• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Loco4Coco

Just finished the final boss. My goodness that took forever, also good thing I apparently had a item equipped that nullified death.

So since I finished rebuilding Norende a few days ago, I think I found my new "leave the game running to progress" habit: Big Pharm exploitation. Not even 2 hours and I'm at almost 700k!

.... Did I mention I haven't even restored the Wind Crystal yet? Honestly, I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of myself for putting so much effort in enjoying the game while not enjoying it.

Fbh

I'm just a bit after the Fire Crystal.

So far I'm liking the Pirate/Swordmaster combo;
. Provoke (pirate) for enemies to hit you and take adavantage of the counters from the sword master (his LV1 skill is quite good, great for taking and dealing good damage).

For grinding I'm using a Red Mage With Summoning plus another character with the protect ally support skill.
Get the mage to critical HP and then use his support skill to get free HP and spam summons. The character with protect ally is there in case someone wants to attack the red mage.
It's useless against enemies that tend to use attacks that hit the whole party, but in areas with monsters that focus on single target skills it's great. Most stuff dies after 4 summon attacks in a row, specially when several enemies tend to have the same elemental weakness in a specific area

PS: no story spoiler. Just put those there in case someone doesn't want to know about job skills.

Totakeke

I'm just a bit after the Fire Crystal.

So far I'm liking the Pirate/Swordmaster combo;
. Provoke (pirate) for enemies to hit you and take adavantage of the counters from the sword master (his LV1 skill is quite good, great for taking and dealing good damage).

Swordmaster + Kairai (sp?) from Ninja is the way to go really if you want to do that. I've been sticking with it from chapter 4 to chapter 5 for random encounters. Nothing beats 100%.

Korosenai

So, I have a couple questions. Also, try to answer them as spoiler free as possible please, just answer yes or no if you can.

When will I be able to destroy a crystal, and when should I do it? Should I create a second save for when I do destroy a crystal? I tried to destroy the fire crystal this chapter, and Airy kept asking what was wrong with me, but after two minutes of pressing x nothing happened. So my final question is, will I know when I desteoy a crystal? Will it shatter and then trigger a cutscene?

KHlover

Banned
So, I have a couple questions. Also, try to answer them as spoiler free as possible please, just answer yes or no if you can.

When will I be able to destroy a crystal, and when should I do it? Should I create a second save for when I do destroy a crystal? I tried to destroy the fire crystal this chapter, and Airy kept asking what was wrong with me, but after two minutes of pressing x nothing happened. So my final question is, will I know when I desteoy a crystal? Will it shatter and then trigger a cutscene?
Ye5
No
Yes
Yes

Gotta mash HARD

Korosenai

Ye5
No
Yes
Yes

Gotta mash HARD
Regarding chapters..
I know there are at least 8 chapters. At the latest, whicj chapter should I do it? And should I save doing it for the last of the four crystals, copying my save file right before I awaken the final crystal?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Regarding chapters..
I know there are at least 8 chapters. At the latest, whicj chapter should I do it? And should I save doing it for the last of the four crystals, copying my save file right before I awaken the final crystal?

You don't need to make another save file. Once you finish the other ending, it'll let you save and take you back to before you broke the crystal, and you can get the true ending. It doesn't really matter when you do it. I did it on the last crystal in chapter 8, so you have until then.

Question regarding a certain side-quest in Chapter 3:

How exactly do you trigger this "Owen's Memento" side-quest? I've already seen the scene where the Innkeep is lying in a bed.

So I just arrived at the dreaded Chapter 5... hoo boy.

Question -
Is there any point in fighting all the bosses and sub-quest bosses again, or can I just go straight to releasing all the crystals without worrying about all that superfluous crap?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Question -
Is there any point in fighting all the bosses and sub-quest bosses again, or can I just go straight to releasing all the crystals without worrying about all that superfluous crap?
You sure can, if you want to skip any potential fun scenes.

