• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

So I'm inching my way along. I'm a little past the post where they explain SP and Street Pass.

Usually I like to quit my game (or at least being up the Home menu which seems to improve "reception") if possible to leave my system as free as possible for Street Passes, but then there's also the matter of recharging SP which is done by closing the system while the game is running.

What do you guys usually do for best results? Also, keep in mind, I like to take my 3DS out to the various Nintendo Zone locations for Street Passes too.

I usually just close the system with the game active, or sometimes go to home screen first before closing the system. Either way, I still get streetpass. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

You're gonna want all the streetpasses you can get to help with rebuilding Norende.

As for SP, I let that go on while I'm asleep and the 3DS is charging. it's 8 hours for 1 SP, and on top of that, SP is capped at 3. I hardly use SP, so... Yeah, not really a problem.

Pulling off 4 special attacks in perfect timing to beat the boss guarding the
rainbow thread
was sooooo good. Started with the sword ability, then used the bow ability, then the wand/staff (the healing one), then the staff/wand (the damaging one). Boost to hit, crit, magic, and healing? All over my face

My favorite discovered strategy so far:

Dark Knight/Spell Fencer. Four straight Dark Banes, each one healing you fully as you go and increasing your stats thanks to adversity. May not be the cheesiest thing anyone's found but it sure does feel good!

polg

I've just realized (after 3 weeks of playing) that job level doesn't equal level of magic proficiency... I've learnt that the hard way (by grinding, and not being able to do the spells I wanted)

ABLink saved the day :p

I've just realized (after 3 weeks of playing) that job level doesn't equal level of magic proficiency... I've learnt that the hard way (by grinding, and not being able to do the spells I wanted)

ABLink saved the day :p

Huh it's not then how is it determined? I've been switching Anges between black mage and white mage to make sure I always had someone with access to the highest level of each :X

Also I'm shocked at how much damage steal life does for a bow thief. Makes my thief virtually immortal god damn

My favorite discovered strategy so far:

Dark Knight/Spell Fencer. Four straight Dark Banes, each one healing you fully as you go and increasing your stats thanks to adversity. May not be the cheesiest thing anyone's found but it sure does feel good!

I should try that. I've been doing Black Bane x3 and then follow up with Minus Strikes until death or Blessed Shield healing by someone else. Rise from Dead as a decent failsafe

I should try that. I've been doing Black Bane x3 and then follow up with Minus Strikes until death or Blessed Shield healing by someone else. Rise from Dead as a decent failsafe
I did that for a good while but once I realized Drain worked with Black Bane there was no turning back!

Edit: Typo in my original comment, I meant Black not Dark.

polg

Huh it's not then how is it determined? I've been switching Anges between black mage and white mage to make sure I always had someone with access to the highest level of each :X

Also I'm shocked at how much damage steal life does for a bow thief. Makes my thief virtually immortal god damn

One of the skills you lear is "Magic Level 3", but for example, you reach that at Job level 7.

Tripon

So I'm on the last chapter, and I just cleaned out the bonus dungeon. How tough is the Adventure boss? Should I wait until I go out and save? Is he harder than the end boss?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I'm on the last chapter, and I just cleaned out the bonus dungeon. How tough is the Adventure boss? Should I wait until I go out and save? Is he harder than the end boss?

About as hard as anything else at that point, nothing special. Kind of a let down honestly. The "reward" is lame.

Tripon

About as hard as anything else at that point, nothing special. Kind of a let down honestly. The "reward" is lame.

Hmm, okay. Might just skip it then. Just beat the game.

Ending:
I seriously laughed out loud when I saw my friends worlds either blown up or giving me their power. Felt like I was gathering up power for a Spirit Bomb/Genki Dama from DBZ. Actual ending was a bit of let down, other than I wanted that outfit of Ringabel in the dark night suit with a scarf covering his face in the game itself. Makes him look like Batman. I loved the Bonus movie though. I thought after playing over 75 Hours of Bravely Default would kill my mood, but because of that bonus movie and the way they did the gyro, I want Bravely Second right now.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hmm, okay. Might just skip it then. Just beat the game.

