• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Ricker

Goddamn,just got absolutly destroyed by that Dragon near the end of Chapter 1, I presume,got to rethink that or gain a few levels grinding in that cave...only skipped a few fights till now...my guys are level 17...White Mage,Black Mage,Monk and Knight...

Lurking

Banned
Just beat the game.

CHEAPEST STRATEGY (Job/Ability Spoilers):
Edea
Job: Templar
Subjob: Spiritism
Ability: Conservation of Life, Raise From Dead, Genome Drain

Agnes
Job: Spiritist
Subjob: White Mage
Abilities: Epic Group Cast, Haste World

Tiz/Ringabell
Job: Dark Knight
Subjob: Time Mage OR Spell Fencer
Abilities: Dual Wield, BP Limit Up, Raise From Dead, BP Recovery

Observations:
Haste World gives you 2BP per turn, 3BP if you defaulted
1. Use Spiritist abilities to nerf all damage with stillness, status ailments with Fairy Ward
2. Use Bloodsword on Dark Knight to invoke Drain, Spell Fencer is if you do not have a Bloodsword.
3. Agnes always moves first(Hermes Shoes +20AGI), Edea always moves last (Templar is slow)
4.Small of a gap as possible between Dark Knights and Edea's AGI, this allows for a smaller window for an enemy to attack. My gap was 4 AGI so the enemy couldn't attack before she cast Stillness.

Turn Flow:
Turn 1: All default except Agnes who uses Stillness.
Turn 2: Dark Knights prep drain, Edea uses Fairy Ward/Rampart, to protect from Ailment/Phys.
Turn 3: Dark Knights brave once and use rage twice. 10 attacks that hit for 4k-9999 each, Edea uses Stillness
Turn 4: Heal with Agnes if needed, recharge BP.
Repeat Turn 2-4 until fight is over

WARNING*** GAME CRASHING BUG ***WARNING
You can use the Life or Death ability to trigger the BP Recovery Ability, which allows you to wind up at -4/-3 if it showed that you were going to be at -6/-5. Everytime I did this my game crashed. So do not use the ability if the BP counter dips below -4.

Soriku

Not a big deal but they should've put the encounter slider on the touch screen. Would've saved some time from going into a few menu screens.

Kimawolf

All games have twists. Someone tell me is the red mage guy really some kind of boss? And is Ringabell a end boss or Tizs friend who fell into the hole?

Chapter 8 sidequest help:

So I think I'm doing the "boss gauntlet" part where you battle a set of bosses on each floor of Central Command. So far, it wasn't too bad, but I just got to the all Black Mage/Summoner/Conjurer/Salve-maker bosses, and they are fucking destroying me. Like Qada puts Fire Weak on all my characters, then the next two spells kill my characters even while Defaulting. And yes, I do use Stillness, but I can't keep that up full time, so when it's recharging (until I get enough BP), they are destroying me. Using the Fire Charm doesn't seem to help because the Fire buff gets stupidly overwritten when Qada puts Fire Weak on my characters. Please help... T_T

So I think I'm doing the "boss gauntlet" part where you battle a set of bosses on each floor of Central Command. So far, it wasn't too bad, but I just got to the all Black Mage/Summoner/Conjurer/Salve-maker bosses, and they are fucking destroying me. Like Qada puts Fire Weak on all my characters, then the next two spells kill my characters even while Defaulting. And yes, I do use Stillness, but I can't keep that up full time, so when it's recharging (until I get enough BP), they are destroying me. Using the Fire Charm doesn't seem to help because the Fire buff gets stupidly overwritten when Qada puts Fire Weak on my characters. Please help... T_T

ahaha
this is where everyone who over-relies on Enigma gets burned hard
but I'm pretty sure you can just High Jump away

ahaha
this is where everyone who over-relies on Enigma gets burned hard
but I'm pretty sure you can just High Jump away

I didn't even know what Enigma did, lol. Never noticed it... that would have probably been useful on previous encounters! D:

Is High Jump the only reliable way?

omgawd. I finally did it.
I did Pirate/Bushido x3, Spiritmaster/White Mage x1. I got lucky, though. I started with everyone on Brave Suits to give the extra edge and so my Spiritmaster's Stillness would have her back functioning as soon as it ran out. I focused down the most the Summoner in one go and it got slightly easier. Still not easy because Firaga can still one shot my characters when it's reflected off themselves. But finally got down the Black Mage. After that, it was much easier - just staying alive and raising people who got one-shotted. Whew.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

What I did was use four ninjas. Three had sword magic (didn't make much of a difference, use whatever works well), the slowest one had stillness (and Hasten World). Then brave x3 attack/shippujinrai with the faster ones, three attacks/shippunjinrai with the slowest followed by stillness. That way you get all your attacks in before stillness, and you can't get hurt. Repeat until victory.

