• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Phades

Until they introduce alternate evolution paths.

That's something that should have existed from the game's inception if that were to be a thing. It would have added a lot of depth potential too without pushing a power creep as well.

A shame really.

Xetherion

Is there any reason other than collection purposes to keep and develop old units if I pull them? For example I recently got Alice, Sefia and Lemia during some pulls. I have plenty of newer units that far outclass them so I doubt I will ever use them.

What are alternate evolution paths?

Phades

Is there any reason other than collection purposes to keep and develop old units if I pull them? For example I recently got Alice, Sefia and Lemia during some pulls. I have plenty of newer units that far outclass them so I doubt I will ever use them.

Sefia is serviceable if you were to build a mono holy BB spam team, or as an alternate for an arena leader like lodin/dia/miku. Lemia could be useful for karma farming if you didn't have zelnite and she is like nalmika with status effects application on the SBB (could be useful in raids). I got nothing to make alice seem more sexy though, which is a shame since healing bundled with an offensive BB isn't exactly common.

Although even if you don't have a specific use for the unit in a single squad, some of them could be useful fillers for alternate groups in trials or upcomming grand gaia chronicle missions where you can bring multiple groups (they are for evolving karl, seria, grah, etc. at least from what i've read).

If you really need the space, I wouldn't feel bad about fusing them away though.

The concept would be like something akin to warsong where a unit could be different depending on which materials used to evolve it leading to different results. The mechanic doesn't exist in brave frontier. That was a "what if" kind of sentiment really.

Kreed

Some of the other mobile phone collection games (Puzzles and Dragons, Monster Strike, etc...) have introduced the concept into their games where you have a choice of evolving a character into one of 2 or more forms depending on the evolution materials you use.

The reason I mentioned it is because in Puzzles and Dragons for example, older out of date monsters will often get new evolutions added in order to give them new skills and keep them up to date with the content as the difficulty increases. I wouldn't be surprised if Brave Frontier introduces this at some point.

Corgi

Banned
With new dungeons and raids coming out that require certain party setups, it's best to keep stuff around. And with all the free gems this month, no reason not to dedicate a few on expanding your inventory for units and items.

Xetherion

Sefia is serviceable if you were to build a mono holy BB spam team, or as an alternate for an arena leader like lodin/dia/miku. Lemia could be useful for karma farming if you didn't have zelnite and she is like nalmika with status effects application on the SBB (could be useful in raids). I got nothing to make alice seem more sexy though, which is a shame since healing bundled with an offensive BB isn't exactly common.

Although even if you don't have a specific use for the unit in a single squad, some of them could be useful fillers for alternate groups in trials or upcomming grand gaia chronicle missions where you can bring multiple groups (they are for evolving karl, seria, grah, etc. at least from what i've read).

If you really need the space, I wouldn't feel bad about fusing them away though.

The concept would be like something akin to warsong where a unit could be different depending on which materials used to evolve it leading to different results. The mechanic doesn't exist in brave frontier. That was a "what if" kind of sentiment really.

After looking up Sefia's 6* form i decided she's worth keeping. I fused Lemia because I have a Pumqueen Semira for status ailments. I kept Alice for now too, I have a ton of Dark units so I might build a mono Dark team at some point.

Alternate evolutions sound great, I hope BF does this eventually.

HomesIice

Not too sure what to do for the upcoming rate up, is Elza worth pulling if I already have Luther?
Do note that I haven't gotten an Arius or Garnan yet from that batch of rate ups so theres that?

broz0rs

Not too sure what to do for the upcoming rate up, is Elza worth pulling if I already have Luther?
Do note that I haven't gotten an Arius or Garnan yet from that batch of rate ups so theres that?

I wouldn't do it, but Elza would make a dark team quite formidable.

Corgi

Banned
urgh. maxwell is just too frustrating. Got the ideal team (lily, daravnshel, lilth, zelnite, tree, grah friend).

Yet i get wonked and run out of revives and tree/dravanshel dies always around 50%.

wish its attack focus wasn't so random.

that genesis spam.

