• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

ST2K

So I just moved on to Chapter 6...

This world reset bullshit is just getting annoying now. And I'm almost certain whatever they're doing could be compressed more, assuming I know where they're going.

Zomba13

Ok, in Chapter 8 is there any reason for me to
do the side-quests again? I did them all in Chapter 7 as that was when they moved/upgraded/group fought and that stuff was alright. Is it any different in 8 or should I just get done with the Crystal Bosses one last time?

Ok, in Chapter 8 is there any reason for me to
do the side-quests again? I did them all in Chapter 7 as that was when they moved/upgraded/group fought and that stuff was alright. Is it any different in 8 or should I just get done with the Crystal Bosses one last time?
The battles are different in 8, even more variety than 7. No story progression whatsoever, just get done with the crystal if you're not interested in Boss Rush Gauntlet

CorvoSol

So I just fought
Jackal the Bandit and his Mage Knight compatriot.
So glad I had some Friend Summons ready for that fight. Cuz Mr. "I spam potions" would've made it a tough ride otherwise. I also got lucky because
what's his bucket didn't use Silence Blade
this time.

Up until this fight Tiz and Edea were my favorites, but Tiz' lecture prior to the battle really kinda took him down a peg in the standings.

Onions is the worst, though.

Zomba13

The battles are different in 8, even more variety than 7. No story progression whatsoever, just get done with the crystal if you're not interested in Boss Rush Gauntlet

Thanks. Very quickly running out of steam with this game. After chapter 5 I played less and less each day, just checking for build times and internet friend invites. At the point I am I'm not really getting much challenge from bosses. Replenishing 4 BP every turn, doing almost 9999 damage with all attacks and Rampart and Spirit Ward negating most damage I'm just beating them for any sort of story/background info.

So is there any reason to use Steal when your Thief has the Thief's Dagger equipped?

Why do you equip Thief's Dagger on a Thief? The weapon's purpose is so that other classes can steal too, and changin equip in battle doesn't cost a turn.

CH 5 spoilers

Is there any point to beating all the asterisk bosses again?

Some backstory on chapter 5-7, 7 being the most lighthearted one. 8 being the challenge but no story because every battle is 4 vs 4

Okay, just started (seriously just 10 minutes I'm so far) and I already love the visuals. I felt a little sheepish when I first started the game up and that fairy starts chatting with you when I was sitting with a few co-workers in our break room (I had my headphones on though)

Just curious, but what are the AR cards for? I didn't have them on me, so I skipped that part.

Finally got the game and started playing, what exactly do the difficulties impact? Just monsters stats or do you get better drops on higher difficulties?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Okay, just started (seriously just 10 minutes I'm so far) and I already love the visuals. I felt a little sheepish when I first started the game up and that fairy starts chatting with you when I was sitting with a few co-workers in our break room (I had my headphones on though)

Just curious, but what are the AR cards for? I didn't have them on me, so I skipped that part.

I don't know about the other ones, but the initial cutscene was pretty cool with the AR Card. Not necessary, but the characters/backdrops pop up out of the card and around it, stuff like that.

Finally got the game and started playing, what exactly do the difficulties impact? Just monsters stats or do you get better drops on higher difficulties?

Doesn't affect drops at all. All the enemies have more 35% more HP, most stats are increased by 25% I think, aside from speed and evade. That's just a general rule, there are some exceptions I think with the non HP/Speed/Evade stats.

About 6 hours in, going through the wind temple, and I thought to myself "wow, y'know, it's great you can change the encounter rate but I kind of feel like a chump turning it down. I'm fighting a shit-ton of people though..." Realized that I had left it at +100% from fulfilling that little mini-quest requirement, at least now I'm ridiculously over-leveled...

Don't see what the big fuss is about Ringabel so far, seems like a pretty one-note dude to me

zroid

Banned
Why do you equip Thief's Dagger on a Thief? The weapon's purpose is so that other classes can steal too, and changin equip in battle doesn't cost a turn.

Still really early, it's the best dagger I've got :p

I want to know what the function of using the Thief's Dagger as an item is. Is it equivalent to a regular attack but with a steal effect? Lower/higher chance to steal? Or...?

Fbh

Swordmaster + Kairai (sp?) from Ninja is the way to go really if you want to do that. I've been sticking with it from chapter 4 to chapter 5 for random encounters. Nothing beats 100%.

Yeah I know.

But I decided to level swordmaster and pirate because the LV 14 of both jobs seem to combine very well. A very strong attack that takes half your MP with a skill that lets you use attacks for 0mp seems like a great match.

At least that's what I've been using with my pirate for now (once you get that item to double xp and jp it becomes really easy to max them out).

Oh man I wasn't expecting the orcs in the ruins to deal 100 damage a hit to my team or to have that much health lol got wiped trying to instantly end the battle with all in brave and just got rocked by the 2 that survived :X

Well with 95 hours in i finally beated the game ( with the 2 endings )

i think it was expected, all the airy shit, however i don't quite understand the route they went with tiz... From a regular boy to a "celestial holder" ? I was impressed.

Also, anyone knows what did he do on caldisla's graveyard? I suppose the sequel will go with the AR plot they showed, that somehow connects to that too...

well it was a fun ride, glorious job system, amazing artstyle and ost...

Waiting for the sequel, then...

