• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Anustart

Anyone know the best support abilities to boost black magic? As of now I've just got the greatly boost power + mp (3 slots) and MP Free in a pinch. Is there a 3 slot combo that would give more power?

Why am I getting wrecked by everything at the start of chapter 4?

Just wait til you get to 5! Every random battle felt like a mini-boss for a while.

demidar

Anyone know the best support abilities to boost black magic? As of now I've just got the greatly boost power + mp (3 slots) and MP Free in a pinch. Is there a 3 slot combo that would give more power?

Just wait til you get to 5! Every random battle felt like a mini-boss for a while.

M. Def Pierce, makes it so enemies act like they have no defense. 3 slots, Black Mage 13.

Level up Black Mage until you get Pierce M. Def at level 12 (3 slots). It's easily the most bang for your buck and lets your mages hit damage cap with Meteor later in the game.

Korosenai

Yay Chapter 5...

Should I bother with randoms or just beat the bosses and find a nice place to grind up? Level 65 now.

Level 65 seems like the sweet spot for me. Just started Chapter 5 today, grinded my way up to level 65, and everything has been pretty easy so far.

Jawmuncher

So am I missing some now that i'm in chapter 3?
I have been buying the best equipment and armor, and have all the classes at level 4 (With my main classes being 9). But now it just seems like this game took one hell of a spike up with it's random battles. Everyone I have is currently level 39. It just seems odd for me to be this high level and for the enemies to be this tough only 15 hours in.

EDIT: Wow apparently people are hitting 60 by chapter 5? Do you go past level 100 in this game or do those later levels just get a huge gap.
The leveling in this game just seems odd, since it's seems im not getting enough XP.

lewisgone

Apparently this game is actually hard to find now? I was going to pick it up a few months down the line, but there isn't a single store nearby that has it in stock so I might have to scrap those plans.

I've heard and noticed this too (at least in the UK). Does anyone with more experience in video game availability have an idea of the chances that this game will become easier to obtain in the future? I wanted to wait until the game hits £30-£25, but it seems at minimum £35 and in most places £40 now due to the low stock. Are Nintendo gonna make more copies (do they usually?), or should I just take the plunge at £35 in case this becomes a mini-Xenoblade situation? Thanks in advance.

So am I missing some now that i'm in chapter 3?
I have been buying the best equipment and armor, and have all the classes at level 4 (With my main classes being 9). But now it just seems like this game took one hell of a spike up with it's random battles. Everyone I have is currently level 39. It just seems odd for me to be this high level and for the enemies to be this tough only 15 hours in.

EDIT: Wow apparently people are hitting 60 by chapter 5? Do you go past level 100 in this game or do those later levels just get a huge gap.
The leveling in this game just seems odd, since it's seems im not getting enough XP.

I dunno. What class setups and attacks are you using?

Weiss

Banned
So I just beat the game.

I get the feeling they were trying to pull an Earthbound with the ending, with the myriad of friend worlds showing up to save the day, but since I never registered anybody all I got were bots.

So this whole time Tiz was being kept alive by Airy's sister? Or is it like Panzer Dragoon Saga where he's being kept alive by the player?

The Secret Ending was pretty cool, and I liked how it was completely told through Tiz's viewpoint. Magnolia already seems like a really cool character.

Now that I think about it, isn't Ringabel supposed to be a sort of unique character in the multiple worlds, in that he only shows up when Alternis watches Airy slaughter the party and then he plunges into the Light Pillar? Why is he showing up in all the alternate universes?

For that matter, the ending implies that Ringabel travels back in time to save his world's Edea, but how does that work? If he traveled back in time then killing Airy there would make the game just not happen.

Jawmuncher

I dunno. What class setups and attacks are you using?
(All Characters Level 42)
LVL 9 Knight/ LVL Sword Magic
LVL 9 Monk/ LVL 5 Acrobatics
LVL 9 White Mage/ LVL 5 Summoning
LVL 9 Black Mage/ LVL 5 Time Magic

Just upped all the other classes to level 5 as well.
Difficulty seems to be more decent on easy but it's still a really odd jump in difficulty.
Since as I said earlier leveling up seems to be pretty pointless in this area since it's excruciatingly slower than usual.

