• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

demidar

man do lvl 5 black mage cost a lot of mp... turbo ethers ain't cheap either. what were they thinking not having any kind of 'tent' like item in this?

maybe i should stop using Black Mages :X

A lot of the later classes allow you to easily recoup MP, but at that point physical attacks are just better, because of how easy it is to stack P. Atk. I use spells mainly for utility now, hardly for attacks.

Tripon

man do lvl 5 black mage cost a lot of mp... turbo ethers ain't cheap either. what were they thinking not having any kind of 'tent' like item in this?

maybe i should stop using Black Mages :X
If you are keeping up building your town, equip a staff on a character, and the highest level mp resotation special moves under special skills. Then have your staff user spam cure 5 times to unlock the level 1 special, and you can get HP, MP, and even KO status restored. This game is broken beyond belief if you are willing to do it.

Owensboro

Welp, I randomly decided to walk into a Best Buy last night because I just wanted to get some walking in. I strolled to the 3DS section just to see what they had, checked the price on Bravely Default, and while contemplating if I should buy it or not looked up to see a CE sitting on the shelf half hidden behind a Wii U Controller protector... thing. Did a price check, found out it was only $10 more (this still blows my mind), and bought it without thinking. Luigi's Mansion is getting subbed out, and Bravely Default is getting subbed in. I've been recently fighting the urge to go back and play some Final Fantasy games, so this couldn't have happened at a better time.

I'm pumped! I'm also (kind of sadly) excited about playing around with the deck of cards that came with it. Oh, and I'm terrified of looking at the art book because of spoilers and such.

If you are keeping up building your town, equip a staff on a character, and the highest level mp resotation special moves under special skills. Then have your staff user spam cure 5 times to unlock the level 1 special, and you can get HP, MP, and even KO status restored. This game is broken beyond belief if you are willing to do it.

true. but i have a bad habit of hording specials only for boss fights lol.

so is there any way to break the damage cap? Not a fan of hitting cap at like chapter 2-3.

and holy crap, free lunch skill is op as balls with pirate 4x attack skill o_O

KHlover

Banned
Wasn't the Secret Ending supposed to be available at Ch. 5? Currently at the last Crystal, been mashing X for the last 10min. Airy doesn't give a fuck. Not even the usual "Y u do dis. Stahp :(" from her. Slowly getting cramps. Smartphone one-handed ftw :/

Wasn't the Secret Ending supposed to be available at Ch. 5? Currently at the last Crystal, been mashing X for the last 10min. Airy doesn't give a fuck. Not even the usual "Y u do dis. Stahp :(" from her. Slowly getting cramps. Smartphone one-handed ftw :/

How fast are you mashing the button? Spamming it? I'm not sure when you can do it. If you are doing it right, it should happen within like 5 seconds basically. I did it in Chapter 6 because it flows with the story better if you wait until the final crystal in chapter 6 to do it. imo, doing it in chapter 5 doesn't make much sense in context of the story because it's in chapter 6 that they start questioning things.

KHlover

Banned
How fast are you mashing the button? Spamming it? I'm not sure when you can do it. If you are doing it right, it should happen within like 5 seconds basically. I did it in Chapter 6 because it flows with the story better if you wait until the final crystal in chapter 6 to do it. imo, doing it in chapter 5 doesn't make much sense in context of the story because it's in chapter 6 that they start questioning things.
It is really strange. When I first tried it at the first crystal in Ch.5 I got the usual warning by Airy, but nothing happened. Then I remembered I still hadn't triggered the event with the Sage. Did that, then nothing happened. Maybe you only have one shot at it per chapter?

true. but i have a bad habit of hording specials only for boss fights lol.

so is there any way to break the damage cap? Not a fan of hitting cap at like chapter 2-3.

and holy crap, free lunch skill is op as balls with pirate 4x attack skill o_O

If you do the Bravely Second thing (press start and expend the SP to have a free turn for any character) your attacks during it can break the damage threshhold.