Edit: oh, I see you finished lol. In the gauntlet actually I used the same team as you, just making sure to have hasten world as well.

What I did was use four ninjas. Three had sword magic (didn't make much of a difference, use whatever works well), the slowest one had stillness (and Hasten World). Then brave x3 attack/shippujinrai with the faster ones, three attacks/shippunjinrai with the slowest followed by stillness. That way you get all your attacks in before stillness, and you can't get hurt. Repeat until victory.

Edit: oh, I see you finished lol. In the gauntlet actually I used the same team as you, just making sure to have hasten world as well.

That would have been easier than how I did, but whew.. just glad that one is over. Dread what's coming up next... >.>

Ending Spoiler

I actually really liked the ending, I stumbled upon during chapter 6, so after resetting the world once. Very Madoka esque, and probably should have spotted it from the begining.

Now to read up on all the other stuff I missed as I am not sure I want to go for the other ending/s - People that have done it, should I?

B.K.

I hope Bravely Second's bosses are better balanced than this game. I'm stuck at the final battles. The game shouldn't require a particular job/ability setup to be able to beat the last bosses.

Zing

Banned
I have't had much complaint about the voices until recently. The actual talking is fine, it's the stupid moans, grunts, and gasps. I never want to hear Tiz do that stupid "k-urk" thing again.

B.K.

Final boss spoilers

Has anyone got any quick, easy setups for
Airy's final form and Ouroboros?
I really want this game to be over with.

burgerdog

Chapter 7 sub quest in central command halp, I've cleared every single other sub quest and did the four main quests. The game keeps telling me there's a sub quest here but I've checked every section of the map and I can't find it.

KarmaCow

Welp, first time stuck on a boss. Any tips for the (chapter 3 spoiler)
fire crystal boss?

Energy Burst is physical, but you don't have enough defence to mitigate the damage, you can use Valkyries with Jump or Spirit Barrier. Pirates also get Defang at level 10 which reduces physical attack, though that requires a ton of JP to get since the level requirements jump from 9 to 10.

Also attack items do flat damage even with the shield up. You can try taking a Salve Maker along with Attack Item Amp to deal damage and revive people. I prefer to build up BP while the shield is up though.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Final boss spoilers

Depends on what jobs you have. 4 Valkyries with speed boosters and Hasten World can just High Jump all day; you can also try and find a summon friend on here with a damage cap breaking ability.

Zornack

Chapter 7 sub quest in central command halp, I've cleared every single other sub quest and did the four main quests. The game keeps telling me there's a sub quest here but I've checked every section of the map and I can't find it.

Did you go upstairs? The elevator is in the upper right but there's no blue indicator that it's an exit and no blue exclamation mark either.

Tripon

So I was able to get a Mamon with Elixir in my streetpass village. I sent and protected it. If I fight and kill it, will it disappear?

Niraj

Final boss spoilers

Just do the tried and true 3 Pirate (Bushido secondary)+1 Spiritmaster (White Magic secondary). Stillness first turn and save up your BP. Then do Free Lunch+3 Amped Strikes, Stillness again, then heal up if need be during the Stillness turns (Healing Lore on the Spiritmaster will help). You can do this indefinitely. If you want it to go even faster, stick Hasten World on somebody, but it'll also give the bosses an extra attack each turn. You could also shift another character to a healer if you're having a lot of trouble too. Spiritmaster is also useful for using Fairy's Ward to prevent status effects, if need be against Airy.

Energy Burst is physical, but you don't have enough defence to mitigate the damage, you can use Valkyries with Jump or Spirit Barrier. Pirates also get Defang at level 10 which reduces physical attack, though that requires a ton of JP to get since the level requirements jump from 9 to 10.

Also attack items do flat damage even with the shield up. You can try taking a Salve Maker along with Attack Item Amp to deal damage and revive people. I prefer to build up BP while the shield is up though.
I managed to beat it by the skin of my teeth just now but thanks anyway! This game can be really frustrating and really satisfying sometimes.

Soriku

Huh, so apparently on Hard mode you fight three Automaton a Grapp Keep at once compared to two on the other modes. Didn't know there were changes like that to the difficulty.