Beat the second boss and I really am in love with this game though I realize now where SP is most useful. SP is best used on bosses when they decide to brave without warning because even though they have a turn penalty odds are they'll kill someone in their back to back turn. SP is really the only way to counter it unless you got lucky and had everyone default that turn.

Tripon

I got the Obliterate skill from the Conjurer class. I went from level 82 to 95 in about an hour. Grinding have never been so easy.

I should've completed this game before I put it at number 4 in my list for the GOTY '13 voting thread, or at the very least gotten past chapter 4. Now I wouldn't even put it in my top ten. It can't be overstated how diabolically awful and lazy the second half is. This
Groundhog Day bullshit
tramples all over what was otherwise an exemplary game.

duckroll

Beat the second boss and I really am in love with this game though I realize now where SP is most useful. SP is best used on bosses when they decide to brave without warning because even though they have a turn penalty odds are they'll kill someone in their back to back turn. SP is really the only way to counter it unless you got lucky and had everyone default that turn.

Nope. SP is best used when you want to create a new Friend Summon which does well over 9999. :)

Or when you're bored of a boss having too much HP and just want to end the battle in a single turn. :D

DaBoss

I got a Nemesis pretty much when I started the game lol. I don't think they are spoiler territory, but I've never battled a Nemesis though.

I didn't want to use any SP, but my inner completionist is saying use the SP to complete that Tutorial Quest thing. I guess I'll use it on a low level enemy or something.

Hey guys, just starting the game(Edea just joined), so I got a couple of questions:

1 - Does the Diary that ringabel gave me spoil me things in the game? I want to read it, but I dont want to spoil myself :S

2 - The chars have different stats growths? The jobs give you different stat growths? There is any difference in saying using Ringabel as a monk for like 20 levels(for example) and then changing him as a Black mage? There are chars inclined more for magic or something?

Thanks!

I should've completed this game before I put it at number 4 in my list for the GOTY '13 voting thread, or at the very least gotten past chapter 4. Now I wouldn't even put it in my top ten. It can't be overstated how diabolically awful and lazy the second half is. This
Groundhog Day bullshit
tramples all over what was otherwise an exemplary game.

I agree. That said there's still some interesting dialogues and interactions in Chapter 7 and 8 (and really intense battles too) and if you love the battle and job system, you can probably stick around just fine. (Grinding becomes really easy, you can try new combinations of jobs, etc)

I feel like 5 and 6 are totally forgettable, and the game would've been better without them.

Antoids

Banned
Chapter 4 question

How critical is it for me to
beat all the dragons before I step into the light
?

2 - The chars have different stats growths? The jobs give you different stat growths? There is any difference in saying using Ringabel as a monk for like 20 levels(for example) and then changing him as a Black mage? There are chars inclined more for magic or something?

The characters have different stat growths. The Jobs do not affect your GROWTH, but they do affect your stats right now. So a Ringabel who is a Monk is going to have higher STR than a Ringabel who is a Black Mage, but if you're a Black Mage for all 20 of those levels, the only difference is gonna be how many skills you've learned as Black Mage vs. how many as Monk.

Hey guys, just starting the game(Edea just joined), so I got a couple of questions:

1 - Does the Diary that ringabel gave me spoil me things in the game? I want to read it, but I dont want to spoil myself :S

Thanks!

1. No, the Diary doesn't really spoil as it is kind of the point of having it. They want you to read it

2. No worries about stat growths at all. The characters have predefined stats that only get modified whenever they change jobs. So if you leveled Ringabel as a Black Mage from level 1 to 99 and then switched to a Monk, his strength would be exactly the same if you leveled solely as a Monk

The characters themselves have very slight inclinations towards one stat versus another, but it really is no big deal. For the record, Tiz is the jack of all trades, Agnes is more about mind, Ringabell is speed, and Edea is strength

Chapter 4 question

How critical is it for me to
beat all the dragons before I step into the light
?

It's not critical, you can do it all later, but the longer you wait the harder all the battles get I believe. Also, the class you get for completing that quest has a skill that involves needing to battle certain enemies, 14 of which are in chapter 4 and then won't be available again until the end of the game

duckroll

It almost feels like a waste locking the damage limit removal behind the Bravely Second system. I'm dealing 9999 damage pretty regularly now and I can just feel all that extra damage being wasted, lol.

Tripon

It almost feels like a waste locking the damage limit removal behind the Bravely Second system. I'm dealing 9999 damage pretty regularly now and I can just feel all that extra damage being wasted, lol.

Its not a waste, S-E wants you to buy those SP potions!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy shit. Still working on the Water Crystal, but Haste + Godspeed strike is breaking the game in half right now. Boss fights are so easy

Zephyrus

Banned
I still can't deal 9999 damage on any character. Lvl 99 with all jobs mastered on all of them, best equips and still nothing...

What am I doing wrong?

Labadal

Played for four hours straight after having put the game away for a couple of weeks. Only one more side quest in chapter six, all but one main story mission done, too. No random encounters really helps move things along.

Despite feeling annoyed with the way they have handled the story, the gameplay is good enough to keep me going. I still like Ringabel.

Springy

Just started Ch.7 after I saw the
breaking a crystal
ending. Not liking the long-winded way they're trying to get their point across in Ch.5 and 6, definitely could have cut that down a great deal, but the combat is still great fun. I turned off XP and JP progression to keep it interesting.

Hope the pay-off from Ch.7 and 8 make it worth my while continuing.

Top Bottom