• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Enjolras

Neo Member
Just gotten onto Chapter 5, and almost instantly, my desire to play has practically gone. I still want to level up my jobs/characters, but I can't find myself caring about the plot any more. I'll still see it through, but still...

Though, I'm having a hard time against
the boss rematches
. I think I'm doing so well, then somehow they manage to wipe my party out in two turns. Is this a regular occurrence during these fights? If so, I'll need to rethink my strategy (or just pull in the big guns to get those lovely JP)...

kiryogi

Banned
So am I right that the achievement for Agnes
Bravo Bikini requires you to do a fresh new game on hard mode? Can't use new game plus? D:

Akito

Ending spoiler:
Now I know why people say this game is too long for its own good. 60 hours in and I still have yet to unlock the true ending. The last 20 hours or so were boring "beat the shit out of former bosses" time and nothing else, brilliant design choice there. I don't have any problem with the twist per se but I think you could get the point across without forcing the players to play through the "same story" at least thrice.
Airy's true forms are... huh.

So am I right that the achievement for Agnes
Bravo Bikini requires you to do a fresh new game on hard mode? Can't use new game plus? D:

I'm pretty sure BDFtS save data → BDFtS save data disqualifies you. But I don't know about BDFF save data → BDFtS save data. I asked on the BDFtS forum just now, but they inspect posts before making them public. And that might take several days.

Ashkeloth

For Chaugmar, just use default until he uses energy burst, then brave and go all out, returning to defaulting/healing up the damage until he energy bursts again.

Also, here's another complaint for chapters 5-8 existing. Final Fantasy V was probably my second favourite Final Fantasy title after IV due to its lighthearted story and focus on an amazing gameplay system, and this game gave me all of the same vibes, then chapters 5-8 happened and almost ruined the experience for almost no apparent reason. I powered through and finished up, and still love this game despite them, but why did they do it? I will admit however that some of the
boss teams
were surprisingly challenging and fun to fight.

Is the 3ds region free?
It's locked.
For Chaugmar, just use default until he uses energy burst, then brave and go all out, returning to defaulting/healing up the damage until he energy bursts again.

Also, here's another complaint for chapters 5-8 existing. Final Fantasy V was probably my second favourite Final Fantasy title after IV due to its lighthearted story and focus on an amazing gameplay system, and this game gave me all of the same vibes, then chapters 5-8 happened and almost ruined the experience for almost no apparent reason. I powered through and finished up, and still love this game despite them, but why did they do it? I will admit however that some of the
boss teams
were surprisingly challenging and fun to fight.

Don't ask why, just pray B2nd doesn't do anything like that.

I'm struggling all over for Edea honestly:

Tiz - Physical offense
(currently Ranger)
Agnes - Healer/offensive back up
(currenlty Red Mage)
Ringabel - Offensive magic
(currently Summoner/Black Mage)
Edea... No idea what to do.

Normally I wouldn't mind but the grind on job progression can be pretty intense. Seems a waste to stick with a job that won't be useful in the future.

I use her as a performer + something tanky with ally shield. Probably won't be as good once I can hit 9999 without buffs but for the meantime is been working great

Post-Ch 5 spoiler : I think I cut the game short somehow by
breaking a crystal in Chapter 6
. Not sure I was supposed to that right away. I kinda wanted to do as many optional boss battles as I could so hopefully I haven't screwed this up.

Also Blue Mage is my favorite FF job so this game is a fucking tease.

ss-hikaru

Ranger FTW. Even the costume is superb, which cannot be said for all of them (Time Mage anyone).

Oh yes....I set Agnes as a Time Mage once I got it and then quickly changed it cos I couldn't stand the outfit >.< She's back in the job now though since I want to level it but it's saaah ugly!

Mistle

How come there was no talk (that I saw) about the game losing it's joy past chapter 5 prior to release, yet within this this thread it's almost unanimous?

Woah
Vampire
boss in Chapter 4 subquest...he wrecked me in 2 turns :D
Gonna have to drastically change strategy for him if I want to beat him now. I know about
Rampart
but I thought I'd see his attacks coming with an obvious cue...that wasn't the case. I can't be spamming it, it costs 2BP >_>

ss-hikaru

How come there was no talk (that I saw) about the game losing it's joy past chapter 5 prior to release, yet within this this thread it's almost unanimous?

I find that interesting too. So much of the hype pre-release was because the story was apparently soooo good and written by the Steins;Gate guy. How many of the people who don't like the second half of the game also like Steins;Gate and other works? Wondering if it's this game's story in particular or a preference against the Steins;Gate author's writing style in general.

Reserving my own judgement for when I get to the twist :) I need more time to play this game, still on Chapter 3 :(

Zornica

Banned
can somebody tell me which jobs are worth leveling up and which ones I can skip?
not sure how the job is called in the english version (weapon enchanter class), but it seems way overpowered as a secundary

The countdown for the Dec 20 stream was off by an hour. Correct countdown.
t1387540800z0.png

Well I beat the game in Hard mode after 160 hours or so, but I enjoyed the second half of the game as much as I did the first. It basically lets you beef up your characters and try out the various combinations in addition to rewarding you with additional info regarding the characters and lore. It's just that if you get caught up in doing that, the main plot ends up not advancing much so overall the game doesn't maintain the same pace as in Ch.1 to 4.

