• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Eusis

I finally get back to this again (Chapter 1), and thanks to not rushing through immediately it's become possibly the most broken RPG I've ever played. It's like they made a serious effort at balancing... but when it came time to throw in social features they just gave up.

Soriku

Thief's Knife is great because it allows you to steal without wasting a subclass slot. I only wish there was an item that allows you to Examine as well like Magic Lenses.

Me too. Tiz has been stuck with a Freelancer subclass for a while and probably will be for a long time. I hope Bravely Second fixes that.

I finally get back to this again (Chapter 1), and thanks to not rushing through immediately it's become possibly the most broken RPG I've ever played. It's like they made a serious effort at balancing... but when it came time to throw in social features they just gave up.

All the special attacks I get from other people are crappy :x I sent my lvl 30 Edea out and the attack I sent had 4000+ attack power lol. On the other hand I've only gotten 600+ at max from other people. I guess if I wasn't lazy enough to add people I'd probably break the game, but atm it's fine.

On Hard mode, even with getting a head start and carrying over 20 people from the demo to Norende, the difficulty seems just right to me. Actually I'm surprised how expensive stuff in Norende gets. You'll have good stuff you can buy for <10k, then the next item you unlock will be like 99999 gp. lol wut. I have a Mammon (two actually) that I can grind money from but don't feel like it...

I still think the most broken RPG I've played is FE Awakening.

Velcro Fly

Chapter 2 down!

Looks like I'll need to level up some new jobs since I don't have any good abilities to use for Tiz and Ringabel!

....social features aren't meant to be balanced, nor should they be

Wazzy

Banned
....social features aren't meant to be balanced, nor should they be
I don't really see a problem with the social features. They're fun and if you're in a sticky spot you can rely on them. You also only have the option of using a friend once unless they resend.

I honestly was going to ignore the feature until I used it on a boss for fun once and then found it incredibly useful.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Weak summons are great as long as they are of a special. I seldom find myself with my special music winding down and no special of my own currently available to unleash.

Negator

So I'm in Chapter 6
fighting the three sisters and I got wrecked.

So the game turns into the title screen and JESUS CHRIST THIS GAME LEGIT FREAKED ME OUT! This totally blew me away and is now one of my all time favorite moments in gaming!

http://imgur.com/POQO8Ps

Wazzy

Banned
Agnes in Chapter 3. Her
fucking random outbursts.

Every time she says something I'm like

wbAh3RJ.gif

You can actually prevent Kamiizumi from dying in Chapter 6, instead of killing him like usual. But that event needs some preparation starting from Chapter 5.

Freelunch plus amped strike is just too op... Add in a spiritmaster and a performer and nothing can stop you.

screw that noise
Slow World strats and denying the enemy BP is too good
except for that last chapter 8 fight with Khamer and Hasten World lol

Kalm

So wait, how do I connect to that? Do I need Homepass to get access?

I'd love to pass next time you're on. I have quite a few folks from Animal Crossing GAF and others that are playing that I will send it to. :D

Oh man, I'd love that next time! How do I connect to you with this method?

Does anyone else have one? I've been looking for a week now.

As far as I know, Homepass is the only way to reliably send and receive Nemeses right now.

To get it to work, you'll need to change the SSID and wlan MAC address of your router to match mine. This will convince Nintendo that we're both at the same relay point and you'll get my Streetpass hit w/ Nemesis. Works best if you disable all other Streetpass titles to make sure you get a hit for Bravely Default and not MiiPlaza :p. If you google 3DS Homepass you should find everything you need. There are other methods if your router doesn't let you set a MAC for wlan, as well.

Since the MAC I posted is random, you should should only get me; if you get someone else, you'll have to wait 8 hours and try again. To minimize wasted passes, it'll help if everyone that uses my MAC immediately protects and re-shares Mammon and/or immediately switches back to their default MAC.

Anyway, here's the info again:
Code:
SSID: attwifi   
MAC: 00:A2:8B:E2:71:3E
If anyone needs help with this, feel free to PM :)

Anyway, here's the info again:
Code:
SSID: attwifi   
MAC: 00:A2:8B:E2:71:3E
If anyone needs help with this, feel free to PM :)

I'm trying to get mine up and running again. I had it working yesterday, but this morning it's being a bit moody. Hopefully I will have it going shortly.