(All Characters Level 42)
LVL 9 Knight/ LVL Sword Magic
LVL 9 Monk/ LVL 5 Acrobatics
LVL 9 White Mage/ LVL 5 Summoning
LVL 9 Black Mage/ LVL 5 Time Magic

Just upped all the other classes to level 5 as well.
Difficulty seems to be more decent on easy but it's still a really odd jump in difficulty.
Since as I said earlier leveling up seems to be pretty pointless in this area since it's excruciatingly slower than usual.

Not bad but you are probably noticing a big drop off in damage output from your Monk and Black Mage

Its a good idea to start transitioning to special attacks (BP skills etc..) since enemies start to have high evade and defenses.

Ranger/Valkyrie/Thief Really shine in Chapter 3. Or at least they did for me. The knight should continue to do well with Stomp/Sword magic as long as you are hitting weakness but he may be better off Two Handing a strong sword and using Judgement.

I really haven't used much attack magic so i cant comment on where to go there but I have mostly avoided a dependence on MP skills for anything outside of bosses. MP is just too limited and annoying to replenish.

Jawmuncher

Not bad but you are probably noticing a big drop off in damage output from your Monk and Black Mage

Its a good idea to start transitioning to special attacks (BP skills etc..) since enemies start to have high evade and defenses.

Ranger/Valkyrie/Thief Really shine in Chapter 3. Or at least they did for me. The knight should continue to do well with Stomp/Sword magic as long as you are hitting weakness but he may be better off Two Handing a strong sword and using Judgement.

I really haven't used much attack magic so i cant comment on where to go there but I have mostly avoided a dependence on MP skills for anything outside of bosses. MP is just too limited and annoying to replenish.

Ok sounds good. Going to switch to those to change things up a bit. Since I believe you're right. Was noticing better damage outputs from those classes when I was leveling them up.

jesus you guys are only level
65?
by chapter 5? I'm
and I just started chapter 4 lol
I was level 56 when I started Chapter 5. Playing on normal, didn't grind at all during the first four Chapters. Once I saw what was in store I said screw that though, and now I've got everyone up to level 70.

I was level 56 when I started Chapter 5. Playing on normal, didn't grind at all during the first four Chapters. Once I saw what was in store I said screw that though, and now I've got everyone up to level 70.

Grinding really isnt neccessary honestly. Well except mayve for JP. I have found skills and equipment far more important than player level in this game

Grinding really isnt neccessary honestly. Well except mayve for JP. I have found skills and equipment far more important than player level in this game
I want to skip all the side stuff in Chapter 5 and 6 so I figured this was probably the best way to do it. On top of that the few bosses I tried (one of the dragons, Holly/Barras, and the Fire Temple boss) all destroyed me pretty easily.

My problem with the Barras fight was the invigorate move he does at the end. If it didn't kill my party I wasn't fast enough to get off a healing spell so I had to withstand two of them in a row. I couldn't do it and honestly it just felt like a cheap difficulty spike.

Springy

I was getting frustrated changing up my job strategy for every battle in Chapter 5, so I went ahead and set up my Black Mage into a BP generator as laid out in this USgamer article.

On top of that, I have a Spiritmaster/White Mage protecting against magic and elemental damage, a Templar/Knight spamming rampart and a Pirate/Swordmaster as a damage dealer. Apart from the monotony of having to set out a long list of similar commands every turn, its letting me breeze through all the damn side-quest boss fights in this chapter. Finishing consecutive boss battles with the Unscathed bonus is pretty dumb.

I was getting frustrated changing up my job strategy for every battle in Chapter 5, so I went ahead and set up my Black Mage into a BP generator as laid out in this USgamer article.

On top of that, I have a Spiritmaster/White Mage protecting against magic and elemental damage, a Templar/Knight spamming rampart and a Pirate/Swordmaster as a damage dealer. Apart from the monotony of having to set out a long list of similar commands every turn, its letting me breeze through all the damn side-quest boss fights in this chapter. Finishing consecutive boss battles with the Unscathed bonus is pretty dumb.

So easy to break the game it seems

Love how you can combine all of these abilities like pieces of a puzzle to come up with mountains of viable strategies.

Part of the fun of having a job system like this IMHO. Though balance is desperately needed in a few places lol.

Interesting builds?

I have a Ninja/Thief that uses Utsusemi/Transience and Godspeed Strike stacked with AGI gear

A Swordmaster/Valkyrie with Counter Amp and acrobatics (Might try giving some provoke skills though)

A Pirate/Ninja with Transience and uses Torrent.