I'm (towards the end of) Chapter 6 at the moment. I've found Chapter 5 and 6 relatively interesting,

Chapter 5 because you get a fair bit of new information on the characters, Chapter 6 because some of the bosses start using better AI and new moves which caught me by surprise, after the minimal to non-existing increases in Chapter 5.

I can see how it could bore the crud out of you, if you're skipping the optional battles, and aren't doing things like collecting various stealable / droppable items from random encounters and collecting blue magic. Since it'd effectively be doing the same 5 fights over and over again.

I am a little disappointed at some of the things where there's discontinuities, some bosses have new information in Chapter 6 compared to Chapter 5 while other's stay the same, even though that doesn't make a lot of sense in context, e.g in Chapter 6 Profiteur provides a bit more information on why Khint is making anonymous donations (because Profiteur is a lieing liar that lies) but then nothing changes when you do the Khint/Eloch fight and some of the fights are exactly the same as Chapter 5.

The worst things are the handful of fights where the patterns are exactly the same in 5 & 6 and the story stays the same too (Old Man Red Mage I'm looking at *you*), those are just irritating but in fairness they are for the handful of the Eternian forces who's main character trait is being irredeemable asshats, so there's probably a limit of where they can go.

I do call bull on Holly casting Reraise in Chapter 6 though, an accomplished white mage who's best white magic is level 2 but who can case Level 6 Time Magic is whackadoodle. That makes you an accomplished Time Mage that dabbles in White Magic.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is the
summoner
class good? Because holy crap if I have to sit through that animation everytime without being able to skip it...

Spellsword
is awesome though.

flowsnake

Is the
summoner
class good? Because holy crap if I have to sit through that animation everytime without being able to skip it..

From what I can tell, no. You can skip it though. It doesn't show the animation if you're in the faster battle modes (controlled using dpad left and right).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also after seeing that
summoned chick
I challenge edea not knowing that the people in her empire are batshit insane.

mikeybass

Neo Member
I use her as a performer + something tanky with ally shield. Probably won't be as good once I can hit 9999 without buffs but for the meantime is been working great

I literally got the Performer class last night (along with the Salve/Potion class, which just seemed, wrong).

Might give it a whirl, though it seems pretty gimmicky.

And I'm pretty sure I've got some kind of ninja/vampire/goth class and that super sword-dude coming up too.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Oh yes....I set Agnes as a Time Mage once I got it and then quickly changed it cos I couldn't stand the outfit >.< She's back in the job now though since I want to level it but it's saaah ugly!

Thank the Gods for triple-speed auto-battles! You'll never have to look at it again. I haven't seen a decent set-up for Agnes yet though... Not sure why being a white mage required a 50ft hat but hey, what's a girl to do?

Shane

The Summoner doesn't seen worth it. 40mp doesn't scale well in damage compared to a 15mp Black Mage spell.

Quick grind on the Sword Caster on the Knight for the level 3 spells was worth it. Secondary jobs are a neat way to apply bonuses.

Close to level 50 now and working towards the end of Chapter 2. Really enjoying it.

Tomorrow is Jump Festa 2014 and a special Nemesis is going to be distributed locally. People will probably start sending it tomorrow too, so make sure not to miss it.

Spoilers ahead now that I've finished it.

The gameplay is really solid. That's the biggest plus point I can give for this game. The jobs might not all be very interesting or have useful abilities, but it's a great place to expand on in the next game.

The story. *sigh* That started off quite simple and okay. Chapter 6 onwards it takes a complete nose dive until at least the final boss in the true ending path, and of course, picks up with that great sequel teaser video.

What was otherwise a fun game, the later chapters really turned that experience sour, rehashing the same bosses over and over with minimal dialogue changes. I was furious every time the crystal awakening would occur and Tiz would be the white knight that he is, where the same dialogue would play over and over "Agnes! Are you ok?" etc etc. Theyve been through the scenario a dozen times, why do I need to keep seeing the same dialogue?

The rehashed bosses were super annoying, except for the Chapter 8 versions where they'd be in teams. Now that was decent but again made lame due to it being part of the parallel worlds story.

Hopefully the next game won't be as padded with repeated elements. I don't mind spending around 80 hours in my games, but Bravely just had far too much padding for the later chapters (yeah, I did all the sub quests again and again and again and again...). Reminded me of DMC4s backtracking. I just don't like this sort of thing as it's lazy.

Loved the teaser video and Airy's sister. That was cool. Slightly confused now though because Airy was born through Ouroburos...so wouldn't the sister be evil, too?

Edit: Also, is it me or does the
end credit song have an added bit to it that wasn't in the normal ending?

Also want to add, Ringabell's English voice is ewwwww.

Taruranto

I read a lot about padding, which is funny since 4 Heroes of Light suffered from exactly the same problem. (the second half of the game had you re-do all dungeons and re-visit all towns again, it was one giant backtracking)

I defeated
Victor and Victoria
, the villains kinda seem waste honestly. What's up with
Victoria grudge against the church?

Need to level the 2 new jobs, they look pretty great.

Top Bottom