• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the game will send you back right before you broke it when you beat the fake end; don't worry

Thanks! :)

will subquests I do now still be recorded to when the game sends me back tho?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
that feel when you realize dragons do only physical damage, and you spend 10min to lvl up ninja, and now im auto battling through all them.

I just stuck with my Templar/Performer strategy since it was working well enough. Also, BP Recovery will feed you BP when they use the Eye attack.

At chapter 6, hopefully I'll get to finish the game soon.

vareon

In the middle of Chapter 6, I died, and send back to the title screen. Then I saw the title screen.

Then I grinned. So this is what JGAF has been talking about for years.

Edit: Quick question for chapter 7.

I'm at level 73 ish now. Is it viable to just plow through the game at this level? I kinda wanted to play with enc 0 now, I'm not doing those goddamn dungeons again :I bosses are fine, though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fake ending achieved.

"Final Boss" spoiler question:
Is this fight even possible without a high level Spiritmaster? Agnes' Enigma saved my ass during the last part of the boss fight.

Tripon

Fake ending achieved.

Is this fight even possible without a high level Spiritmaster? Agnes' Enigma saved my ass during the last part of the boss fight.

Yes. I just wailed at
Airy.
Healing when necessary. I was definitely over leveled though.

2San

Fake ending achieved.

I used a Time Mage+WM with Group-Cast All(BM lvl 14 passive) and used reraise a lot, in my final party.

So I'm putzing around the end of chapter 4 and decided to read D's journal for once... holy shit. He has hinted at the differences between the journal and the game, but this is interesting.

The documents at the Earth temple mentioned Victor having a son. I'm wondering if that is who Ringabel is right now. Doubtful,
but I'm liking this and I think I might actually enjoy whatever Chapter 5 brings.

Edit:
On second thought, it seems more likely to be Alternis' journal. It explains the D as well. But then that still leaves a question of who Ringabel is.
First time anything about the story has really been interesting for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, just got to the Fire Nation
and all of the sudden the random battles are taking a lot more, causing me to really burn through my MP to get them done in a timely fashion. But ethers are so damn expensive...

I also put six levels into Pirate on Tiz but unfortunately it dropped his attack power down a well compared to Thief, so I had no real choice but to switch back

Question, will Support Amp increase the amount of BP you get from My Hero?

Second, here is my party, I'd loooove to get some input on what to adjust to make a better team (specifically my Agnes and Ringabell, and I know all my support abilities are a mess)

Tiz: Monk/Vamp (Natural Talent, Monster Ability Up, P.Atk 20%, Absorb P.Damage)
no equips

Agnes: Performer/Freelancer (Holy One, Angelic Ward, Auto-Aspir Blade, Auto-Shell)
Lilith's Rod
Blessed Shield
Lamia's Tiara
Brave Suit
Alarm Earrings (had that for leveling up, never switched)

Ringabel: Spiritmaster/Merchant (Rob Blind, Master Thief)
Thief's Knife
Lustrous Shield
Red Cap
Star Corslet
Thief Gloves

Edea: Dark Knight/Vamp (P.Atk 30%, Drain attack up, two handed)
Blood Blade
n/a
Heike Helm
Heike Armor
Hyper Bracers

All lvl 95. Any advice on equip changes, class changes, support changes, etc. would all be greatly appreciated. I really don't mind super OP suggestions because I just kinda want to beat the game at this point. I'm in Chapter 6, and don't really know what I'm doing other than demolishing everything with Monk and Dark Knight, blocking damage with Spiritmaster and giving BP with Perf.

Wazzy

Banned
No wonder in Chapter 3 those
children were used to mine. They're creepy as FUCK. Why do they all look alike?

But seriously, I'm at the fire temple and I assume I'm close to finishing the chapter. Is 4 the chapter with the drop off or is it 5?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm putzing around the end of chapter 4 and decided to read D's journal for once... holy shit. He has hinted at the differences between the journal and the game, but this is interesting.

The documents at the Earth temple mentioned Victor having a son. I'm wondering if that is who Ringabel is right now. Doubtful,
but I'm liking this and I think I might actually enjoy whatever Chapter 5 brings.

