• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

duckroll

So is the only way to get more villagers in town to street pass or wifi connect with people?

Once a day when you use the update data function to update your stats and friend data online, you will also get a random number of non-friend invite connections. It's a form of online street passing, and those get added as villagers. The other way is actual street passing, yes.

I don't know if talking about Nemesis boss fights is spoiler territory so I'll err on the side of caution and spoiler tag it anyway.
So I managed to beat that nemesis Satan with the ultimate cheese strategy. Took me 15 minutes tops.
I'm not sure if I was underleveled to fight it as it hits like a truck and the fight took way longer than the typical boss fight.

He's a special kind of boss that occasionally earns bonus BP on every hit. If he starts a turn with bonus BP he will use this blade dance move that will wipe your party.
And to top if off it will occasionally cast a group-wide beserk spell, which forces your party to feed more BP points to it. It's a very unconventional fight from what I seen in my 40 hours of playing.

My strategy to beat it revolved using my Ninja Tiz constantly cast Kairai to direct aggro to my Swordsmaster Edea. She would then just take a hit and counter it until it died.
This would be a solid plan if the boss didn't cast that damn berserk spell. I didn't have any equipment that protects against berserk at that time.

I then remembered the Salve-maker's ability Inoculate. It lets you use an a status restoring item to make you immune from whatever status you want (e.g. inoculate with an antidote makes you immune to poison).
I stocked up on some remedies (the only item to cure berserk) and just had my Salve-maker Ringabel constantly cast inoculate on my entire party while Agnes was on emergency healing duties.

After 15 minutes of cheesing hits and 2 or so dozen remedies, managed to kill the bastard. All I got was some agility increasing item but it just feels so good to outsmart a boss like this.

Once a day when you use the update data function to update your stats and friend data online, you will also get a random number of non-friend invite connections. It's a form of online street passing, and those get added as villagers. The other way is actual street passing, yes.

Thanks

One last question, is there any penalty to using ablinks? I have a few friends who've clearly maxed job levels and I feel like my characters just got free end game abilities. I'm almost tempted to remove them because I'm afraid it'll make the game too easy

Korosenai

kicking my ass lol. I need to find out some good strats.

My current setup:

Tiz - Ninja/Thief
Agnes - Spiritmaster/White Mage
Ringabel - Valkyrie/Pirate
Edea - Dark Knight/Spellfencer

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
FINALLY got a Mammon in my town. Time to roll in that pg.

I got one at level 25... I heard about all the cool things regarding money, so I fought it and killed it. I got zero gold. In retrospect I figured there was probably some trick involving the Merchant job.

Balls.

Tripon

I got one at level 25... I heard about all the cool things regarding money, so I fought it and killed it. I got zero gold. In retrospect I figured there was probably some trick involving the Merchant job.

Balls.

You need to steal elixirs, and then run away. Each elixir from Mammon sells for 25,000 pg. You could sell it to an enemy using one of the Merchant's skills for 50,000pg.

Tripon

kicking my ass lol. I need to find out some good strats.

My current setup:

Tiz - Ninja/Thief
Agnes - Spiritmaster/White Mage
Ringabel - Valkyrie/Pirate
Edea - Dark Knight/Spellfencer

If you have conjurer, one of the skills is Obliterate, which will automatically kill enemies lower than 20 levels below you, and you still get experience/jp/pg.

RangerBAD

If you have conjurer, one of the skills is Obliterate, which will automatically kill enemies lower than 20 levels below you, and you still get experience/jp/pg.

I haven't got that job yet, but I'm in Chapter 5 and I'm looking for a good place to farm with auto-battle. Florem doesn't give you the mandagora-type enemies often enough to spam Compound in auto-battle.

duckroll

Thanks

One last question, is there any penalty to using ablinks? I have a few friends who've clearly maxed job levels and I feel like my characters just got free end game abilities. I'm almost tempted to remove them because I'm afraid it'll make the game too easy

There's no penalty to using any of the social stuff to make the game easier, but its also clearly a crutch. If you don't feel that you need it, don't use it. I think it can be a pretty cool way to checking out what certain jobs have to offer later on, to decide if it would be a good idea to invest into them yourself. Kinda like "borrowing" a friend's character. Personally I don't leave them on my characters at all.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There's no penalty to using any of the social stuff to make the game easier, but its also clearly a crutch. If you don't feel that you need it, don't use it. I think it can be a pretty cool way to checking out what certain jobs have to offer later on, to decide if it would be a good idea to invest into them yourself. Kinda like "borrowing" a friend's character. Personally I don't leave them on my characters at all.

the best is using really low attack special attack friend summons, just to keep the special music going during the entire battle :)

Cool beans, I've not been using it for that reason but it is nice to have. Even on hard outside of the first boss and those orcs nothing has really been that challenging so far.