EDIT: Yes! I got one from some random Streetpass. I set it to send and I just did my daily data update, so I'm hoping those currently on my friend list (lots of Animal Crossing GAF) will get it. The one I have is in Japanese writing, level 25, from "Angela."

Thief's Knife is great because it allows you to steal without wasting a subclass slot. I only wish there was an item that allows you to Examine as well like Magic Lenses.

Tell me about it. I haven't examined an enemy or boss since like Chapter 2. I was sick of having to waste a subjob slot on Freelancer, so I just stopped worrying about it. There should either be an item/weapon that lets you examine or have it as a support ability.

And you know, kind of embarrassing, but I totally forgot about the Thief's Knife... all this time, I've been having to either have a Thief main or subjob set to steal from bosses. I mean, Thief is pretty good anyways, so I didn't mind that much, but had I remembered the knife, I probably would have done that instead, lol.

So I'm in Chapter 6
fighting the three sisters and I got wrecked.

So the game turns into the title screen and JESUS CHRIST THIS GAME LEGIT FREAKED ME OUT! This totally blew me away and is now one of my all time favorite moments in gaming!

http://imgur.com/POQO8Ps

Yep, I thought it was a nice touch. :) Gave me a big smile.

---------

Optional Dungeon question:

So before I waste time running down to see if I can get past B9 now, when exactly does that door open? Does it only open in the True Final Chapter? or does it open in Chapter 8 now?

What's a good level for Chap 7? Having a rough time with the optional bosses.

Outside Florem is the best spot. With the Growth Egg on, you get a butt load of Experience and and 650-999JP per battle (when you get the bonuses). It helps to also have JP Up from Freelancer and Experience Up from
Conjurer

AEREC

So torn on this game...Playing on normal and enjoying everything except the story, characters and dialogue. Really want to kick Agnes to the curb...wish they would have chosen a better VA...also the presentation feels like a children's book.

Been playing on normal without any social features and everything still feels somewhat balanced and challenging (just hit chapter 3).

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Optional Dungeon question:

So before I waste time running down to see if I can get past B9 now, when exactly does that door open? Does it only open in the True Final Chapter? or does it open in Chapter 8 now?

Outside Florem is the best spot. With the Growth Egg on, you get a butt load of Experience and and 650-999JP per battle (when you get the bonuses). It helps to also have JP Up from Freelancer and Experience Up from
Conjurer

It won't be open in chapter 8.

Obliterate also is nice for grinding ;)

It won't be open in chapter 8.

Alright cool, thanks for saving me the trip down! :p

I don't really see why they don't let Teleport work in that dungeon. It doesn't really make the dungeon any harder since you can turn off encounters (I know you can't do this in the original JP version), so it's more of a time waster than anything.

ferr

They're not super balanced and they could have done a better job. But some of the really bad aspects work themselves out naturally. Summoning a very high level friend is usually a once-off, because those high level friends have probably already finished the game and quit sending summons. I took out the first boss with a friend summon that did 25k damage, but now my friend summons are all around the same damage as a normal special for my level.

There are other aspects where it's actually lacking balance. Like the fact that my party members with Angel Bow have been OP since forever.

Chapter 2 was not difficult but god it was a total and complete waste of time.
Making the trek over to the Sage just to decide to wear the Vestal Garb anyway is the least of it. If we had just awakened the crystal from the start, not only would we have not had to fight that absolutely god awful boss that I had to grind water resistance to survive even on default, but Olivia would still be alive. Just a bunch of pointless running around, causing more trouble than not. I have to say I was surprised that the two little girls died in the subquest. Nice touch.

Chapter 3 is kicking my ass now. All out brave attacks can't end one of the random worms in one turn. Maybe because I didn't upgrade jobs very much.
Ranger seems useful, but Valkyrie seems to require Red Mage passives before it becomes manageable because of the BP costs.

Korosenai

Any tips on how to beat
Alternis
?

Chapter 4 has actually been really easy for me up until this point, I've beat every other boss on my first try.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Without spoiling what it is, can someone tell me when I'm able to get the last job (between
vampire
and freelancer)? I just started ch5.

