• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I beat the game and have officially reversed the stance on whether or not Job Fiesta would work for this game.

It would work perfectly provided you beat the game. Start a New Game+ and only transfer over jobs. Get one new job each chapter until you have 4 jobs.

Probably give the player 1 job at the start of the game which they can use as soon as jobs open up and then a second when they finish the prologue. That way you have access to two jobs at the start of chapter one when the game starts to actually get difficult. Having only 1 job for all of chapter 1 wouldn't be very fun and would be more challenging then it's worth. Job fiesta works because you get your first 3 jobs pretty close to each other and your final job still comes with 75% of the game left.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 8, too!? Oh gosh, that's awful. Is there any reason to do these sidequests? I already have Vampire and Conjurer.

They are actually better in that chapter. Finally mixes it up.
All the fights are against teams of bosses instead of individually, kind of like the Einheria+Mephillia+Artemia fight in Chapter 6. Most of them are pretty good fights.

Also, I think it would be less fun to 4 job fiesta this game if it takes too long. My first playthrough will probably be over 3x longer than my first FFV playthrough. I'm not sure Bravely Default is as replayable.

Chapter 8, too!? Oh gosh, that's awful. Is there any reason to do these sidequests? I already have Vampire and Conjurer.

Chapter 7 - Yes.
There are pretty great items/weapons/armor you can steal from most of the sidequest bosses. It's really the one chapter I recommend doing all the sidequests. Chapter 8 if you want a good challenge - no good stealable items in that chapter, though.

Shiina

Is it normal that this game gets a ridiculous difficulty spike after the first two class marks? These pigs hit me for 150 when I barely have 250hp and they can appear in packs of three. I'm on hard and it's been more than fair so far but this seems a little odd.

RangerBAD

Is it normal that this game gets a ridiculous difficulty spike after the first two class marks? These pigs hit me for 150 when I barely have 250hp and they can appear in packs of three. I'm on hard and it's been more than fair so far but this seems a little odd.

Normal mobs are to be feared.

If I beat all the blue exclamation
bosses
, do I have to do it again in
chapters after 5
?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's actually some really fun story bits in Chapter 5 and 6 and they haven't really scaled the bosses yet to make them hard enough that you'll get punished by turning off encounters. I did all the fights in chapter six in maybe half an hour.

The game gives you monk and white mage, one is a glass canon and the other is a frail healer, honestly I'd recommend leaving either Ringabel or Tiz as a Freelancer, have your white mage default on turn 1 and have your offense characters brave to max and go attack crazy, you want to kill at least 1 of the orcs hopefully 2 in those 3 orc battles. Use the white mages extra action the next turn to heal up every then have her default or heal until ringabel and tiz get their turns back.

There's actually some really fun story bits in Chapter 5 and 6 and they haven't really scaled the bosses yet to make them hard enough that you'll get punished by turning off encounters. I did all the fights in chapter six in maybe half an hour.

you did all 18 optional fights + the 4 required ones in 30 minutes
I'm calling BS

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Normal mobs are to be feared.

If I beat all the blue exclamation
bosses
, do I have to do it again in
chapters after 5
?

You don't ever have to do anything in blue. Ever. Do they
come back?
Yes. Are they
different?
a lot actually. They are tougher and more interesting. Some of the hardest fights in the game are behind those subquests.

Another thing I absolutely adore about this game; it's still a challenge at max level with everything maxed out. Oh sure, you can just throw on one of many absurdly broken combos but without that even in the best gear you can face situations that can wreck your party quickly.

you did all 18 optional fights + the 4 required ones in 30 minutes
I'm calling BS

Telport.

Also I didn't count the time I spent reading the journal or watching the events, that probably took another 45 minutes. The fights themselves in Chapter six though I housed.

RangerBAD

You don't ever have to do anything in blue. Ever. Do they
come back?
Yes. Are they
different?
a lot actually. They are tougher and more interesting. Some of the hardest fights in the game are behind those subquests.

Another thing I absolutely adore about this game; it's still a challenge at max level with everything maxed out. Oh sure, you can just throw on one of many absurdly broken combos but without that even in the best gear you can face situations that can wreck your party quickly.

Yeah, I know they're optional. I just wanted to know if they
reappeared.

I've done all the sub-quests so far.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How is the Sweeper bonus determined? Seems completely random, sometimes you get it sometimes you don't even when finishing fights the same way (say, two hits with Crescent Moon).

RangerBAD

How is the Sweeper bonus determined? Seems completely random, sometimes you get it sometimes you don't even when finishing fights the same way (say, two hits with Crescent Moon).

Kill all enemies at the same time. Say two out of three die with Crescent Moon, but in the next braved Crescent Moon you kill the last one you won't get it.

However many enemies there are at the start of the battle is how many you must kill at the same time. Its by far the hardest to get if you use any single target melee users.

Shiina

The game gives you monk and white mage, one is a glass canon and the other is a frail healer, honestly I'd recommend leaving either Ringabel or Tiz as a Freelancer, have your white mage default on turn 1 and have your offense characters brave to max and go attack crazy, you want to kill at least 1 of the orcs hopefully 2 in those 3 orc battles. Use the white mages extra action the next turn to heal up every then have her default or heal until ringabel and tiz get their turns back.