Edit:
On second thought, it seems more likely to be Alternis' journal. It explains the D as well. But then that still leaves a question of who Ringabel is.
First time anything about the story has really been interesting for me.

I thought the journal made things pretty obvious.

And regarding your first spoiler
Victor is Vincent's son, Victor didn't have a kid

I kind of wish the story surprised me. The game tips off so much in little pieces that I was able to put just about everything together regarding what's going (was slightly off, but not by much). The only thing I don't entirely get yet, as of the beginning of Chapter 6, is
what exactly is the Harrowing
. Everybody seems to have an idea of what's going on an why
awakening the crystals is bad
but nobody wants to tell you, they just want to kill you.

Can only assume it has something to do with
whatever Airy is doing at the end of each world, I assume absorbing the power of the crystals, and the big crater in Norende that happens to be in the same place. I'm guessing that and the holy pillar are related and somehow link the worlds, or something.
That's a lot more of a guess though since the game has gone out of it's way to avoid talking about it.

Where is a good chapter 6 grinding spot?

You can max everything out pretty easily at
Florem Gardens
, especially with a Growth Egg.

I guess me not remembering who
Vincent
is can explain that confusion.

I was and wasn't surprised to figure out
who Ringabel is. The journals suggested it, but I would think that Edea would know what Alternis looked like... Also, I would think Alternis would recognize himself and say something. Maybe reading the new journal will explain some of that.

Jawmuncher

I was loving this game at first. But now i'm just sitting at liking it. The characters are the main thing pushing me forward. Since I'm not a fan of the sheer amount of grinding that seems to be needed even on easy. It's so odd to be 25 hours in and at level 60something already. But then that's apparently not enough since you still need to do level these jobs as well. Gotta say had we gotten the original release without the difficulty adjustment or random battle slider I think I would have given up already. Good game thus far still, just not as great as when it started.

Also i'm on the side quest with those damn dragons I have to kill on every continent.
Any tips? Went to fight the fire and got my ass handed to me in just a few turns. Even though I had just beaten the story related boss prior to him with ease.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also i'm on the side quest with those damn dragons I have to kill on every continent.
Any tips? Went to fight the fire and got my ass handed to me in just a few turns. Even though I had just beaten the story related boss prior to him with ease.

Thief with holy arts/rampart to go first and negate damage, performer or 2 to restore BP to the Thief. Alternatively, their breath attacks are physical, so you can just keep Utsusemi up with Turn Tables to recover BP each time you dodge.

Use BP Recovery either way because you'll get free BP each time they use the "[element] Eye" attack.

And some of the others have status ailments with their attacks, which makes Utsusemi the better overall choice since it avoids the statuses too, and you can set it individually. Party of Ninjas (or other fast jobs with Ninja) with BP Recovery + Turn Tables, other two-three slots of your choice.

Proven

Quick question about the Chapter 4 Sidequest:
I'm guessing I can completely ignore looking for the keystones for now, or do I actually have to go looking before the chapter ends?

Edit: A friend told me to go looking around, then I managed to figure it out. I'm just surprised that there wasn't really a clue for it.

Mashing

I can't learn Bone Crush. The monster that is supposed to use it (Skull Lancer's) never use it. I've let it run atleast 20 rounds and never once do they use the ability on my character, they always just use normal attacks. I've damaged them so their current HP is less than their max and they still won't use it. Is this a bug?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't learn Bone Crush. The monster that is supposed to use it (Skull Lancer's) never use it. I've let it run atleast 20 rounds and never once do they use the ability on my character, they always just use normal attacks. I've damaged them so their current HP is less than their max and they still won't use it. Is this a bug?

Are you using Hasten World? AI is affected by BP and some enemies won't use the genome attacks if they keep getting +1 BP from Hasten World. IIRC that was one of them.