Sanic

Apparently this game is actually hard to find now? I was going to pick it up a few months down the line, but there isn't a single store nearby that has it in stock so I might have to scrap those plans.

Just curious, what level were you? Does the final boss
do %-based attacks? I was lvl99 with 9000~HP and some of his moves almost one shotted me - some of them did die actually. The only way I see lower level people doing it is if it was HP% based and not a certain # per attack.

I think everyone was level 83 or so.

demidar

i heard its real bad after ch4, how many hours of stuff is there if you kinda just book it to the end?

Haven't finished the game but I recommend only doing the critical stuff for chapters 5 and 6 (though you might have to grind a bit). 7 is much better so do that. Not sure about 8, haven't got there.

If you do the Bravely Second thing (press start and expend the SP to have a free turn for any character) your attacks during it can break the damage threshhold.

interesting. i've never used them ever.... well i did once against summoner boss... apparently it doesn't take priority over a summon cutscene >.>

Maybesew

A couple of questions I have been meaning to ask.

Is there any benefit to leveling a job that is abilinked to 14 already? Meaning are there benefits besides just the abilities that you would gain, such as stats etc

Chapter 4 related:

After beating victor and victoria, should i switch my main healer (agnes) to spiritmaster? I was really liking her combination of salvemaker and white mage, but i thought i read in this thread that spiritmaster was a good end game healer.

Also Ch.4 related:

I just awakened the earth crystal and I'm trying to find a pillar of light, there are multiple exclamation points on my map but no pillars of light at any of them. Am I missing something? Also, is my airship gone? Nothing happens when I tap on it, and I dont see it anywhere on the map.

demidar

A couple of questions I have been meaning to ask.

Is there any benefit to leveling a job that is abilinked to 14 already? Meaning are there benefits besides just the abilities that you would gain, such as stats etc

Chapter 4 related:

After beating victor and victoria, should i switch my main healer (agnes) to spiritmaster? I was really liking her combination of salvemaker and white mage, but i thought i read in this thread that spiritmaster was a good end game healer.

Also Ch.4 related:

I just awakened the earth crystal and I'm trying to find a pillar of light, there are multiple exclamation points on my map but no pillars of light at any of them. Am I missing something? Also, is my airship gone? Nothing happens when I tap on it, and I dont see it anywhere on the map.

Spiritmaster is more like damage prevention or nullification rather than healing. That said, if you play your cards right they are much more useful than brute force healing. They do however get a skill that amplifies healing if you want to pair it with a healing job.

You need enough space to summon your airship. The narrow corridors in the Eternian continent prevent summoning the airship, you need a clear, open area so no trees either.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Chapter 4 related:

Personally, I had Agnes as a Spiritmaster with White Magic as her secondary (with the Healing Lore ability from Salve-Maker) the rest of the game for the major fights, aside from a couple battles. It worked pretty well.

Neol

What's everyone's opinion on Vampire's?

Kinda wanna replace my Black Mage with a Vamp/Arcanist combo or a Vampl/Dark knight combo.

Kazenone

Kinda wanna replace my Black Mage with a Vamp/Arcanist combo or a Vampl/Dark knight combo.

I used Vampire for most of the end game but I'm not entirely sure why. I mixed my Edea with Vampire/Valkyrie so she'd Spirit Barrier + HP/MP drain for every battle, sometimes I'd mix in the Absorb Stats but not that often. I think because I had a solid set up with my Tiz & Ringabel (Ninja/Pirate, Ranger/Monk) with Agnes as Spiritmaster/White Mage that I could afford to have a soft job in the party and not worry about it.

If you like the the idea of a Blue Mage sort of character, Vampire can be fun since you get to go exploring for the genome abilities.

