• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Damn, this game is ridiculously addictive. I had my 3DS next to me during the entire Titanfall beta so I could check/update Norende in between matches.

If anyone's looking, I'm sending Mammon (JP w/ Elixer!) via Homepass right now:
Code:
SSID: attwifi
MAC: 00:A2:8B:E2:71:3E
It took me forever to find one so I figured I had better pay it forward :)

I'd love to pass next time you're on. I have quite a few folks from Animal Crossing GAF and others that are playing that I will send it to. :D

Damn, this game is ridiculously addictive. I had my 3DS next to me during the entire Titanfall beta so I could check/update Norende in between matches.

If anyone's looking, I'm sending Mammon (JP w/ Elixer!) via Homepass right now:
Code:
SSID: attwifi
MAC: 00:A2:8B:E2:71:3E
It took me forever to find one so I figured I had better pay it forward :)

Oh man, I'd love that next time! How do I connect to you with this method?

Does anyone else have one? I've been looking for a week now.

I've given up on ever getting the Mammon Nemesis. I don't really need it anymore anyways because of how quickly you can farm money toward the end of the game. Can get anywhere between 15000-28000 per battle with Golden Egg + More Money. And I've purchased everything I want now.

Truth be told, I do not like the Nemesis system they have in place one bit. It's an interesting concept (more bosses), but they way they send them out is really stupid. IMO, SE should send out Nemesis based on where you are in the story (like Chapter 2 = Mammon (lvl25), then another level 30-35 one, etc). The way it is now, you have to have a lot of luck to get any good ones. 80% of the ones I have gotten are level 70-99+ (and this was back when I was level 20). And they still send me level 10 ones sometimes. Some of those might be from other people, but it's still dumb. If it comes back in the sequel, I hope they plan them out better so you can actually see every Nemesis.

I mean you could definitely make the money quickly. Since you're in chapter 5, the island NE of Florem (has snow, grass, and a beach, looks like a triangle) is easy mode for jp, exp, and pg. I think with Golden egg+more money+the sweeper bonus, I would get something like 25k plus per battle. So you'd probably be fine going that route, just make sure you can kill that stuff quickly.

I ended up getting the golden egg first. I just couldn't ignore the math.

It took like 20 minutes to get up to 600k. Haha. So insane. I'm glad you can get money so quickly, there is too many really expensive things that I want.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is it bad that I ended up switching from Normal to Easy? I just really don't want to spend a long amount of time on bosses and get frustrated over it.

I'm still on Chapter 1 -- so I don't know if it's just me or if the game is fairly challenging early on, but I'm stuck on
Orthros. That one dual attack kills me since he ends up taking two moves.

Any tips?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I ended up getting the golden egg first. I just couldn't ignore the math.

It took like 20 minutes to get up to 600k. Haha. So insane. I'm glad you can get money so quickly, there is too many really expensive things that I want.

Yeah it's nice that that's available. I wanted to 100% the inventory/equipment so I needed all of that :p I was kind of annoyed to learn that some of the Norende items aren't counted, but at least they were useful.

Truth be told, I do not like the Nemesis system they have in place one bit. It's an interesting concept (more bosses), but they way they send them out is really stupid. IMO, SE should send out Nemesis based on where you are in the story (like Chapter 2 = Mammon (lvl25), then another level 30-35 one, etc). The way it is now, you have to have a lot of luck to get any good ones. 80% of the ones I have gotten are level 70-99+ (and this was back when I was level 20). And they still send me level 10 ones sometimes. Some of those might be from other people, but it's still dumb. If it comes back in the sequel, I hope they plan them out better so you can actually see every Nemesis.

Yeah, the handing out of Nemeses is really, for a lack of a better word, rubbish.

While I've been fortunate to see every Nemesis (except the Level 56 Beelzebub, but that one's pointless), getting one you want is a total lottery.

Luckily I have two 3DSs so I can keep a lot of good Level 99 Nemeses (Turtle Dove, Goldie, New Year and Be Mine), then StreetPass them to myself.

But ever since I've done that, there are loads of Nemeses I have seen for ages, like Asmodeus, Belphegor or Level 50 Satan.

I also wonder if some Nemeses are going extinct?

Meier

Money is so hard to come by. I have 84k now. I can't even imagine getting up to the 200k required for the money egg. Seems impossible.