I was kind of doing that but it looks like levels make a lot of difference in this game, at least in terms of damage - good thing there's +100% encounter rate. I also just spent my first money to get better equipment because I haven't bought anything so far.

Does equipping someone (especially a monk) with a shield reduce their damage output?

Telport.

Also I didn't count the time I spent reading the journal or watching the events, that probably took another 45 minutes. The fights themselves in Chapter six though I housed.

see, I know you didn't include any time outside of battle because
I don't think most players could mash X quickly enough

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Kill all enemies at the same time. Say two out of three die with Crescent Moon, but in the next braved Crescent Moon you kill the last one you won't get it.

That would make sense... but I've noticed I never get it against Ruhk mobs even when I kill them at the same time. On the other hand I'm almost positive I'd get it against the Rafflesia enemies even though I usually critical on one and kill it first.

I was kind of doing that but it looks like levels make a lot of difference in this game, at least in terms of damage - good thing there's +100% encounter rate. I also just spent my first money to get better equipment because I haven't bought anything so far.

Does equipping someone (especially a monk) with a shield reduce their damage output?

You can see how gear impacts stats before you buy/equip it. Monks lose their special skill (strength up based upon your level if unarmed) if they hold anything including either a shield or gauntlets. With the later gauntlets are usually stronger at first but if you get to a high enough level your fist with the bonus will out damage them.

Also your problem was probably not getting new gear lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The best way to get sweeper ace for money is two fold.

One is the obvious Max the crap out of black magic or summoning and go for the usual monster weakness of the best area for grinding (Florem, so Fire) using stuff like Pierce M.Def and Amps along with the best magic equipment you have.

The easier way of course is to use the power of the final job.

EDIT: I had a monk or two the entire game and I never felt they dragged. Semi liabilities on longer fights and doomed against anything with counters but keeping them alive or reviving them was nothing compared to the face meltery they did most of the time.

Krelian

I only recently started the game and I'm in chapter 2 currently. My characters are level 27. I switched Tiz' job from Thief to Spell Fencer but his damage output was pitiful, even with magic sword. Is it because he was only starting out or because I don't have a strong weapon? I was using a Sleep Sword but as Thief with a bow he was far more useful. Does the job just suck for Tiz or do I have to be more patient?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Stats are affected by job level, so if you switch to a lower level job they will suffer some. If you were using an Angel Bow then chances are anything else you'll put on a non-Thief/Ranger at the moment will be worse.

duckroll

Man these Chap 4 subquest
elemental keystone dragons
can go right to hell

Just have a mix of heavy hitting characters with Nothing Ventured, and super fast characters with Utsusemi + Transience. Make sure one of the dodgers can also heal when needed. Put it on auto until you need to heal. That's how I did all the fights. Boring as hell.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I used templar strategy plus a performer to boost bp, for the dragons, worked like a charm!

Tom_Cody

Side Quest question:

I'm in Ancheim (the area from the demo) and I am pursuing the side quest. I got the
Thief Asterisk
and then the
Merchant Asterisk
. Question:

After defeating Profiteur (the merchant) you are presented with another letter which would seem to indicate that you should revisit the town at night in order to continue on with your investigation into the water hoarding. I returned at night and I wasn't able to figure out what to do

Am I missing something, or do I just need to complete more of the main quest before I can continue to advance the side quest?

Okay so I'm at the end of the game (True End):

Just fought the ultimate Airy fight I think (she had flames around her and kept doing that spell that got rid of all my buffs and would immediately hit me with a super magic attack. Took me like 4 tries to get through the battle without dying.

With that said, I know there's like 4 or 5 fights after that, are they just as bad as the one I just did, or is the worst part over and I could easily finish this game and put it away finally?

Side Quest question:

I'm in Ancheim (the area from the demo) and I am pursuing the side quest. I got the
Thief Asterisk
and then the
Merchant Asterisk
. Question:

After defeating Profiteur (the merchant) you are presented with another letter which would seem to indicate that you should revisit the town at night in order to continue on with your investigation into the water hoarding. I returned at night and I wasn't able to figure out what to do

Am I missing something, or do I just need to complete more of the main quest before I can continue to advance the side quest?
At that point you just need to advance the main story a little and eventually you'll see a blue exclamation marker back in Ancheim.

vareon

Side Quest question:

Thief Asterisk
and then the
Merchant Asterisk
. Question:

Complete more of the main quest.

Specifically,
deal with the crystal first

Fireblend

Banned
I'm enjoying this game, but I have some complaints that are keeping it from being great:

1. Dungeon design is atrocious. If someone told me they were procedurally generated, I would believe them 100%. Other than a couple of caves, it seems like they were designed to maximize the amount of traveling between points instead of making them interesting. It's as if they designed 5 generic dungeons and then just applied different skins to them.

2. The lore and the world itself feels too disconnected. The party could be traveling between different planets and it wouldn't change a thing. There's no sense of it being a cohesive world at all, cities are unbelievably away from each other. Heck, even Golden Sun did a better job on this front. This was made even more apparent when I was made to travel back and forth between the first city and the fire city like 3 times.