RangerBAD

Cool beans, I've not been using it for that reason but it is nice to have. Even on hard outside of the first boss and those orcs nothing has really been that challenging so far.

Oh, normal enemies get much harder.

What's Group-Cast All good for? Most spells can be cast on all enemies/allies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Oh, normal enemies get much harder.

What's Group-Cast All good for? Most spells can be cast on all enemies/allies.

It's nice for stuff like regen and reraise if you want to use those. A nice tactic you can use is have BP Recovery on everyone (Red Mage ability, 1 point) which gives you 2 BP I think every time you're inflicted with a status effect. So you could brave and cast poison on your whole team to get 2 BP for everyone and then esuna healing them all with a red mage with group-cast all.

Avallon

ae6T57jl.jpg

How?

Also, If I summon this, do I have to use Bravely Second to break the damage cap?

KHlover

Banned
Sleep All -> Twilight.

Kills enemies in a single turn.

Can Protect/Shell your entire party too, or group Aspir/Drain.
Boo this man.

Obviously it's Poison all -> Eradicate/Exterminate or however the spell is called in English (Auslöschen in German). Poison doesn't wear off after a single hit and most bosses are not immune to poison anyways.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Edea showoffing time?

DhIglmZ.jpg

P.ATK 200%
Elemental Amps
Critical 1000%
Hit Count 250%

Not sure if the last one accounts for anything; debuff the enemy too. Natural Talent.
No you don't need to Bravely Second.

I'm in chapter 4 got to the
Vampire
castle and now I'm trying to collect the keystones. But I apparently don't know how to activate the pillars. Do I have go further before I'm allowed?

EDIT: I checked a couple other walkthroughs. Looks like I need to go just a bit further.

demidar

Boo this man.

Obviously it's Poison all -> Eradicate/Exterminate or however the spell is called in English (Auslöschen in German). Poison doesn't wear off after a single hit and most bosses are not immune to poison anyways.

Who cares, the enemy's dead after turn one anyway.

Mashing

Not sure if the last one accounts for anything; debuff the enemy too. Natural Talent.
No you don't need to Bravely Second.

I didn't think you could break 9999 cap without Bravely Second?

Oh you are talking about the friend summoning that Edea, yea you don't need BS for that. But if you want to get your power to that level it is required. Pain in the ass to setup properly from what I hear.

VertPin

This is probably one of the best games I have ever played. I cannot WAIT for Bravely Second. I'm glad they're going with different characters this time around, just like FF! :D
Just please don't make the main character boring like Tiz, augh. Anges, Edea, and Ringabel were awesome.
Just saw the bad ending. The one where you break the crystals, wtf man? This isn't the true ending? I have to repeat the four crystal bosses AGAIN? Just to get the true ending? Were they rushed? This game went from a 10/10 to me to a 9/10. It's still EXCELLENT but wow, why is the last fourth of the game so balls? Jesus

Pappasman

Just finished the game with the true ending on hard. I loved it, even with its controversial second half(which I had no problem with). I think I might like it over any of the "numbered" Final Fantasys I've played. Hard was the perfect difficulty for me. It really forced me to constantly be switching jobs and coming up with new team builds.

Stillness and Minus Strike are totally OP.

Finally completed it..

Chapter 8 and Ending Spoilers

Chapter 8 + the secret Adventurer fight was pretty awesome. I started to lose interest about midway through chapter 6, but once I hit 8 and seen the crazy fight compositions I had to fight my through, all my love for the game came rushing back.

The final fight had a nice touch to it also, I wonder how they determined who on your friends list would make appearances during those mini cut scenes. Despite having so many people on my list from posting my FC in this thread, the game still chose people I knew over quick invites from this thread, which made those scenes extra cool (maybe it was just a big coincidence).

On the subject of the actual ending; I thought it was interesting. I knew that passing comment Mephilia made during the Summoner asterisk quest would end up having substance to it. And of course the teaser trailer left me with a ton of questions... I hope the sequel gets a much faster localization, if at all. :(

Korosenai

I just had the most satisfying battle ive played all game.