Money is so hard to come by. I have 84k now. I can't even imagine getting up to the 200k required for the money egg. Seems impossible.

Depends what chapter you're in. I felt the same way until chapter 4, then I started making enough to get up near 200k by the end of it. Just dont buy anything! haha

Chapter 8:

Is there any point in stealing from Chapter 8 sidequest bosses? They can be quite hard, and sometimes I put off killing them faster so I can steal from them all, but 90% of the time, I just get stuff like Elixirs and Turbo Ethers... Never any weapons or gear.

Niraj

Chapter 8:

Is there any point in stealing from Chapter 8 sidequest bosses? They can be quite hard, and sometimes I put off killing them faster so I can steal from them all, but 90% of the time, I just get stuff like Elixirs and Turbo Ethers... Never any weapons or gear.

No, that's all they give you, except for
Ominas. But you should probably have 4 of those already if you've been using Rob Blind. It's the same item he had in the previous chapter twice.

No, that's all they give you, except for
Ominas. But you should probably have 4 of those already if you've been using Rob Blind. It's the same item he had in the previous chapter twice.

Alright cool, thanks. Yeah, I did get
the robe from Ominas or whatever it was. But since then, all I got was elixirs and junk. I mean, they aren't bad items, but not sure if it's worth the trouble of stealing since I rarely if ever use those items in battle as it is (got 82 turbo ethers and 32 elixirs - plenty I'm sure). And I heard you don't get anything by doing the boss gauntlet at the end of all these sidequests except an updated journal page for Braev? That's a shame. Should give a new outfit or something. Not sure if I wanna do that gauntlet or not... I kinda just want the game over with by this point, lol.

Niraj

Alright cool, thanks. Yeah, I did get
the robe from Ominas or whatever it was. But since then, all I got was elixirs and junk. I mean, they aren't bad items, but not sure if it's worth the trouble of stealing since I rarely if ever use those items in battle as it is (got 82 turbo ethers and 32 elixirs - plenty I'm sure). And I heard you don't get anything by doing the boss gauntlet at the end of all these sidequests except an updated journal page for Braev? That's a shame. Should give a new outfit or something. Not sure if I wanna do that gauntlet or not... I kinda just want the game over with by this point, lol.

lol yeah, that's all you get from it. I was disappointed too :/

lol yeah, that's all you get from it. I was disappointed too :/

Boo... If
if was an interesting journal update revealing something new, I'd probably do it, but a lot of the journal entries are just repeats of previous entries with minor updates here and there. It's probably not worth the trouble. I dunno, I might try it, but I have a feeling it'll take a long time to plow through all of those bosses.

Finished the game at 53 hrs, rushed through chapters 7 and 8 with lvl 99 party and all jobs maxed out. Final team was Templar, salevemaker, ninja and pirate.

Story spoilers:
liked the ending, more than I thought. It was cute and charming and saved the game from the burden of the few last chapters. Once again the power of friendship prevails but in this case I grew to believe the characters actually were friends. It harkens back to old school FF games for sure.

The teaser for BD2 was awesome because it addressed the final revelation about Tiz. Is it safe to assume we're getting BD2 in the west seeing as the teaser was shown and translated? Also I laughed at Ba'al Buster.

Niraj

Boo... If
if was an interesting journal update revealing something new, I'd probably do it, but a lot of the journal entries are just repeats of previous entries with minor updates here and there. It's probably not worth the trouble. I dunno, I might try it, but I have a feeling it'll take a long time to plow through all of those bosses.

It's not very interesting, no lol.

Tripon

I'm in the middle of chapter 5, despite being at level 67 and grinding though the game, the difficulty level in the game just took a massive swerve up. Its like the game just took off its training wheels without telling me and gave me the middle finger.

B.K.

I'm in Chapter 7 now. I've got three or four sidequests left in the chapter. I'm about ready to skip all the sidequests and rush to the end.

Fuck...

Chapter 8:

Does anyone have any tips for doing the Barbarossa/Qada/Kikyo/Praline battle? I keep getting DESTROYED because stupid Praline gives them almost unlimited BP which usually leads to the Pirate guy doing a one-two punch of lower def -> Double Damage which does like 9000~ damage total one shotting my character. I've tried Utsusemi-cheesing, but it doesn't really work that well on this fight because they attack so many times per round. I feel like all of those characters are doing a shit ton of damage compared to the previous three sidequests in Ch8. Ugh. I'm level 99, too.. lol.

