one point due to having better slightly pulls and being far more dillegent about the arena orb and level up refresh mechanics. This would be in spite of it starting about 2-3 weeks after my original game.

Yea, I completely ignored arena until recently. I'm up to about 45,000 arena points but my account is level 91 or something. If I knew what I was doing, assuming an average of 180 points per win, I could have gotten 91 * 3 * 165 = 45,045 points just from level ups alone. As it stands, probably only a fraction of that has come from using arena orbs on level up.

The 3 reliable ways I use to get really high points in Frontier Hunter are the Spark bonus, Elemental weakness, and multi-kill.

Spark Bonus is what I personally focus on. I've had levels in the past with > 100K spark bonus for a single wave. I've acquired 35-40K even against single target waves. My top score all combined was over 300K just from sparks.

Multi-kill relies a little on luck(can't multi-kill waves with only one enemy), but like said above if you can kill in pairs those bonuses add up very well.

I abuse the crap out of Elemental Weakness on the Jewel god waves, but don't generally use Rainbow parties on FH end, I don't have the units.

Overkill bonus is a good bonus but the main problem I have with them is when I go out of my way to utilize them, I frequently screw up the following round. Like I do much better to start a wave with full BBs, and I can't do that while overkilling the prior wave.

I don't even understand the "Attack bonus". I can do full BBs and get very little, and do nothing but standard attacks and get a very high one.

I'm still interested in how someone can "practice" sparking. How can you use a strategy that is any better than just clicking every unit as fast as you possibly can? As for the Attack Bonus, is it possible it means the number of attacks that went off in a round? Like suppose Serin has a 16-hit attack (I forget the exact number). Each time she attacks, you get +16 to this number, and at the end it adds everything up and you get a bonus from it.

Phades

I'm still interested in how someone can "practice" sparking. How can you use a strategy that is any better than just clicking every unit as fast as you possibly can?
There are a few characters that are "easy mode" (Stya, douglas, maidens... etc) for sparking. Lots of characters out there are less intuitive (delayed attacks like Elimo) or downright impossible to maximize sparking (Mega/Lava I'm looking at you...). It really depends on what you have, but if what you have is a bunch of Serin and Kikuri, well that will definately change your perspective on the matter.

Are there any good beginner's guides that aren't listed here?

I've got a solid leader (World Tree Altro) but I'm starting to get stuck around the Fire Lord something (Chapter 2 act 1 boss guy) and just wondering about plans, I figure I just need to use more Water guys but confused on what are good 'starter' guys to level and stuff.

There are a few characters that are "easy mode" (Stya, douglas, maidens... etc) for sparking. Lots of characters out there are less intuitive (delayed attacks like Elimo) or downright impossible to maximize sparking (Mega/Lava I'm looking at you...). It really depends on what you have, but if what you have is a bunch of Serin and Kikuri, well that will definately change your perspective on the matter.

Well sure but that's just a metter of picking units that have quick lead-in animations and have many hits that land in rapid succession. Don't you still just spam click all the units?

Well sure but that's just a metter of picking units that have quick lead-in animations and have many hits that land in rapid succession. Don't you still just spam click all the units?

Well, my two healers I regularly use are Elimo and a Tree.

Both do a bunch of attacks in a very short window, but if you spam both they won't remotely come close to attacking at the same time.

That's the kind of thing I practiced. I attack with Elimo, pause, attack with melee guys, slight pause, attack with tree.

Done right everything stacks, and sparks go through the roof.

I've become so used to this timing, that I actually increase my score by using Elimo over using a Magress (the alternate unit), because Elimo sparks better than Magress does.

At least I did until they added that Weiss wave, where I couldn't do enough damage with Elimo to kill Weiss pre-buff. Man I hated that wave.

Fujin potions are the cop out solution. The first turn bonus is greater than the no items used bonus. The overkill and spark additions are just icing on the cake.

My problem has always been that I never get the right combination of enemies afterwards that even make the top end rewards possible (theoretical or realistically).
I don't remember who said it (Birgitte, I think), but someone on this thread said to always pick the Protector Set, and that's what I've been doing. The flute item in that really does make a huge difference sometimes, since it's sometimes as good as Divine Light and a bunch of Fujin Potions all rolled into one. It's so good that it makes me wonder whether Omni Gizmo is actually a much stronger sphere than I think.