Xerotwo

So I was able to get a Mamon with Elixir in my streetpass village. I sent and protected it. If I fight and kill it, will it disappear?

Yep, it will disappear if you kill her. Might as well protect and send the love.

Btw: check if the elixir's the 25k ish one and not the regular one.

Yep, it will disappear if you kill her. Might as well protect and send the love.

Btw: check if the elixir's the 25k ish one and not the regular one.

Is that actually a thing? I would think all elixrs sell for the same 25k price tag.

I really wish I'd get an Elixr Mammon. All I seem to get are Belphegors... Meh. I want money, and Big Pharm loops are a bit too slow so early in the game. (Wind Temple...)

It's horrible, but I just want access to everything and everything as early as I can get it! my Norende's almost complete, and all I need is money to buy all the equipment and a growth egg to level up jobs (even though ablinks are just as good)

burgerdog

Did you go upstairs? The elevator is in the upper right but there's no blue indicator that it's an exit and no blue exclamation mark either.

They were down in the prison, I completely forgot about that section.

Another question: what's up with chapter 8 sub quest bosses only carrying elixir and turbo ethers?

Tripon

Is that actually a thing? I would think all elixrs sell for the same 25k price tag.

I really wish I'd get an Elixr Mammon. All I seem to get are Belphegors... Meh. I want money, and Big Pharm loops are a bit too slow so early in the game. (Wind Temple...)

It's horrible, but I just want access to everything and everything as early as I can get it! my Norende's almost complete, and all I need is money to buy all the equipment and a growth egg to level up jobs (even though ablinks are just as good)

I checked and regular elixirs sell for 1875p, while Mamon (which is a separate category) sells for 25000p.

BTW, check your PM for my friend code, so I can send you this Mamon.

Ending Spoiler

I actually really liked the ending, I stumbled upon during chapter 6, so after resetting the world once. Very Madoka esque, and probably should have spotted it from the begining.

Now to read up on all the other stuff I missed as I am not sure I want to go for the other ending/s - People that have done it, should I?

You haven't got the true ending? DO IT NOW.

Delio

Guys how do i beat
Victor and Victoria
Im sitting at lv 47 and im running with double white mages ( had two ninjas but they cant keep up) Black mage and a Ninja. I just get demolished by holy and dark and the mass poison.

Guys how do i beat
Victor and Victoria
Im sitting at lv 47 and im running with double white mages ( had two ninjas but they cant keep up) Black mage and a Ninja. I just get demolished by holy and dark and the mass poison.

I had a Pirate, Swordsmaster, and White and Black Mages. I didn't do anything all that special. All I pretty much did was focus on Victoria while continuously healing everyone that went down and used Esenuga for the poison. After that, it was just a matter of hammering on Victor until he also went down. Having someone use a special that raises Critical Hit rate was very useful. You'll know that you're close when Victor starts using Curada to heal.

Guys how do i beat
Victor and Victoria

blitz Victoria at the start with reflect rings equipped, because Victor is a chump

CLEEK

Guys how do i beat
Victor and Victoria

Did that last night and got murdered by
Victoria
. Tried it again this morning on my commute and did it without much pain. Reflect is your friend.

Equip as many Reflect rings as you have. With your white mages, cast reflect. Remember it lasts for 4 turns, you that is pretty much all they should be doing. The with everyone else, just go all out against her. Once she's down, he is a breeze.

My team at the time was Pirate (Spell Fencer), Valkyrie (Spell Fencer), Ninja (Black Mage) and Performer (White Mage). All level 56. Didn't bother with any magic attacks, just used my physical big hitters. Helps if you have special moves to use.

Videoneon

Goddamn,just got absolutly destroyed by that Dragon near the end of Chapter 1, I presume,got to rethink that or gain a few levels grinding in that cave...only skipped a few fights till now...my guys are level 17...White Mage,Black Mage,Monk and Knight...

Huh. I think I had basically that set up, but with Thief Ringabel instead of a Monk. Put Two-Handed on your Knight, I had Edea with the Ise-No-Kami IIRC because it was still her strongest sword. I never cared for Stomp so I set her secondary as White Mage to make use of her MP in case the other one had problems. A bow should already be available for a Thief; Thief+Bow is a strong combination.