Phades

urgh. maxwell is just too frustrating. Got the ideal team (lily, daravnshel, lilth, zelnite, tree, grah friend).

Yet i get wonked and run out of revives and tree/dravanshel dies always around 50%.

wish its attack focus wasn't so random.

that genesis spam.

No follow up team options to get that last 40~50%?

Even if you don't have another lilith, throwing in Edea, Lorand, Logan, Amy, or rickel should work out ok too. Plus you should already have grah unless something bad happened.

Teambuilding wise, there are plenty of folks who build a 2nd team to try and power through the remaining HP and aren't as defensively inclined and manage to find success.

I'll be giving it my first attempt tonight using a similar methodology. My problem is going to lie within status removal/prevention in the first two fights mandating specific picks for leaders and I don't anticipate that group being able to take down maxwell entirely on its own.

Lily (L)
Lilith
Rashil/lancia (i'm honestly torn on which will work out better here)
Amy
Zelban
Darvenshel (friend)

My 2nd group is heavily damage tilted and I'll be using one of my inlaw's Maxwell to help push that through as much as possible and i'll be fujin tonicing the hell out of them.

Elulu (L)
Raydn
SGX
Michele
Loch
Maxwell (friend)

My hope is that I'll blow out whatever HP maxwell has remaining and edge out the revival hp before getting obliterated in return damage leaving just a little bit left over for my last crew to come in and finish the job.

Grahdens (L)
Serin
Cayena
Metal mimic
Edea
Either Grahdens or Luther friend here

No healers, since I don't have the mitigators to matter, nor will I have time to build BB properly by this point either. Just 1-2 rounds to get that last little bit of damage in and hope for the best.

Corgi

Banned
having no alt damage mitigation and not enough spheres and probably run out of BB items by then, but yeah would be fucked by 2nd team.

and people can beat him with 1 team, makes me want to win on those terms lol.

Phades

and people can beat him with 1 team, makes me want to win on those terms lol.

Run double darvenshel then and have them alternate in BB release. I've read some folks looking favorably upon that approach rather than trying to boost BB production x2.

Offhand I recall a setup working something like the following with one squad.

Lily (L)
Darvenshel
Lilith
Zelha
Healer (i dont recall which)
Darvenshel (friend)

Of coruse, the darvenshels had dangela/evil shard meaning 5 BB per turn plus another 3 from lily. So after 3 turns, if he doesn't get hit at all or a single brave crystal, he will have enough charged up to use his BB automatically (22 BC to fill). So, alternating the two, you get 2/3rds uptime automatically for 50% reduction. If 6 BC/fill arrive from anywhere during those 2 turns of uptime, then you achieve 100% uptime while still maintaining some offensive capacity through the regular BB use.

Corgi

Banned
Run double darvenshel then and have them alternate in BB release. I've read some folks looking favorably upon that approach rather than trying to boost BB production x2.

Offhand I recall a setup working something like the following with one squad.

Lily (L)
Darvenshel
Lilith
Zelha
Healer (i dont recall which)
Darvenshel (friend)

Of coruse, the darvenshels had dangela/evil shard meaning 5 BB per turn plus another 3 from lily. So after 3 turns, if he doesn't get hit at all or a single brave crystal, he will have enough charged up to use his BB automatically (22 BC to fill). So, alternating the two, you get 2/3rds uptime automatically for 50% reduction. If 6 BC/fill arrive from anywhere during those 2 turns of uptime, then you achieve 100% uptime while still maintaining some offensive capacity through the regular BB use.

tried double darvanshel too. The issue at grah's LS helps quite a bit if maxwell decides to target your darvanshel with rune and then spam him to death (which will definitely happen).

You don't really need damage mitigation up the whole time either. The times i fail i'd have failed with damage mitigation up or not.

Think i just might wait until the next FH and hope evil shard is a reward again (no where near the level for the arena award).

FH rewards are out and new milestone rewards. Easy 5 gems from the milestones. There is also a discounted anniversary summon ticket for 500 bp. Need to get that ticket for Elza.

