• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Narras

Speculating on the sequel.

Anyone think that the sequel will take place in the mysterious island nation of Wa (aka Japan lol)? In the game, it's mentioned in a lot of the descriptions of equipment with most of them stating that Wa just vanished centuries ago. I'm also guessing Wa because in the bonus movie you'll see what seems to be a rift showing something like a torii gate in the window with some shadowy fish blowing up airships.

Korosenai

You don't find them extremely repetitive going back to the crystals and fighting the same bosses over and over and over and over for 4 chapters? And Chapters 5 and 6 sidequests really do not change all that much unfortunately - even a lot of the dialogue is the same. I wouldn't have minded them so much if I didn't have to hear the same dialogue all the time. At least Chapters 7 and 8 change things up with the sidequests and make them a bit more challenging. Make sure you do the Conjurer sidequest in Ch6 btw - it's a cool sidequest imo.
It's weird, because I expected to hate it, but im loving it. Feels good going back and fighting all of the bosses again with different job combinations and seeing how I do compared to before. Im also loving all of the revelations, about Ringabel being Alternis, Airy being evil. Yeah it is repetitive, but the game is so damn fun that it just doesnt bother me, because I want to play this game as much as I can, and I love all of the characters as well, so it's nice seeing them all again as well.

Im also on the Conjurer side quest now, just started it.

Not really any good stealable items. The only one who has anything is the Black Mage boss, but you probably already have what you would steal from him anyways. The other bosses in the chapter mostly have Elixirs and Turbo Ethers. Chapter 8 does provide some pretty fun fights though - they are challenging due to how you fight them (it's usually 4 bosses vs you at a time).

Wow, well that seems pretty intense. I'll guess i'll go for it then...

Also i think you know this; could you please tell me the requisites to "unlock" each ending of the game?

It's weird, because I expected to hate it, but im loving it. Feels good going back and fighting all of the bosses again with different job combinations and seeing how I do compared to before. Im also loving all of the revelations, about Ringabel being Alternis, Airy being evil. Yeah it is repetitive, but the game is so damn fun that it just doesnt bother me, because I want to play this game as much as I can, and I love all of the characters as well, so it's nice seeing them all again as well.

Im also on the Conjurer side quest now, just started it.

Don't get me wrong, I was still having fun with the game during those chapters mainly because I liked the battle/job system, but I was pretty happy it was over when I got the true ending. But then the next day, I missed playing the game, lol. D:

Wow, well that seems pretty intense. I'll guess i'll go for it then...

Also i think you know this; could you please tell me the requisites to "unlock" each ending of the game?

To unlock the "first/fake" (I call it fake because it isn't the true ending), in Chapter 6, after re-awakening 3 crystals and meet up with the Sage and progress the story there, you can get the first ending. On the 4th crystal in chapter 6, keep praying to the crystal after Airy tells you to stop. Just keep mashing that button fast and it'll trigger the "Final Chapter" and the first ending scenario.

After you beat the game that way and see the ending/credits, it'll put you back at the crystal before you reawakened it (you have to fight the boss again unfortunately iirc). Just keep reawakening crystals in Chapter 6, 7, and 8. After doing all 4 crystals in Chapter 8, the True Final Chapter will start and you just continue from there.

Technically, you can get the first ending sooner than I said, but I think it makes much more sense to do it after you talk to the sage in Chapter 6. It can be done in any of the chapters from 5-8.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Guys, is it weird that I loved chapter 5 and that im really enjoying chapter 6 so far? Im even doing all the sub plots/side quests. I remember seeing people in this thread complain about these chapters, but theyre actually a lot of fun.

I was fine with it too honestly lol

Tripon

http://tinycartridge.com/post/77975749870/the-konami-code-works-with-bravely-default-want

Spoilered because it details with end game content. But hey, nice Easter egg. Obviously don't read, or click the link if you don't want to be spoiled.
Want to watch that special movie in Bravely Default that teases the JRPG’s sequel? It’s supposed to unlock once you’ve completed the 3DS game, but you can load the clip whenever you want by just entering the Konami code (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A) at the main menu! It has really become fashionaaabluh to stick this code in everything.

