• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

colinp

Banned
Am I the only one who played with voices off? I know enough Japanese to understand the Japanese voices are just as bad as the English.

(true ending spoilers)
Tiz is in that healing tank thing. You're seeing everything from his perspective. Airy's sister is the fairy you see at the beginning of the game, and presumably entered Tiz's body to ensure that her sister would be stopped. It seems to be implied that Tiz was near death, and the presence of Airy's sister was the only thing sustaining him, which is why he falls into the coma after she leaves. The created thing is probably referring to Airy's twisted form. Due to the fact that she does have this fairy form sister, it seems plausible to assume that the fairy form was her original state, not that disgusting slug thing. This is also supported by her third form (her most powerful, complete form) being fairylike in depiction.

The chasm is the point where each world is connected, yes. I don't know whether they always die, but it does seem like that is the most likely circumstance (aside from the ones that we play as of course). I'm guessing the friend worlds are worlds that Airy hadn't accessed yet. Your supposition at the end of the paragraph about Alternis is likely the correct one. Even though he goes to stop them, he never wanted Edea to die.

The Agnes who fell into the world where DeRosso and the Sage were fighting is assumedly the same one who talks through the pendant. Ringabel went to a world where he was dead (assumedly), but Tiz and co were alive, so he could save them this time. Remember, the sage says they can pick any world to live in that they wanted to, and as there's theoretically an infinite number with an infinite number of differences or similarities (note the differences in chapters 5-8, or lack thereof), it seems that he was able to land in one that suited him. Granted, considering that infinite number of worlds, that also does seem implausible, but whatever lol.

That's just what I thought though, that's by no means the absolute answer to anything. Just felt like responding since we've had a back and forth here for a bit lol.

Thanks a lot for the reply - yeah ,we have talked a lot back and forth during my playthrough, lol. :)

About the stuff you said:

***(true ending spoilers)***

Ohhh, so it was Airy's sister who was likely entered Tiz's body when he was near death after the chasm happened. See, I thought about that, but wasn't really sure. That makes more sense than it was supposed to be the "player", lol. Although the stuff Ouroboros says before the final encounter kinda pokes fun at us the players (by saying we are just being entertained by other's suffering). Yeah, that also makes sense about what Ouroboros was referring to when he said he "created" Airy - the slug Airy, not Airy in general. I wonder what made Airy decide to aid Ouroboros.. Hmm..

Oh, I didn't even think about the Friend's worlds being ones that Airy hadn't accessed yet - interesting. Quite possible. I'm not sure if Alternis/Ringabel actually chose the world he landed in after falling into the Holy Pillar or he just got lucky and ended up in the next world where he could join up with Tiz, Agnes, and of course, the lovely Edea :)P). Technically, Ringabel didn't go into a world where he was dead, though. Alternis was still alive and well in that first world we play in - Ringabel just had no memories so he took that new name.

Thanks again for responding - I appreciate it! I always love having some nice discussions after beating a game (with a more complicated story). Personally, I'm a big fan of parallel universe/multiverse storylines, and they always fun to try to piece together. I wonder where the sequel is going from there... I wonder how much time has passed since Tiz supposedly died or passed out or whatever.

Videoneon

Goddammit. I never got any villagers from the demo. I didn't beat the whole thing: cleared the "Wind Temple" in the demo and some bosses opened up in the oasis and I just left the game alone afterwards. =\

I've actually been ignoring the Norende rebuilding =3

On the note of voices, I thought Ringabel's Japanese voice was a bit too deep, or too bass, perhaps.

burgerdog

Lord, this game just never ends if you do these sub quests post chapter 5. Did this have a low budget to recycle all this content over and over again? I love the combat but this is just crazy. Hoping there's not much left and I rarely say that about a game.

Korosenai

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Though i'm not ok with getting destroyed by every single boss. Any good grinding spots? I'm currently level 55, I want to try to grind up to 60 real fast.