Niraj

Fuck...

Chapter 8:

Does anyone have any tips for doing the Barbarossa/Qada/Kikyo/Praline battle? I keep getting DESTROYED because stupid Praline gives them almost unlimited BP which usually leads to the Pirate guy doing a one-two punch of lower def -> Double Damage which does like 9000~ damage total one shotting my character. I've tried Utsusemi-cheesing, but it doesn't really work that well on this fight because they attack so many times per round. I feel like all of those characters are doing a shit ton of damage compared to the previous three sidequests in Ch8. Ugh. I'm level 99, too.. lol.

It honestly depends on what kind of team you're using, but definitely take Praline out first.

Personally, I was still using a 3 pirate/bushido+spiritmaster/white magic team. All I did was default with the pirates first turn, stillness with the spiritmaster. Default up, then when stillness ends, brave x3, free lunch, amped strike x3 all on Praline. If she doesn't die that turn, she should the next turn. It helps if your pirates are faster than the spiritmaster so you can attack and then use stillness again if need be. I think I took out Kikyo next because of that Shippujinrai bullshit, then Qada, then Barbarossa, then the other dude. Just be careful not to attack Qada too soon, otherwise he will rip you with dark breath.

It honestly depends on what kind of team you're using, but definitely take Praline out first.

Personally, I was still using a 3 pirate/bushido+spiritmaster/white magic team. All I did was default with the pirates first turn, stillness with the spiritmaster. Default up, then when stillness ends, brave x3, free lunch, amped strike x3 all on Praline. If she doesn't die that turn, she should the next turn. It helps if your pirates are faster than the spiritmaster so you can attack and then use stillness again if need be. I think I took out Kikyo next because of that Shippujinrai bullshit, then Qada, then Barbarossa, then the other dude. Just be careful not to attack Qada too soon, otherwise he will rip you with dark breath.

Thanks, I'll give it a try! Definitely the hardest battle in the game so far, imo.

---

@RangerBAD - Chapter 3, toward the end of it.

Will I miss anything important if I skip the Chapter 7 and 8 sidequest fights?

Chapter 7 is the one I wouldn't skip - all the bosses have pretty dang good weapons/armor to steal. Chapter 8 - can skip honestly unless you just want a good challenge (
You fight 4 bosses vs you on each sidequest. Quite challenging.

Niraj

Will I miss anything important if I skip the Chapter 7 and 8 sidequest fights?

There are some decent steals in chapter 7. The chapter 8 boss fights I actually found to be some of the more entertaining ones (there are also a lot less of them, for a specific reason). Would you really miss anything itemwise? Not really.

Gamefly screwed the pooch, and I didn't actually get this until Friday. Coming in here and reading shit about how bad the ass end of the game is bums me out.

I am not to where BD apparently falls apart, and as a person who gives two shits about stories in games, nothing could ever be worse than Xenoegears since Xenogears disc 2 actively took control away from me and made me read hours and hours of text with Fei and Elly doing nothing but sitting in a chair.

I was wondering where you were in this.

As someone who does give at least one shit about stories in games, I gotta say I'm right with you there. Xenogears is the reason I never even bothered with Xenosaga, for better or worse.

Woooo, thanks so much for the tips. That totally worked. It was still a close call and I had to use a few Elixirs, but it got a lot easier once I got
Praline
down.

Bento

Okay, just got to Chapter 5;

and now I can do a rematch against all the bosses again, is this somthing I should bother with in this chapter if I don't really have that much need for the XP or JP? Do they have good stuff to steal? I've beaten Omnias and Holly/Barras and they've only had junk so far to steal. Just want to know if it's worth my time since it seems like all the bosses will return yet again in the coming chapters, maybe do it then instead?

Okay, just got to Chapter 5;

and now I can do a rematch against all the bosses again, is this somthing I should bother with in this chapter if I don't really have that much need for the XP or JP? Do they have good stuff to steal? I've beaten Omnias and Holly/Barras and they've only had junk so far to steal. Just want to know if it's worth my time since it seems like all the bosses will return yet again in the coming chapters, maybe do it then instead?