Don't get me wrong, I was still having fun with the game during those chapters mainly because I liked the battle/job system, but I was pretty happy it was over when I got the true ending. But then the next day, I missed playing the game, lol. D:

To unlock the "first/fake" (I call it fake because it isn't the true ending), in Chapter 6, after re-awakening 3 crystals and meet up with the Sage and progress the story there, you can get the first ending. On the 4th crystal in chapter 6, keep praying to the crystal after Airy tells you to stop. Just keep mashing that button fast and it'll trigger the "Final Chapter" and the first ending scenario.

After you beat the game that way and see the ending/credits, it'll put you back at the crystal before you reawakened it (you have to fight the boss again unfortunately iirc). Just keep reawakening crystals in Chapter 6, 7, and 8. After doing all 4 crystals in Chapter 8, the True Final Chapter will start and you just continue from there.

Technically, you can get the first ending sooner than I said, but I think it makes much more sense to do it after you talk to the sage in Chapter 6. It can be done in any of the chapters from 5-8.

Thank you very much :D

By the way, are the 2 endings different enough from each other? or one kind of "spoils" the other? I'm on Chapter 8 and i don't know if i should go with the fake one and then the real one, or just go with the real and be done with it...

By the way, are the 2 endings different enough from each other? or one kind of "spoils" the other? I'm on Chapter 8 and i don't know if i should go with the fake one and then the real one, or just go with the real and be done with it...

Hmm,
the fake ending spoils something related to the plot, but since you're in Chapter 8, you'd find out as soon as you finish the final crystal anyways. And it's probably something you have already predicted based on what the characters have said. It takes you to the same final dungeon which you have to go to again in the true final chapter. I'd still do both endings personally because they are different scenarios. But you wouldn't really miss much if you just did the true ending imo.

Tripon

Just beat the
Vampire
subquest in Chapter 5.

I skipped this sidequest in Chapter 4 because the dragons were really annoying. This might have been my favorite sidequest yet as it told a bunch of the back story and sets up what a bitch Airy really is. Man, if I get to fight her, I can't wait to rip her head off.

Korosenai

I'm currently doing the Conjurer side quest, and I saved my game and quit because i'm getting off for the night.... and holy shit at the title screen! That is seriously awesome how they blurred out letters in the title to display "Airy Lies".... this game is amazing.

You don't need to make another save file. Once you finish the other ending, it'll let you save and take you back to before you broke the crystal, and you can get the true ending. It doesn't really matter when you do it. I did it on the last crystal in chapter 8, so you have until then.

Kind of late to this.... I'm really tempted to do it this chapter.
It seems like with what's happening story wise, with every character telling me to think outside the box, that the game really wants me to do it now lol. But i'll probably wait til Chapter 8 to do it like you did.

I don't want this game to end :( It's just so perfect.

I was fine with it too honestly lol
Glad to see someone else like me :p

Espada

I just reached chapter 6. Hopefully this repetition thing wraps up soon because it's getting a little stale. Has anyone found any nice ability combinations? I've found that having my healer as a Salve-Maker with White Mage is a nice pairing. Healing Lore (Salve-Maker specialty) makes Cura heal a ton of HP, and combined with Epic Group-cast I can top out the entire party with just one mid-level spell. The other two slots I just put Angelic Ward (incredible ability, damn near broken) and some other thing.

What I'm torn on is a good melee pairing. The best I've found is Hunting+Sword Magic. Burns through my MP quick but the weakness exploitation is crazy. Anyone have something better?

FryHole

I think they complement each other, the game tries to push you towards the fake one so you're obviously supposed to see it and it's more satisfying in certain ways (
the oft-maligned way the characters seem to return to obliviousness during the approach to the true ending isn't a problem with the fake, the story scenes 'fit' better
). The true ending itself has more going on in terms of lore and cut scenes.