Corgi

Banned
used my 50 gems i had left over. got pretty decent pulls imo.

rngesus was on my side when the very last pull i had got me an anima elza.

Arius

3 freaking Garnan's

Kajah

kuda

kuhla

and some other stuff.

but had worse pulls before.

still won't help me beat maxwell though lol.

Phades

tried double darvanshel too. The issue at grah's LS helps quite a bit if maxwell decides to target your darvanshel with rune and then spam him to death (which will definitely happen).

You don't really need damage mitigation up the whole time either. The times i fail i'd have failed with damage mitigation up or not.

Think i just might wait until the next FH and hope evil shard is a reward again (no where near the level for the arena award).

My problems ended up being from not having the damage reduction up. 1 round without it up and meteor hitting twice, plus 2 destiny and genesis is wrecking my face and I can't seem to keep the first group up and healthy past turns 15-17 since I also have maxwell below 60~50% at that point. My 2nd group does exactly what i think it should do, I just need to get the timing down better for optimal performance and get the first kill in. I've been falling short of what I need to do with it. 3rd group just gets punked like I thought it would as well and if the turn count is near the top 5 turns where not as much is going on, they last up until about the destiny round and dealing about 5~7% damage total. Although it is amusing to see Maxwel use the "I'm going to be an ass" AI without the ignore defense buff up and just waste a bunch of attacks on the metal mimic.

Boo. :(

FH rewards are out and new milestone rewards. Easy 5 gems from the milestones. There is also a discounted anniversary summon ticket for 500 bp. Need to get that ticket for Elza.
If i read it right, that ticket should be available once every friday for the next couple of weeks. The new tiers of rewards for daily points is nice too. +3 in total summon tickets at the end and a sphere frog.

broz0rs

If i read it right, that ticket should be available once every friday for the next couple of weeks. The new tiers of rewards for daily points is nice too. +3 in total summon tickets at the end and a sphere frog.

phew.. thank goodness I saved my points instead of redeeming it right away for a full priced ticket.

------------------

what's the optimal order for SBB buffs?
crit > atk > def ignore > spark ?

Phades

what's the optimal order for SBB buffs?
crit > atk > def ignore > spark ?
You had it mostly right, since its multipliers before additions.

Element change->Crit -> Spark -> atk -> def ignore.

Element first, since it will happen regardless of timing or RNG. Crit next then spark, since it takes at least two to tango and you already got someone throwing up crit with an attack most likely. The rest is just gravy.

Although there are arguments for crit/spark before element depending on which is the hitting unit, what element is reqired, and so on. Of course there is always maxwell too, which basically goes first due to the hit pattern on the god and relative buff strength with potentially favorable buff overwrites to be had.

So, theoretical group order.

SGX->Elza->Michele->Dilma->everyone else. Element specific buffers are nice too (Ranma, Sodis, Zeyphr, etc), but when stacking like this, they don't really get to shine like others since other element specific folks already went by the time its their turn.

There are also some oddballs too, like raydn, who for whatever reason doesn't get the benefit from his own buff the turn he throws it up there.

5 pulls from 15 gems and 2 Summon Tickets.
I got two out of the three featured units (Arius[Breaker] and Garnan [Lord]).

Iron Shield Darven (Lord)
Twins Il and Mina (Breaker)
Gold Warrior Rina (Already got her [Anima])

5 pulls from 15 gems and 2 Summon Tickets.
I got two out of the three featured units (Arius[Breaker] and Garnan [Lord]).

Iron Shield Darven (Lord)
Twins Il and Mina (Breaker)
Gold Warrior Rina (Already got her [Anima])
I pulled those two featured units too, different type.
Have to hold onto my oracle Elza for next FH.

I've been trying to stat imp farm.

These things are stupid rare. Spent probably 500 energy so far to get 2. Both Recovery. /sigh.

I'd be perfectly ok if Recovery imps didn't even exist, they are so worthless.

Corgi

Banned
pulled a 3* falma lmao.

at least he's getting a pretty good 6* form so no biggie. am surprised you can get 3* still.

Yeah when you get one and the summon gate is gold and never turns red....I rage.