What team do you run? I can get a good amount of spark bonus (but it's nothing like yours), but I still have to wait for those lucky runs, where the right waves show up, for me to pass the 500k barrier.

And yeah, that Weiss wave is flat out bullshit. I beat it twice, but each time I lost the subsequent round because I had to blow all of my items on it. The Aem wave, by contrast, was free points.

Phades

For my units? Hell no. I'd miss large group of potential hits in sparks if I did that with Lava, Vargas, Phoenix and Lancia. There will always be a section of his for me that are impossible or near impossible to spark reliably.

If I had an Elmino as an assist leader, my attack sequence would go something like Elimo->pause->Lava->pause->pause->Phoenix->pause->Vargas->everyone else who is faster on the draw than vargas.

Shida would be a similar situation with Lava->shida->pause->phoenix->pause->vargas->everyone else who is faster on the draw than vargas.

The game on the tablet is way different though. Elimo-> pause -> Dean-> half pause-> Everyone who strikes faster than dean except Selena-> Selena. I get waaaaaaaay more sparks on this team by comparison and it is way easier.

I don't remember who said it (Birgitte, I think), but someone on this thread said to always pick the Protector Set, and that's what I've been doing. The flute item in that really does make a huge difference sometimes, since it's sometimes as good as Divine Light and a bunch of Fujin Potions all rolled into one. It's so good that it makes me wonder whether Omni Gizmo is actually a much stronger sphere than I think.

Flutes>>>>>>>>Gizmo, unless you are talking on Serin or Douglas, but in either instance I have no base to compare from since I don't have either unit. However, I also bring my own defense buff, so going guardian is fairly redundant. Personally I don't need the atk potions either, but that is another argument to be had elsewhere.

Is Felneus going to be worth bringing for his leader skill even if the SBB isn't unlocked? I'm going to evolve him to 6* tomorrow, and then use 2 keys worth of MP in hopes of getting him to max level, but I seriously seriously doubt I'll be able to get his BB up to level 10 in a single day, even if I spam the BB fodder level in Cave of Flames all day long.

And suddenly I get an image in my head of someone actually doing this with a thought bubble to the effect of "I luvs my waifus". *insert hit/spark sound effects*
If you have a capacitative screen (which I'm sure you do), you can also use a banana as a stylus. I was showing this to someone once, and it blew his mind.

What team do you run? I can get a good amount of spark bonus (but it's nothing like yours), but I still have to wait for those lucky runs, where the right waves show up, for me to pass the 500k barrier.

My best spark team is Elimo + Tree + 3 Kikuri.

And while yes, you can do pretty much anything and get some sparks with Kikuri, maximizing sparks is as hard with her as with anyone else.

I change my attack pattern depending on where the enemy unit is, and I change the timing when brave bursts become involved.

Someone with a Kikuri team rubbing their face across the screen won't come anywhere near 100K spark points in a single round.

The only reason I started practicing sparking at all was Frontier Hunter.

Kreed

Are there any good beginner's guides that aren't listed here?

I've got a solid leader (World Tree Altro) but I'm starting to get stuck around the Fire Lord something (Chapter 2 act 1 boss guy) and just wondering about plans, I figure I just need to use more Water guys but confused on what are good 'starter' guys to level and stuff.

Feel free to make mono teams of "filler" monsters until you pull better ones. Just don't spend a lot of time on them since outside of the free healers, they aren't worth keeping long term over what you summon from the rare machine/farm from the vortex later.

Credo

Am I the only one who's been getting a connection error constantly for 10 minutes? I was looking forward to getting miracle totems today, but it seems to be dead for me at least.

Phades

Am I the only one who's been getting a connection error constantly for 10 minutes? I was looking forward to getting miracle totems today, but it seems to be dead for me at least.

It is related to the scheduled downtime. Stuff is likely broken and they are probably trying to fix it. So instead of the servers being up by (6am PST?) they will probably be up by around 10am instead if it is anything like last time.

Top Bottom