Ken

I just reached chapter 6. Hopefully this repetition thing wraps up soon because it's getting a little stale. Has anyone found any nice ability combinations? I've found that having my healer as a Salve-Maker with White Mage is a nice pairing. Healing Lore (Salve-Maker specialty) makes Cura heal a ton of HP, and combined with Epic Group-cast I can top out the entire party with just one mid-level spell. The other two slots I just put Angelic Ward (incredible ability, damn near broken) and some other thing.

What I'm torn on is a good melee pairing. The best I've found is Hunting+Sword Magic. Burns through my MP quick but the weakness exploitation is crazy. Anyone have something better?

vampire + time mage = support with time magic and heal with white wind

Feep

Banned
Why is pirate sucking so bad (compared to Valkyrie and Hunter)? The physical attack is through the roof with an axe, but the attacks are well below Hunter's regular attack. I think it's because he's hitting "fewer" times per attack? Can I boost Aim somehow?

I dunno.

Ken

Why is pirate sucking so bad (compared to Valkyrie and Hunter)? The physical attack is through the roof with an axe, but the attacks are well below Hunter's regular attack. I think it's because he's hitting "fewer" times per attack? Can I boost Aim somehow?

I dunno.

it's just fewer bigger hits vs many smaller hits I think!

i didn't really enjoy pirate outside of free lunch + amped strike cheese. hunters have an ability that raises accuracy iirc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
http://tinycartridge.com/post/77975749870/the-konami-code-works-with-bravely-default-want

Spoilered because it details with end game content. But hey, nice Easter egg. Obviously don't read, or click the link if you don't want to be spoiled.
Took me a few attempts, but holy crap it worked! I might wait on watching it, though, since I only just reached Ancheim in Chapter 1 (at least my village is completely rebuilt). Still, amazing to think they snuck the Konami code in.

duckroll

Beat the game and saw the "normal" ending today. Story's dumb all the way to the end , but goddamn the gameplay is soooooo good, especially towards the end when you open up areas with enemies dropping 200-400+ JP per battle. I love the late game job classes too. Really nice abilities and synergy options. Definitely one of the best job systems in FF history. Going around the world collecting enemy skills was really fun too.

I'm not exactly super excited about going through all the repetitive content for the "true" ending, but I think I'll manage it if I approach it like a long recycled DLC expansion. In a way, it feels like a sort of NG+, with harder versions of the same fights, using the same content from the rest of the game over and over, etc. But the game is really fun and if it allows me to master more jobs and discover new party combinations and strategies it should be fine.

I dunno.

You need to focus pirates on hard hitting specials.

Two hand a Foxtail, stack strength gear and abilities

Give him acrobatics and spam judgment

Then transition to free-lunch and amped strike

duckroll

Against enemies and bosses with weaknesses using Pirate skills with Sword Magic is pretty great too. You do additional elemetal damage hitting the weakness while also softening the enemy up by lowering its defense/attack/speed etc.

Ooh, that sounds awesome. Is Dual Wield a must have on any melee fighter? It really seems like it is, the damage output is ridiculous.

My problem with physical attacks is that they are really hard to get consistent damage.

I built my Ninja with Frenetic Fighting, Hawkeye and Katana lore

Equipped the balck belt hoping I could stack hits and criticals.

Even with the bonuses he just doesn't put up enough damage. Using 1BP to get Ikkasei going just makes things worse compared to Free Lunch >> Amped Srike.

I dunno I need to mix and match equipment more.

I get sad that most of my friends don't update their characters regularly. I like pulling them out for when I'm bored of a fight. *chuckles*

Top performer on my list though... Niraj. Gawddamn those numbers.
I'd say lets be friends, but I don't really play the game much any more aside from regular Norende duties.
Yeah, I have a feeling I'm stuck in that middle part where either people have blown past me and don't play it as much or they never played that much to begin with. (Currently 40 after finding
Egil
) Not uncommon for how I play a lot of my games. Thanks though. :)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I get sad that most of my friends don't update their characters regularly. I like pulling them out for when I'm bored of a fight. *chuckles*

I'd say lets be friends, but I don't really play the game much any more aside from regular Norende duties.