The gold gate is fine if what pops out is a Tree.

It's when it's something other than a healer that it's a total letdown.

Part of me really hopes that 6* Thunderbird is awesome though. Like a 35 hit on all enemies SBB w/Paralyze and Duel-SGX level crit buff. Just because I'd love to see the raging from all those who deemed him terrible enough to fuse away every last copy.

Ran through Selena with a Maxwell-style crit party (Maxwell/Deemo leads, Michele, Elza, Maxwell, Darvanshel). I wish I had better Thunder units.

I did have to gem but meh,, it's still a net + for gems for the 3 missions.

So now I have Lexida. I must admit I don't know what to do with it. With no +ATK and that the extra hits don't work on BBs, I threw it on an Arena party member for now.

Any thoughts on how to use Lexida?

Phades

Any thoughts on how to use Lexida?

I'm pretty sure it was meant to be an arena sphere, or contingentcy for single target encounters in FH. I mean, in theory you could have Kuda/Zelha/Dia as lead with 3 people equipped with hallowed sphere, sinister sphere, and lexida while the other two have agies cloaks and most likely have SBB on everyone the first round.

Outside of that, i'm not entirely certain. I mean for crit style squads you want things that augment crit, atk, and spark and that does none of those things, while a tanky team demands +HP/DEF and high sustain, so it could work in the tanky setup given the +30hp +regen effect and bonus potential HC/BC drops unlike the halloween spheres. I'd guess situationally useful in trial 004 depending on how that plays out transitioning between squad 1 and squad 2. I haven't read anything bad about that sphere, but folks seem to regard Atro's sphere and Magress's sphere in higher regard.

Corgi

Banned
lexida + 2 halloween spheres = winning pretty much any arena match no matter the team setup you or they have, unless you are really unlucky with BB/SBB activation.

Man I feel like Maxwell is at the tip of my reach now. Getting consistently to around when she does 2 destinies.

Really wish there was an easier way to get evil shard than arena or hoping its a FH reward.

Phades

lexida + 2 halloween spheres = winning pretty much any arena match no matter the team setup you or they have, unless you are really unlucky with BB/SBB activation.

Man I feel like Maxwell is at the tip of my reach now. Getting consistently to around when she does 2 destinies.

Really wish there was an easier way to get evil shard than arena or hoping its a FH reward.

IIRC there is a sphere that is equivilant from raids, but yeah you need raids....

Demon crown would be the one. Even if raids were out, that sounds like a lot of farming since it requires 2 other raid spheres in its crafting chain. But, folks will be going for mailice jewels anyhow, so I guess it isn't unreasonable by comparison.

Shouta

I really need to get Maxwell for all that extra power. I almost got to her a few times but Narza being 5 star still kind of hurts. I need his 6 star form for the extra stats. I have a maxed Darvanshel but he doesn't deal with the stat problems while allowing me some offensive leader skills.

Phades

I really need to get Maxwell for all that extra power. I almost got to her a few times but Narza being 5 star still kind of hurts. I need his 6 star form for the extra stats. I have a maxed Darvanshel but he doesn't deal with the stat problems while allowing me some offensive leader skills.

Try a dual squad strategy similar to those people (like me) who don't have good/reliable status prevention/removal options.

So, first squad Nazra (drevas sphere?), Low BC cost healer, BC drop boost character, Zelban, Damage dealer/buffer, (insert effective friend here).

Basically looking to keep the curse/paralysis a non-issue and get you to maxwell with minimal investment.

Second squad bring your Darvenshel (I really like the Dangela/Evil shard on this guy), lillith, spark/crit buffer, BB sustain, healer (rashil turned out to be rather nice due to the angel idol buff), friend slot. Grah is useful here too, but not in the way I anticipated initially. Grah is very hard to keep alive, so basically after I got his BB charged, I didn't bother trying to keep him alive in order to save resources. Then after I triggered endless and got maxwell down to being time to kill him outright, I brought grah back to flip his BB and give everyone the dark buff for extra damage to get the second death down quickly. Once I made this realization, I felt pretty stupid in all my failed attempts prior.