It was the fight against Ominas, Heinkel, and Barras. I actually had to use strategy, it wasnt just mindlessly attacking and healing. I had to plan out all of my moves and wait and use specials for right moments. It took me about an hour and a half, slightly changing my strategy every time. Sometimes I would get killed on the first turn and other times id get killed on the first turn when I was attacked by all three of them... But when I finally won it was the most satisfying feeling ever. The awesome thing about this was I didnt need to go grind my job or level. I was already ready stat wise, I just needed to do the right moves and actually thinj about what I was doing.

I figured out an "Completely Disrespectful Zero Effort" General Boss Strat while working out how to beat the bonus boss.
3 Ninja/Whatever. 1 Spiritmaster/Performer or viceversa.

The 3 ninjas should be set up with Patk+30%, natural talent and knuckle lore.
The Spiritmaster should have Hasten World and Speed 30%. They should also be equipped with as many speed boosting equips as possible; 2 Falcon Knives and Hermes Shoes work well. If you have a Brave Suit and Ribbon, give them those too. Getting over 100 Agility is the goal.

First turn: 4x brave on all the ninjas and have them use shippujinrai and have the Spiritmaster use stillness and Love Power.
Then hit Auto battle. Set down the 3DS, watch the unscathed victory.

If a boss uses a detrimental status ailment; have the ninjas default on the first turn and have the Spiritmaster use Fairy Ward, then begin the loop.
Sub whatever you think could possibly be handy for MP consumption on the Ninjas. I'd recommend Swordmaster or Salvemaker.

I tested it, this party can clear every Chapter 8 sidequest boss group with no problems.
The only bosses that this strategy doesn't work on are Belephor and the Kammizumi nemesis.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Beat the game. Really satisfying!

For whatever reason though my Rangers were the strongest.

Final set was:

Tiz: Ranger (Sub: Freelancer)
Agnes: Spiritmaster (Sub: White Mage)
Ringabel: Ranger (Sub: Salve-Maker)
Edea: Conjurer (Sub: Black Mage)

So yeah, clearly I was doing it wrong. XD

Tripon

I'm in chapter 7,

I cleared all the sidequests, except one at Enteria Central Command. I already beat Brav Lee's party, and I don't see another blue marker. Wonder what I have to do next.

Okay, so I'm about to finally go through chapter 5, here is my plan, just want to make sure I'm not going to miss anything:

Chapter 5 - no sidequests, just run through the story real quick to the end
Chapter 6 - Do Conjurer sidequest, otherwise just run through to the end
Chapter 7 - Do all the sidequests and steal all the good equipment

Does that sound about right for a person who just kind of wants to beat the game, but doesn't want to miss out on the good stuff?

Espada

Okay, so I'm about to finally go through chapter 5, here is my plan, just want to make sure I'm not going to miss anything:

Chapter 5 - no sidequests, just run through the story real quick to the end
Chapter 6 - Do Conjurer sidequest, otherwise just run through to the end
Chapter 7 - Do all the sidequests and steal all the good equipment

Does that sound about right for a person who just kind of wants to beat the game, but doesn't want to miss out on the good stuff?

Yup, that sounds good. Hell, I wish I just skipped past the ones in Chapter 5 and 6 (aside from
Conjurer
). I'm in Chapter 7 now and these battles are GREAT, and so is the equipment I'm stealing.

Anustart

I shouldn't have done the fake ending. I now have 0 motivation to continue playing. The whole brave and default system has grown tired too. All it accomplished was making enemies have 4x as much hp as they would have had the system not been there, so its addition is basically worthless as it adds nothing to the game.

Tripon

I shouldn't have done the fake ending. I now have 0 motivation to continue playing. The whole brave and default system has grown tired too. All it accomplished was making enemies have 4x as much hp as they would have had the system not been there, so its addition is basically worthless as it adds nothing to the game.

Nah, it also made the designers program enemy AI to take advantage of it. They're go into the end to take multiple turns just like you will. And they'll make you pay for going into the red as well. Its a pretty ingenious twist to the turn based system, and I hope more RPGs try to innovate on it.

what exactly is this stillness loop?

Side note: when can I open the blue chests? Will the game tell me flat out that its available?