---

This has probably been noted before, but did the localization team play Tales games or something? Just look at the Specials - Savage Wolf Fury, Lunar Requiem, Critical Blade...that's too much for coincidence. =P

So I finally beat the game.. fully. Well, as much as I'm going to for now. Clocked in 95 hours (although the activity log on the 3DS says 101 hours), got all jobs to 14, everyone 99, did all sidequests (yes, all of them in every chapter), saw both the regular and true endings. Didn't do the optional dungeon's boss because I was just ready to move on, but...

Not sure if we have a spoiler thread, but a few questions about the True Ending and the story in general:

***True Ending Spoilers***

So first off, about the bonus video... what the hell was that? Where was Tiz? Who was that woman (I assume she's just a new character for the sequel)? At first, I thought this was going to be some sort of Assassin's Creed animus stuff where Tiz was playing as someone else's life, lol... But then that stuff about a Celestial being inside him - what? I read elsewhere that it was referring to the player which kind of makes sense (based on what Ouroboros says), but why did he die/pass out at the end? Was Tiz originally supposed to die when the chasm happened, but was kept alive because of that force inside him? Or am I reading too much into things? How can Airy have a sister btw? And is her fairy race from the Celestial Realm? I thought Airy was created by Ouroboros, so it seems odd she has a sister... Unless he meant he "created" her in the sense that he converted her over to be his follower, lol.

Also, about the chasm itself and the Holy Pillar... The chasm in each world is caused by the previous Warriors of Light going into the pillar, right? The chasm happens when the world has been connected to the previous one, I think? And I had a question about that as well. After the warriors of light go into the pillar, do they always die? Or that just happened in Ringabel's original world (he didn't die, but it fell into the Holy Pillar which is how he got into the next world and met Tiz/Agnes/Edea). Hmm, but in Ringabel's world, he was still with those 3 characters - how did they meet in his world? He was still Alternis then - doesn't seem likely they would team up when he still knew who he was and was in the Council of Six... Unless it was just Tiz, Agnes and Edea traveling around the world reawakening the crystals and Alternis showed up at the airship as usual and that's when they all died. EDIT: It says in the journal that they all met up in Caldisla 6 months after the events, so I guess Ringabel did stay in their world. Not sure what that stuff was about in the ending credits then.

And I assume Agnes being the angel who fell from the sky (and told the Sage and Lester of the coming events) was her falling from the airship in the previous world after Airy revealed who she was and killed everyone (minus Alternis who fell into the Holy Pillar and became Ringabel). Hmm, what else... Who was the Agnes who talked to the group from inside her pendant (during the True Final Chapter when everyone joins hands)? Was that an Agnes in particular or just one from another world calling out? Also, did Ringabel go back to his original world? In the credits, it shows Alternis saying he will save them this time - was that supposed to be our Ringabel? If it was, he must have time traveled back to that point in time...? But then throwing time travel into the mix complicates things (since the game wouldn't have happened if they killed Airy then.) I was kind of hoping he would stay with the characters we controlled.

Anyways, enough questions for now. I did like how the the game used Friend worlds as part of the story - was a nice touch. That whole part was pretty cool and the music was amazing. I was kind of disappointed how much of the ending was the same as the true ending - like same dialogue and everything. It only changed toward the end of the credits and then the extra movie/teaser for the sequel.

Thanks for any help. :)

EDIT: Just found the spoiler thread. Feel free to answer any questions anyways. :p

Ricker

Huh. I think I had basically that set up, but with Thief Ringabel instead of a Monk. Put Two-Handed on your Knight, I had Edea with the Ise-No-Kami IIRC because it was still her strongest sword. I never cared for Stomp so I set her secondary as White Mage to make use of her MP in case the other one had problems. A bow should already be available for a Thief; Thief+Bow is a strong combination.

---

This has probably been noted before, but did the localization team play Tales games or something? Just look at the Specials - Savage Wolf Fury, Lunar Requiem, Critical Blade...that's too much for coincidence. =P

Thanks...I was actually thinking about the same thing with Stomp,changing it for backup heals or something...and I will have to buy a weapon for Two Handed though, sold them...The Optimum option,which I use,does not always work or take into consideration those skills...maybe I should stop using it...

Eusis

Wish they had a mode where they were disabled...like classic hardcore or something like that.

I'm ignoring them but it seems like the is constantly suggesting to use them.
I also can't seem to actually disable Abilink once it's enabled. Ah well.

Zing

Banned
Yes, optimum is usually a poor choice. I still try it occasionally to see what it suggests.