Ughh.... Dual Bloody/Blessed Shield Ringabel using Super Charge is so cool! I need some way to overcome the 1 BP loss, though. (Though it is minimal)

Also, anyone able to tell me what the deal with Auto-Aspir Blade is? Does it do damage and steal MP, or just steal MP? The speed at which damage/MP is hitting is incredibly slow, So I can't really tell... :/

Leezard

Ughh.... Dual Bloody/Blessed Shield Ringabel using Super Charge is so cool! I need some way to overcome the 1 BP loss, though. (Though it is minimal)

Also, anyone able to tell me what the deal with Auto-Aspir Blade is? Does it do damage and steal MP, or just steal MP? The speed at which damage/MP is hitting is incredibly slow, So I can't really tell... :/

Only steal MP, IIRC.

lupin23rd

Just got to chapter 5, is there any reason to
do all the side quest bosses again if I have all the jobs, or is it good for exp and jp and/or loot? My OCD wants to do them all again just to clean up the map lol

Tripon

999JP per
boss
is all.

They're also challenging fights. I'm finding it more and more that BD is all about the boss fights, and that's where I'm getting my enjoyment from.

Its like a turn based Monster Hunter. All the grinding is done to get some phat loot.

Espada

They're also challenging fights. I'm finding it more and more that BD is all about the boss fights, and that's where I'm getting my enjoyment from.

Its like a turn based Monster Hunter. All the grinding is done to get some phat loot.

Oh yeah, the game definitely shines in the boss battles. So far one of my favorite things has been the battles in Chapter 7. Great stuff to steal, great rewards, and really challenging fights.
I found them more interesting that fighting Airy in the fake "final" chapter.

So what's so great about Spell Fencer? I just got it, and am failing to see the appeal.... Am I not doing it right?

EDIT: Okay, my understanding is that it's more of planning/set-up friendly ability, and I'm more of a brute force, kill everything in one turn kinda guy... That said, watching my Thief Tiz kill stuff with dual flaming daggers is pretty awesome....

Proven

So what's so great about Spell Fencer? I just got it, and am failing to see the appeal.... Am I not doing it right?

For me, I built a character with high physical damage so they could be amplified by spell damage that makes it easy to exploit weaknesses. When you also consider the support abilities, I combo'd it with a lot of Chapter 3 classes. Currently have three out of four characters with Spell Fencer skills that I swap in and out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Spell Fencer makes for a better secondary command than primary job. Throw it on Pirate or Ninja (or Knight or Thief) or something for extra damage due to elemental weaknesses, or if not that, you can use drain and absorb HP and heal yourself just by attacking.

Very good to have in Chapter 2 and 3, since your physical jobs aren't going to have a lot of other good secondary command options.

I started a new playthrough to get into the Hall of Fame, and I realized the Mammon I kept sending from my eur 3DS to my jp one was a shitty Ether Mammon instead of an Elixir one. So now I have to send the Elixir Mammon from my Agnès Bravo Bikini playthrough to a throwaway file, then send that Elixir Mammon from the throwaway file to the Hall of Fame file :/

2San

I read somewhere that Pirate is a really strong class, but he seemed pretty useless when I tried him out. What am I missing?
Well he has high damage skills which pretty much hit for 9999 damage, but they drain a lot of MP. Which shouldn't be a problem when you pair them up with another class. ;)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I read somewhere that Pirate is a really strong class, but he seemed pretty useless when I tried him out. What am I missing?

Probably Amped Strike, which is the last ability Pirate gets, and it's not really good unless you combo it with Free Lunch (which is Swordmaster's last ability).

Pirate has great strength, and it's debuffs can be useful, but axes are terrible due to low hit count so if you can give them a better weapon they are better off.

CLEEK

So I'm at the start of Chapter 5. Due to finally getting an Elixir Mammon, I pretty much have infinite money. Had already kitted my team out with the best weapons from the Adventurer, but but have cleaned him out and have at least one of everything.

Do stores get restocked with better weapons? Or are the best ones hidden / need stealing to obtain? Or Are the 100,000pg ones from the Adventurer the best the game offers?