Ending:
I seriously laughed out loud when I saw my friends worlds either blown up or giving me their power. Felt like I was gathering up power for a Spirit Bomb/Genki Dama from DBZ. Actual ending was a bit of let down, other than I wanted that outfit of Ringabel in the dark night suit with a scarf covering his face in the game itself. Makes him look like Batman. I loved the Bonus movie though. I thought after playing over 75 Hours of Bravely Default would kill my mood, but because of that bonus movie and the way they did the gyro, I want Bravely Second right now.

If you really want to know
here's what you get. Doesn't do anything. Would've been better if you got a costume or something at least.

Yeah the part of the ending you mentioned was cool. The bonus movie was really great. Finally, a use for the gyroscope that wasn't frustrating :p

Fury Sense

I don't know if this was posted, but Nintendo has a class quiz on their website.

ph0a6N8.png

LOL

NolbertoS

Been playing this game for about 5 hours, but I'm not a huge fan of the job system. Reminds me more of Final Fantasy V then anything with FF III storyline. Rebuilding Norende seems like a chore, but guess its similar to DQ new town building mini-game where you can buy new goodies.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I've got to say the pervy old sage has taken a ton of wind out of my sails on this game. Sexual harassment isn't cute or funny, it's gross. It's not like i've never seen the pervy old sage routine done before, but this one in particular seems particularly terrible.

Soriku

I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I've got to say the pervy old sage has taken a ton of wind out of my sails on this game. Sexual harassment isn't cute or funny, it's gross. It's not like i've never seen the pervy old sage routine done before, but this one in particular seems particularly terrible.

Seemed rather standard to me...and it's a very small part of the game. It's not like he actually creeps besides making comments. Plus there's actually more to his character...

Anyway, I thought long backstory by DeRosso was pretty awesome. I don't mind infodumps so I enjoyed it. Probably the most interesting part of the story so far, and it was optional.

Also, I reached chapter 5. I am ready for the Steins;Gate...I think.

Costia

I am playing the demo,I am at the 4th boss and he is kicking my ass :\
Looks like I need to open the village stores to get shiny new gear to beat him (looks like the quest description hints at this). Currently he one-shots my mages.
The third boss was quite hard for me as well. My black mage was running out of mana. I guess It would have been easier with the level 3 abilities.
I don't think I ever played a JRPG for more than a few hours. So since I am relatively new to this I can't tell if I am bad at this or just missing appropriate gear/spells.
Should I lower the difficulty or is the grind to get the new gear/abilities a part of the game?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How good is the
Absorb P. Attack Vampire skill
to have for my un-equiped monk?

I started a new playthrough to get into the Hall of Fame, and I realized the Mammon I kept sending from my eur 3DS to my jp one was a shitty Ether Mammon instead of an Elixir one. So now I have to send the Elixir Mammon from my Agnès Bravo Bikini playthrough to a throwaway file, then send that Elixir Mammon from the throwaway file to the Hall of Fame file :/

Okay, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the jp 3DS keeps sending a Belphegor from the Hall of Fame (in progress) file to the eur throwaway file. Even the site says I'm supposed to be sending a Mammon :/
iiFS9oxw4Qn7K.png

I am playing the demo,I am at the 4th boss and he is kicking my ass :
Looks like I need to open the village stores to get shiny new gear to beat him (looks like the quest description hints at this). Currently he one-shots my mages.
The third boss was quite hard for me as well. My black mage was running out of mana. I guess It would have been easier with the level 3 abilities.
I don't think I ever played a JRPG for more than a few hours. So since I am relatively new to this I can't tell if I am bad at this or just missing appropriate gear/spells.
Should I lower the difficulty or is the grind to get the new gear/abilities a part of the game?

While I've not played the demo usually during jRPGs its not a matter of your level/gear but more your strategy. If you didn't lower the encounter rate and bought new gear from town those should always take care of themselves. In a game like BD with a huge job system you may need to reassess and restructure your team to beat the boss. Knight with monk skills, monk with knight skills, b mage with w magic, and w mage with b magic may sound balanced but balance may not be what you need for this boss. If the boss has high evasion and low magic defense maybe an all magic team is in order, or maybe you need the high hp and defense of a knight but give him b magic or w magic as his support instead of melee skills. You may also need to make better use of the brave/default system. Don't be afraid to have a character default when the party is ahead you made need that action later so save everyone. Also don't be afraid to brave into the negative if it means reviving the whole team at the cost of one of your healers next few turns.