As someone who has
repeated every sidequest/boss fight in Chapters 5, 6, 7, and almost 8... I can safely say that's probably fine if you want to skip Chapters 5 and 6 sidequests (EXCEPT the Conjurer sidequest! Do that one for sure. It starts at the Sage's house after you return to him for a story part in that chapter). Do not skip Chapter 7 - you can steal some really good items from all the sidequest bosses (well, most of them). Chapter 8 - can skip if you want as you mostly steal junk like Turbo Ethers and Elixirs, but they can pose quite a challenge. So if you want a really good fight/challenge, go for it (there's less of them in Chapter 8 for a reason - you'll understand why when you get there).

The only thing I can say about Chapters 5 and 6 are
they have very minor dialogue changes, but looking back, I don't think it is worth it. Chapter 6's Monk + White Mage one has a funny ending, but most of them are kinda ehh.

Meier

Depends what chapter you're in. I felt the same way until chapter 4, then I started making enough to get up near 200k by the end of it. Just dont buy anything! haha
Good to hear. I just got to Eternia/Chapter 4. Spent about 20k on some new equipment.

gocubs

Made it to chapter 1 and now it's time to do some grinding for money I need some new gear and spells. The story is whatever but I'm having fun.

B.K.

Chapter 7 sidequest spoilers

I beat the trio of Alternis, Braev, and Kamiizumi at Eternian Central Command, but the blue sidequest bubble is still there on the world map. Did I miss something? Victor wasn't at his usual spot. I don't see anything I could have missed.

Alright. Without any spoilers, what should and shouldn't I do on my first playthrough?

Do all the sidequests from Chapters 1-4.

As HawthorneKitty said, Steal from bosses once you get Thief.

I beat the trio of Alternis, Braev, and Kamiizumi at Eternian Central Command, but the blue sidequest bubble is still there on the world map. Did I miss something? Victor wasn't at his usual spot. I don't see anything I could have missed.

Go to the dungeon where your characters were locked up in Chapter 4.

I was confused at first as well.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Prison

Tripon

You don't need to be a Thief if you use the Thief's Knife, which you get from the Thief subquest. Equip the knife and go to to your items and "Use" it during battle and it lets you Mug dudes (I think it's better than Steal?).

Why not just use Mug, which is one of the Thief's skills?

HawthorneKitty

You don't need to be a Thief if you use the Thief's Knife, which you get from the Thief subquest. Equip the knife and go to to your items and "Use" it during battle and it lets you Mug dudes (I think it's better than Steal?).
Well you won't naturally get Rob Blind and Thieves have a higher chance to steal because of their innate ability.

Hey guys, been really back and forth with this game: I loved Dark Cloud 2, Golden Sun (GBA), and Fire Emblem, and enjoyed games like FFX and IX.

That's really the extent of my JRPG experience-- I wanted to love Ni No Kuni but couldn't get past all the annoying handholding in the first few hours (so I shelved it for now), but outside that, I'm looking for a solid JRPG experience.

This game is really calling to me, how many of you are hardcore fans, and how many of you are just playing because it's fun to get into?

I'm pretty much ready to dive into this, but I keep getting held back by the fear of getting bogged down by the genre.

Tripon

Huh. I was in a middle of a boss battle, and the game crashed. First time that happened to me on a 3DS. I was 25 minutes into the battle too. I feel like I wasted my life!

HawthorneKitty

So I currently own a NA 3DS which I bought on launch ( I ordered it from Amazon US and had it shipped to my country). However I'm currently in the UK for my masters degree and due to region-locking I can't purchase games here. I can use Play-asia to get eshop cards, but I kind of miss purchasing retail. So should I pick up a 3DS XL while I'm here? Or should I just stick with digital purchases through eshop?

I'm trying to decide this before picking up Bravely Default.
You should see if anyone is willing to indulge you with the Best Buy eshop sale.

demidar

well Rob Blind isn't even useful until chapter 5, at which point you should have Rob Blind as a passive and use a Thief's Knife
#toptierstrats

Thief's Knife is great because it allows you to steal without wasting a subclass slot. I only wish there was an item that allows you to Examine as well like Magic Lenses.

Top Bottom