And Agnes just has Sage Staff and Blessing shield with MND gear. I've just been putting her in whatever mage job i want since her gear does all the work. The MND gear and Healing Lore makes her do a full heal for the party every turn and the Item spells count towards her Staff special which I have set up as a full heal with 2 BP recovery.

Basically am trucking though everything and I just changed Agnes to Spirit Master.... According to the thread I dont anticipate have any problems destroying the rest of the game

demidar

I'm surprised it doesn't have Enigma + spam Dark Nebula with Adversity/Buff Amp.

Got lucky and found an elixir Mamon when I updated data this morning. Looks like I may take some time off to grind JP in Chapter 4.

Was really surprised how easy
Kaziizumi
was compared to, say,
Qada
. Considering turning battles off for the rest of the game with grinding breaks. Feel like I won't really be losing any time and the dungeons will be slightly less tedious.

Maybe fight a few battles in every area to fill in enemy list.

Jawmuncher

That link is now bookmarked thanks

Love how you can combine all of these abilities like pieces of a puzzle to come up with mountains of viable strategies.

Part of the fun of having a job system like this IMHO. Though balance is desperately needed in a few places lol.

Interesting builds?

I have a Ninja/Thief that uses Utsusemi/Transience and Godspeed Strike stacked with AGI gear

A Swordmaster/Valkyrie with Counter Amp and acrobatics (Might try giving some provoke skills though)

A Pirate/Ninja with Transience and uses Torrent.

And Agnes just has Sage Staff and Blessing shield with MND gear. I've just been putting her in whatever mage job i want since her gear does all the work. The MND gear and Healing Lore makes her do a full heal for the party every turn and the Item spells count towards her Staff special which I have set up as a full heal with 2 BP recovery.

Basically am trucking though everything and I just changed Agnes to Spirit Master.... According to the thread I dont anticipate have any problems destroying the rest of the game

Just wanted to say your tip earlier helped out greatly.
Looks like I just needed to change things up. Now when I need to switch i'll take into account the guide posted above and I should be all set.

Springy

Oh, absolutely, it's my favorite part of the game. Reading down the list of effects and statuses caused by various skills and support abilities and trying to figure out how to combine them to dramatic effect is so much fun. I'd even say it doesn't need balancing, it should be a reward for those willing to tinker with the system so thoroughly. Like that BP trick I linked to, I found that out by myself quite by accident and spent about an hour figuring out how to set it up.

Oh, absolutely, it's my favorite part of the game. Reading down the list of effects and statuses caused by various skills and support abilities and trying to figure out how to combine them to dramatic effect is so much fun. I'd even say it doesn't need balancing, it should be a reward for those willing to tinker with the system so absolutely. Like that BP trick I linked to, I found that out by myself quite by accident and spent about an hour figuring out how to set it up.

I find BP recovery has been a good enough skill. Lots of enemies use status attacks and 2 BP per hit for a 1 point skill is a no brainer.

Combine that with Sing skills and the 2 BP special and Ive had plenty throughout so far. Still only in Ch4 though and it looks like the last set of classes has some ridiculous stuff to work with.

So I just beat the game.

I get the feeling they were trying to pull an Earthbound with the ending, with the myriad of friend worlds showing up to save the day, but since I never registered anybody all I got were bots.

So this whole time Tiz was being kept alive by Airy's sister? Or is it like Panzer Dragoon Saga where he's being kept alive by the player?

The Secret Ending was pretty cool, and I liked how it was completely told through Tiz's viewpoint. Magnolia already seems like a really cool character.

Now that I think about it, isn't Ringabel supposed to be a sort of unique character in the multiple worlds, in that he only shows up when Alternis watches Airy slaughter the party and then he plunges into the Light Pillar? Why is he showing up in all the alternate universes?

For that matter, the ending implies that Ringabel travels back in time to save his world's Edea, but how does that work? If he traveled back in time then killing Airy there would make the game just not happen.

(true ending spoilers)

Yes, I think Airy's sister was what was keeping Tiz from being in a coma for most of the game. She basically became his life-force after the chasm incident, and after she left, Tiz fainted and fell into a coma (to be seen later in the post-game sequel teaser movie.)

Yeah, Magnolia seems pretty great - can't wait to see more of the sequel. :) I wonder how much time has passed since the first game.