Again haven't played the demo but if its anything like the main game you shouldn't need to grind/get new gear unless you've been running from a lot of battles and not upgrading and even then with the right strategy you may not need a high level/gear

Jawmuncher

Thief with holy arts/rampart to go first and negate damage, performer or 2 to restore BP to the Thief. Alternatively, their breath attacks are physical, so you can just keep Utsusemi up with Turn Tables to recover BP each time you dodge.

Use BP Recovery either way because you'll get free BP each time they use the "[element] Eye" attack.

And some of the others have status ailments with their attacks, which makes Utsusemi the better overall choice since it avoids the statuses too, and you can set it individually. Party of Ninjas (or other fast jobs with Ninja) with BP Recovery + Turn Tables, other two-three slots of your choice.

Thanks will go ahead and do this. Just wrapped up getting my othr 3 classes up to level 9 and gaining a few more levels

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just made it to chapter 5... I guess I found out while people have been saying the game shits the bed part way through...

After playing the chapter I feel this reaction is a bit hyperbolic. It's not that bad. Personally I kind of enjoyed:

1. Facing earlier and boosted bosses and new area enemies with my new team/setup.

2. The mobility of the map that the grandship gives you. Blasting between areas goes really fast.

3. Story-wise it's obivously pretty meh.. But it's not like the story was a modern classic to begin with, like is so often the case in jrpgs.

A tip: If you don't want to spend too much time in a dungeon you 've already spent time in, turn down encounter rate to -100 %

Jawmuncher

Thief with holy arts/rampart to go first and negate damage, performer or 2 to restore BP to the Thief. Alternatively, their breath attacks are physical, so you can just keep Utsusemi up with Turn Tables to recover BP each time you dodge.

Use BP Recovery either way because you'll get free BP each time they use the "[element] Eye" attack.

And some of the others have status ailments with their attacks, which makes Utsusemi the better overall choice since it avoids the statuses too, and you can set it individually. Party of Ninjas (or other fast jobs with Ninja) with BP Recovery + Turn Tables, other two-three slots of your choice.

WOW I just destroyed that dragon. Now onto the rest for me!

Mashing

So I've found a class combination that destroys every boss so far (I'm in chapter 6)

Monk/Dark Knight - 4x Minus Strike (10,200 base HP, so I'm doing 9999 dmg no matter my weapon)
Freelancer/Performer - 2x My Hero
Time Mage/Swordmaster - Meteor for the win
Spirtmaster/White Mage (with Brave Suit) - Honestly, that 2nd class could be anything. SM alone is fantastic

I can 4x brave nearly every turn.

Just got to Chapter 6 and I have a couple quick question:

1. Are all the Crystal bosses even stronger than they were in Chapter 5? Are all the other bosses stronger than they would have been in Ch. 5?

2. I saw that you can destroy the Crystals? How do you do it? After hearing what Braev and Artemis said, I'm becoming a little suspicious Airy so I want to consider taking this path.

Leezard

1. Are all the Crystal bosses even stronger than they were in Chapter 5? Are all the other bosses stronger than they would have been in Ch. 5?

2. I saw that you can destroy the Crystals? How do you do it? After hearing what Braev and Artemis said, I'm becoming a little suspicious Airy so I want to consider taking this path.

2:
Just continue to spam X after Airy says "stop thats enough".

FryHole

1. I believe so, yes.

I would recommend holding off on doing that in chapter 6, myself, certainly not early on, anyway. The story develops so there's a natural point at which to try to break a crystal.

Reached Chapter
last night. I love this game so much but to be honest I'm about ready for it to be over.