Niraj

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm stuck in that middle part where either people have blown past me and don't play it as much or they never played that much to begin with. (Currently 40 after finding
Egil
) Not uncommon for how I play a lot of my games. Thanks though. :)

If you use it and need me to resend an attack, let me know. I haven't played since I finished it. I could do a lot better, used speculate so it only has a 50% chance to work :/

Took out
Victor and Victoria
this morning.

Less of a hassle than I expected, considering how swiftly I was pummeled in the first encounter. Purposefully didn't bring poison resist so I could get free BP for getting poisoned and then clear it before the follow-up attack.

Walked to Vampire Castle on accident first because I wasn't paying attention when they explained the routes thing. Then ran down the middle raod for grins because apparently the game is easy now.

I discovered that I missed the place where you buy lvl 4 black magic, but I have lvl 4 white magic.

Tripon

Took out
Victor and Victoria
this morning.

Less of a hassle than I expected, considering how swiftly I was pummeled in the first encounter. Purposefully didn't bring poison resist so I could get free BP for getting poisoned and then clear it before the follow-up attack.

Walked to Vampire Castle on accident first because I wasn't paying attention when they explained the routes thing. Then ran down the middle raod for grins because apparently the game is easy now.

I discovered that I missed the place where you buy lvl 4 black magic, but I have lvl 4 white magic.

If you're in Chapter 5 and beyond, your airship has access to all magic spells for you to buy outside of summon spells. So you can get Level 1-6 of White, Black, and Time magic now.

LX_Theo

Banned
So I'm at the tail end of the 1st chapter and am 8 hours in (finishing up the sidequest for the region). I'm liking the game a lot.

A bit disappointed about how quickly the jobs are coming. Mixing and matching the skills from various jobs to make a unique strategy in the demo was what got me interested enough to buy it.

I do have a quick question, though. What is the job level cap for the actual game? Thanks any who answer.

If you're in Chapter 5 and beyond, your airship has access to all magic spells for you to buy outside of summon spells. So you can get Level 1-6 of White, Black, and Time magic now.

Only in Chapter 4 now, but that's good. Not sure where I'm at on Time Magic but wouldn't be surprised to find I missed some of that as well. Really only mess with Slow(ga) and Haste so I haven't really been missing any spells I don't have, unless I should have Hastega.

Lexxism

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding stats. Do each job class in this game give a bonus stat to the player? And if they switch to another job, will it carry over to the next class? Also, Is this comparable with FF tactics or not when it comes to stats?

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding stats. Do each job class in this game give a bonus stat to the player? And if they switch to another job, will it carry over to the next class? Also, Is this comparable with FF tactics or not when it comes to stats?

Each job class has stat modifiers that only stay with you if don't switch classes, iirc having a higher job level raises these modifiers (not sure, but I know magic damage increases with job level)

Hey guys,

Every Job has its own "stats" and the various jobs do not affect each other except that you can equip up to 5 abilities that have been unlocked from the various jobs. You might for example have a black mage, red mage and summoner abilitiy on a character to increase their magic attacks, increase their magic damage and damage they take refils their mana, for example

Lexxism

Ah, so all of those stats(bonus if there are) are pretty much stuck on that job class and will not carry over to the next one. I see. Thanks for answering.

Chapter 8 subquest.

so i'm in one of the duchy's endgame fights, against ominas, yulyana, qada and mephilia, and im being wiped out u.u
any tips? I was thinking in abate fire for all 4, flame charm, etc. I beat all the previous ch 8 fights with a dark knight/monk (phoenix flight-minus strike combo) knight (surprised at how much they can tank) , a time mage/ white mage (hastega, reraise, etc) and a white mage/performer (main healer- accelerator)

i was thinking maybe an spiritmaster with enigma? But then the bp use conflicts me... And i don't quite get the hang of hasten world...

