• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

ITs me , or this games has some of the longest loading times on the system ?

animal crossing is pretty brutal.

order up is pretty bad.

This game? Not really.

So why is JP capped at 999? Seems like a dick move. The whole point of the game is having access to all them jobs abilities and support stuff, no clue why they put this arbitrary cap to make you have to grind more. It doesn't make shit more challenging, just more annoying.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm sort of conflicted on the whole thing. I guess I'm just traditional in the sense that I feel like dungeons should always have proper momentum/build up to their respective boss/event. As you said, I could easily tailor the given options to "recreate" that experience, but the fact that it's so readily available to change/alter throws my mind/perspective on things into a frenzy. I guess I just like certain aspects of gaming/RPGs to be a bit more rigid/set.

Having it unlock after 4 chapters or something could have worked, but I think having it there from the start is fine too. I mean, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it, that's your choice to not ignore it and pretend it isn't there (and then thank the developers later for adding it because it's necessary to make the later parts of the game enjoyable).

I played the first four chapters with no extra grinding and the encounter rate set to default. I didn't use friend summons or ablinks at all. The difficulty curve felt nice and smooth, I think the game was balanced fairly well in that regard.

Once I got to Chapter 5 I turned encounters off and it has really helped me enjoy the rest of the game. If I needed some levels for bosses or whatever I would just go quickly grind them out. (Chapter 5 mechanical spoilers)
The way I see it is I don't want to worry about random battles when I am going through the same dungeons I've already explored.

Anyway, I'd suggest that balance for anyone else playing the game, it's worked well for me.

problem i have with this game is, dungeon baddies tend to be super annoying and a good boss team setup is rarely that great for random mobs. its like the game encourages you to grind them all near town, and no encounter the dungeon.

btw: was i the only one that got brain fart from the lore dump in vampire castle? Too many factions and names... mind boggling that a bunch of key lore stuff is kept in this not easysidequest.

problem i have with this game is, dungeon baddies tend to be super annoying and a good boss team setup is rarely that great for random mobs. its like the game encourages you to grind them all near town, and no encounter the dungeon.

I find this is the case with almost all Square Enix games. Mobs are way more annoying than bosses. I'm just glad that I can turn the encounters off for dungeons instead of having to run from every fight.

btw: was i the only one that got brain fart from the lore dump in vampire castle? Too many factions and names... mind boggling that a bunch of key lore stuff is kept in this not easysidequest.

Feel No Pain+kill everything in 2 turns with compounding works perfectly fine for regular battles

Baust

I played the first four chapters with no extra grinding and the encounter rate set to default. I didn't use friend summons or ablinks at all. The difficulty curve felt nice and smooth, I think the game was balanced fairly well in that regard.

Once I got to Chapter 5 I turned encounters off and it has really helped me enjoy the rest of the game. If I needed some levels for bosses or whatever I would just go quickly grind them out. (Chapter 5 mechanical spoilers)
The way I see it is I don't want to worry about random battles when I am going through the same dungeons I've already explored.

Anyway, I'd suggest that balance for anyone else playing the game, it's worked well for me.
I think that's what I'm gonna go ahead and do too.

How did you approach the sidequests? I'm still trying to figure out how I want to approach them to keep my enjoyment level as high as possible.

Weiss

Banned
So what changes are you hoping for in Bravely Second?

I hope that some of the costumes don't look as ridiculous and for the option to switch to the Freelancer costume for cutscenes.

And if they do something similar to the
alternate universes, it'd be nice if they made them each unique, like in Chrono Trigger. Each continent only had like tree or four areas on them anyway.

So I just finished the game...

ended up breaking the last crystal in ch6. Loved the new title screen, remove the `f`s from the subtitle and get the plot of the game! Now I'm wondering... Is there another ending? Does something else happen if I keep reviving the crystals over and over?

I think that's what I'm gonna go ahead and do too.

How did you approach the sidequests? I'm still trying to figure out how I want to approach them to keep my enjoyment level as high as possible.
I took some advice that had been passed around in this thread; do all the sidequests from Chapters 1-4,
skip all the sidequests in Chapter 5, skip all the sidequests in Chapter 6 except for the Conjurer one (opens up in Yulyana after you awaken three crystals), and do all the sidequests in Chapters 7 and 8 (fun, challenging fights that mix things up, plus decent stuff to steal).

I'm just starting Chapter 8 now but I feel like this strategy has served me very well.

So I just finished the game...

ended up breaking the last crystal in ch6. Loved the new title screen, remove the `f`s from the subtitle and get the plot of the game! Now I'm wondering... Is there another ending? Does something else happen if I keep reviving the crystals over and over?

You got
the "fake" ending. The real ending happens if you keep re-awakening the crystals in Ch5, 6, 7, and 8. Then the True Final Chapter starts.