For the next game
I really hope they go the FFIII/FFIV route and allow you to travel somewhere outside of the world map. This game would be amazing if I got to travel to another planet or some other world, but obviously they ran out of resources or something. The feeling that accompanies exploration is one of my favorite parts of the genre so seeing that removed for the last four chapters of the game is a little disappointing. I'm still having a great time with it though, thanks primarily to the phenomenal battle system.

I seem to be missing at least one job. There are so many side quests on the map, I can't tell if it's something I can get right now or if I can just let it come to me.

Did some grinding during the Oscars and have maxed out my levels and most of my job levels.

I can see the bosses in the next few chapters being horrible. The bosses in 5 haven't been too bad but I've come across some moments where attacks shift gear at the end of the fight and the boss starts insta-gibbing people with new moves.

Fireblend

Banned
I got to chapter 4 and I need some build recommendations. This is my current team:
(All jobs mentioned for each character are above lvl 10 and their current one is bolded)

Tiz: Black Mage, Red Mage, Pirate & Time Mage
Agnes: White Mage, Salve Maker & Summoner
Edea: Knight, Valkyrie, Swordmaster and I think Thief
Ringabel: Knight, Monk & Ranger

Also, I just got the Ninja job which I know is pretty good. But I kind of feel my team is a mess right now, and despite being near level 60 I think I'm starting to have trouble with bosses. Any help?

FryHole

Reached Chapter
last night. I love this game so much but to be honest I'm about ready for it to be over.

For the next game
I really hope they go the FFIII/FFIV route and allow you to travel somewhere outside of the world map. This game would be amazing if I got to travel to another planet or some other world, but obviously they ran out of resources or something. The feeling that accompanies exploration is one of my favorite parts of the genre so seeing that removed for the last four chapters of the game is a little disappointing. I'm still having a great time with it though, thanks primarily to the phenomenal battle system.

Have you read this? Obviously don't do so if you want to avoid any remotely spoilery stuff for the sequel

Bravely Second’s plot involves a “Demon King” and the moon, both of which are new additions related to the story. Keep in mind that Magnolia is a self-professed Demon King killer from the moon, and Asano says that her world will be one of the places in the game that you’ll get to explore.

Personally I want some bigger, more explorable towns, and for more world travel to occur via interlinking field maps and world maps (think Mt Corel sequence in FFVII).

I got to chapter 4 and I need some build recommendations. This is my current team:
(All jobs mentioned for each character are above lvl 10 and their current one is bolded)

Tiz: Black Mage, Red Mage, Pirate & Time Mage
Agnes: White Mage, Salve Maker & Summoner
Edea: Knight, Valkyrie, Swordmaster and I think Thief
Ringabel: Knight, Monk & Ranger

Also, I just got the Ninja job which I know is pretty good. But I kind of feel my team is a mess right now, and despite being near level 60 I think I'm starting to have trouble with bosses. Any help?
You might want to try working Spell Fencer into your melee setup. It's incredibly effective for not only attacking elemental weaknesses but also applying things like Drain and Aspir to your melee weapons. One of my favorite classes.

I always got some good mileage out of having one Ninja and one Swordmaster. You can use Kairai to force the enemy to attack a chosen target and if you do that to your Swordmaster you can focus on a lot of the great counter skills.

Have you read this? Obviously don't do so if you want to avoid any remotely spoilery stuff for the sequel

Personally I want some bigger, more explorable towns, and for more world travel to occur via interlinking field maps and world maps (think Mt Corel sequence in FFVII).
Dude! Duuuuude! Hype levels rising!

I agree with you on the towns as well, I'd love to be able to explore them fully and for them to be a bit larger.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Man, this game is actually challenging. That Black Mage boss actually had me worried for a moment.

How does armor skill work? Like, if a job has an E rank in shields, will shields just not work as well, or are they actually detrimental? I equipped some bronze armor on my freelancer Ringabel dual wielding spear and mage masher before the black mage boss and he was suddenly doing shit damage. I don't know if it was the armor making me do less hits per attack or what. My monk Tiz was doing great damage.

I did that for a good while but once I realized Drain worked with Black Bane there was no turning back!

Edit: Typo in my original comment, I meant Black not Dark.

Also great for constantly healing yourself and getting free adversity buffs!