Tom_Cody

One more question: Any advice on early game job progression?

I played through every bit of the demo and I especially enjoyed playing around with different job/ability combinations. It has been a mild let-down to be hours into the game and to still have such relatively limited options at my disposal.

Any thoughts on what job paths I should pursue?

One more question: Any advice on early game job progression?

I played through every bit of the demo and I especially enjoyed playing around with different job/ability combinations. It has been a mild let-down to be hours into the game and to still have such relatively limited options at my disposal.

Any thoughts on what job paths I should pursue?

Just mix around and balance it out. Chapter 1 doesn't have the greatest mix of jobs available but you get more interesting/useful jobs in Chapter 2.

Mephala

I need Lucifer for Aeroga.

I'm curious. If we were to become friends and I sent Aeroga which I just nabbed from Lucifer as an attack, can you then use that on one of your characters to learn the ability? If not would using it on an enemy which you first cast Reflect on work?

Edit. It seems Aeroga or maybe all Genome Abilities cannot be reflected. I noticed I could target my own units with Friend attacks though. Possibly worth giving it a shot if anyone is interested.
Edit 2. Looks like the -ja genomes from Norend cannot target allies at all, whether it is cast yourself or via friend summon. :(

Ponn

Banned
Just have a mix of heavy hitting characters with Nothing Ventured, and super fast characters with Utsusemi + Transience. Make sure one of the dodgers can also heal when needed. Put it on auto until you need to heal. That's how I did all the fights. Boring as hell.

So far ive been trying to level each character up differently to have each class available but i dont have much multiples yet except Valkyries and Swordmasters. The elements arent so much a bother but the status ailments are whats causing me a headache. Im about halfway through them with a Swordmaster, Summoner/white mage, Valkyrie and Pirate.

I first thought the Pirate class would be such a joke throwaway job but man its really useful and awesome so far. Same with Salvemaker as a secondary, really useful class.

Krelian

Stats are affected by job level, so if you switch to a lower level job they will suffer some. If you were using an Angel Bow then chances are anything else you'll put on a non-Thief/Ranger at the moment will be worse.
Thanks. I spent a little time grinding and he's much better now.

I'm curious. If we were to become friends and I sent Aeroga which I just nabbed from Lucifer as an attack, can you then use that on one of your characters to learn the ability? If not would using it on an enemy which you first cast Reflect on work?

Edit. It seems Aeroga or maybe all Genome Abilities cannot be reflected. I noticed I could target my own units with Friend attacks though. Possibly worth giving it a shot if anyone is interested.
Edit 2. Looks like the -ja genomes from Norend cannot target allies at all, whether it is cast yourself or via friend summon. :(

That sounds like a great plan... Oh darn, it doesn't work? Is there a loophole I wonder?

I hear Europe just got Lucifer+ so he shouldn't be in short supply.

ys45

37h and at the start of chapter 5 .
Party lvl 60 and they pretty much have all available jobs at lvl 9 at least

What were they thinking when they did the story of this game ?! they wanted to add hour to the game and they did not know how to do it so they decided hey lets make them re fight all the crystal bosses ?

How far am I from finishing this game in term of hours ?
Dark Souls 2 is coming next week I need to clear my schedule :p

bumpkin

I really need to get back into BD. I think I'm most of the way through chapter 3, but it's been out of my 3DS for the first time in weeks since I got Pokemon X through the Club Nintendo promo. Maybe tonight.

Truth be told, I've spent the past few hours of my BD playtime just grinding, trying to level up to a point that I feel comfortable proceeding. Ever since I got to
Eternia
, I feel like regular enemies' strength ratcheted up significantly. I've had my party get wrecked several times in what, in my mind, were just routine encounters. It's actually a little off-putting. I'm hoping it's not a sign of things to come.

I hate when RPGs make me have to grind just to be strong enough to progress in the story.

Soriku

Man these Chap 4 subquest
elemental keystone dragons
can go right to hell

These fights can be safely auto battled.

Have 4x Ninjas. Get Transience and Comeback Kid from Ninja, Turn Tables from Red Mage. In battle, use Brave once and use Utsusemi as your first action and a normal attack for your second. Set auto battle afterwards.

Your characters will keep dodging their attacks and dish out damage at the same time without running out of BP. You don't even need to heal.

This strategy can even be applied to DeRosso, lol.

AJTsuki

Neo Member
t9Ta2Ih.gif

The pig don't mind, he just loves all the attention.

Korosenai

Any tips on how to beat DeRosa, Einheria, and her sisters? Multiburst from Artemia and Crescent Moon from Einheria wrecks me.

Tom_Cody

These fights can be safely auto battled.

Have 4x Ninjas. Get Transience and Comeback Kid from Ninja, Turn Tables from Red Mage. In battle, use Brave once and use Utsusemi as your first action and a normal attack for your second. Set auto battle afterwards.

Your characters will keep dodging their attacks and dish out damage at the same time without running out of BP. You don't even need to heal.

This strategy can even be applied to DeRosso, lol.
I can't wait to unlock more jobs.

Those demo feels.

Top Bottom