Niraj

I actually liked quite a few of the genomes. The main issue is actually going around and picking them all up. If you have the right nemeses, you can get some great magic spells, but they cost a lot to use, so Steady MP Recover from the last job can be helpful. The best thing about them is the variety: there's wind, water, fire, earth, lightning, confusion, paralysis, silence, and even healing. I found chomp to be a surprisingly good move against normal enemies that had a lot of defense, or the tendency to default often (lowers them to 1 HP). Self-Restore is also pretty helpful for grinding or making your way through dungeons (if you keep encounters on). Battle Thirst is pretty cool too, primarily against bosses that tend to stock up on BP, or if you use Hasten World. Definitely don't rely on them as your sole healer though, since White Wind requires you keep your health up. As a backup healer though, it can be pretty handy. Or if you use something like Provoke or Full Cover on another character.

My mind was blown. This game, the details... i'm still in chapter 6 and
i was on the title screen, not paying attention... "Bravely Default, where the fairy flies" i press A and look away and in just a second, everything was all black except for 2 words; "Airy Lies" formed from the subtitle phrase. Just wow.

Maybe it's simple or i'm easily impressed, but it has never happened to me in other titles.

Now i love this game even more.

i was on the title screen, not paying attention... "Bravely Default, where the fairy flies" i press A and look away and in just a second, everything was all black except for 2 words; "Airy Lies" formed from the subtitle phrase. Just wow.

Maybe it's simple or i'm easily impressed, but it has never happened to me in other titles.

Yeah, I really loved that as well. Was a small, but nice touch.

So, are Vampires really all that great? Does it take considerable effort to learn the skills? I kind of just want to plow through the rest of the game and beat it (only on chapter 4) but I also would kind of feel bad totally missing out on using a good class. However, I've always hated blue mages and the process of hoping enemies attack you with certain skills or jumping through hoops for get them to trigger.

Could I just ignore the Vamp class and be fine? (I already have it, I just mean don't bother using it)

Weiss

Banned
So regarding the plan of the Evil One...

(huge spoilers, by the way)

From what I understand when her identity was revealed, Airy killed the party on the airship before going into another Luxendarc, and did this repeatedly over millions of years, so why does she let the group live when they start traveling into alternate universes? Why didn't she just kill them once they awakened the Earth Crystal?

Haha, I loved it too.

Masked Man

I said wow

I played the original Japanese version, and
a similar touch was included on the JPN title screen as well. The original subtitle, "Flying Fairy", loses the two F's and becomes "Lying Airy". It works on two levels: it confirms that Airy is an awful, manipulative bitch; moreover, it implies that Bravely Default is not just another Final Fantasy (FF) spin-off, but its own title, substantial in its own right.

So regarding the plan of the Evil One...

(huge spoilers, by the way)

From what I understand when her identity was revealed, Airy killed the party on the airship before going into another Luxendarc, and did this repeatedly over millions of years, so why does she let the group live when they start traveling into alternate universes? Why didn't she just kill them once they awakened the Earth Crystal?

Big Spoilers:

I honestly think she was just so close to being done, and she could manipulate them into reawakening the crystals 4 more times that she just kept them alive to save the trouble of her having to wait for new Warriors of Light. That's just what I think - I don't think the game really says one way or another. Or maybe the previous Warriors of Light caught on to her plans quicker and she had to kill them anyways. Our group was a bit slower on the uptake besides Ringabel. :p

Renoir

fuck the adventurer and the fuking fox.ps. dont tell me to kill the fox.. he just call him back from probably another world that i opened with those fucking crystals...

Strats are welcomed.. can you tell im upset?

Baliis

fuck the adventurer and the fuking fox.ps. dont tell me to kill the fox.. he just call him back from probably another world that i opened with those fucking crystals...

Afaik, if you somehow kill him first, the fox just brings him back anyways.

Niraj

Like most bosses at that point, I did 3 Pirates with Bushido secondary and a Spiritmaster with White Magic secondary (and Hasten World). Just use Stillness and save up BP, then after it runs out, Free Lunch+3 Amped Strikes. Helps if you give Hermes shoes to your 3 pirates so that they're definitely faster than the Spiritmaster. Then you just use Stillness again and repeat. They'll kill the fox first, and then damage the adventurer. I don't think I took any damage. It's hardly worth it though. This is all you get: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRiW0xgdwiOThu It doesn't do anything.