Which is amazing until you accidentally use it on undead and then one shot yourself XD

Yuterald

I played a bit more of this game last night, but I'm starting to not dig the fact that you can just turn off enemy encounters at any time. It completely trivializes dungeons. You can essentially run an entire dungeon without fighting anything, loot all the chests, get to the boss, try fighting it (to see if you're strong enough) and then just turn back on the encounters on the last screen to grind/do what you need to do in order to get by. I know I have the "choice" to make the game harder/easier on the fly (as I don't HAVE to turn off encounters if I want a traditional "dungeon" experience)...but the option is there, staring me right in the eye, right from the get-go.

For me, dungeon design/flow is something I look forward to/appreciate in RPGs, but here it's completely absent. I would have preferred to have these options locked away. Games like Wild ARMs 4 (and I believe 5) make you play through the majority of a dungeon (up until usually a sub-boss) and THEN you are given the option to turn off encounters. At least in that case you have to earn it. Other games usually tie "no enemy encounters" to a late game skill/accessory too. Here, it feels like you have access to a debug menu or "keys to the city", so to speak. I thought I liked it at first (because I'm not too fond of random encounters anymore), but now it's kind of turning me off the further I invest.

I guess what this game comes down to is how much you like the battle system. It is an interesting system (although a lot of it really is taken from old school Final Fantasy titles), but for me, now it just seems like the motivation to play the game is to just fight bosses and experiment with class/skill builds. I guess that's cool... =/

vareon

I played a bit more of this game last night, but I'm starting to not dig the fact that you can just turn off enemy encounters at any time. It completely trivializes dungeons. You can essentially run an entire dungeon without fighting anything, loot all the chests, get to the boss, try fighting it (to see if you're strong enough) and then just turn back on the encounters on the last screen to grind/do what you need to do in order to get by. I know I have the "choice" to make the game harder/easier on the fly (as I don't HAVE to turn off encounters if I want a traditional "dungeon" experience)...but the option is there, staring me right in the eye, right from the get-go.

For me, dungeon design/flow is something I look forward to/appreciate in RPGs, but here it's completely absent. I would have preferred to have these options locked away. Games like Wild ARMs 4 (and I believe 5) make you play through the majority of a dungeon (up until usually a sub-boss) and THEN you are given the option to turn off encounters. At least in that case you have to earn it. Other games usually tie "no enemy encounters" to a late game skill/accessory too. Here, it feels like you have access to a debug menu or "keys to the city", so to speak. I thought I liked it at first (because I'm not too fond of random encounters anymore), but now it's kind of turning me off the further I invest.

I guess what this game comes down to is how much you like the battle system. It is an interesting system (although a lot of it really is taken from old school Final Fantasy titles), but for me, now it just seems like the motivation to play the game is to just fight bosses and experiment with class/skill builds. I guess that's cool... =/

It's hard to place the blame on the game on this, really. Options are optional, and if you're playing to have fun, you'd tick the options according to what you like anyway. It also opens up possibilities of hardcore plays like no exp, no job level, Freelancer only, etc. I guess the encounter meter was put in due to players feedback for later in the game and they decided to put it from the start.

I may have experienced this first-hand. :p

"Oh, a group of samurai zombies. Nothing my Drain+Black Bane can't match."

*whoooosh*

Battle ends, Tiz is lying on the floor.

Yuterald

It's hard to place the blame on the game on this, really. Options are optional, and if you're playing to have fun, you'd tick the options according to what you like anyway. It also opens up possibilities of hardcore plays like no exp, no job level, Freelancer only, etc. I guess the encounter meter was put in due to players feedback for later in the game and they decided to put it from the start.

Yeah, I'm sort of conflicted on the whole thing. I guess I'm just traditional in the sense that I feel like dungeons should always have proper momentum/build up to their respective boss/event. As you said, I could easily tailor the given options to "recreate" that experience, but the fact that it's so readily available to change/alter throws my mind/perspective on things into a frenzy. I guess I just like certain aspects of gaming/RPGs to be a bit more rigid/set.

Proven

It's all about your mindset. If your mindset is ruining the game for yourself, then you either need to change your mindset or play a different game.

Top Bottom