Baust

I took some advice that had been passed around in this thread; do all the sidequests from Chapters 1-4,
skip all the sidequests in Chapter 5, skip all the sidequests in Chapter 6 except for the Conjurer one (opens up in Yulyana after you awaken three crystals), and do all the sidequests in Chapters 7 and 8 (fun, challenging fights that mix things up, plus decent stuff to steal).

I'm just starting Chapter 8 now but I feel like this strategy has served me very well.
Yeah, that sounds good. I think that's how I'll approach them. Thanks!

why skip the sidequests in chapter 5-6?

FryHole

So what changes are you hoping for in Bravely Second?

I hope that some of the costumes don't look as ridiculous and for the option to switch to the Freelancer costume for cutscenes.

And if they do something similar to the
alternate universes, it'd be nice if they made them each unique, like in Chrono Trigger. Each continent only had like tree or four areas on them anyway.

When I saw the first screenshots of this game I thought it was essentially going to be a revival of the PS1 FF style rather than the FFIII/FFV hybrid it turned out to be (imo). I'd like the sequel to reach that PS1 level with more exploration, a larger and denser world map, plus a more ambitious narrative with a less obvious town/dungeon structure. As an excuse to go adventuring, the 'awaken four crystals' scenario is too close to your basic Zelda 'collect the pendants to prove your worth and defeat evil' setup, something a bit meatier would be nice in the next game.

It helps to avoid
burning out on the game before you reach the final, superior, stretch. Though personally I'd recommend doing a few early ones from Ch. 5 to get a feel for how the story is unfolding

What want from Bravely Second

-Tales of Symphonia level dungeons/puzzles. Why can't JRPGs have good dungeon puzzles anymore.

-Ability to "save" certain setup/job combos so you don't have to manually do everything.

-A bigger world map

That's about it honestly.

Really the main reason is what FryHole said, just preventing you from burning out on the game by redoing a ton of content for very little reward (in terms of the narrative and the items/exp you get). Some people love the game enough to look past that and if that's the case then by all means you should go for it and do everything.

Soriku

-Tales of Symphonia level dungeons/puzzles. Why can't JRPGs have good dungeon puzzles anymore.

-Ability to "save" certain setup/job combos so you don't have to manually do everything.

-A bigger world map

-Bigger towns, more NPCs.

-Pressing B in battle doesn't erase the whole last action. Also the game doesn't let you Brave if, say, you set two actions and you want to Brave 4x. You have to erase all your actions, Brave 4x, and set your attacks again.

-Some item that lets you examine enemies without relying on Freelancer.

-Snappier dialogue.

-Faster world map running.

There are a few other minor gameplay issues that I can't remember now.

-A bigger world map

-Pressing B in battle doesn't erase the whole last action. Also the game doesn't let you Brave if, say, you set two actions and you want to Brave 4x. You have to erase all your actions, Brave 4x, and set your attacks again.

-Snappier dialogue.

All of these are great. Number one for me would be the pacing/exploration of Chapters 1-4 applied to the entirety of Bravely Second.

Soriku

Oh yeah, a bigger soundtrack. Over Bravely Default, a few more battle themes (I thought Asterisk bosses should've had at least two, same with regular bosses. Another standard battle theme would've been nice too.), definitely more dungeon themes, a few more cutscene themes.

Also better cutscenes. More like Bravely Second's secret movie plz.

KHlover

Banned
Oh yeah, a bigger soundtrack. Over Bravely Default, a few more battle themes (I thought Asterisk bosses should've had at least two, same with regular bosses), definitely more dungeon themes, a few more cutscene themes.

Also better cutscenes. More like Bravely Second's secret movie plz.
Hell, I'd be satisfied if more cutscenes were like the one in the Fire Temple where Agnes saves Tiz and Egil. Sadly that was the best cutscene in the game, since it was the only one with a hint of camera use to create tension...

Okay so I'm in Chapter 7:

Finished all the sidequest boss fights and stole everything. Also beat 2 of the temple bosses, so I just have 2 more. Is it smooth sailing from here on out to the ending? I kind of just want to beat the game, so I just gotta do the crystals and fight the final boss/bosses? Also, is the bonus dungeon a big deal or is it just one of those things thats there if you want to challenge yourself more/extend playtime?

-A bigger world map

-Snappier dialogue.

I'd be happy with all of these, also if you identify an enemy either by freelancers detect or some new item like a lens then whenever you fight any of that enemy you should be able to see its stats.

Also voice acting during party chat, maybe the Japanese version has it but its awkward in the English one to have everything but party chat dubbed

Soriku

I'd be happy with all of these, also if you identify an enemy either by freelancers detect or some new item like a lens then whenever you fight any of that enemy you should be able to see its stats.

Also voice acting during party chat, maybe the Japanese version has it but its awkward in the English one to have everything but party chat dubbed

Yeah I thought it was strange how you'd examine an enemy, and you would get weaknesses + HP data, but all of the same enemies in later fights (or even the same fight if there are two or more of the same enemy and you only examined one) would give you their weaknesses, but not their HP.