Shouta

I definitely need to get my secondary chars maxed out if I want to do a dual squad approach. I've got Lancia, Rashil, and Elimo for healing then I have all 3 damage reduction guys, Oulu, Narza, and Darvanshel. So I'm actually covered on that front. It's getting the other components and the equipment to support them that's the thing now.

Phades

I definitely need to get my secondary chars maxed out if I want to do a dual squad approach. I've got Lancia, Rashil, and Elimo for healing then I have all 3 damage reduction guys, Oulu, Narza, and Darvanshel. So I'm actually covered on that front. It's getting the other components and the equipment to support them that's the thing now.

I pulled a darvenshel&lily matah while trying for kuda and raced to get them ready
Little did I know that Alyut is nice for this too and i got him up and going in the space of the weekend.

Sadly, I have no tree, or a melchio that was ready, or a status immunity leader (aside from the darvenshel I just got). Melchio was being more stubborn than lily to get his BB up, so I ended up putting that on the back burner.

My first squad ended up being

Lily matah sbb 4 with Drevas for the hp/def. (L)
Zelban
Lilith
Amy
Lancia
Darvenshel (Assist)

Second was

Grah (L) Medula/light armor
Alyut SBB 4 only Medula
Rashil Medula
Raydn Medula/Omni gizmo
Darvenshel Dangela/Evilshard
Zelnite (assist /w anima typing) Dangela/Evil shard The guy had over 11k hp, i was quite surpried.

Basically, I really liked having passive healing during the fights which let me be more flexible with the healers I had (which is lancia and rashil). Between Zelnite and Alyut's SBB, they basically healed everyone to full off of normal attacks when things like x2 destiny->meteor->x3 genesis didn't happen. Rashil having the angel Idol buff let me use him without fear during destiny rounds, because Maxwell could go full troll and try to blow him up and it just wouldn't matter at all. I'm sure the crit buff helped marginally as well, but that angel icon buff ended up saving him at least twice in the successful attempt I had.

Guarding during rune/SS rounds was the only other real thing to watch for really. Aside from that, it was mostly "common sense stuff" like saving BBs to be used together to create burst damage when required. I would have tried to use my lilith and lancia in the 2nd team, but my lancia was a guardian, so her HP count with a medulla was less than 7k and my lilith with a legwand was barely over 7k due to being an oracle, so both of them would routinely get knocked out on any turn that the ignore defense buff was up and maxwell decided to use genesis 3 times in a row (which was like 3 times every time I tried to do the trial...). There were several times I considered using the Kuhla off my friends listing to push up my 2nd team's HP instead of zelnite, but ended up reconsidering once I found the zelnite i ended up using with the absurd HP count.

Kreed

I've been attempting Maxwell but I've been having issues getting the job done due to not having Oulu, Narza, or Darvanshel myself (so I only play it when someone has one of these three up). The main team I've been attempting the Trial with are Lily Matah with a Darvanshel friend, along with Lilith, Themis, Leorone, and Luther (if I use Oulu as the friend I swap out Luther with Exvehl). Usually where I fail is either Maxwell trolling and outright killing the defense unit friend or my defense unit not having the BB needed to use shield and Maxwell killing too many of my team members.

Phades

I've been attempting Maxwell but I've been having issues getting the job done due to not having Oulu, Narza, or Darvanshel myself (so I only play it when someone has one of these three up). The main team I've been attempting the Trial with are Lily Matah with a Darvanshel friend, along with Lilith, Themis, Leorone, and Luther (if I use Oulu as the friend I swap out Luther with Exvehl). Usually where I fail is either Maxwell trolling and outright killing the defense unit friend or my defense unit not having the BB needed to use shield and Maxwell killing too many of my team members.

Like I suggested before, you are going to have to do a multi-squad strategy since you don't have a component to make it work with one squad.