Though i'm not ok with getting destroyed by every single boss. Any good grinding spots? I'm currently level 55, I want to try to grind up to 60 real fast.

Levels don't matter when most of the enemies in the chapter do fixed damage or ignore your stats. Focus on mastering classes (preferably ninja, RM, and spiritmaster so you can negate bullshit elemental spells)

That grinding spot is to the east of Florem, in between two mountains in a forest, I believe

Korosenai

Just outside of Florem. Best grinding spot in the game.

Florem, grind on Rafflesias (I forgot the exact location)

Levels don't matter when most of the enemies in the chapter do fixed damage or ignore your stats. Focus on mastering classes (preferably ninja, RM, and spiritmaster so you can negate bullshit elemental spells)

That grinding spot is to the east of Florem, in between two mountains in a forest, I believe
Thanks, ill go there now. Ill probably just focus right now instead on grinding everyones jobs up to level 10.

Lord, this game just never ends if you do these sub quests post chapter 5. Did this have a low budget to recycle all this content over and over again? I love the combat but this is just crazy. Hoping there's not much left and I rarely say that about a game.

Skip the sidequests in Chapters 5 and 6 for the most part. The dialogue changes slightly sometimes, but other times, it's the exact same oddly enough. No good steals or anything either. But in Chapter 6, do the
Conjurer sidequest with the Sage - I really enjoyed it. Plus, it's a new job.

Do the sidequests in Chapter 7 because they are harder (good challenge) and STEAL from them all. You can get some great items by doing that. Chapter 8 - they are just for a challenge. No good steal-able items really. Truthfully, they are really good fights and quite challenging, though.

Outside Florem is the best spot Ch5+. Or that's where I always leveled. With the growth egg, you get something like 12k+ exp per battle (well, not every battle - depends on the enemy types you get) and 600-999JP.

EDIT: Is there actually a spot where you can fight those 6 small enemies exclusively? I always just fought outside Florem and sometimes you would get them. Leveling up jobs/levels would have been even faster if I had known there was a better spot, lol.

burgerdog

Skip the sidequests in Chapters 5 and 6 for the most part. The dialogue changes slightly sometimes, but other times, it's the exact same oddly enough. No good steals or anything either. But in Chapter 6, do the
Conjurer sidequest with the Sage - I really enjoyed it. Plus, it's a new job.

Do the sidequests in Chapter 7 because they are harder (good challenge) and STEAL from them all. You can get some great items by doing that. Chapter 8 - they are just for a challenge. No good steal-able items really. Truthfully, they are really good fights and quite challenging, though.

Outside Florem is the best spot Ch5+. Or that's where I always leveled. With the growth egg, you get something like 12k+ exp per battle (well, not every battle - depends on the enemy types you get) and 600-999JP.

EDIT: Is there actually a spot where you can fight those 6 small enemies exclusively? I always just fought outside Florem and sometimes you would get them. Leveling up jobs/levels would have been even faster if I had known there was a better spot, lol.

I've pretty much done everything up to chapter 8. I simply can't ignore side quests for some reason and it's leading me to hate the second half of the game. No matter, I'm in the last stretch of side quests in chapter 8 now and will be done within the hour.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ohhh, so it was Airy's sister who was likely entered Tiz's body when he was near death after the chasm happened. See, I thought about that, but wasn't really sure. That makes more sense than it was supposed to be the "player", lol. Although the stuff Ouroboros says before the final encounter kinda pokes fun at us the players (by saying we are just being entertained by other's suffering). Yeah, that also makes sense about what Ouroboros was referring to when he said he "created" Airy - the slug Airy, not Airy in general. I wonder what made Airy decide to aid Ouroboros.. Hmm..

Oh, I didn't even think about the Friend's worlds being ones that Airy hadn't accessed yet - interesting. Quite possible. I'm not sure if Alternis/Ringabel actually chose the world he landed in after falling into the Holy Pillar or he just got lucky and ended up in the next world where he could join up with Tiz, Agnes, and of course, the lovely Edea :)P). Technically, Ringabel didn't go into a world where he was dead, though. Alternis was still alive and well in that first world we play in - Ringabel just had no memories so he took that new name.