My jp 3DS has stopped sending Belphegors now. It's sending nothing at all. I've been trying to send the Mammon to my eur 3DS since yesterday, and it's not working.

Maybesew

Ok, I'm in Chapter 6 now. 1 statement and 1 question.

I can't believe all of the story line content that is wrapped up in the optional
vampire
job content. I feel like if I hand't seen and participated in all of that, I would have missed out on too much of the game to warrant its optional status.

I seem to have unlocked all of the jobs except for 1 based on the job wheel. Did I miss it, or is there a job that comes in chapter 6 or beyond?

Ok, I'm in Chapter 6 now. 1 statement and 1 question.

I can't believe all of the story line content that is wrapped up in the optional
vampire
job content. I feel like if I hand't seen and participated in all of that, I would have missed out on too much of the game to warrant its optional status.

I seem to have unlocked all of the jobs except for 1 based on the job wheel. Did I miss it, or is there a job that comes in chapter 6 or beyond?

I do feel like the
Vampire
sidequest should have been required due to all of the story/world lore that it talks about, but they do go over it a little later in the game. Not quite as detailed as in that castle, though. But that's one thing Ioved about BD - the sidequests are totally worth it most of the time (at least the first time you do them).

As far as your question, you can get the final job in Chapter 6. After
awakening 3 crystals, you'll go to the sage for story stuff. After that, there should be a blue ! at his hut which starts the new/final job sidequest.
It's a neat sidequest, too imo. I like the little side story from it.

Ugh... It's been a few days in a row now that I've gotten Ether Mammons...... People need to stop sending those and let them die out. -___-

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I need Lucifer for Aeroga.

Big Pharma is better for making money than Elixir Mammon's anyway. A bit slower, but it requires no involvement once you set it up.

I need Lucifer for Aeroga.

Big Pharma is better for making money than Elixir Mammon's anyway. A bit slower, but it requires no involvement once you set it up.

True... But I like the speed of Mammons more. I did Big Pharm to get me a decent amount of money to buy most of the trader items, but it's still not enough. >_> I've got 40+ hours clocked, and am only at Chapter 2... Hooray for greed!

damn...my brother in law just spoiled part of the game for me because he thought I was farther then him because my characters are higher levels then his.

Soriku

I just remembered another issue I have. When you have your tab set on the enemy's status, and I believe yours, it will automatically go back to the input screen at the start of your turn. Now this is fine, but why does it do this when you have auto battle on? I'm not making any inputs so I'd rather have my tab on the enemy's HP and not have to check it manually every turn.

This is a pretty situational issue though. I mainly cared when I had four ninjas auto battling the chapter 4 dragons :p

Fandangox

Yeah I thought it was strange how you'd examine an enemy, and you would get weaknesses + HP data, but all of the same enemies in later fights (or even the same fight if there are two or more of the same enemy and you only examined one) would give you their weaknesses, but not their HP.

When you examine and enemy you can always see its stats again if you reencounter it.
This applies to bosses as well.

The only thing you need to examine again to see its what their current HP is.

To see their stats once examined, move the stick left to hover on of the enemies, and then right on the D-Pad to see their stats.

CLEEK

ITs me , or this games has some of the longest loading times on the system ?

Do you have the cart version, or digital?

I've got it on cart, and the loading times have never bothered me. In fact, I can't really tell you off the top of my head where there are loading time. Going in & out of menus is instant, as are when you enter/exit towns or dungeons.

Maybe your SD card is fucking with you?

PSA - always backup your SD card to your PC. I had one die on me about a year into getting a 3DS. Lost so much stuff from my digital games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I beat the game and have officially reversed the stance on whether or not Job Fiesta would work for this game.

It would work perfectly provided you beat the game. Start a New Game+ and only transfer over jobs. Get one new job each chapter until you have 4 jobs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the game and have officially reversed the stance on whether or not Job Fiesta would work for this game.

It would work perfectly provided you beat the game. Start a New Game+ and only transfer over jobs. Get one new job each chapter until you have 4 jobs.

I'd imagine it would be a lot more challenging than FFV though. And possibly extremely grindy depending on what jobs you get.

Not that FFV can't turn out like that, the library with only Thief and Berserker is a grindy mess.

Does anyone have a guide or instructions on how to setup a streetpass relay? I live out in the middle of nowhere so I never get any chances to actually find people and while it's nice of the game to give me some villagers I'd like more.

Korosenai

Would have to be the sudden stop in Ringabel's character development. Chatper 6 ends with him finally regaining his memories, finding out he is Alternis, and then.... nothing.

Mature

What do you mean exactly?

Chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8 are all basically the same if that's what you are referring to, no joke sadly. :p Few new story bits here and there at least...
Chapter 8, too!? Oh gosh, that's awful. Is there any reason to do these sidequests? I already have Vampire and Conjurer.

Top Bottom