I also can't seem to actually disable Abilink once it's enabled. Ah well.
I was able to disable it by simply selecting a blank entry.

guek

Banned
I'm a few hours into the game and enjoying it so far but man...the VA is atrocious. I can't stand Agnes' voice and Tiz isn't much better.

Also, the audio samples sound disappointingly low quality. What's up with that, SE?

Tripon

I'm a few hours into the game and enjoying it so far but man...the VA is atrocious. I can't stand Agnes' voice and Tiz isn't much better.

Also, the audio samples sound disappointingly low quality. What's up with that, SE?

Switch to JP.

just pretend Agnes and Airy don't exist
and if you switch to the Japanese VAs, you're just gonna hear the same high-pitched shit without Edea/Ringabel's amazingness, so don't

Niraj

***True Ending Spoilers***

So first off, about the bonus video... what the hell was that? Where was Tiz? Who was that woman (I assume she's just a new character for the sequel)? At first, I thought this was going to be some sort of Assassin's Creed animus stuff where Tiz was playing as someone else's life, lol... But then that stuff about a Celestial being inside him - what? I read elsewhere that it was referring to the player which kind of makes sense (based on what Ouroboros says), but why did he die/pass out at the end? Was Tiz originally supposed to die when the chasm happened, but was kept alive because of that force inside him? Or am I reading too much into things? How can Airy have a sister btw? And is her fairy race from the Celestial Realm? I thought Airy was created by Ouroboros, so it seems odd she has a sister... Unless he meant he "created" her in the sense that he converted her over to be his follower, lol.

Also, about the chasm itself and the Holy Pillar... The chasm in each world is caused by the previous Warriors of Light going into the pillar, right? The chasm happens when the world has been connected to the previous one, I think? And I had a question about that as well. After the warriors of light go into the pillar, do they always die? Or that just happened in Ringabel's original world (he didn't die, but it fell into the Holy Pillar which is how he got into the next world and met Tiz/Agnes/Edea). Hmm, but in Ringabel's world, he was still with those 3 characters - how did they meet in his world? He was still Alternis then - doesn't seem likely they would team up when he still knew who he was and was in the Council of Six... Unless it was just Tiz, Agnes and Edea traveling around the world reawakening the crystals and Alternis showed up at the airship as usual and that's when they all died.

And I assume Agnes being the angel who fell from the sky (and told the Sage and Lester of the coming events) was her falling from the airship in the previous world after Airy revealed who she was and killed everyone (minus Alternis who fell into the Holy Pillar and became Ringabel). Hmm, what else... Who was the Agnes who talked to the group from inside her pendant (during the True Final Chapter when everyone joins hands)? Was that an Agnes in particular or just one from another world calling out? Also, did Ringabel go back to his original world? In the credits, it shows Alternis saying he will save them this time - was that supposed to be our Ringabel? If it was, he must have time traveled back to that point in time...? But then throwing time travel into the mix complicates things (since the game wouldn't have happened if they killed Airy then.) I was kind of hoping he would stay with the characters we controlled.

Tiz is in that healing tank thing. You're seeing everything from his perspective. Airy's sister is the fairy you see at the beginning of the game, and presumably entered Tiz's body to ensure that her sister would be stopped. It seems to be implied that Tiz was near death, and the presence of Airy's sister was the only thing sustaining him, which is why he falls into the coma after she leaves. The created thing is probably referring to Airy's twisted form. Due to the fact that she does have this fairy form sister, it seems plausible to assume that the fairy form was her original state, not that disgusting slug thing. This is also supported by her third form (her most powerful, complete form) being fairylike in depiction.

The chasm is the point where each world is connected, yes. I don't know whether they always die, but it does seem like that is the most likely circumstance (aside from the ones that we play as of course). I'm guessing the friend worlds are worlds that Airy hadn't accessed yet. Your supposition at the end of the paragraph about Alternis is likely the correct one. Even though he goes to stop them, he never wanted Edea to die.

The Agnes who fell into the world where DeRosso and the Sage were fighting is assumedly the same one who talks through the pendant. Ringabel went to a world where he was dead (assumedly), but Tiz and co were alive, so he could save them this time. Remember, the sage says they can pick any world to live in that they wanted to, and as there's theoretically an infinite number with an infinite number of differences or similarities (note the differences in chapters 5-8, or lack thereof), it seems that he was able to land in one that suited him. Granted, considering that infinite number of worlds, that also does seem implausible, but whatever lol.

That's just what I thought though, that's by no means the absolute answer to anything. Just felt like responding since we've had a back and forth here for a bit lol.

Top Bottom