Tripon

I'm currently in chapter 5 trying to do all the sidequests. (I know I don't have to do it, but I want to.) Can somebody tell me how to get the two endings? Spoilers of course.

Also, I haven't gotten Vampire, or Conjurer yet. Can I do it in this chapter, or do I have to wait? Or did I miss them completely?

Renoir

Like most bosses at that point, I did 3 Pirates with Bushido secondary and a Spiritmaster with White Magic secondary (and Hasten World). Just use Stillness and save up BP, then after it runs out, Free Lunch+3 Amped Strikes. Helps if you give Hermes shoes to your 3 pirates so that they're definitely faster than the Spiritmaster. Then you just use Stillness again and repeat. They'll kill the fox first, and then damage the adventurer. I don't think I took any damage. It's hardly worth it though. This is all you get: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRiW0xgdwiOThu It doesn't do anything.

Fkn hell.. All that. For this!!?
I think iI got a tumor over this.

Thks for the strat I'ma give it a shot. If I don't succeed I'm just going to kill the
liar
and finish the game.

Niraj

I'm currently in chapter 5 trying to do all the sidequests. (I know I don't have to do it, but I want to.) Can somebody tell me how to get the two endings? Spoilers of course.

Also, I haven't gotten Vampire, or Conjurer yet. Can I do it in this chapter, or do I have to wait? Or did I miss them completely?

To get the first ending, break a crystal at any point by pressing X repeatedly after Airy tells you to stop at any point from chapter 5 through chapter 8. After you finish that, it will take you back to the point before you broke the crystal, and you can continue as normal. To get the other one, just continue as you normally would.

Vampire you can get now. Conjurer is in Chapter 6.

Fkn hell.. All that. For this!!?
I think iI got a tumor over this.

Thks for the strat I'ma give it a shot. If I don't succeed I'm just going to kill the
liar

lol yeah I was disappointed too honestly.

I played the original Japanese version, and
a similar touch was included on the JPN title screen as well. The original subtitle, "Flying Fairy", loses the two F's and becomes "Lying Airy". It works on two levels: it confirms that Airy is an awful, manipulative bitch; moreover, it implies that Bravely Default is not just another Final Fantasy (FF) spin-off, but its own title, substantial in its own right.

That's awesome! I was wondering how it was done on other versions.

Love this detail, it's like the game narrative speaking directly to you. And fits perfectly.

So I've been steam rolling this game with either Hunter or Ninja pure DPS. Now I'm 63 on all characters in Chapter 4, and I'm getting wrecked at the
Vampire Tower
and the
Earth Crystal temple
, as in, instead of doing 2k damage I'm doing like 300-400 damage per hit on my Ninjas. Help with any class combos?

I'm assuming it does. Otherwise I am not sure how I got Mammon.

I haven't gotten it yet... So I'm assuming it doesn't. You may have gotten lucky with Net Friend invites.

Mgrgr! I got another streetpass today, and it's an Asmodeus! >_< It seems like that and Belphegor are the only nemesis that exist in my area. -_-

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Does anyone wanna send me their Elixir holding Mamoon pls? ;-;

PM friend code if willing!

KHlover

Banned
So I've been steam rolling this game with either Hunter or Ninja pure DPS. Now I'm 63 on all characters in Chapter 4, and I'm getting wrecked at the
Vampire Tower
and the
Earth Crystal temple
, as in, instead of doing 2k damage I'm doing like 300-400 damage per hit on my Ninjas. Help with any class combos?
At this point it's neat to have a Black Mage LV14 for his Ignore M.Def ability. Massively helped me.

Tripon

I haven't gotten it yet... So I'm assuming it doesn't. You may have gotten lucky with Net Friend invites.

Mgrgr! I got another streetpass today, and it's an Asmodeus! >_< It seems like that and Belphegor are the only nemesis that exist in my area. -_-

Sorry to hear that.

Top Bottom