Thanks again for responding - I appreciate it! I always love having some nice discussions after beating a game (with a more complicated story). Personally, I'm a big fan of parallel universe/multiverse storylines, and they always fun to try to piece together. I wonder where the sequel is going from there... I wonder how much time has passed since Tiz supposedly died or passed out or whatever.

In regards to Ringabel, the reason I suggest what I did is that in the ending, it shows Tiz, Agnes, and Edea fighting Airy, and he shows up in his Dark Knight armor (Edea also refers to him as Alternis, and he refers to himself that way as well). It seemed reasonable that he was the only Alternis left in that world. And yes, Alternis was alive in the first world we play, but Ringabel is Alternis, just from a previous world we don't play.

Grinding wise, I did mine on the island northwest of Florem with the grassy area, the beach, and the snowy area all on the same island. The one with one of the dragon obelisks. I don't know if it was actually different or I just wanted to believe it was, but it seemed like I was getting groups of 6 Rafflesias more often.

Espada

Okay, so I took your guys advice and got Usutsusemi and it made those dragons much more manageable, but
Vampire Tower
was downright hellish. Only 3 types of enemies in there but all three were a pain. How are you supposed to deal with goddamn Hellhound counters anyway?

And as if it wasn't bad enough, the boss at the end wiped me out repeatedly until I figured out his (absolutely brutal) trick. Is this new job good? I'm sick of grinding due to the metric shitton I had to do to prepare for the dragons.

Finally got to Chapter 5 last night. I knew what was coming for the most part but that doesn't make it any less baffling when you're staring it in the face. What in the world were they thinking?
It basically feels like an optional boss rush mode or something, only it's not optional and you have to do it multiple times. Considering how well designed the previous four chapters were it's truly hard to comprehend how this decision got the green light.

I wouldn't even mind avoiding grinding and doing all the sidequests if it actually felt fair, but a few fights against Barras and Holly showed me that fair was officially out the window. What is up with that ridiculous move Barras pulls out of nowhere when he's almost dead?

Oh well, off to Florem I suppose. It's crazy, the first four chapters of this game I would put up there with any FF but now I'm just hoping I can make it through the game without despising it by the end. I know it's all been said a thousand times but it's just insane.

Any recommended job class combos at the end of Chapter 2? Just recently unlocked summoner, ranger, valkyrie and red mage and debating character builds. Right now I'm going with:

Tiz: Black Mage / Time Mage
Ringabel: Ranger / Thief
Edea: Valkyrie / Knight
Agnes: Time Mage / White Mage

Totakeke

Finally got to chapter 5, taking my time but it's all cool on hard mode. Says 49 hours but I probably spent close to 60 with all the wipes. Good thing this doesn't suffer from the inverse difficulty thing jrpgs tend to have but enemy first strike deaths do get annoying.

Someone tell me how to defeat
Barras Lehr with his annoying invigorate bombs, once he starts half my party is dead and there's no recovering. Ninja cheese again?

Tripon

Finally got to chapter 5, taking my time but it's all cool on hard mode. Says 49 hours but I probably spent close to 60 with all the wipes. Good thing this doesn't suffer from the inverse difficulty thing jrpgs tend to have but enemy first strike deaths do get annoying.

Someone tell me how to defeat
Barras Lehr with his annoying invigorate bombs, once he starts half my party is dead and there's no recovering. Ninja cheese again?

Get re-raise. Since you're in chapter 5, you can get the level 6 spells from your airship.

Totakeke

Get re-raise. Since you're in chapter 5, you can get the level 6 spells from your airship.

Oh what. I was looking through all the shops and saw nothing new. Thanks for the tip, that's really terrible to hide it that way. :/

Also do
the boss fights reappear again in Chapter 6 if I did them in Chapter 5?

MSMrRound

Someone tell me

I pretty much used my Fist Lore+Natural Talent with Haste World added in 4x High Jump skill set.