Tiz has been a Pirate as soon as the class was unlocked, and he is my main physical damage dealer by far. That's without using any abilities, just basic attacks. Along with the abilities that eat BP to do massive damage, the other Pirate abilities to lower P.Atk, P.Def and M.Def are awesome. Tiz has a maxed out Pirate as his secondary ability, and I'm going down the same oath for Ringabel.

CLEEK

Once you've rebuilt the village, the Adventurer sells Donnerschlag for 100,000pg. It's a lightning imbued spear.

Tripon

So I'm at the start of Chapter 5. Due to finally getting an Elixir Mammon, I pretty much have infinite money. Had already kitted my team out with the best weapons from the Adventurer, but but have cleaned him out and have at least one of everything.

Do stores get restocked with better weapons? Or are the best ones hidden / need stealing to obtain? Or Are the 100,000pg ones from the Adventurer the best the game offers?

Tiz has been a Pirate as soon as the class was unlocked, and he is my main physical damage dealer by far. That's without using any abilities, just basic attacks. Along with the abilities that eat BP to do massive damage, the other Pirate abilities to lower P.Atk, P.Def and M.Def are awesome. Tiz has a maxed out Pirate as his secondary ability, and I'm going down the same oath for Ringabel.

The stores do sell some upgraded stuff, but they're not better than what the Adventure sells. I'm at the end game, and I'm still using Foxtails(the best axe the Adventure sells.). You'll eventually get better stuff:

You can cheat a bit, break one of the crystals to get access to the final dungeon to get some better armor. Although if you're under leveled (below level 65) you might have a tough time being the final boss to the fake ending. Starting in chapter 7 & 8, side quests will allow you to steal better stuff, namely Lordly Robes. Side quest bosses will also drop Crystal mails/Crystal Helmets/Crystal Vests. Also, there's the bonus dungeon that you gain access to in the final chapter which contain the best end game stuff.

Fbh

So I reached chapter 5 and have a question for people that already finished it:

-Is there a point in doing the sidequests again if I already did them the first time? Is there any sort of reward for doing them all again or is there one in particular that gives you something new? because if it's for grinding Xp/Jp I can do it faster in the world map.
The only one that makes some sense is doing the vampire quest because from what I've read you can steal a genome skill from him.

The last skill of pirate + the last skill of swordmaster lets you basically attack with 4X damage with a 0 MP, which is simply great.

If you default to 4BP and they go all out with brave for the next 2 turns you can basically get 7 attacks with 4x damage in 2 turns.

Some of the debufs are also nice and can be usefull.

So... Chapter 5 & 6 Spoilers:
Are there any other hidden dialogue with the bosses? I noticed the Profiteur fight with and without Khint were different. And that if you used Susano-o in the Barbarossa fight, you get a comment from him.

Agnes is one of the worst characters in jrpg history. It's almost hitting Vanille/Hope levels of eye scratching, ear-bursting annoyance, and I've only just hit the title announcement for chapter 3.

The job and battle system is a lot of fun. The game has been well worth the purchase. Seeing that there are like 9 chapters opens my eyes to the content in this game. Playing on difficulty hard, there's a hefty amount of difficulty even with some mob enemies that can lull you into a false sense of security with a 4X brave move. Love it.

Proven

Agnes is one of the worst characters in jrpg history. It's almost hitting Vanille/Hope levels of eye scratching, ear-bursting annoyance, and I've only just hit the title announcement for chapter 3.

The job and battle system is a lot of fun. The game has been well worth the purchase. Seeing that there are like 9 chapters opens my eyes to the content in this game. Playing on difficulty hard, there's a hefty amount of difficulty even with some mob enemies that can lull you into a false sense of security with a 4X brave move. Love it.

Oh, you're only just up to Chapter 3? Your impressions aren't going to improve for a while...

So I'm inching my way along. I'm a little past the post where they explain SP and Street Pass.

Usually I like to quit my game (or at least being up the Home menu which seems to improve "reception") if possible to leave my system as free as possible for Street Passes, but then there's also the matter of recharging SP which is done by closing the system while the game is running.

What do you guys usually do for best results? Also, keep in mind, I like to take my 3DS out to the various Nintendo Zone locations for Street Passes too.

Top Bottom