So, i'm interested in hearing the experience from the ones who were able to achieve victory here...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Chapter 8 subquest.

so i'm in one of the duchy's endgame fights, against ominas, yulyana, qada and mephilia, and im being wiped out u.u
any tips? I was thinking in abate fire for all 4, flame charm, etc. I beat all the previous ch 8 fights with a dark knight/monk (phoenix flight-minus strike combo) knight (surprised at how much they can tank) , a time mage/ white mage (hastega, reraise, etc) and a white mage/performer (main healer- accelerator)

i was thinking maybe an spiritmaster with enigma? But then the bp use conflicts me... And i don't quite get the hang of hasten world...

So, i'm interested in hearing the experience from the ones who were able to achieve victory here...
All ninjas. All jumping. All iceflame shielding. One Haste worlding.

I could use some help with the
Rusalka
boss. What's the best way to take it down? Which classes and strategy is most useful? And I've heard that it's possible to kill it before it even does the seep attack.

Mashing

Just finished Vampire Castle in chapter 4. Probably my favorite part of the game thusfar. The backstory and revelations in this sidequest (why is this a side quest anyway? It's crucial IMO) was great.

Niraj

Chapter 8 subquest.

I used 4 ninjas, the slowest one with spiritualism. Hasten world too. Stillness and saved bp up. Attack with everyone, stillness for the last move. Repeat. 3 pirates and a spiritmaster also worked for me. Just need to make sure the spiritmaster is slower than your pirates but faster than the enemies. Free lunch+3x amped strikes on the attack turns. First setup is easier, second is quicker.

Meier

Just finished Vampire Castle in chapter 4. Probably my favorite part of the game thusfar. The backstory and revelations in this sidequest (why is this a side quest anyway? It's crucial IMO) was great.

Were the 6 numbers or whatever you need to get easy to find? I haven't pursued that quest yet.

I could use some help with the
Rusalka
boss. What's the best way to take it down? Which classes and strategy is most useful? And I've heard that it's possible to kill it before it even does the seep attack.
I used
Water Abate; Water Charm accessories; Spirit Guard, whose damage doesn't "roll over" if the damage is larger than the MP hit can sustain; and everyone Defaulting during the attack. I also had a lot of those Lightning consumables from Norende, which I spammed when adds spawn.
I didn't bother with Shell because setting that up takes too much time and needs to be recast if you're K.O.ed. Turns are better spent on attacks.

Utsusemi.
I don't think Ninja is available at that point in the game. I just beat Chapter 2 last night though, so I may not have unlocked it yet.

Zephyrus

Banned
Beat the game and saw the "normal" ending today. Story's dumb all the way to the end , but goddamn the gameplay is soooooo good, especially towards the end when you open up areas with enemies dropping 200-400+ JP per battle. I love the late game job classes too. Really nice abilities and synergy options. Definitely one of the best job systems in FF history. Going around the world collecting enemy skills was really fun too.

I'm not exactly super excited about going through all the repetitive content for the "true" ending, but I think I'll manage it if I approach it like a long recycled DLC expansion. In a way, it feels like a sort of NG+, with harder versions of the same fights, using the same content from the rest of the game over and over, etc. But the game is really fun and if it allows me to master more jobs and discover new party combinations and strategies it should be fine.

the true ending is worth it simply because how awesome the last boss fight is. Definately the highlight of the game for me

Mashing

Were the 6 numbers or whatever you need to get easy to find? I haven't pursued that quest yet.

It's not exactly clear from his description, but I will say this. The guardians themselves do not appear on the world map, but I'm sure you've seen them on the world map at some point.

Or read below:
The obelisk looking things you've seen on the world map are their trigger points. Walk up to them and press A. There is an obelisk in each region (counting the yuluana woods as a seperate region) and well as a island NE of the woods.

Mashing

Is Update Data not working for anyone else? This is the first day I've had trouble with it (my wireless appears to be working fine).

Top Bottom