Only got stuck when
I had to face those two groups of four...the spell spammers+swordmaster/ninja combo. Took a while to clear these guys.

Wrapping up Chapter 3 right now.

Have to say, I'm very curious about Chapter 5. I'm in a place right now where I can't imagine the story being worse. So color me interested in the chapter where it supposedly gets significantly worse. I can only imagine at as watching Transformers and suddenly it turning into The Room.

I actually really loved Chapter 3. It was incredibly long but I enjoyed the whole
civil war sub-plot
and the asterisk side quests. Chapter 2 was the weakest of the first four to me.

The thing is, I think Chapters 5-8 are interesting from a story perspective. I get what they were trying to do and it makes sense in the context of the story (kind of...
I question why the characters kept going tbh.
). But it just does not translate into a fun gameplay experience. Would have been better if they had like... streamlined that whole process or even just used cutscenes. I know some people would moan about not having control, but I'd rather that happen over what we got.

That said, I really enjoyed Chapter 7 and 8 because of the new sidequests. There's a lot of new dialogue in those chapters and the fights are quite challenging, but give good Steal rewards (well, chapter 7 anyways). Shame Chapter 5 and 6 were not like that (minus the new
Conjurer sidequest which I liked.

The thing is, I think Chapters 5-8 are interesting from a story perspective. I get what they were trying to do and it makes sense in the context of the story (kind of...). But it just does not translate into a fun gameplay experience. Would have been better if they had like... streamlined that whole process or even just used cutscenes. I know some people would moan about not having control, but I'd rather that happen over what we got.

That said, I really enjoyed Chapter 7 and 8 because of the new sidequests. There's a lot of new dialogue in those chapters and the fights are quite challenging, but give good Steal rewards. Shame Chapter 5 and 6 were not like that (minus the new
Conjurer sidequest which I liked.
I think I'm going to take your advice as far as avoiding the sidequests in Chapter 5 and 6
(other than the conjurer one)
and then picking them back up in Chapter 7. In the meantime I'll probably need to do some Chapter 5 grinding. Any tips on a good level for continuing with the story stuff?

I think I'm going to take your advice as far as avoiding the sidequests in Chapter 5 and 6
(other than the conjurer one)
and then picking them back up in Chapter 7. In the meantime I'll probably need to do some Chapter 5 grinding. Any tips on a good level for continuing with the story stuff?

I ended up doing every sidequest in every chapter, but looking back, Chapters 5 and 6 sidequests (minus that one I talked about which I recommend everyone do) were pointless and a waste of time, so I wish I had just skipped them. So yeah, that's probably wise to just do the Chapters 7 and 8 ones.

I grinded up to 80 when I was in Chapter 5, then went up to 99 in Chapter 7. There was no reason why I chose those numbers. Just when I got bored of grinding and wanted to continue on, lol.

Which ending are you going for first? If you want the first ending, I'd do it in
Chapter 6, after reawakening the first 3 crystals in that chapter and talking with the sage for story stuff - do the Conjurer sidequest after the convo with the Sage. After you see the first ending, you will be back where you started with no progress lost.

I ended up doing every sidequest in every chapter, but looking back, Chapters 5 and 6 sidequests (minus that one I talked about which I recommend everyone do) were pointless and a waste of time, so I wish I had just skipped them. So yeah, that's probably wise to just do the Chapters 7 and 8 ones.

I grinded up to 80 when I was in Chapter 5, then went up to 99 in Chapter 7. There was no reason why I chose those numbers. Just when I got bored of grinding and wanted to continue on, lol.

Which ending are you going for first? If you want the first ending, I'd do it in
Chapter 6, after reawakening the first 3 crystals in that chapter and talking with the sage for story stuff - do the Conjurer sidequest after the convo with the Sage. After you see the first ending, you will be back where you started with no progress lost.
I haven't looked into how to get each ending so I guess I'll end up getting the first one and then the better one after that.