The Stillness loop is basically a scenario in which 3 of your characters do an attack, then one character activates stillness, followed by the enemy getting their attack. It requires your characters all having higher agility than the enemy while having the character activating stillness being slower than the other 3 but still faster than the enemy. The use of Hasten World (Time Mage lvl14 skill) is also recommended as it'll allow you to use stillness immediately again once it's 2 turn duration runs out. In a few posts up I listed one such loop that only requires 1 character to have high agility (There aren't any plot or character spoilers under the spoiler tags so feel free to read it.) Basically what it allows you to do is completely negate any damage the enemy can ever possibly do all while allowing you to attack completely freely. 100% cheese the game, defeat challenge, unscathed any boss.

Also you'll be able to open blue chests starting in chapter 6.

Mashing

what exactly is this stillness loop?

I'm going to put this in spoiler tags just in case

Stillness is a spirtmaster ability that allows them to null dmg on allies and enemies for 2 turns. So what you have to do is manipulate the turn order so that your spirtmaster acts last (by making your allies speed atleast 20 higher than your enemy and higher than your SM) and then use another job to restore the bp that was consumed (so that in two turns you're spirtmaster can act again). So what ends up happening is that the enemies turn always has stillness in effect, but there is one turn where your allies are not under stillness. You use this turn to deal damage, during the 2nd turn of stillness you just default/use a non bp cost ability (unless you use performer which is what I do).

I use as an example:

Ninja/Thief (remember you want lots of speed)
Freelancer/Performer (for My Hero/mimic spam - really overkill but I use it so I can get two Godspeed Strikes on my Ninja. I also slot Hasten World here)
Time Mage/Swordmaster (free lunch / meteor)
Spirtmaster/Any class you want here (for stillness)

Zomba13

So just finished the game. Not gonna post spoilers but the ending stuff during the boss fight was really cool. Doesn't make up for chapters 5-7 though but was a nice touch.

That Secret Movie though. Best use of the Gyroscope I can think of.

I'm cautiously looking forward to Bravely Second. Hopefully they learn from the mistakes of this one, namely chapters 5-7. Loved pretty much everything else about the game though. Battle system was familiar yet fresh, the encounter rate slider and difficulty selection made grinding easy if you wanted it to be. The Job System was great, I love job systems. Loved how much of a FF game this was. Story and characters were all right. Don't get much development until later in the game and even then not much. Ringabel's past was predictable but had a twist I didn't expect. Liked the side job characters though for what we see of them.

I don't know if talking about Nemesis boss fights is spoiler territory so I'll err on the side of caution and spoiler tag it anyway.
So I managed to beat that nemesis Satan with the ultimate cheese strategy. Took me 15 minutes tops.
I'm not sure if I was underleveled to fight it as it hits like a truck and the fight took way longer than the typical boss fight.

He's a special kind of boss that occasionally earns bonus BP on every hit. If he starts a turn with bonus BP he will use this blade dance move that will wipe your party.
And to top if off it will occasionally cast a group-wide beserk spell, which forces your party to feed more BP points to it. It's a very unconventional fight from what I seen in my 40 hours of playing.

My strategy to beat it revolved using my Ninja Tiz constantly cast Kairai to direct aggro to my Swordsmaster Edea. She would then just take a hit and counter it until it died.
This would be a solid plan if the boss didn't cast that damn berserk spell. I didn't have any equipment that protects against berserk at that time.

I then remembered the Salve-maker's ability Inoculate. It lets you use an a status restoring item to make you immune from whatever status you want (e.g. inoculate with an antidote makes you immune to poison).
I stocked up on some remedies (the only item to cure berserk) and just had my Salve-maker Ringabel constantly cast inoculate on my entire party while Agnes was on emergency healing duties.

After 15 minutes of cheesing hits and 2 or so dozen remedies, managed to kill the bastard. All I got was some agility increasing item but it just feels so good to outsmart a boss like this.

alternatively: Stillness strats, his combo now does 0 damage lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 5 question:
so I broke the first crystal I got to and the game moved straight to final chapter. This is the "bad" ending, right? Can I go back and to the other chapters easily afterwards and get another ending?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Chapter 5 question:
so I broke the first crystal I got to and the game moved straight to final chapter. This is the "bad" ending, right? Can I go back and to the other chapters easily afterwards and get another ending?
the game will send you back right before you broke it when you beat the fake end; don't worry

Top Bottom