FryHole

Question -

Annoyingly, they vary in their quality.
I'd recommend fighting the first few sub-quest bosses in chapter 5 just to get a sense of the character's puzzlement over small changes in this world, then skip the rest. I think not getting burned out on chapter 5 is crucial to enjoying the later game.

You have to fight the crystal bosses, though.

Annoyingly, they vary in their quality.
I'd recommend fighting the first few sub-quest bosses in chapter 5 just to get a sense of the character's puzzlement over small changes in this world, then skip the rest. I think not getting burned out on chapter 5 is crucial to enjoying the later game.

You have to fight the crystal bosses, though.

Thanks man, will do.

I love how freaking broken this game is. Like, just let me have fun video games. Bravely Default gets it.

Yup. People always say, "Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy VIII are so broken, though!" But by the time you've figured out how to start breaking the game and become a godly Time Mage Arithmetician, it's like a reward at that point.

Yup. People always say, "Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy VIII are so broken, though!" But by the time you've figured out how to start breaking the game and become a godly Time Mage Arithmetician, it's like a reward at that point.

Its why I love job system games

Wouldn't mind them taking these features into account when designing end game content though.

I've calculated that I can gain ~3,200pg per minute with my current setup, which means ~193,000pg per hour(?). My god, I feel like that's worth it right now, but it's totally screwing my play time. I have 36 hours and am still in the same spot. Meh... If it means I can get all the big weapons and feel free to play with job setups, then whatever...

I'm praying for an Elixr Mammon, though. It'd be even faster! Anyone know if the Salesperson ability doubles the 25k to 50k? That, plus double steal on a thief, would be a solid way to maximize profit. My Tiz and Ringabel would be making it rain pg!

Yes, I'm crazy. What of it?

Tripon

Speaking of Mamon. I found out that one of the their ability allows you to steal two Elixers at the same time. I spent 15 minutes to make 100,000pg.

KHlover

Banned
Speaking of Mamon. I found out that one of the their ability allows you to steal two Elixers at the same time. I spent 15 minutes to make 100,000pg.
Oh man, by Chapter 6 you can make that in about 5-8 battles or just about 3 minutes of killing regular enemies XD

Grinding becomes so easy in that Chapter...

webrunner

An interesting thing (spoilers chapter 5)
if ARE re-doing the boss fights and do the Time Mage/Spell Fencer boss fight first, he's no longer there when you go to do Merchant or Thief.. which makes sense but it's a nice touch

Also a question about chapter 5
Does Egil actually show up? It's mentioned nobody controls the mines at this moment but I haven't been able to find where he is

Niraj

An interesting thing (spoilers chapter 5)
if ARE re-doing the boss fights and do the Time Mage/Spell Fencer boss fight first, he's no longer there when you go to do Merchant or Thief.. which makes sense but it's a nice touch

Also a question about chapter 5
Does Egil actually show up? It's mentioned nobody controls the mines at this moment but I haven't been able to find where he is

To the first, yup, made sure to do that myself.

No to the second.

Meier

Oh man, by Chapter 6 you can make that in about 5-8 battles or just about 3 minutes of killing regular enemies XD

Grinding becomes so easy in that Chapter...

That's good to hear. I am not interested in cheesing the Big Pharma thing or anything like that so it'll be nice to have a chance to buy some of those high money items a little easier. I did buy the Golden Egg which was of course a significant chunk of change for me at the end of Chapter 4.

Meier

What the effff! In Chapter 5 fighting my first bosses again (Holly and Barras). Kill off Holly after awhile then get Barras down to 8k and he somehow did some attack that wiped my entire party out despite being at or around 3000 HP each. Fucking hell! :( I had set my DS down for a second so I don't even know what to look for next time.. lol.

What the effff! In Chapter 5 fighting my first bosses again (Holly and Barras). Kill off Holly after awhile then get Barras down to 8k and he somehow did some attack that wiped my entire party out despite being at or around 3000 HP each. Fucking hell! :( I had set my DS down for a second so I don't even know what to look for next time.. lol.