Thanks for the tips, I'm glad some of you guys have paved the way through this path of insanity for slower players like me, haha.

One more question, what's a good time to fight the
dragons and do the Vampire Castle? I know I can do it whenever but the game seems to have thrown any semblance of a reasonable difficulty curve out the window so I'm not sure if I should grind first or whatever.

Grinding in JRPG's is very much against my nature so it's almost sad to see how quickly I've given in to it with this game. I'm not sure if that says more about me or the game, to be honest.

I haven't looked into how to get each ending so I guess I'll end up getting the first one and then the better one after that.

Thanks for the tips, I'm glad some of you guys have paved the way through this path of insanity for slower players like me, haha.

One more question, what's a good time to fight the
dragons and do the Vampire Castle? I know I can do it whenever but the game seems to have thrown any semblance of a reasonable difficulty curve out the window so I'm not sure if I should grind first or whatever.

Grinding in JRPG's is very much against my nature so it's almost sad to see how quickly I've given in to it with this game. I'm not sure if that says more about me or the game, to be honest.

haha yeah, anything to help reduce the pain in those later chapters... xD

If you have any questions about how to get the first ending when you get to that point, just ask in the thread and someone will answer you. The game makes it pretty obvious what to do in Chapter 6, though.

Well, I did the
dragons and vampire stuff in Chapter 4. The longer you wait to do it, the more challenging it gets - in particular Chapter 7 and 8. So I'd definitely do it before that point. As far as the Vampire castle itself, just turn off random encounters for the entire dungeon - seriously. The enemies in there are fucking annoying and not worth fighting when you can just go grind near Florem for good/faster exp without the headache. And when you are going up the castle, there's a big painting on each floor - examine it for a lot of great backstory/lore of the world and the vampire himself. I think I was 65 or so when I did the Vampire quest in Chapter 4, lol.

I actually can enjoy grinding if I find the battle system fun and the level up system entertaining. Thankfully, that is definitely the case in Bravely Default. It's so satisfying leveling up so many jobs and seeing your characters progress. And it has so many options for making the grind less painful - speed up encounter rate, speed up animations in battle, auto-battle (Crescent Moon x2 with Two Handed on each character no matter what job = win), growth egg, etc.

MSMrRound

do they ever explain wtf an asterisk is lorewise and why when you fight a asterisk boss you are dueling in the shadow realm or w/e?

the Sage is the one in charge of the job asterisks. Only he possesses the knowledge of forging the asterisks, which is why they can't produce those job asterisks en masse and it only goes to a selected few that the Sage deemed worthy enough. Once a fight begin in the asterisk realm (as stated in the first fight with Holly White and the Monk), you can't escape and will have to fight it out with them in order to end it.

Beat it! Finally! That last boss was being a major pain, considering the previous 45 hours posed absolutely no problem whatsoever. Alas, I got the true ending. Incredible game.

Not onto a few lighter games, before I tackle another RPG.

taybul

What exactly does "Brave Attack rate" mean? I see an item that increases that by 10% but I'm not exactly sure what it's increasing.

Beat it! Finally! That last boss was being a major pain, considering the previous 45 hours posed absolutely no problem whatsoever. Alas, I got the true ending. Incredible game.

Not onto a few lighter games, before I tackle another RPG.

Just curious, what level were you? Does the final boss
do %-based attacks? I was lvl99 with 9000~HP and some of his moves almost one shotted me - some of them did die actually. The only way I see lower level people doing it is if it was HP% based and not a certain # per attack.

I really don't get the complaining about Barras' failed Invigorates of all things, those were there in the original battle too
In Chapter 5 it wiped my party whenever it hit even if they had full health (with the exception of my spiritmaster maybe). Maybe I'm just lower level than most people by that time, around the mid 50's.

man do lvl 5 black mage cost a lot of mp... turbo ethers ain't cheap either. what were they thinking not having any kind of 'tent' like item in this?

maybe i should stop using Black Mages :X

Top Bottom