Basically same guidelines for the first squad where you are heavy on the BB generation and status immunity. The second squad, will also have the damage reduction friend, but you will need to bring either a grah lead or someone who can give +30%hp (or both grah and oulu) to everyone . I say this mainly because I've watched an anima (not mine) darvenshel with a legwand get destroyed in the rune/SS rounds while guarding, even moreso on turn 20 when double destiny happens. That extra 1800~2100 hp makes all the difference in the world (in the instance of grah, you get les hp, but more in damage reduction in exchange).

The real problem then becomes damage output vs. crystal/BB gen. Characters like Lodin, Alyut, Miku, etc really smooth that out with the 3 per turn BB gen. Throwing that in with an increase crystal gen unit Uda, Zelnite, or Felenus (anima typing) compliment that well and should keep the engine going. However, even when you have those things, you will still encounter instances where you will need to either fujin your healer or mitigation unit in order to keep going and unless you get really unlucky, it should only happen 2-3 times.

Dreavus

What is the best way to rank up your Summoner level? I'm sitting at 86 and have a bunch of 6 stars ready to go but I can't only use 3 of them because of cost limits. Should I just keep doing "story" missions?

Shouta

Just got a Sword God Reed (Guardian) from the new Vortex Dungeon. His leader skill is a 25% Atk, Def, Rec, and HP when all 6 elements are in the party. That's kinda nice. He also has a BB gauge increase + damage Burst. He's 5 star only right now so stats are a little underwhelming but when he gets a 6 star, he should be pretty usable, probably?

I might stick him in a group with Oulu for all that extra HP, lol.

The Fourfold PIllar in the last dungeon of St. Lamia has the best XP to energy ratio in the game. You should grind there to get your summoner level up. It's also easy so just put it on auto and clear out your items/units when it gets full.

Got an anima Reed after a couple of attempts. Might do it for a chance of burst frog or Fire Crystal to show up. Fused away my two guardians and oracle Reed.

Corgi

Banned
got a lord reed after 1st try. didn't realize he would hit so hard, so had to gem. no biggie. I'm usually fine with geming on stages that reward with gems lol.

broz0rs

I easily beat Reed with an all water team that has Oulu and Elimo, but he didn't drop. I felt confident and ran a Lodin and Maxwell team and consequently got wrecked lol.

The Fourfold PIllar in the last dungeon of St. Lamia has the best XP to energy ratio in the game. You should grind there to get your summoner level up. It's also easy so just put it on auto and clear out your items/units when it gets full.

This isn't true anymore, but you have to go MUCH MUCH further to get one with a better ratio.

The current winner is the last mission currently in the game, Call of the Storm, which is 23 energy for 7200 XP (313.04 XP/Energy as compared to Fourfold Pillar's 260.

The Final Boss levels of Lizeria onward are all ahead of Fourfold pillar. Once you get to Agni (middle map of the Agni region) every mission is better.

Still, the advice of grinding Fourfold Pillar is not bad, if you need Cost to use units some of those later missions will be tough.

got a lord reed after 1st try. didn't realize he would hit so hard, so had to gem. no biggie. I'm usually fine with geming on stages that reward with gems lol.

Note that these guys don't hit all that hard for the first several rounds if you leave their pets alive.

I think these dungeons were specifically designed to make single target BB/SBBs useful.

Corgi

Banned
Note that these guys don't hit all that hard for the first several rounds if you leave their pets alive.

I think these dungeons were specifically designed to make single target BB/SBBs useful.

well yeah, was trying to wipe him with zebra/maxwell sbb to heaven, but didn't work out lol.

even with darvanshel, still got wiped.

Dreavus

Just got a Sword God Reed (Guardian) from the new Vortex Dungeon. His leader skill is a 25% Atk, Def, Rec, and HP when all 6 elements are in the party. That's kinda nice. He also has a BB gauge increase + damage Burst. He's 5 star only right now so stats are a little underwhelming but when he gets a 6 star, he should be pretty usable, probably?

I might stick him in a group with Oulu for all that extra HP, lol.

Thanks, I've started running through it a bunch now!

Damn that stage has a lot of floors.

EDIT: Yeah, it's strictly to get my cost up. I can only run 3 6-stars where I am now. I'd probably have trouble making it to that mission Birgitte.

Top Bottom