I think I had that with a nemesis fight I went into. (Foolishly so, a level 20 party has no chance against Lv 99s... -__-)

Barras has this attack that seems a lot like explosion/self-destruct in Pokemon. Massive damage to everything on screen.

You're right. I must have missed a zero. 1,000,000 pg.

O_O Well okay, then....

Niraj

It's Invigorate. Normally when you use it it has a chance to damage you, but when his HP is critically low it'll always fail for him, and will damage everybody. It's physical, so you can do stuff like rampart, p def buffs, attack debuffs, utsusemi, etc to partially block or negate it. At that point though you should go all out on him to finish him off.

Also your post is kind of spoiler-filled.

Finally moved into Chapter 4 at lunch; haven't had much opportunity to play the last few days.

Wiped on the ice golem. Time Mage be-bopped me to the beginning of the fight and I barely managed to scrape by. Game doesn't seem to be fucking around right now, although my job setup was a joke.

Loco4Coco

I just skipped that match. I was getting frustrated myself.

Maedhros

Look who's here :D

URpVbRc.jpg

Will start next month, though. Have to finish LoS2 first.

EDIT: Yeah, the box is pretty damaged... :(

SeZMehK

I should really get back into this game. I am currently trying for the
second crystal
. I've been so busy, plus playing pokemon y in my spare time that I don't get time for this. I maxed out Norende already so I just need to make money and level up.

Espada

I'm in Chapter 5 and I only have the
Earth Crystal
left. I've been doing the sidequests up to this point, but I have a question:

Is it worth it to
rematch DeRosso?
I really don't want to fight all those irritating dragons and the rest of that hassle. Do you get anything good? Does avoiding it screw up some later chapter or sidequest?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So I have a question for anyone who has beaten the Japanese version 'For The Sequel' even though the changes of those people hanging around in this thread are slim I guess.

I beat the original version and actually have had FTS sitting here for a few months but haven't had the urge to play it again just yet. I just realized something though and it's really bugging me so I must know...

How do they handle the post-game
subtitle change on the title screen
in FTS...?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm in Chapter 5 and I only have the
Earth Crystal
left. I've been doing the sidequests up to this point, but I have a question:

Is it worth it to
rematch DeRosso?
I really don't want to fight all those irritating dragons and the rest of that hassle. Do you get anything good? Does avoiding it screw up some later chapter or sidequest?
You can skip the dragons and fight him still. Dragons are optional to fight.

Korosenai

Guys, is it weird that I loved chapter 5 and that im really enjoying chapter 6 so far? Im even doing all the sub plots/side quests. I remember seeing people in this thread complain about these chapters, but theyre actually a lot of fun.

Guys, is it weird that I loved chapter 5 and that im really enjoying chapter 6 so far? Im even doing all the sub plots/side quests. I remember seeing people in this thread complain about these chapters, but theyre actually a lot of fun.

You don't find them extremely repetitive going back to the crystals and fighting the same bosses over and over and over and over for 4 chapters? And Chapters 5 and 6 sidequests really do not change all that much unfortunately - even a lot of the dialogue is the same. I wouldn't have minded them so much if I didn't have to hear the same dialogue all the time. At least Chapters 7 and 8 change things up with the sidequests and make them a bit more challenging. Make sure you do the Conjurer sidequest in Ch6 btw - it's a cool sidequest imo.

Regarding Chapter 8:
Anything worthy in the sub-quests this time? good steal-able items or anything? i kind of want to be over already...

Regarding Chapter 8:
Anything worthy in the sub-quests this time? good steal-able items or anything? i kind of want to be over already...

Not really any good stealable items. The only one who has anything is the Black Mage boss, but you probably already have what you would steal from him anyways. The other bosses in the chapter mostly have Elixirs and Turbo Ethers. Chapter 8 does provide some pretty fun fights though - they are challenging due to how you fight them (it's usually 4 bosses vs you at a time).

Top Bottom