Well, in an infinite world/multi-verse scenario, I'm sure Alternis fell into the the holy pillar an infinite number of times, so I don't think Ringabel is really unique in the sense that it never happens anywhere else. *shrug* The more confusing thing is what you mentioned next - did Ringabel time travel (somehow?) to when Airy was going to kill his friends and save them? I honestly wish they hadn't used that scene because it just complicates things further. If he does save them, then the game would have never happened like you said, lol. Besides, I want to believe that Ringabel stayed with the group that saved the worlds anyways. And the game made it seem like they had one chance to choose the world they *all* wanted to go - I don't think they got individual choices (either they stayed in the World 6 or everyone chose a previous world to go back to). I mean, that's the impression I got from the Sage before they left. I dunno.. like I said, that scene really makes no sense to me.

I have a dumb question but I can't for the life of me figure out how to compound items. I have a salve maker at level 9 but cant figure it out.

Meier

Just cleared the 4th crystal. Bummer about their being some sort of lengthy-sounding side quest for the vampire job especially since it's a PITA to get to the castle.

Anyway, I have 250k now. If I ever want to buy the shirts and the exp egg (let alone the litany of expensive weapons), is there any scenario where I can get a decent amount of money without dropping 200k on the Pg egg? Is it recommended to just bite the bullet ASAP?

I was a little disappointed when I finished rebuilding Norende!

Ironjam

I've heard and noticed this too (at least in the UK). Does anyone with more experience in video game availability have an idea of the chances that this game will become easier to obtain in the future? I wanted to wait until the game hits £30-£25, but it seems at minimum £35 and in most places £40 now due to the low stock. Are Nintendo gonna make more copies (do they usually?), or should I just take the plunge at £35 in case this becomes a mini-Xenoblade situation? Thanks in advance.

Im in EU (Hungary) and the game hasnt been available in my country since it sold out on day1. There were many ppl from Germany/France saying the same thing. UK is likely in the best situation stockwise in EU for better or worse...

I've killed a handful of Mammon's. What do you mean with Elixer? Is that like an item that she sometimes has that you can steal or something?

Some level 25 Mamons have an elixir that you can steal from them. It sells for 25k pg. If you steal the item and run, you can rinse and repeat for infinite money.

I've heard that only Japanese Mamons can have the elixir. Not sure if that's true or not, but mine does happen to be Japanese.

Meier

Some level 25 Mamons have an elixir that you can steal from them. It sells for 25k pg. If you steal the item and run, you can rinse and repeat for infinite money.

I've heard that only Japanese Mamons can have the elixir. Not sure if that's true or not, but mine does happen to be Japanese.

Huh, good to know! That could be the answer to my question that I posted before about if I have to buy the Golden Egg basically.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Chapter 6 Spoilers: Tiz Related. Help me out.
When you first start Chapter 6, it's revealed that Til, not Tiz is the boy in this world. Do you ever find or interact with him at all throughout this world? Through the side quests maybe? That would definitely be something really cool.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
When you first start Chapter 6, it's revealed that Til, not Tiz is the boy in this world. Do you ever find or interact with him at all throughout this world? Through the side quests maybe? That would definitely be something really cool.
No

Tripon

To get the first ending, break a crystal at any point by pressing X repeatedly after Airy tells you to stop at any point from chapter 5 through chapter 8. After you finish that, it will take you back to the point before you broke the crystal, and you can continue as normal. To get the other one, just continue as you normally would.

Vampire you can get now. Conjurer is in Chapter 6.

lol yeah I was disappointed too honestly.

Thanks. Hmm, I'll probably wait until chapter 8 to get both endings then.

SaiyanRaoh

So I haven't had time to play the game besides leaving my 3DS on to rebiild Norende everyday to the point that I have maxed everything out .....and I'm only about 4-5 hours into the game. I didn't just completely throw the entire game off balance did I?

So I haven't had time to play the game besides leaving my 3DS on to rebiild Norende everyday to the point that I have maxed everything out .....and I'm only about 4-5 hours into the game. I didn't just completely throw the entire game off balance did I?
Nah. You won't have the money to go crazy on the good stuff for a while. And none of it is gamebreaking or anything.

Chapter 6 side quest spoilers:
Yeah you do, you find/interact with Til through a sidequest for Sage Yulyana

Top Bottom