Thanks.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Any tips on how to beat
Alternis
?

Chapter 4 has actually been really easy for me up until this point, I've beat every other boss on my first try.
Are you having trouble before or after he starts spamming Minus Strike? If it's the latter, just save your specials for when he starts and try to burst him down. In the meantime, just have your healer raise/phoenix down every person he kills. No need to waste BP to heal since he just instant kills anyway. IIRC you should have found a shield and an accessory that lower dark damage, which should work on the aoe he uses, but not 100% sure.

Negator

Chapter 7 sidequest
After a harrowing battle with Ominas, I find myself in a dire situation of getting wrecked when reinforcements arrive, similar to what happened in Chapter 6 sisters battle. I may need to level up a bit, because even Ominas was one-shotting my characters with the thunder spells and my health pool probably isn't high enough :/

Baust

Is the Spiritmaster arguably the best healing job in the game? I just got this one.

Does it learn the standard healing magic, or does it heal through other means?

Leezard

Is the Spiritmaster arguably the best healing job in the game? I just got this one.

It does not actually heal. You need to pair it with a white mage or salve maker for this.

It's a great support job though, you can block so much damage with it.

KHlover

Banned

Spiritmaster doesn't heal. Spiritmaster just prevents you from taking any damage lol

KHlover

Banned
Sorry for double post, but I'm a bit shocked. 80 hours in and I just now find out you can use magic from the menu even if you don't currently have the corresponding job equipped.

How did I miss this? So many times I could have used Teleport :(

Scratch that. Had the job equipped as secondary :(

demidar

Chapter 7 sidequest
After a harrowing battle with Ominas, I find myself in a dire situation of getting wrecked when reinforcements arrive, similar to what happened in Chapter 6 sisters battle. I may need to level up a bit, because even Ominas was one-shotting my characters with the thunder spells and my health pool probably isn't high enough :/

Are you able to cast reflect on all your whole party? Black Mage 14 lets you cast magic party-wide regardless of spell, so you can cast reflect on your party and let Ominas kill his own party with his spells while weathering their attacks with either a Blessed Shield + Healing Lore (Salve-Maker) or other non-magic healing. Widen Area (Salve-Maker) + Light Curtain can also work but you'll need a lot of those items.

Or you can get a Spiritmaster 13 to continually cast Enigma.

Ah I see. Thanks!

Spiritmaster/White Mage is my favorite healing combo. Add on Healing Lore, and you'll have amazing heals and ways to buff your party so you won't take damage, can block all status effects for multiple rounds, reduce elemental damage done to you, etc. It's great.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of you fine gentlemen/ladies want a club nintendo code for Danky Kang TF? First to quote this post gets pm

B.K.

Final Chapter spoilers

I'm having a hard time on Airy's second form. I didn't have this much trouble against it in Chapter 6 when I was 30 levels lower.

AEREC

Would have been really cool if they had your airship as a homebase sort of deal...where you could collect stuff and chat with party members about random stuff, play mini games, etc...

Just started Chapter 5:

I have to do everything again? And everything's level is up too? Ugh, I hated the crystal bosses. Seems kind of a cheap way to make the game longer

B.K.

Finally got past the boss I was stuck on by using Spiritmaster abilities to absorb elemental attacks. Is
Dimension's Hasp
worth doing? Is the equipment there good?

KHlover

Banned
Just started Chapter 5:

I have to do everything again? And everything's level is up too? Ugh, I hated the crystal bosses. Seems kind of a cheap way to make the game longer
Have fun with chapters 6-8 :3

Finally got past the boss I was stuck on by using Spiritmaster abilities to absorb elemental attacks. Is
Dimension's Hasp
worth doing? Is the equipment there good?
Some of the best stuff in the game. I think you can steal most of it from endgame bosses, but it's still worth a visit

Can a few powerful people (close to end game) add me? I just got to the last battle, and not adding friends the whole time has really bit me in the ass. My FC is 1177-7118-4183. PM me if you add and I'll add you back.

Isotope

I have a question regarding the
Vampire
side quest in Chapter 4:

Mainly involving the Dragons. I'm only Level 45, and these Dragons are tough as shit. Can I just come back later and finish this Vampire Quest, or do I have to do it right now or else it will go away?

Top Bottom